Buying domain names

(7 Posts)
Jax2218 Thu 03-Jan-13 23:11:54

Hello,

Please someone point me in the right direction here. We have our business name and want to buy the .com and .co.uk domains names. We will be having our web site designed in the near future.

Should I buy the domain names now and how long should I buy them for? Say I bought them for 2 years could someone come in and buy them from under us? Therefore is it wise to go for a longer time?

I have no clue abut this website stuff.

Any help would be great

thank you

Jax

moomoomar Fri 04-Jan-13 01:34:11

When I designed my website I used 123 reg for our domain. Are you having someone design it for you or are you using one of the web designer sites yourself? My BIL has just signed up to one and his domain came free with it.

I've only done mine for 2 years, I think we can buy it again after that, I bloody hope so anyway!!

jemjabella Sat 05-Jan-13 22:00:20

123-reg are fine for domains, just don't let them add any of the spammy extras to your basket.

Once you've registered them, they're yours until they expire (unless you renew them). Nobody can re-buy them.

ethelb Mon 07-Jan-13 13:09:00

Yournamehere.co.uk is a good uk based company that is reasonable and doesnt add on any silly extras. They offer other services you may need in the future v reasonably too!

They can only be stolen out from under you if you are using someone else's name - eg tescoshopping.co.uk orjax something.

If you register jaxshop.co.uk or whatever you shouldn't encounter any problems.

Do check on Companies House and UKIPO for other trading names already in use though, particularly if your business has the scope to be regional/national/international.

webstuff Mon 11-Feb-13 11:38:40

You usually get a renewal reminder from whoever you buy it from before it's due to expire, giving you the option of renewing before it goes back onto open market. It should be fine to uy the domain names from wherever you can ge them cheapest (and shop around as there can be quote a difference). You should be able to transfer them free of charge to wherever ends up hosting your website.

mattmarlow Wed 13-Feb-13 15:01:35

123-reg are fine for domain names but would really not recommend them for hosting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now