Prop feeding

(6 Posts)
CraftyBuddhist Thu 27-Feb-14 21:58:16

I am curious about prop feeding.

I remember ages ago there was a device that someone posted about which enables a baby to be prop fed. I remember feeling aghast, as many others did.

Disclaimer: I bf both children no bottles so feeding naturally requires, to me, an element of 'in arms'.

Today I saw a 12 week old baby scream for a feed for about five minutes whereupon both parents sat on their smartphones while baby, lying on her back in a pram, had a bottle plonked on a rolled up blanket under her chin and she guzzles away without a glance from her parents.

This is not AIBU. It was none of my business. But i was quite sad for the little one.

Do people genuinely do this? I had no idea. Surely there is a choking risk, not to mention the lack if being held.

Am I just a bit out is touch?

minunnimi Thu 27-Feb-14 23:29:03

Yes people really do do this, what a sad start in life for the little mites sad

TheScience Thu 27-Feb-14 23:30:54

Yes, people do this. I can kind of understand the temptation if you are in a rush to get somewhere and can prop the bottle in the pram while walking, but it's still dangerous and lazy.

ForgettableTampon Thu 27-Feb-14 23:33:00

it's horrible to see, such a cold way to behave; feeding via bottle can be just as close as BF

and yes a choke hazard

CraftyBuddhist Fri 28-Feb-14 18:55:10

Glad in not alone in feeling a little troubled by it.

I think the combination of prop feeding and surfing on smartphones over a coffee is what really got me!

Queenofthedrivensnow Sat 01-Mar-14 19:51:14

I've seen it done bit only twice ever. I have to be fair seen mums sitting on benches/anything that's available to bf/ff their baby in the street grin now I'm thinking about it I see mums in the feeding room in mothercare ff a lot too. I had never given it any thought before but now I have I see it as taking time out to feed the baby in a quiet calm place despite being able to ff a baby anywhere. Bottle propping is wrong but it is unusual grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now