How to stay awake during night feeds part 7 - put in your orders for sleepy dust!

(1000 Posts)

Can't believe we are on part 7! and I'm still here

Welcome one and all smile

MrsNPattz Mon 11-Feb-13 07:08:59

Well little man, all is forgiven - I've just had 9 hours uninterrupted sleep! Just what the Dr ordered but sorry about the bad nights sad

jemima86 Mon 11-Feb-13 07:40:32

Sorry to hear about bad nights, we had the worst for a while and she'd been doing so well.
I feel for those with transfer issues, we had the same problem last night. Little girl is suffering with wind and possibly a bit of reflux, she would sleep happily upright on me but wide awake as soon as she hit the basket. Managed to get to bed about 3am, daddy was up with her not long after for another feed.
We're up again after a lot of stirring and whining, to fall back to sleep as soon as we get to the front room - luckily still in basket, so sofa sleep for me!

Hope those who had bad nights have a better day!

Ameybee Mon 11-Feb-13 08:00:01

Sorry for all the terrible nights sad

DH took over from me at midnight so I slept in with DD, heard him screaming for bottle about 4am I think but they are not up yet (typical as DD decided on a virtually unheard of early start!)!

Hope baby small went back off!

I feel tired today & got both of them & loads of snow so we won't be going anywhere confused! X

Pinkponiesrock Mon 11-Feb-13 08:00:13

Up for day now, managed to get an hours sleep from 6 til 7 I think, so tired! DS1 and I are staying with DM as its half term, DH and DS2 are at home on the farm looking after all the animals. This is one of days I would be so glad my DH works at home so he could watch baby pink for a while but as he is 100's of miles away I best start on the coffee!

TheDarkSideOfTheSpoon Mon 11-Feb-13 08:01:14

Oh susie you sound like you've had an especially tough one, fingers crossed for an improvement tonight.

Lol @ baby larle liking QI grin DD1 used to love the snooker, much to DH's delight!

Welcome pink smile How old is ds1?

brain what about offering a drink of water to baby brain at night when you're thinking its not hunger? Dd1 started sleeping through once we did that, couldn't bear to think of her being up and thirsty but most of the time she grumbled about it and went back to sleep after the initial outrage demanding comfort feeds instead Hope you find a method that works for you smile

funch agree cc may not be for everyone but if its working for you then that's all that matters. I've noticed similar with babylump that she will settle usually much better without me distracting her.

mrsn hooray for 9 hours sleep! grin

Getting up now, had a horrible night last night but nothing to do with babylump. My DSis got taken to hospital, such a long story so won't bore you all with it, started a thread in mental health hoping for some advice as we're just at the end of our tether with her now sad

Anyway sorry to bring the tone down, hope you all have restful days smile

Pinkponiesrock Mon 11-Feb-13 08:27:19

Thanks smile DS1 is 6 and DS2 is 2.5, cheeky boys with very high entertainment value! They keep us amused, and very busy!

funchum8am Mon 11-Feb-13 08:45:46

heff so sorry to hear about your sister, I hope she gets the help she needs.

susie chili brain and all other bad night sufferers, I was with you in spirit last night! Babyfunch's cold seemed to be cleared up save minor cough so we carried on cc. All good til 3 when she decided she was up for the day, our fault for letting her sleep too much in the afternoon sad Massive screamathon so abandoned cc and DH got up with her eventually. I now see what cc must be like with a more determined baby! and why people don't do it.....need to get her naps right today so she isn't wide awake so early else we will collapse from lack of sleep.

she is now refusing to nap despite being up since 3 shock

Welcome pink, being on a farm must be wonderful for your dc! Sorry to hear of DD stopping sleeping but at least you get to meet us wink

Ameybee Mon 11-Feb-13 08:55:39

Sorry to hear about sister heff, you know we are all here if you need support.

Welcome pink!

Mrsn - envy of 9 hours! Please can little man have a word with babybee?? X

MrsNPattz Mon 11-Feb-13 09:13:30

Oh Heff huge hugs being sent from me to you! I hope things get better soon for all of you - you sound like a wonderful sister and you just need to keep being that.

We went swimming yesterday, but only for about 10 minutes cause it was so cold, so I'm not sure if it was that or if he was just so knackered after Saturday night. All I know is I was asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow at half 9 and the next thing I heard hubby go downstairs and it was ten to 7!!

I'm having a cleaning day today - yuk. Then counselling later.

