How to stay awake during night feeds part 6 - all welcome to join us!

(1000 Posts)
funchum8am Thu 03-Jan-13 14:05:36

Hi everyone, cannot believe we have exchanged over 5000 messages!

mrsn when we shared our locations on here a while back, heff, goat and I all turned out to live near Uxbridge so we met up having met on here. It is lovely, if you are ever down south let us know!

macaroons sounds like we are in the same boat hmm I officially return to work on 15 Feb but that is actually the Friday before half term so only have that day and then another week off before full time return hits. I am lucky that DH is being a SAHD til 1st July so no drop offs, pick ups or worries about the childminder ringing me because babyfunch is ill etc, and she is in great hands with him, much as I have been critical of him til we talked it over recently. However I am worried about being at work on no sleep - I will get in a lot of trouble if I lose my rag with a pupil or indeed a member of my team (one of whom is a pain). I will have to perfect the art of letting some things go (eg uniform issues in the corridor as opposed to in my lessons - I spend a lot of time arguing with pupils about these and intend to stop save for the very worst!) and dealing with others by just reporting bad behaviour to heads of year rather than dealing with it myself. I am head of faculty so will focus just on what happens in lessons in my faculty rather than working quite so hard on having the best corridor behaviour in the school in my area - it is great having that but takes a lot of time, energy and conflict so it will just have to go n the back burner until I am getting proper sleep again. At this rate dd will be in year 7 by then herself and can help me!

MissingMyBaubles Fri 04-Jan-13 09:28:53

Another rubbish night in the Marbles household. Up 1 1/2 - 2 hourly right the way through sad Too tired to post overnight. Now in a rush to get car to garage and visit nursery (sad) Will catch up with everyone later.

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Fri 04-Jan-13 09:55:20

We had an ok night but I fell asleep again holding baby J sad don't think this is very safe but I don't want to stop feeding in bed as its so comfy and easier to transfer. Might have to rethink tho. Sorry to those with awful nigjts.

GirlOutNumbered Fri 04-Jan-13 10:11:52

I only managed one post on my first night with you all. I was oo sleepy to look at the screen. We had a better night though, maybe it's because DS2 knew I had a date!?

Tooodlepip Fri 04-Jan-13 10:47:58

Hi everyone

tea that was a lovely link, I read through some of the other posts on the blog as well. I think the thing that really surprised me was that the writer had other children as well as her baby daughter shock as I have been finding it a bit difficult to manage 3 at the same time. For example at bedtime when baby pip wants to be held and cry to sleep continuing my other two's bedtime routine isn't easy.

we had a much better night last night I had some time to myself and baby pip stayed in bed after 9 so we didn't have him up until 1 am, he then had his two normal feeds at 3 and 6:30. He is upstairs cooing at his brothers no in much better form smile now if he naps well today that would be great smile

heff hope the potty training going well do you have wooden floors?? that always made it bearable for me wink its still not fun when accidents happen though

welcome mickey smile

I'm sorry goat but you did make me smile grin I do feel for you though, baby pip is starting to try and roll to his side so I'm sure he will figure it out soon, and then the next stage of waking up to play all night long will start hmm

ok baby pip just yawned does that mean nap time smile

funchum8am Fri 04-Jan-13 11:01:39

Emergency situation here - DH is feeling really ill with a mystery stomach/gut problem so can't take over baby duty. So I have been up since 2, managed to get babyfunch to our GP appointment to gt more Gaviscon, but now have to cope on my own for an unspecified time confused This is where I really take my hat off to those of you like toodle with 2 or more DC and partners who work away! Am sure I am going to fall asleep and not hear DD crying at some point soon unless DH recovers hmm. She looks like dropping off for a nap though so will try to nap when she does.

MrsNPattz Fri 04-Jan-13 11:25:56

Morning, we got up about 9 after it took little monkey over an hour to go down again in the night.

Have a good day all

Ameybee Fri 04-Jan-13 11:59:51

Lovely link tea good that we all feel similar!

