Share your best super-quick make-up tips with the Boots Feel Good Forum - £250 cash to be won

(176 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 17-May-13 15:11:39

Now that the Boots Feel Good Forum series is over, we've packaged up what we think are the best bits - so you can listen to them in easy, short, bite size chunks.

The first of these is about make-up tips. It's only 3 mins long so please do have a listen to make-up artist Daniel Sandler's recommendations on tinted moisturise, curling mascara and other super-quick make-up secrets.

~ Do you have any advice of your own to share on how to look good in a rush?
~ What do you make of Daniel's tips?

Everyone who listens and adds their own tips or feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win £250 cash.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 20-May-13 17:16:18

Hello. We've seen some of the comments on this thread and we agree that we could have phrase our OP and thread title better. We'll sort that out now.

rootypig Mon 20-May-13 17:28:24

I've listened to the little podcast now - the reason it's one handed is because the supposed OP has a three week old baby....

Top tip: put the mascara down, tie your greasy hair up, and get back into bed with your baby.

janekirk Mon 20-May-13 17:42:29

Regular cleansing and rarely use make-up.

whosiwhatsit Mon 20-May-13 17:50:36

Ok well, I'll bite.

I went for many years wearing no makeup at all but now I'm in a more professional job and I feel more polished wearing it.

To save time, I apply bb cream to only the parts of my face that need extra help - cheeks in my case to help with redness and dryness. I then apply base with my fingers and then put a bit of concealer on top. I blend it all together with a foundation brush and this is much quicker than trying to apply it all with the brush from the start.

I also make sure I'm using long lasting products as this avoids me having to reapply. I find that the technology to make base and lipstick in particular has come a long way and the long lasting formulas no longer look fake or dry my skin.

Finally I don't bother with eyeshadow as this takes a long time to apply to make it look good. Instead I use just eyeliner and a bit of mascara and think this looks better for the office anyway as it isn't overdone.

My top tip is to try to make sure my skin is well moisturised and that the moisturiser has had a chance to sink into my skin before putting any makeup on. If my skin isn't in good shape it's pretty pointless putting on makeup at all.

CMOTDibbler Mon 20-May-13 18:17:09

All my makeup is done one handed grin

On an everyday makeup wearing basis, I wash my face with a microfibre cloth, apply Olay 7 in 1 with serum stuff, bit of grey eyeshadow then same eyeshadow as liner, mascara, blusher stick.

The less stuff I have to worry about the better, and this takes very little time to do.

My top tip is to find products that make your skin glow in the washing/moisturising phase so you look naturally good and anything you add is just adding to that

SundaySimmons Mon 20-May-13 18:19:01

My tip is to have an organisesd make up bag or in my case different bags! I keep all my make up in cases at home but have several different bags ready to go. Being organised means not having to scrabble around looking for a particular mascara or the right shade of lipstick!

I have a small cosmetic bag which contains make up for going out in the evening but for every day make up I keep in my handbag I have two cosmetic bags, one contains foundation, concealer, bronzer, blusher and their brushes. In the other bag I keep mascara, eyeshadow, eyebrow powder, eye liner and the lipstick I plan to wear that day. By sorting my make up this way I find it saves me time. I also have a handbag sized magnifying mirror which is brilliant if I leave the house with minimal make up on but need to arrive somewhere on time, as I can then put on the rest of my make up in confidence using a good mirror.

I also save time by using eyeliners that are automatic and so avoiding a blunt pencil and not having a sharpener to hand!

MeiMeiMeiMei Mon 20-May-13 18:19:49

"Now that the Boots Feel Good Forum series is over"

thank feck for that!

PolkaDotCups Mon 20-May-13 18:27:09

I can put on make up very quickly. It takes longer to take it off and put on my face cream at night!

Tinted moisturiser, dark brown powder as eye liner, curl lashes, quick flick of mascara and my Clinique Chubby Stick and I'm good to go. Of course for a night out there is a lot more work involved!

My tip would be to throw out old make up, old mascara is clumpy and not nice to use!

missorinoco Mon 20-May-13 20:00:51

Three uninterrupted minutes would be a luxury. Tinted moisturiser is the product for me. I would love to have rested skin from lots of sleep, but failing that under eye concealer is my other "need".

