Share your best super-quick make-up tips with the Boots Feel Good Forum - £250 cash to be won

(176 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 17-May-13 15:11:39

Now that the Boots Feel Good Forum series is over, we've packaged up what we think are the best bits - so you can listen to them in easy, short, bite size chunks.

The first of these is about make-up tips. It's only 3 mins long so please do have a listen to make-up artist Daniel Sandler's recommendations on tinted moisturise, curling mascara and other super-quick make-up secrets.

~ Do you have any advice of your own to share on how to look good in a rush?
~ What do you make of Daniel's tips?

Everyone who listens and adds their own tips or feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win £250 cash.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

ScrambledEggAndToast Sun 08-Jun-14 10:35:40

I have my eyelashes tinted anyway so that means I don't have to bother with mascara. For work I just use tinted moisturiser rather than moisturiser and foundation. I then just quickly use some under eye concealer and blusher and I'm good to go. It's more practice than anything.

MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 06-Aug-13 14:32:18

Congratulations Princessdivaaa, you've won the prize draw! We'll be in touch shortly grin

littlecabbage83 Tue 09-Jul-13 19:48:00

I'd recommend investing in a good quality pink cream blusher that can double up as both a lip tint and an eyeshadow. smile

I've been inspired by a recent thread and have gone from using a full face of make up to just using my sunscreen as a primer, concealer under eyes, mascara, bronzer and bright lippy. oooh and my eyelash curlers have been resurrectedgrin

Ok, here's something I just discovered this week. I've got two DC, neither of whom sleeps through the night, so I'm bloody knackered somewhat tired and have the dark circles as proof. I realised that if I darken my eyebrows a bit with eyeshadow, it makes my eyes look bolder and less tired. I also use eyeliner on my top lids, which also opens up my eyes. Genius!

missusmurphy Thu 27-Jun-13 10:42:53

my concealer and eye liner are my bestfriends during those hectic mornings and you just can't be bothered... a bit of concealer on dark circles and light liners makes me look fresh and alert... Makes me feel like myself a bit :-)

peronel Tue 25-Jun-13 16:49:37

Slap on primer, brush teeth, brush on bare minerals base then bare minerals veil (sorry it's advertising but I love it!) Slick on lip gloss, good to go!

The best, super quick make up tip I have is to find a nice, subtly tinted lip gloss and apply that whenever you need to boost your appearance.

bugabee Thu 20-Jun-13 11:25:46

My top tips are tinting your lashes and brows! makes a big difference. Also I keep a BB cream in the bathroom so in the morning when I wash my face its there to put on instead of a moisturiser.
I also say a bar of lipstick is a good old fashioned multitasker for both lips and cheeks. A cream blush can be drying on the lips so a lipstick is much better! xXx

sc00ter Mon 17-Jun-13 13:36:46

The best way to put on your mascara is to look down directly into your mirror - as this makes it impossible to get mascara into your eye.

Also if you find your mascara is to runny just leave off the lid overnight and this will dry it out a bit.
(just don't leave near little hands).

FairPhyllis Thu 13-Jun-13 19:15:14

Tinted moisturiser doesn't work for those of us who are deathly pale by nature.

One of the quickest, most effective things you can do is use a little concealer or Touche on the eyelid - makes your eyes look brighter by evening out the skin tone.

christineabdy Mon 10-Jun-13 06:53:57

I didn't do all this even before I had children! Just take it easy, ladies, as long as your eyes look awake and your skin has SPF and some powder on it.

majjsu Sun 09-Jun-13 19:42:49

I would skip breakfast to put a bit of make up on - powder, blush and mascara.

Firewall Wed 05-Jun-13 18:43:45

Great tips from Daniel!

I build my face cleansing routine into my shower routine, in the morning I do a quick face clean. Use a good moisturiser and eye liner! Done!
Vaseline for lips when they get dry during the winter.

Since my late 30s I've felt more comfortable with a bit of Laura Mercier TM and concealer, a bit of blusher and a bit of tubing mascara (can't stand normal smudgy mascara) takes a few mins but makes the world of difference.

Have to mention I was too poor/tight to replace the Mercier TM this week and went to Boots for a budget replacement. The lady on the No7 counter zapped me with their new machine and listened to what I wanted (a good coverage tinted moisturiser) and said my colour was warm beige (usually Nude for LM) and sugg their Essentialy Natural very lightweight foundation.

Bloody hell its good, because I was zapped the colour match is perfect and its so light you can't see it at all or feel it, it just evens out my face.