We were up at 1 for bottle, then bf at 5. After the bottle I couldn't sleep - I read a link in Facebook (the ones that come up if one of your friends comment) about that poor girl raped and killed in delhi, it was a bit graphic & I couldn't sleep after sad. Made me think about what a horrid world we live in & how much my 2 babies mean to me & how I will worry about them so much!

We were supposed to be at DB's for weekend in welwyn but they are all poorly so we are going to my parents tonight instead.

small I got this tommee tippie travel bottle warmer off Amazon - is really good is a flask and pot to warm/cool bottle in, my SIL recommended it when out & about. Hope your boobs didn't explode blush when I was cutting down over Xmas I just expressed off enough to be comfortable & eventually didn't get that engorged feeling.

Xx

DontYouJingleMyChristingle Fri 04-Jan-13 14:55:52

Hello everyone.

well littlejingle was awake till 5 then bigger jingle woke up, managed to convince her to go back to sleep from 6-8, then they all woke up.

So I decided to preserve my sanity (biggest jingle and my niece are close in age and very competitive/poor at sharing) and take then to playgroup this morning.

Luckily my older niece is taking her younger sister home later and DH is out tonight so I can go to bed when the kids do and catch up.

fumchum as I am new I don't know how old baby funch is. Is she able to sit up and play in her cot for a while whilst you snooze? When I was desperate for sleep with my first (who reversed cycled and fed every hour when I went back to work) I used to put on in the night Garden on the laptop and leave her to it for half an hour just to get a little extra zzz.

GirlOutNumbered Fri 04-Jan-13 16:28:21

Ah jingle, I love it when DH goes out, so I can go to bed the same time as the children! He thinks i'll miss him!

funchum8am Fri 04-Jan-13 17:11:41

Babyfunch is only 13 weeks unfortunately so can't do much on her own at the moment - I think sleep is the only thing she can do on her own for more than about 15 minutes (she is happy to kick about on her playmat or sit in her bouncy chair for that long). I cannot wait til the tv can babysit her though I promise to use it only when in dire need!

I managed a nap from 1:00 to 3:30 in the end as she slept then and that has been enough to make me feel loads better. I had to resort to washing up and changing the bed before that just to stay awake! DH now feeling a bit better too so I am no longer on my own, and so of course she has gone back to sleep grin

Just went to the chemist and noticed the duty pharmacist's name was the same name as my boss' husband's. I asked if he was any relation to her and yes it was her hubby! We had a nice chat. He seemed to have heard a fair bit about me and generally good (eg my boss is looking forward to me coming back!) so that was nice. He also let me know that if you have a cold and are bfing you CAN take things like day or night nurse, there is no evidence that they are actively harmful, but there IS a risk some tiny amount of the active ingredient may pass to baby. Day Nurse contains stimulants so I avoided that and have got some Night Nurse as it might even make her drowsy (though he said it was not likely!). I think to get a decent night's sleep through this cold I have, I need drugs, and frankly am willing to risk a bit of a drowsy baby! <bad mummy emoticon>

Hope everyone else has had much better days!

StuntNun Fri 04-Jan-13 17:31:58

Sorry I haven't been on much. I think hope J is having a growth spurt as we've had three or four (can't remember) bad nights with some hourly wakings and I have been too exhausted to MN, nearly went on strike myself last night! I have made a big pot of beef curry for dinner tonight so who knows how that will affect J but it has a LOT of spices in so he may not be pleased with me tomorrow! grin

Susieloo Fri 04-Jan-13 18:08:09

Evening all and hello to new posters, will catch up on the thread during first feed, we are on last feed before bed and I've skipped his bath tonight because we were at Mil's until half five and he fell asleep in his pram on the way home for a few minutes and I thought a bath would wake him up too much. Too bleary eyed to post last night but not a bad night at all really, he woke at 10.30 and then 2 and stirred at half five but put himself back to sleep and I woke him up at 7.15. Dp and I having a couple of glasses of wine and working or way through the box set he bought me for Xmas and I'm aiming for bed at half nine at the latest.