My tip is to put the straighteners on before you start putting on make up. They will be warm when you are finished, even if it only takes you a minute, and you can then neaten your hair. This also enables me to wash me hair the night before and not worry about drying it before school/work.

I use Estee Lauder doublewear as a concealer/foundation and it covers all manner of sins. (Spots, dark circles, blemishes, uneven skin tone).

I just slap it on. The shade suits me perfectly so all I need to do is whack on some mascara. (Not fussy which one so long as it doesn't migrate all over my face)

And that's it. I look/feel more human and it sticks to my face for most of the day. Job done with a minute to spare!

My tip would be to moisturise when you're not long out of the shower, I find that this means that I never have too dry or too oily skin and I don't have to wait for it to soak in before applying makeup

Tee2072 Mon 20-May-13 20:24:03

HA! Love the new title. grin

grew Mon 20-May-13 20:34:43

Top tip is Garnier BB Cream, takes seconds to put on and is much cheaper than a foundation

cat Mon 20-May-13 20:48:22

Lolling at the people who claim they haven't got three minutes spare to apply make-up. But they appear to have the time to post about their busyness on an Internet forum.

Tee2072 Mon 20-May-13 20:57:18

Yes cat. In the evening. When they probably aren't going any where, they have time to post on a forum. As do you, apparently.

Not in the morning in the rush to go out the door.

Did I really just have to explain that to you?

hmm

Blusher - takes seconds but always makes me look better, even if I do little or nothing else.

mumalah Mon 20-May-13 21:23:38

Revive a tired mascara by placing it in a cup of just boiled water for a few minutes.

JoyMachine Mon 20-May-13 21:26:30

Ooh mumalah- it's the opposite for gloopy nail polish- stick it in the fridge! grin

BreatheandFlyAway Mon 20-May-13 21:33:51

Tinted moisturiser as I step out of shower and brush teeth. Slapped on. A bit of neutral lipstick dabbed onto lips cheeks and eye lids and rubbed in on the latter two. And check face in car mirror at traffic lights to ensure I don't look like a clown. It gives a mildly healthy appearance even on half dead days and makes me feel better than if I do nothing.

bluebump Mon 20-May-13 21:37:56

I always wear foundation, concealer, mascara and blusher every day. It takes hardly any time at all to do and I think I look better for it. My tip is to get out everything you want to put on your face first and put it away as you go along - I find I'm less likely to pull out a long lost eyeliner that way and spend ages having a play. (I get my work clothes ready the night before too to save time!)

If you can get your eyelashes and brows tinted and shaped every now and then (you can do if at home) then that's a long way to looking a bit swish without doing any more than moisturiser or tinted moisturiser in thd morning.
And I find that the occasional spray with some self tan mist stuff means I don't even need the tinted.

sharond101 Mon 20-May-13 21:47:36

I heat my eyelash curlers with my hairdryer for instant drama eyes. It makes all the difference with very little effort.

HannahLI Mon 20-May-13 21:53:00

I liked the tips Daniel gave, I think to add to a tinted moisteriser find one that has an SPF factor as well so that its one less thing to worry about! I really like YSL Touche eclat for under the eyes as for me it works better than concealer. I also think that a bit of eyeshadow and an eyeliner really help to make you look as though you have had the time to do your makeup rather than gone for the minimalist look. Just be careful you don't leave eyeliner on your baby when you kiss there face!

cat Mon 20-May-13 22:01:09

Yes Tee. I've got time to post on an Internet forum. I also have time to apply make up and appear groomed for work each morning.

Your point is???

If somebody doesn't want to wear make-up, then that's up to them. Each to their own and all that.

But don't try and pretend that you are too busy to apply it.

If you wanted to wear it you could find time. Whack on a bit of lippy and mascara on while the kids are eating breakfast. Or the baby is in it's bouncy chair. It's hardly brain surgery.

daisybrown Mon 20-May-13 22:02:27

Wash then dry!
Saves a fortune on make up, but maybe the cosmetic/toiletry companies don't want to know that !!!

somanymiles Mon 20-May-13 22:09:05

I have very fair skin and can't go out without sun block. Have just discovered tinted sunblock for my face which is very handy. Also, if I don't have time for anything else I always wear perfume and lipstick, and keep lip balm in my handbag for anytime I have a few spare seconds to apply. I have some old make up which I allow DS (2 years old) to play with while I'm doing mine, with some hilarious consequences.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now