overwhelmed and a bit caught out by feelings

(13 Posts)
Springforward Sun 28-Apr-13 22:08:49

I felt like that when DS stopped at 23 months, even though it was only a bedtime feed and I chose to end it by replacing it with a cup of warm cow's milk and an extra story. It's the end of an era, I think it's normal to feel sad. Be kind to yourself for a bit OP.

MumOfTheMoos Sun 28-Apr-13 22:03:51

My DS went on a nursing strike at 11.5mths, 6 weeks ago and I now know he's not going to be feeding again. He of course is happy as anything with his guernsey cows milk in a straw cup!

I am so sad that he's finished feeding though I know that it was always going to have to happen - we had such a struggle to start as he had tongue tie and could never latch until he had it snipped at 4 weeks and then we were off!

Of everything, since DS was born, breast feeding has been the most highly charged emotional thing - I was distraught when I couldn't feed him when he was first born and am heartbroken that its over.

But for 11 months I had the most wonderful experience of breastfeeding him and I have to keep reminding myself of that!

amazingface Sun 28-Apr-13 21:35:03

Oh god, I still feel a bit like this and I stopped two months ago when dd was 13months. (Hence me lurking on the bf board like some weirdo hmm). I think people don't talk about this enough, actually, because it's not a very 'rational' emotion so we feel like we're being silly?

As if ration ever comes into anything involving having children grin

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 28-Apr-13 19:46:16

I think it's so normal to feel like that - it shows what a cosy and lovely time it was.

I'm sending you some thanks for a job well done!

Limelight Sun 28-Apr-13 16:36:44

Oh it's really tough. If it makes you feel any better, here's how I reacted. WARNING PISSED AND EMOTIONAL KLAXON

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/breast_and_bottle_feeding/1417283-Goodbye-to-all-that

flipflopson5thavenue Thu 25-Apr-13 10:17:08

DS is 9mo and still bf on demand. I go back to work in 4 months and my work pattern will mean I will leave the house before he wakes up. I am in denial at the thought of how I will cope without giving him his morning feed when he wakes up :-(( Am sure he'll be fine and he'll be over 13mo then so who knows, he may not be having much anyway, or will be happy with milk from a cup/bottle from DP, but the thought of it now breaks my heart.

I think its normal to be bereft and to miss it when its over. I guess that's why we keep having more babies :-)

Raspberrysorbet Tue 23-Apr-13 19:28:08

<wallows in wine>

Raspberrysorbet Tue 23-Apr-13 19:27:47

<bursts into tears at memory of bedtime feed>

But in all honesty, there was no milky mess Knitt the gradual cut down meant no superboobs, no nothing. It all just stopped. He knew what he was doing, my boy <sob>

knitterati Tue 23-Apr-13 19:25:24

I think I'll be dropping the morning and bedtime milk for DD1 (13m) soon. Fully expecting to be a hormonal, milky mess. Chin up OP and have that extra glass of wine you can now have!

zadie78 Tue 23-Apr-13 19:24:48

I felt just like you do too. Even now I could get a bit sad about it if I let myself, and our youngest is now 5.....

Have a little wallow, why not?

flowers

Raspberrysorbet Tue 23-Apr-13 19:21:27

I tried to snap myself out of it by remembering the first bit with the blistery nipples, or the bit when he first got teeth and he would have a good old bite.

I could only remember the good bits.

Stupid fucking memory.

MyNameIsAnAnagram Tue 23-Apr-13 19:18:19

Nopegrin of course you are emotional, it's the end of an era. Congratulations on a job well done smile

Raspberrysorbet Tue 23-Apr-13 19:14:43

I breastfed my son until he was 1, which was a few weeks ago - he basically dropped his daytime feeds himself, and with a bit of encouragement dropped his nighttime ones too, with no problems. He is healthy, happy, never asks for a feed, eats like a horse and drinks cups of water and milk with no problems.

But I saw someone breastfeeding a baby today and it made me well up. I feel so sad that I probably will never do that again.

I need to get a grip, right?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now