Sorry not to name check especially new posters and hello to anyone lurking who is too tired to postsmile

MrsNPattz Fri 04-Jan-13 18:20:28

Blurgh, what a day. Crying and arguing with hubby is the gist of it. I'm so scared about what is happening to our marriage. I feel unsupported by him, when he thinks he is being supportive. He's not being like that in a nasty way, but for example telling someone to stop stressing when they are already stressing is not particularly helpful - I just needed a hug and for him to say everything will be ok. Feel like I can't cope and that I'm a failure. Feel so sad. The thought of going home tomorrow makes me feel sick. Half of me just wants to say I'm going to stay here - but that's not going to fix anything. I don't want to go back to his family, I want mine. I am trying to focus on little man and be strong for him but it's hard, my heart hurts when I think about how much I love him. I just don't know what to do. Sorry for bringing the thread down, I just feel I can talk to you guys.

Smallgreenone Fri 04-Jan-13 18:32:05

Oh mrsn I'm sorry you're so down and I don't have any useful advice really so am sending a virtual hug. It must be so hard to be so far away from family and feel so unsupported I'm guessing the answer is talk talk talk with your dh and eventually it'll sort out?
I'm hoping for a repeat of last nights sleep I can totally do 1til 7 sleep obviously would like more but as a start its way better than 2 hours! He's just had his bottle and is snoozing happily now so will attempt transfer shortly.

Susieloo Fri 04-Jan-13 18:37:39

Transfer fail

Mrsn I'm sorry things are so rough for you, it sounds like a classic case of men and women thinking entirely differently about the same thing and its so hard to get through to them sometimes. I agree with small I think all you can do is keep trying to talk it through. You've said how close you are to your family and how there are some issues with his which must make things so difficult for you.

Keep posting xx

Ameybee Fri 04-Jan-13 20:10:21

mrsn so glad you feel like you can talk to us! Me and DH went through this a bit (without the family bit) I think men are 'fixers' and they just want a solution when sometimes all we need is a big hug and them to say 'its bloody hard work and you're doing amazing!'! My DH went through a phase of thinking just giving up bf would solve everything (in the early days) & it made me feel very distant from him, but when I told him that he said he felt opposite & very close to me & like he was being supportive. Sometimes I think hormones, sleep deprivation can make things feel worse. Virtual hug!

I think DS might have started teething confused chomping everything in sight and been a grumpy chops at my mums! About to attempt transfer but am not feeling lucky in slightest!

Waves to thread newbies grin see you later! X

MrsNPattz Fri 04-Jan-13 20:35:30

Thanks guys, means a lot. Had a really good chat with my mum after I posted which helped.

Little man is absolutely shattered tonight and is already sound asleep in his cot. I'm going to have a little read then get some shut eye myself. Probably see you in the night when I will try and be a bit more cheery!

funchum8am Fri 04-Jan-13 21:35:40

Mrsn please don't ever feel bad about telling it like it is (no, I am not American, maybe just had a bit too much TV recently!) on here. I would hate to think anyone was struggling on without a place to get a sympathetic set of ears and voices to support them through tough times. I am guessing you have tried telling DH that is how you feel? It got better for us recently when we had a big talk but then also when we were in a bad moment I told him right then what I needed, even if it was through gritted teeth. Sometimes at first he reacted badly eg 'what good is a hug going to do, it won't stop dd crying?' But when I told him repeatedly in similar situations that a hug was what I needed right then, he eventually tried it and guess what, I felt more able to cope, pulled myself together and he saw the difference it made. It was hard getting through the times when he reacted badly but it has been worth it for longer term gains. But I am a bit of a hard faced cow when it comes to behaviour training DH - he doesn't get to make many mistakes with regard to having a baby as it was all his idea!! But I hope that helps. You are definitely not alone in parenthood affecting your marriage, it would be a strange couple who didn't find it a strain. Get it all out on here, that is what we are here for smile

HeffalumpsAndWoozles Fri 04-Jan-13 22:50:47

Massive virtual hugs mrsn. We're all here to listen and help as much as you need xx

funch how is your DH now? Your night sounded horrendous again hope you're in for a better one tonight!

