Oddest place you've bf (let's have a giggle)

(57 Posts)
SquidgersMummy Mon 18-Mar-13 10:35:23

I was thinking a lot of the posts are about the struggles of early bfing (oh yes, its hard at the start but thankfully for most it gets easy after a few weeks) and we could do with some smiles.

So here's mine: when dd was 6 weeks old my beloved house rabbit (aka surrogate baby before dd) was ill so poor vet had to cope with me feeding standing, feeding whilst helping with rabbits the examination. He looked a bit like this blush

Hugs to all having a tough time. Here's to tea, Nutella, Lanisoh and taking it one feed at a time. X

BadRoly Wed 20-Mar-13 14:10:19

When dc4 was teeny tiny I had to take dc2 to a Beaver archery thing. I was stood in a scout campsite feeding dc4 and chatting to other mums as I did just wearing a t-shirt (summer evening).

Another parent came over all excited at seeing dc4 (he really was very teeny tiny) and went to grab him. Getting an eyeful of mahoosive boob AND a shot of milk in her eye was not what she was expecting...

Fortunately, by the time I was on dc4, all shame was long gone and she was much more upset than I was!

MildDrPepperAddiction Wed 20-Mar-13 14:07:39

Snap Bunty! Had to feed dd while getting waxed too.

pnin - just checking you didn't accidentally try to latch the crocodile on... grin

pnin Wed 20-Mar-13 13:52:57

I've fed two to sleep in slings for naps and all transport for nearly five years so have done most hairdresser/dentist/train combos and have Los so much sensation there I've lost count of the time i ve forgotten to tuck myself back in of she's popped off.

Today I fed in a motorboat in a mangrove swamp in Sri Lanka holding a baby crocodile

Emsmaman Wed 20-Mar-13 11:10:26

oh and sitting on the fence of a property I was meant to view and the agent turned up more than half an hour late. The lovely tenant turned up home and invited me in to finish the feed and offered me tea! It's all coming back to me now.

MissRainbowBrite Tue 19-Mar-13 19:44:26

Lying on Looe beach in Cornwall in the sunshine, it was lovely until the tide started coming in very quickly. I hadn't noticed until it was about to soak us so had to scoop up 5 month old DD with one hand and our towels with the other leaving my boob flashing to the whole beach. DD was not impressed at having her feed interrupted!

Chesterado Tue 19-Mar-13 18:17:40

In the boardroom at work! (nb I am not on the board, just went in to show off the baby and it was the only quiet room available when dd got grizzly and needed a feed!)

Still amuses me now when I go in there for meetings though.

Whilst spewing from both ends during norovirus

On the monorail at Chester Zoo with many many school trips transfixed watching

At the top of Beeston Castle

Smicha Tue 19-Mar-13 18:04:14

I keep finding myself BFing while out for walks in the country and there's nothing nicer if the weather isn't too cold! So far the most unusual was sat in the snow at the top of a mountain in the Black Forest...DH couldn't resist taking a few photos!

OddBoots Tue 19-Mar-13 17:47:01

My first ever public breastfeeding was on the second row in church at my BIL's wedding when ds was 6 days old. They kindly put us near the front but I was at the far end so I was trapped.

Lonelybunny Tue 19-Mar-13 17:40:41

I've fed on an allotment before with chickens staring and clucking at me smile

Startail Tue 19-Mar-13 17:31:04

And sadly during a funeral for a lovely man who died of leukaemia far too young.

plantsitter Tue 19-Mar-13 17:29:09

When DD1 was only weeks old and I was having probs breastfeeding I went to my nephew's school assembly. I was sitting on one of those kid-sized chairs trying to keep DD quiet by feeding her. I will never forget the look of horror on those nearby 7 yr olds' faces as an arc of breastmilk shot over their heads. Don't think I actually hit anyone. In retrospect I can't believe I bothered going to a primary school assembly with a 3 week old. Devoted auntie me.

Startail Tue 19-Mar-13 17:28:44

Stand not stab.
There weren't even any shoe trying on seats.

Startail Tue 19-Mar-13 17:27:37

On a mannequin stab in M&S I thought it had a cafe, it didn't and DD wasn't going to resist screaming a second longer.

Maternityleaveisawesome Tue 19-Mar-13 17:24:08

In the car at a petrol station. Not that weird , except that it was facing a car wash with lots of people washing cars. I waved, they waved back. Much fun.

AmandaJay Tue 19-Mar-13 15:43:27

Not very odd - but on the Eurostar returning from Paris. Got very strange looks from French passengers and some very rude comments (in French!). In fact this was typical of our trip to Paris (our DD was 2 at the time). From what we experienced, Parisians do not "approve" of bf!

TheGirlOnTheLanding Tue 19-Mar-13 15:06:23

On a bench on the prom. In November. Was a bit chilly but preferable to having a screaming baby in the buggy all the way home.

TheYamiOfYawn Tue 19-Mar-13 14:59:29

I've done plenty of car/bus/shop queue feeding. My most unusual was probably for most of the final km of a 10k Race for Life. I was power-walking rather than running though. Most difficult was while vomiting, but I suspect that many of us have done that.

Lots of places - if she was hungry she got fed.

In the back of a car, leaning over whilst she was in her seat (rear facing is great for that!)

In a cathedral - I had my story of St. Bernard ready in case anyone asked me to stop. (He was cured of blindness by milk from the breast of the Holy Mother.)

Halfway around a guided tour of an NT property- the guide even offered me one of those seats you're not allowed to sit on.

Strolling around a supermarket - no one noticed.

But as a downside - in my more insecure days when I was new to breastfeeding, when DD was about 2.5 weeks I admit to scuttling off to a toilet because I wasn't confident enough to feed in public. So glad I got over that very quickly.

INeverSaidThat Tue 19-Mar-13 14:56:43

While hiking in the canadien rockies at -20. She was very comfy and warm underneath my big thick coat.

I also fed in a super posh and very formal restaurant. I leant forward, put my elbows on the table and a serene look on my face and noone knew what I was up to.

Emsmaman Tue 19-Mar-13 14:56:37

Oh I just remembered probably my strangest was in a job interview smile
it was informal with a former boss, at his house, she was still little and EBF so he understood I had to take her with me to his house. When she started to grizzle he offered me some privacy to feed her.

Emsmaman Tue 19-Mar-13 14:51:36

Hmmm I think I've blocked most of them out of my mind but digging deep I can remember:
*at a bus stop on Regent Street/Piccadilly Circus
*standing in the queue at the post office
*Ikea Croydon branch

orangebuccaneer Tue 19-Mar-13 14:46:40

Helping DD at the playground: she was desperate to climb everywhere and too little to be allowed to do so on her own, but DS was kicking off, so I held him to my boob with one hand and helped DD with the other hand...

I also have no shame smile

SquidgersMummy Mon 18-Mar-13 14:11:16

HolidayArmidillo you made me laugh. with your grand national feat!!

I have leant over car seat to feed a screaming dd...not easy with teeny boobs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now