Susieloo Mon 11-Feb-13 09:45:50

Thinking of you heff flowers

Oh Heff I read your thread, but didn't realise it was you, so sorry to hear about your sister. You are a loving big sister, but you have your own children to think about, as difficult as it is to stand by and watch, your sister has to want to help herself. Take care of yourselves and your parents x

Welcome pink thanks, sorry that you find yourself here, can your mum occupy ds1 for an hour so you can nap when dd naps?

MrsN 9 hours! You must feel like a new woman. Swimming seems to be a good strategy.

Sorry to hear of bad nights. Stitch woke 4 times, but just fed and went back to sleep so not so bad here.

Pinkponiesrock Mon 11-Feb-13 16:24:23

Afraid DM is at work, so no chance of napping, esp as DD doesn't do napping during the day for longer than 20 mins less in the car or buggy, neither of which are good for napping. It's not too bad as DM still lives in my 'home' town, so been catching up with lots of old friends today which has been lovely smile

Is heff an alter ego for darkside ?! If so I hope your sister is feeling in a better place, mentally, today. Must be so hard for you and your family.

MrsN maybe I should try swimming with baby pink as 9 hrs sounds fab, not sure if she is old enough tho.

funch I hope the CC works soon for you, thankfully DS1 & 2 were brilliant sleepers, not sure what went wrong with DD! Needs must tho and it will be worth a few tough nights in the long run smile

larle it's funny what the LO's like to watch/listen to, my DS1 liked the darts, I think it was the voice! One hundred and eighty!!

Hi to everyone else, phone is running out and needs a charge, bit like myself!!

MrsNPattz Mon 11-Feb-13 19:12:25

Pink yes Darkside used to be Heff and it stuck lol

I wonder what tonight will bring!

MrsNPattz Mon 11-Feb-13 20:40:01

Really early bed time for little man tonight - he's been in bed since 7:45. I bet that means he will be up at midnight blush

TMI coming up - what's s.e.x like for everyone since giving birth? Foreplay for me is good but the main event is quite uncomfortable, rather than enjoyable sad is this normal??

ChilliBanana Mon 11-Feb-13 20:45:15

heff such an awful situation for you thanks I have no advice to give, but if you need to vent on here you know we will gladly listen and provide brew and snacks to fortify you.

Hi pink, welcome, hope you have a better night tonight.

Some awful nights were had last night I see, you have my sympathies. Baby chilli only woke at 12.30 and 4 before up for the day at 7 - I felt like I'd had a full nights sleep, thank goodness, as I had to go into work today and was dreading being zombie woman.

mrsn yay for 9 hours! Boo for cleaning though...

funch is it you that's been leaving you baby with the childminder while you're at work? Can I ask if you leave ebm with her and if so, how much? I left baby chilli with his grandparents today at 10am, left about 15 oz ebm with them and he'd guzzled it all by 1.30! shock Was hoping I'd be able to express enough to keep him off formula while at the childminders but he'll be there for 9/10 hours and I now think I may have been a bit ambitious. Anyone else with any experience please let me know what worked for you. I've read about reverse cycling but as he's often up every 2hours during the night these days I can't bear to think it's going to be more often kill me now

Here's hoping mrsns DS has passed on his sleeping tips to the rest of the babies ( who am I kidding, see you in the early hours)

TheDarkSideOfTheSpoon Mon 11-Feb-13 21:20:37

Thank you so much for your support everyone thanks it means a lot to be able to talk to you all. She's back home now but avoiding us all, don't know where it will all end sad

Internet playing up tonight so will sign off before it goes down again, just wanted to pop on to say thank you and wish everyone good, sleep filled nights xx

<hugs> Heff, hope you get some sleep x

Stitch is still feeding to sleep here so I am hoping that this means she will go a while before her next wake.

Brain in answer to your question I honestly don't know how I survived with dd1. I went back to work when she was 7 months old and she reverse cycled. I know I used to have lie ins and naps at the weekends plus co sleeping. With Stitch it is easier as I am not at work so I can be a zombie if I am exhausted.

MrsN, I had two EMCS's for two very stuck babies. I had a lot of internal bruising due to their heads bashing on my pelvis, plus attempted ventouse and forceps. It was 5 months after dd1 before it stopped being uncomfortable and about 3 months after Stitch. Starting out was always worse and longer intervals between sex made it less comfortable too. Give yourself time and use lube if necessary. The psychological barrier of knowing it will be slightly uncomfortable doesn't help either so lots of foreplay essential.

larlemucker Mon 11-Feb-13 22:05:56

Evening all. Heff so sorry to hear about your sister, can't offer any advice apart from hugs and more marble cake (this time with white chocolate topping)
Dreading sex here! Dh very keen and keeps telling me he finds me more attractive since having ds, bless he is a very good lier as I have awful stretch marks!! I had an epi and tear with lots of stitches, it's healed well but terrified something horrid will happen first time hmm
Baby larle is fast asleep although he should be having his bottle. He has been such a good boy today, meeting my friends at a farm shop for lunch and we successfully breast fed on public!! And I've just managed to express 1.5oz, very proud!! Hoping to get ds off formula top up.
9 hours sleep sounds like bliss, don't remember having that much sleep, it's been so long!!

