Honest feedback on jewellery designs please.

(37 Posts)
eatsleeppoop Mon 03-Dec-12 13:47:17

Hello all

I am a SAHM and have been thinking about starting up an online jewellery business selling some of my designs. However before I plough lots of time and money into this, I want to get some feedback on whether my designs would sell! Any ideas on how to achieve this would be gratefully received, or if you could spare a few minutes to look at the couple of photos I have on my profile that would be fantastic.

My first idea is for a vintage-inspired range of beaded jewellery using semi-precious stones, swarovski crystals and rhinestones with antique brass findings (see picture for prototype earrings).

My second idea is for a range of pendants and earrings made with Liberty fabrics coated in resin (see picture for prototype pendants).

Would you buy either of these?

Without spending a fortune, how can I gauge the popularity of my designs?

Thanks in advance.

goralka Mon 03-Dec-12 13:53:15

I like the Liberty ones eatsleeppoop and think they would be quite popular these days but i am not 'on the street' and observing what is fashionable.......
could you put on your fb and ask for some opinions there?

CotedePablo Mon 03-Dec-12 15:26:55

The Liberty ones are lovely, and it's the kind of thing I would buy, assuming the price was right, as a gift. Not so sure about the earrings but I think that's just down to my taste, as I'm not too keen on drop earrings, prefer studs.

Do you mind if I ask what sort of prices you would be thinking of?

Pootles2010 Mon 03-Dec-12 15:29:06

I think they're lovely! I'd put them against a plainer background though, its quite difficult to see detailing against such a 'busy' patter. I really do like them though, and don't often like handmade stuff.

WowOoo Mon 03-Dec-12 15:31:07

I like them both.
The earings would be lovely to add a bit of glam to an outfit, especially a going out one.

The pendants I see as more of an everyday thing. A splash of colour for a dull work outfit (me, most days!)
I have a chain and I like to chnage the pendants I wear on it.
So, I'd buy.
Good luck, lovely idea.
I have recently been looking at pendants and I haven't seen anything like yours - a gap in the market.

buttercrumble Mon 03-Dec-12 15:32:00

The liberty ones are beautiful, the others less so . But thats just personal taste, you are amazingly talented.

cynnerthenaughtyreindeer Mon 03-Dec-12 15:34:28

I love vintage jewelry...so pretty! Good luck OP smile

ivykaty44 Mon 03-Dec-12 15:34:38

There is nothing objectionable with either, but I could take them or leave them and wouldn't choose the necklace unless someone had told me that was what they really liked - the earrings I find a bit bland.

HTH even it if it isn't what you really want to hear - sorry

mistlethrush Mon 03-Dec-12 15:37:36

I like the pendants too - might you be able to make studs in a similar way if the design was small enough?

eatsleeppoop Mon 03-Dec-12 19:17:27

Thank you for all the feedback so far - I don't expect everyone to like these obviously, but just want to see if there appears to be a market for this type of jewellery, so negative comments welcome too!

TheSecondComing Mon 03-Dec-12 19:20:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

baublesandbaileys Mon 03-Dec-12 19:22:44

the earings look very home-madey, not in a good way
the pendants are nice

goralka Mon 03-Dec-12 19:26:33

have to agree if I was looking for a gift I would not look twice at the earrings but I might just buy a pendant.
Have you got some black velvet or something to display them on?

girlgonemild Mon 03-Dec-12 19:30:54

I also dislike the earrings. they look like a lot of others on traidcraft stalls etc.
I like the liberty print ones and think studs like that would also be great.

eatsleeppoop Mon 03-Dec-12 19:34:42

To be honest, I haven't thought past the initial idea, as I wasn't sure whether there would be a market for my designs, so I haven't determined a price yet - what sort of price would you be willing to pay for a pendant?

eatsleeppoop Mon 03-Dec-12 19:36:37

Thanks for suggestions re display - it was just a quick photo I took on my phone today so I agree it's not ideal and too bright/busy! So far it's looking like the earrings are a no-go but the pendants seem quite popular.

FromEsme Mon 03-Dec-12 19:39:28

I really love the liberty ones and could see myself wearing them or buying them as a present.

The earrings are fairly bog standard, but not objectionable.

goralka Mon 03-Dec-12 19:40:41

well it would depend on where you were selling them....up market boutique, online, or on the beach?

goralka Mon 03-Dec-12 19:44:06

perhaps you could create an online shop? Using Liberty prints for jewellery is brilliant - agree about the matching studs too...

JumpinJackFrost Mon 03-Dec-12 19:47:34

I like the pendant too. Have a look on Etsy and Folksy for ideas on what sells and at what price. Good luck with your fledgling business!

AnaisB Mon 03-Dec-12 19:57:04

The pendants are a fab idea - the earrings don't seem as special.

what's on the back of the pendants?
quite like them.
used to make the earrings (similar) when i was at uni and sell them at markets/ craft fairs, wouldn't buy as i would feel like i could make them myself.

not sure - am wary of spending a lot on craft type jewellery - will it last?

eatsleeppoop Mon 03-Dec-12 20:15:55

I was thinking of an online shop (but not on Etsy etc) and aiming fairly up-market with good quality pendant settings, chains etc.

Will definitely look into stud earrings too.

I think if you had half a dozen of the pendants on a choker/chain it would look really special - it's nice and a day piece as one pendant but a few along a chain going into a drop of a large one could look really special.

baublesandbaileys Mon 03-Dec-12 20:32:02

would it be nice if you offered a service where people's sentimental fabrics (bits of wedding dress etc) could be made into pendants (sort of a modern version of putting them in quilts) ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now