Welcome to the Business Start-ups Topic!

(91 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 12-Nov-12 14:42:28

Hello.

We have created this new discussion topic for those of you who have just started, or are thinking of starting, a new business.

The board itself is supported by Barclays but is very much inspired by Talk threads on all aspects of business that made us realise that many of you would welcome a dedicated space where you can discuss business and share your views. We'll be moving some of those threads to this topic over the next few days.

So, welcome! We hope you'll use this topic to swap all manner of advice, info and tips.

dizzydixies Wed 14-Nov-12 15:44:01

Although I DO have the twitter/FB page, a blog set up and the domain name that links back to the blog until I get the webpage set up. One Tax return in, another one almost finished and fingers crossed heading to an expansion this year.

I've found the banks to be less than helpful sad so getting all the books done by an accountant should hopefully seal a business plan and maybe some investment.

It's all rather terrifying isn't it.

Ooh, thank yougrin I wondered who my new "like" was.
I don't drive, but as long as you're vaguely near public transport I'm sure we can work something out.
I do framed personalised stories too, which I can post out, if people far away want the "Short Story Lady" experience.
<shameless plug>
Seriously, I love getting input on my stories and website from fresh eyes, as my friends are too nice to say if any of it is pants. I got some great website advice yesterday from a MNer on a FB entrepreneur group.
I got my first proper enquiry yesterday, from a group in Warrington, to do a Christmas party. I worded the reply in such a way that the assumption is that I'll be doing the gig unless they formally refuse. I wasn't that blatant about it, hope my cheek pays off and they don't just think I'm rude!

This is what I love about MN, meeting people who you wouldnt normally come across in RL who are willing to help each other out. Its great!

BigGiggles Wed 14-Nov-12 17:13:25

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BigGiggles Wed 14-Nov-12 17:34:04

Hi
I've been working from home now for 2 years and it's hard! I keep thinking about washing up and tidying the house. i just can't seem to switch off. I'm sure that having an office is more constructive but it costs money!! sad

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-Nov-12 17:49:31

We're so pleased that folks are so enthusiastic about this topic - hurrah!

But please do remember that it's whole topic, not just one discussion thread.

Do feel free to venture out and start your own thread within this Business Start-ups topic: the more the merrier!

PurpleGeekyGirl Wed 14-Nov-12 20:25:44

bettythebuilder I shall do that! I think I just need more info about what the differences are, it's all so complicated when you're first starting out and whilst I get being a sole trader the idea of the Ltd side and being an employee/director with all the stuff that needs sorting is scary!!

PurpleGeekyGirl Wed 14-Nov-12 20:27:19

teamedward Hi I'm another baker! What did you have to do re EHO registration? What did they look for when they visited? I haven't got to that stage yet and am scared by it, but I do have a basic food hygiene cert now smile

RumBaaBaa Wed 14-Nov-12 20:48:47

Thanks for the explanation HelenMN.

TeamEdward Wed 14-Nov-12 22:06:42

PurlpleGeekyGirl - I think I'll start a new thread about EHO and small businesses on this topic, come and find me!

SuzanneC Thu 15-Nov-12 10:58:36

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

sausagerolemodel Mon 19-Nov-12 02:10:49

Seeing as Barclays are watching, I would like to tell them that their centralised business support (seminars, online resources) are good but my experience at branch level as been dire. Enquiring about an overdraft I was told by my "business support manager" I would need a profit and loss forecast. I hadnt done one before and asked if she could help with a template or similar. She said I "should maybe google it".

She also recommended that I apply for the credit card online, incurring charge of £96 for the privelege (because start ups can't afford to throw away a hundred quid and it was hidden in the small print). When I called to cancel it having realised this, discovered she had access to an "in branch" waiver of the fee she could have used. I was in her office when she told me to apply online!

She clearly has no real idea of the day to day practicalities of starting a small business and Barclays could do with having better trained people in these positions that at least can point you to the online resources if they don't know the stuff themselves.

NewKateMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 19-Nov-12 12:02:32

sausagerolemodel

Seeing as Barclays are watching, I would like to tell them that their centralised business support (seminars, online resources) are good but my experience at branch level as been dire. Enquiring about an overdraft I was told by my "business support manager" I would need a profit and loss forecast. I hadnt done one before and asked if she could help with a template or similar. She said I "should maybe google it".

She also recommended that I apply for the credit card online, incurring charge of £96 for the privelege (because start ups can't afford to throw away a hundred quid and it was hidden in the small print). When I called to cancel it having realised this, discovered she had access to an "in branch" waiver of the fee she could have used. I was in her office when she told me to apply online!

She clearly has no real idea of the day to day practicalities of starting a small business and Barclays could do with having better trained people in these positions that at least can point you to the online resources if they don't know the stuff themselves.

We've been in touch with Barclays for you and they've asked us to post up the following response:

"We're sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience. Please contact Barclays direct at wr@barclays.com with your full name and postcode and they will be happy to look into this for you."

sausagerolemodel Tue 20-Nov-12 00:28:54

Oh dear. I award myself a biscuit. It was late, I was tired - I didn't intend for that to sound like quite such a rant. But thanks for the response MN and Barclays.

ClareMarriott Tue 20-Nov-12 12:05:22

hi I set up my decluttering company 6 months ago and although I have done work for clients , have a website, belong to the professional body and advertise myself as much as I can, I would be interested in learning more ways of actually getting people to part with their money! Thanks

Hi clare, have you thought about arranging to give a quick talk to mother and baby groups? I think if someone came up to me and offered to organise my home I would jump down at the chance! If I had the money to of course smile
I too am waiting for someone to place an order with my website, I've only been up and selling for 2 weeks though so I shouldnt moan too much, I dont even know if my site is showing on google when you put the key words in!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now