Try it , particularly if you have a drawer where you put your foundation mistakes (ie Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum no 52 like putting on a Caspar the friendly ghost mask for me)

manfalou Thu 30-May-13 10:02:49

Ive used tinted moisturiser before and if you don't get it 'right' its looks AWFUL. I'll never use it again. I don't wear a 'full' face makeup every day... a spot of mascara and lipgloss and off I go. My skin can't handle putting foundation on everyday.

When I do get to put the full face on though I do make sure I 'spread' the foundation right into my hair line, out to my ears and down my neck. As my 14 year old brother once said 'no one wants to see a dirty slapper line at the side of your face because it just looks stupid' hmmm

helloeverything Thu 30-May-13 07:03:09

My tip is don't read the mumsnet style and beauty pages.
My routine has gone from splashing my face with water in the morning to a 15 step skincare and make up routine. I feel loads better though.

zipzap Wed 29-May-13 23:18:20

The other thing I've found helps to save time is to have more than one of the key bits of your make up and have them in different places.

So - bathroom/bedroom for putting on at the start of the day, one set in your handbag for touching up when you need to if out, a set in your car for quick initial application touch up when needed. Doesn't need to be an expensive set of everything - but if you have something for eyes and something for lips then you know you can do something and look like you've made an effort. Recently I've got good lipsticks, mascaras and eyeliners that have been on the front of magazine covers so much cheaper than buying normally. And Boots had a great Nails Inc promotion where you got a bottle of nail varnish when you bought a couple of bottles of coke. Just having them with you and to hand makes it easy to flick a slick of lip balm on (I often have cracked lips so try to keep this on the go) and some eyeliner and look vaguely human.

Trial or travel or bonus gift sizes are also good - they are small so neat to keep with you.

I've also discovered that poundland has some great make up - my current car make up kit is just from poundland and includes a double ended rimmel eyeliner, some nivea tinted lip balm that's a nice deep neutral lip colour, some bourgois eye shadow and some sally hansen nail varnish (not that I ever have time or the inclination to put nail varnish on my finger nails usually but at a pound a pot it just seemed a good idea and one day - I will arrive early at school for pick up with nothing else to do so I will spend some time doing my nails and look groomed... I have a friend who always seems to be immaculately dressed and have great nails and makes it look so easy, one day I will manage to grow up and be like her grin instead of flying in a minute or two after the bell has gone.)

timidviper Mon 27-May-13 21:05:17

I object to the suggestion that one should feel obliged to be applying make-up with a very small baby. If you want to do it you will find time but it is wrong to make anyone feel they should have to.

I went for years using nothing but moisturiser and mascara. My children are now grown up and I am working but still have a fast routine; Nivea tinted moisturiser, a quick slick of Bobbi Brown longlasting cream shadow, gel liner, mascara and a dab of lipgloss on my way out through the door. I'm sure it's less than 3 minutes.

PavlovtheCat Mon 27-May-13 17:05:56

Pair of glasses and some vasaline for my lips.

Rosehassometoes Sun 26-May-13 21:29:32

I was going to add (but am feeding baby and on phone!) :- Lipstick is easier to apply than eyeshadow in a rush so though Pre child I'd play up my eyes and have neutral lips this has now reversed.

Rosehassometoes Sun 26-May-13 21:27:55

I use a pinkish colour corrector as my dark circles are so bad.
Then I use Boots Intelligent colour foundation as it's so light.
YSL mascara
Pink blush then and illuminating bronzer (I use Bobbi Brown)
Usually I then use a Rose pink lipstick just slightly darker than my lip colour but recently I've been experimenting with brighter colours- I don't want to get stuck in a rut.

Lipst

BB cream was launched around the time I had my 1st baby snd it was ages before I knew of its existence as priorities change. I must try some as keep hearing it mentioned.

sickofsocalledexperts Sun 26-May-13 19:07:18

As mum with 2 kids, one of whom s severely autistic, here is my literally 5 second beauty routine:

Splash face with water, dry, apply nanoblur on dodgy bits of face, put max factor mascara for brown eyes (with hint of colour) on top lashes

Re-enter the fray

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 26-May-13 18:54:37

I bloody love make up!
Main tip is a BB cream/ foundation that is the right colour and suits your skin. Bit of cream blush, mascara and lip tint and three minutes is easy.

rf241 Sun 26-May-13 17:42:05

Also thanks Boots, but I only shop in Space NK as you don't do any of the brands I like...apart from mascara and blusher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now