Can a bf 9m old partially-weaned baby be left for 18 hours with just water and food?

(31 Posts)

What would be the best way of doing this?

If it was less time I would just give the odd cows milk substitute.

The problem is made worse by the fact that on Monday I am leaving him for 12 hours with no milk, and then following that with Tuesday for 18 hours.

WWYD?

GirlOutNumbered Sun 24-Mar-13 21:31:17

Well, I will BF him before I leave about 9 and hope to be back by 3 Maja, so not a full day.

He's never had a bottle so wouldn't know what to do with it, but drinks from a free-flow cup. He'll drink water (and spit it out and laugh too hmm).

Softlysoftly Sun 24-Mar-13 21:33:14

Girl 6 months is a world away from 9 months as they usually aren't consuming enough solid food to make the difference.

You'll need to get formula!

Softlysoftly Sun 24-Mar-13 21:38:14

Out of interest what does he eat/drink in the day as I worry dd2 had basically dropped all day feeds other than a swift one at 2.

She has weetabix and fruit for bfast, snack at 11, eg eggs/cheese & toast and fruit for lunch. Bf at 2 or snack if not with me, HUGE cooked tea and yoghurt at 5 then ff to bed and bf sporadically through the night. Water with and between every meal yet she's still constipated sad

We have no routine tbh. BFing is always the back-up/main food.

Some time in the morning he'll have oats spooned down his throat. At dinner he'll just have bits from our plates.

In the middle of the day he might have a pouch of something or the dinner from the night before blended, but lunch might get forgotten altogether depending on what we are doing.

Softlysoftly Mon 25-Mar-13 08:23:01

Hmmm that's how dd1 was I thought dd2 had dropped day milk a little fast. She feeds herself too. ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now