Formula Feeders Faff Free Fred.

(172 Posts)
TheDetective Mon 25-Feb-13 23:22:56

Hello!

As another lovely poster started a thread to discuss formula feeding, and it was sadly hijacked. I am starting this thread for mums who are formula feeding/mixed feeding/expressing and giving via bottle. Hell, it's for anyone who feeds their baby.

It is not for a bun fight, and it is not to discuss the benefits of either method of feeding!

Just to share tips, information and support.

Chat away!

Miggs28 Sat 01-Jun-13 18:55:06

Hi everyone, my DS is now 10 days old and we have moved on to FF. We are beginning to think about taking our first few trips out in the next couple of days to make the most of DH's paternity leave.

I have a couple of questions that I was hoping some of you may know the answer to.

- We are currently using ready-mix formula, if we go out should i take empty sterilised bottles with us and cartons? If we take empty bottles does anyone know how long these would stay sterile for??

- We have ordered the tommee tippee perfect prep machine for when we switch to powdered formula - bit worried about this but i'm sure i'll get my head round it eventually!! Has anyone got one of these? Do you think it works well?

iheartshoes Fri 24-May-13 16:43:09

Thanks , binned it anyway as wasn't sure

Bumpincharge Fri 24-May-13 06:09:46

Iheartshoes,

Once formula has been offered to your LO it only has a 1 hour life, so you'll have to bin it if it hasn't been taken.

iheartshoes Thu 23-May-13 23:11:39

Question re the cartons, if I poor a whole carton into a bottle and DD took half am I allowed to put the bottle back in the fridge and then re heat it later for a night feed ? It says the ready made will keep in its carton in fridge for 24 hours so does the same apply if its been poured in a bottle?

NappyHappy Fri 17-May-13 16:09:59

I never knew that Wiggles about the pic, another excellent piece of info smile

I wonder how many people know about that?

wigglesrock Fri 17-May-13 14:51:04

zara glad DS is on the mend. I've used Evian in the past on holiday but also when we've been away, bottled water which is suitable for babies and making up formula has a little baby picture on the side (a bit like the ones used for baby changing facilities)

LexiLoganberryBump Fri 17-May-13 10:17:58

nappy oh dear about your microwave, I always used to use the jug method. I recognized you too smile

NappyHappy Thu 16-May-13 17:56:26

Wow Zara, I hope all is ok now? Thanks for the info. shock That must have been rough.

grin Lexi. My microwave started smoking out of the side yesterday so Ive chucked it out! Jug of hot water to warm ds3s bottles up! I thought I recognised you from another fred.

Does anyone have problems with formula not dissolving properly causing the teats to clog? Its Cow and Gate follow on and the first stage it happens to blush

Zara1984 Thu 16-May-13 14:51:10

Just popping in with a tip re travel. We're currently in Munich on holiday. Which has turned into a nightmare because DS has developed acute gastroenteritis, and we've been in hospital. No idea what caused it but I suspected local tap water.

Was boiling tap water for his bottles, and sterilising bottles with Milton tabs. Doctors at hospital assured me that Munich water supply is very safe, and I didn't even need to boil it. However DS kept vomiting up his bottles. I switched to using Evian (warmed slightly) straight from the bottle and he has kept all the bottles down, and is MUCH more cheerful.

Long story short: when in doubt, use Evian or Volvic to make up formula while travelling. Or use pre mades cartons.

LexiLoganberryBump Tue 14-May-13 11:25:24

Thank you BabyH and Nappy, that's good to hear, just as I'd of done with DD.

NappyHappy Mon 13-May-13 22:50:49

Hi, I make them up in one go, leave in the fridge and microwave when needed (shaken before giving to baby wink )

BabyHMummy Mon 13-May-13 22:48:44

lexi dunno what others do but having spoken to several el friends ob the matter they make them up in advance and just warm thru when needed. I believe as long ad you don't put them in the door of the fridge this is ok. It's certainly what I intend to do

LexiLoganberryBump Mon 13-May-13 22:15:25

I haven't read through the whole thread so am sorry if this has already been asked and answered.

