When should I stop bottle feeds?

(10 Posts)
frazzledbutcalm Mon 25-Mar-13 13:53:08

I wouldn't reduce the bottle amount ... Try cup in morning as you've said then just play night-time by ear ... If she takes morning cup well then she might actually take night-time in a cup also. She can still have her usual amount of milk just in a different cup (if poss!). It depends on how strongly you feel about not wanting her to have a bottle. If you feel very strongly then try cold turkey. If you're not too fussed then continue with night-time bottle for a while. smile

Zoogeek Sat 23-Mar-13 20:31:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

why not give the morning one in a cup and keep the night-time one in the bottle until you feel ready to switch that one to the cup as well

Zoogeek Sat 23-Mar-13 07:45:40

wigglesrock Fri 22-Mar-13 16:56:13

My 25 month old still has her bottle before bed. It's a comfort thing - she doesn't feed to sleep and very occasionally asks for one during the day if she's upset or unwell. I have no problem with it at all. She will give it up when she's ready.

My DS suddenly weaned himself off at 19 months. Went to Egypt having a night time bottle, came back and first night back and ever since he refused.

frazzledbutcalm Fri 22-Mar-13 14:47:34

Mine had given up the bottle before they reached their first birthday.

As told to me by a dentist ... bottles/dummies should ideally be given up no later than age 2 ... because it's not just baby teeth that can be caused to stick out as a result, the jaw line/bone itself actually can start to grow in the stick out shape. Can't be fixed once it's grown that way ...

ChunkyEasterChick Fri 22-Mar-13 11:56:14

Hopefully won't get flamed for this but my DD will be 3yo nxt mth & still has a bottle at night. We brush her teeth after etc but with 1 thing & another, I haven't wanted to upset her 'routine' too much. She is currently potty training but when she's got that, the bottle & then the dummy will be tackled. I know that's not the "ideal" & people might suggest I'm babying her (on here, not in RL) but mehh... I'm trying to ensure she has comfort from 1 thing for a little longer. If I thought it was causing her serious harm or detrimental to her health long-term, I would do something about like yesterday.

So OP, go with your gut. If you don't see it as a problem, don't change it.

dd stopped bottles around 15 months and ds was about 9 months. They still had milk but it was out of a lidded cup instead of the bottle.

Zoogeek Thu 21-Mar-13 21:32:40

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now