Argh!!! I really need to stop pontificating!

(6 Posts)
chelseamorning Fri 14-Dec-12 11:20:04

I have lots of online business ideas - viable in principle - which I've been researching for months. My problem is that I'm now feeling overwhelmed and just don't know how to start!

- Which site building software?
- Which provider?
- Will affiliate marketing be financially successful?
- Am I trying to start too big, and want to run before I walk?

I can do this, right? I'm an intelligent woman with a tech brain and I learn easily. I've been self-employed for over 12 years but now want to change direction slightly.

So why can't I get started????! Having severely reduced my workload over the last 6 years to raise my DS, perhaps I've lot some confidence.

Please, come and share your wisdom and experience.

Hi,

I suppose we really need to know the sort of thing you are thinking about - a shop, some sort of service or whatever? What you are planning will determine whether you are starting too big imo.

As for which site building software, I presume that you are going to build the site yourself. I have only experience of having one built so I can't really help you there but I just wanted to clarify what it is you are trying to achieve.

As for why you can't get started? Well, it is a lot of work and it will take a lot of time so it will be a commitment. Better not to rush into it until you are absolutely sure as there are costs attached.

NotMostPeople Fri 14-Dec-12 17:26:22

You're not pontificating you're procrastinating smile I'm a master at both so await someone who will tell us how to just get on with it.

Twitterqueen Fri 14-Dec-12 17:31:28

If you're asking other people to answer your questions and resolve your - as yet non-existent business - problems, clearly you're not ready to startup.

Sorry - harsh but true. The only person who can make those decisions is you. You'll get some stuff wrong and some stuff right. Then you get more right than you do wrong. It's called learning and progress.

Accept it and embrace it.

zumo Wed 09-Jan-13 18:27:46

If you use LCN.com, they will give you good service and a free copy of Serif X5, you can upgrade to X 6 for about £40, if you can use word and publisher you should be up and running in a few days

TheFarSide Wed 09-Jan-13 18:41:21

I procrastinated when I decided to go self-employed - in my case, it was partly about making sure everything was in place so that nothing would go wrong, which is unrealistic. It was also about not wanting to spend any money (eg on professional indemnity insurance) in case I didn't earn any money, then not being able to "launch" because I didn't have insurance - a kind of self-imposed chicken and egg situation.

I think the underlying issue was fear - fear of failing, and fear of losing money.

<deep>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now