Finding an accountant

(6 Posts)
n4mum Tue 27-Nov-12 14:01:05

Hi
i am setting myself up as a freelance consultant and have been advised that the best way to do manage it all is to set up a Limited Company. I am looking for an accountant that can help me do that and also then take on the accounts / payroll for my company from then on. How do I find one!? I can do some google searching but does anyone have any more reliable recommendations or ways to find someone / a firm?
Thanks

Lavenderhoney Tue 27-Nov-12 14:12:39

Your local business link will be very helpful with lots of questions and I am sure will recommend you an accountant. Hope that helps!

emma123456 Thu 29-Nov-12 22:22:05

Make sure they are qualified and regulated. Anyone can call themselves an accountant.
Word of mouth is best, talk to people you know who are self employed and ask who they use. If you are based nr Sheffield pm me!!!!

Entreprenizzle Fri 07-Dec-12 13:51:04

It may be cheaper to set up as a sole trader than a Ltd Co. I agree, talk to Business Link. They have been so helpful to me.

I would also advise to fit the accountancy firm to the job you need doing. I used to pay eight times as much for my personal tax - I used a second tier firm, when the much smaller firm I moved to, with lower charge out rates, is fine.

Izzy1098 Thu 13-Dec-12 11:00:07

As mentioned above you need to make sure that whoever you choose is properly qualified as anyone can call themselves an accountant. This article does a good job of explaining the difference between an "accountant" and a Chartered accountant izzbox.com/what-is-a-chartered-accountant/

I would definitely speak with an accountant before setting up as a Limited Company as they will be in the best position to advise if it is the right road to go down. I can recommend Hashtag Accountants in Wolverhampton but not sure where you are based?

Miller1977 Sat 12-Jan-13 20:06:21

Thought this may help you. Got some good information in it which might help you think about all of the different factors involved. www.intouchaccounting.com/assets/downloads/choosing_accountant.pdf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now