Still not sure we're progressing much with the potty training, unfortunately the living room is carpeted but luckily most of the accidents so far have been in the tiled kitchen. She's managed two on the potty today but the rest in various spots around the house sad

This afternoon has been good and then very quickly turned horrible. We had a lovely lunchtime coffee with goat and the very handsome and talkative Kid smile until I woke DD1 from her nap at about half 4 and she was a bit tired and whingey but I thought she'd wake up eventually so asked my sister to entertain babylump for a bit while I had a cuddle with her, ten minutes later she threw up in spectacular fashion all over me, the chair, the carpet and anything else within arms reach sad My poor little sausage was so ill for the rest of the night until about an hour ago when she finally got off to sleep sad Babylump has been such a good girl seeing as how I've had to dump her on the floor or with my sister pretty much all afternoon. Both girls asleep now and I'm hitting the wine Luckily no one else seems unwell so it must have been something she ate...hopefully not my cooking though confused

Good luck tonight everyone, each night down is one nearer to that mythical full night's sleep!

Goatbongohohoandjinglejingle Fri 04-Jan-13 23:46:37

mrsn so sorry it is hard about the families and distance - I really do sympathise, as mine is 12000 miles away and to some degree we are reliant on DH's parents if we need any break, which I find very hard. I have had an up and down relationship with my mum but she has been absolutely lovely about her one and only grandchild and sometimes I just want her close by! Hugs to you and hope things improve for you. Talking about it is always better. Here is good!

heff I hope your DD1 feels better! She is lovely and seems super on the ball, and her concern for Kid's poor head where he has scratched himself to smithereens was touching. smile hope you enjoyed your wine too!

Having woken so early last night, the cheeriness from Kid eventually descended into hysterically tired meltdown, which lasted two hours. I took him in to DH who had him a while so I could sleep a bit. But Kid is really behind on his sleep, cue another meltdown of epic proportions tonight, before he zonked out completely. Have just changed nappy and fed and is back sparko so fingers crossed he catches up a bit on sleep and doesn't try an early start again! This rolling lark is obviously knackering!

Ameybee Sat 05-Jan-13 00:59:44

Oh no heff hope DD1 is ok! Sickness is horrid!! Maybe if potty training is tough leave it a week & try again?

Repeated transfer fails after 7oz of milk here angry he's doing 'tricking asleep' not out cold just snoozing on mummy, it feels a long way down putting him in travel cot! I'm going to be tired Tomo, be nice to think he might sleep through, ha ha I'm hilarious!

Sleepy dust to all! X

MrsNPattz Sat 05-Jan-13 01:31:08

First feed here, after I have only had 2 hours sleep blush but that's my own fault as I was reading and then couldn't get to sleep.

Thank you goat and funch. I have told him how I feel but it always ends up in an argument. I have a good man, I just wasn't prepared for how much such a little person was going to effect our marriage! I'm so glad I have here to come and let off steam!

heff oh no, poor DD1! I hope she is better in the morning. I bet it was lovely meeting up with goat and the famous Kid smile

Hopefully this will be a successful transfer - we have a long journey tomorrow!

funchum8am Sat 05-Jan-13 01:33:23

DH is ok again now thanks heff. Some sort of tummy thing. I hope DD1 is better, poor love sad

Second feed here, or third if you count the transfer fail we just had. Babyfunch is also tricking asleep as you put it amey - fine asleep on me but transfer looks ok but give it 5 mins and she is wailing again sad

Susieloo Sat 05-Jan-13 02:51:05

2nd feed of the night and hoping for a repeat of last nights easy transfer and through till 7.

Hope your lo feels better after a nights sleep.

Have a good journey home mrsn.

He is looking pretty awake to me at the moment........

StuntNun Sat 05-Jan-13 03:08:24

Second feed of the night here after a huge crying session. DH keeps putting the dummy in at night so by the time J gets fed he's absolutely starving and screaming at me. I really hate this attitude of 'he can't be hungry yet he was only fed x hours ago'. Hopefully this feed will last him a couple of hours instead of the recent hourly feeds of this time of morning.

Sorry to hear you're feeling down MrsN and I hope DD1 is feeling better Heff. FC for transfer successes for Amey and Susie.

This thread is not accepting new messages.