overnight feeds

(11 Posts)
lucyarmstead Mon 09-Sep-13 18:48:05

Hi,
If my husband is bottle feeding LO overnight, can I not take out a refridgerated bottle at 10pm when I BF her, to warm slowly at room temperature, ready for him to give at 2am? Surely 4 hours out of the fridge is enough to warm it and not too long that bacteria would grow? I can't find the answer on the internet so any ideas welcome!

bundaberg Mon 09-Sep-13 18:52:53

no. milk is an ideal breeding ground for bacteria, so leaving it out at room temp for hours is a bad idea.

ideally you should be making it up with fresh boiled water at each feed

its only ok for 2 hours max at room temperature so leaving it out for 4 hours would not be advised.

could you use cartons as they can be served at room temperature?

hettienne Mon 09-Sep-13 19:44:23

Is it breastmilk or formula? Fresh breastmilk is good for about 6 hours at room temperature.

bundaberg Mon 09-Sep-13 19:49:01

hettienne is totally right about breastmilk.

don't know why i assumed it was formula! sorry

lucyarmstead Mon 09-Sep-13 20:00:36

is Breast milk. So it is ok?

hettienne Mon 09-Sep-13 20:02:39

Depends when you expressed it. If it is expressed that day, goes straight into the fridge and then is out for 4 hours I'd say it's probably ok.

Breast milk is fine out on the counter for at least 6 hours.

bundaberg Mon 09-Sep-13 20:03:09

yes fine with breastmilk.

in fact, a study showed that breastmilk left out at room temp had less bacteria in it several hours later than it did to start with!

lucyarmstead Mon 09-Sep-13 20:08:05

It is frozen breast milk. I will take it out of the freezer that morning and put it in the fridge to defrost.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now