sterilise breast pump each time?

(9 Posts)
sleepyhead Thu 12-Sep-13 00:51:40

I just keep the pump (hand one) in the fridge with clingfilm over the funnel end if I'm expressing more than once in 24hrs.

Wash thoroughly in hot soapy water and leave to air dry once a day.

The hospital told me that this was now felt to be sufficient for items that come into contact with breast milk and they no longer advise sterilising.

Cavort Thu 12-Sep-13 00:28:44

If I am doing little and often I put the bottle with funnel and other bits still attached into the fridge until I'm ready to carry on and then sterilise once a day after I'm done.

Victoria2002 Wed 11-Sep-13 14:16:47

I believe you can take the but that actually touches your boob/gets milky and put it in a zip lock bag in the fridge between uses as long as you sterilise it properly every day.

Bunnychan Wed 11-Sep-13 13:58:47

I chuck it into a bowl of boiling hot water from the kettle after each use. I then sterilise it properly once a week x

shentok Wed 11-Sep-13 13:57:08

thanks all, I'm very much doing it little and often so will be a pain to sterilise it each time x

impatienttobemummy Wed 11-Sep-13 13:43:15

I sterilised every time, had an electric pump thought you had to

minipie Wed 11-Sep-13 13:41:43

I think the instructions on mine said rinse after each use and sterilise once per 24 hrs.

Personally, I didn't, just made sure I gave it a good wash with hot soapy water after each use (rinsed well).

shentok Wed 11-Sep-13 13:36:32

hello ladies, I've just started expressing and wondered whether the pump needs to be sterilised each use? thanks x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now