What do you do about making up night feeds?

When I had my DD 8 years ago it was common practice to make all of the bottles up in one go, I know this isn't the current guidelines. It doesn't seem practical to go down stairs at 2am boil the kettle wait 30 minutes for it to cool before returning to what I imagine would be a very upset baby.

NappyHappy Mon 13-May-13 18:10:20

Sorry, I can't see properly today through lack of sleep! confused

I do that now ds3 is older. I think its to make sure that all germs are killed when they're younger. When the boys have started weaning and I've needed a bottle quick I've done it that way.#

ThedementedPenguin Mon 13-May-13 17:21:52

I know that Nappy I meant what's the difference between me using cooled boiled water topped up with boiling water or using tap water topped with with boiling water?

I know the reason why it has to be over. 70 degrees. Just not why we couldn't use tap water topped up with boiling water for a bottle

NappyHappy Mon 13-May-13 16:04:55

Hey demented, it needs to be from the kettle at a temp of 70 deg so it kills any bugs that may be present in the formula powder as it is not sterile and over the last several decades have been I think about 25 ish cases of Gastroenteritis caused by the formula being made incorrectly.

I stopped sterilising Hus bottles 2 days ago but still use boiled water to make them up.

Good afternoon all!!

BabyHMummy Mon 13-May-13 11:17:56

Hope its ok if I join in...I am 26+1 pg and fully intending to ff due to medical probs. Thought I would say hi and ask for any tips xxx

batteryhen Mon 13-May-13 09:30:35

Hello smile my DS is 9 months and FF fed. When we go out I take a bottle of cooled boiled water, but only about 4oz, so when I need to feed DS I top it up to 7oz from a flask of boiling water that I also take. I have a really slim line flask that fits into my changing bag easily.
I used to ask for a cup or jug of hot water to warm up the bottle but at least with the flask I can feed him wherever I am and don't have to go into a cafe smile (even though that would give me an excuse to eat cake)

Trishstar Mon 13-May-13 04:21:08

Iheartshoes

When out I use the tommee tippee travel bottle warmer, only because some places will give boiling water and some won't!

The water stays hot for ages!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002L3TEN8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1368415230&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

And hello everyone! Xxx

ThedementedPenguin Sun 12-May-13 22:38:29

Hello, I have a 8 month old ds who has been exclusively ff. I have a question, which my dp asked me and I couldn't give him an answer.

So we clean bottles, put in roughly 2-3oz of boiled water in put in fridge, when we need a bottle boil kettle, top up bottle, add formula, cool down and serve.

So my Dp asked me could we just put cold water from taps into bottle, put in fridge, top up with boiled water, etc. I said no! But can anyone tell me why we shouldn't do it?

I googled but it just gave my reasons for a newborn and I wasn't sure as I don't have a newborn any more.

iheartshoes Sat 11-May-13 23:24:14

Thanks shiny that is a truly brilliant tip

NappyHappy Sat 11-May-13 22:11:45

I am the crazy woman you see out wink

Those cartons are bloody brilliant!

OooohShiny Fri 10-May-13 21:16:39

hahaha Nappy

I started early on reducing the time I warmed my bottles for so that DS got used to having them quite cool

NappyHappy Fri 10-May-13 20:58:55

Oooh, I used to do that too. Thank chuff its not just me!!!! Ive been luck that the boys drink it room temp.

OooohShiny Fri 10-May-13 13:14:04

You've probably gone out now... but I used to ask wherever I was if I could have a mug/jug with some hot water in it (would ask as soon as I went in), most places are very obliging and if they didn't want to give me a jug I would take the bottle out half an hour before DS was due to feed and either warm it between my legs or stick it down my cleavage to take the chill off it...please don't laugh blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now