Here's hoping you all have good nights, I'll probably be back here about 3am!!!

funchum8am Mon 11-Feb-13 22:18:44

chili yes babyfunch has had 3 half days and one longer day (8-4) at cm. I assume 5oz per feed as that is the max she has ever taken, and one feed about every 3 hours, so for the full day I sent 15oz and fed her just before drop off. I also sent a couple of cartons of formula just in case and the cm once gave her some water as she got hungry very shortly before drop off...I was glad she did that rather than give formula as babyfunch had never had it before.

She now has the odd bottle of formula anyway so the pressure of expressing is off me which is a relief, but I will express at work and DH will give her that next day. DH will be feeding her at night (ebm as often as possible) as he will be sahd and also to avoid reverse cycling. I will feed whenever I can, hopefully 7am, 5pm and bedtime, but we will see. my supply may dwindle sad

heff I saw your thread re dsis, my thoughts are with your family. you are doing a wonderful job of being a big sister {hugs}

mrsn we have dtd once and it was fine despite epi, stitches and whale like stretchmarky body. However sexfunch has been keeping a low profile recently...just too tired!!

Susieloo Mon 11-Feb-13 22:42:45

Up for first feed-think I'm in for a repeat of last night and dreading it-can't bear the thought of this being the way things are now, really thought we had turned a corner-just had to stop mid post because the lid wasn't on the bottle properly so milk went all over babyloo and had to do full change, going to stay with my friend on Saturday night and can't wait, dreading tomorrow too because of the tiredness.

Sorry for me me me and not name checking, will read thread properly at next feed-in about two hours sad

MissingMyMarbles Mon 11-Feb-13 22:44:05

We've been at DBro's with limited reception so I've just read NINE pages grin
Sure I'll be posting later if this last week has been anything to go by. Hoping it will be better now we're home.

Hi to newbies.

thanks Heff

Jealous of long sleeps envygrin

Larle whereabouts on the 66 are you? Is it you with family in Durham? Sorry, memory horrendous at the minute.

Forgive lack of name-checking, 9 pages!!! grin

I am in the ride it out camp too. IIRC, DD1 was about 8 months. Not sure how we survived as I went back to work when she was about 7 months. Missmarbles is that now (today, in fact). I go back to work when she will be just less than 9 months but I am panicking this time and am trying to encourage the No Cry Sleep Solution. My concern is, I do a lot of what she suggests already, so an trying harder with the gentle removal thing. At a bit of loss though, as we have only had epic transfer fails this week. Up to now it's been feed and down, albeit too often. Hoping its a teething blip.

Pinkponiesrock Mon 11-Feb-13 22:44:21

Well I'm just home from visiting my MW friend who gave baby Pink the ok for calpol so she is dosed up and feeding to sleep just now. Hoping for a good night but can't see it happening. Can't think of a way to raise up a travel cot at one end to help with the snuffles either?!

larle were you doing mixed feeding? We were are too. Are you gradually reducing the amounts or going for the cold turkey approach? Or possibly neither. Looking for tips as my DD only has one FF and I can't decide whether to try and ditch it or not.

I remember being terrified of sex after DS1. I had a major epi, forceps, all sorts of coming out that shouldn't, stitches, you name it it happened!! Wasn't that bad though when we actually did the dance with no pants. However 3 little ones is a pretty effective contraception at the moment.

larlemucker Mon 11-Feb-13 23:10:07

Hi marbles, no family in Durham. We live on the lakes but went to uni in Sunderland so have some friends over there. We met at mainsgill farm on a66, lovely spot and they have a massive camel!!!
Pink, yes ds gets a 4oz bottle on a evening. Want to try and do ebf, breast feeding councillor advised reducing gradually to give supply chance to catch up. I'm hoping to express enough so dh can give him a bottle still as that's my shower time!!

larlemucker Mon 11-Feb-13 23:24:59

In the lakes, I am not a mermaid and I do not live on an island!!

Pink if the travel cot has small legs you could put books under the feet to raise the cot.

This thread is not accepting new messages.