Listen to MNers talking about getting ready for summer on the Boots Feel Good Forum and tell us what you think - £200 voucher to be won

(152 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 19-Apr-13 12:19:23

We hope lots of you tuned in to the latest Boots Feel Good Forum but if you missed it, please listen to the podcast. The show discusses tips and advice on getting ready for summer, from travel health and sun safety to how to get your body beach-ready! MNers have been posting about this all week - please see their comments below.

The show features experts GP Dr Rob Hicks, Boots Skin Scientific Advisor Mike Bell and Michelle Mone, founder and CEO of Ultimo and creator of body sculpting skincare ranges Usculpt and Utan. Mike has answered some MNers' Qs that he didn't have time to cover on the show on this thread so please scroll down for those - there will be some answers from Dr Rob very soon too.

Please do listen to the podcast and then come back to this thread and tell us what you think.

As a thank you for taking part, Boots will be giving a £200 voucher to a poster picked at random from this thread.

Thanks
MNHQ

Please note that your comments may be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname won't appear.
The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents.

goldenretriever Sun 21-Apr-13 09:22:53

Adviced on a good sun tan lotion for children with psoriasis please.

ForYourEyesYoniBrian Sun 21-Apr-13 09:31:47

What can I use to stop my dyed hair getting really porous and beach hair whilst on hols? I know it is very trendy amongst da youth but I am old enough that I simply look unkempt!

CheeryCherry Sun 21-Apr-13 11:40:35

Is is true that there are certain food you can eat which deter midges and mozzies? Which products do you recommend to fend them off? And which are the best to soothe bites? My DCs suffer from infected bites as soon as they strike. Thanks.

Is there a facial sunscreen that lasts all day? I have scarring on my face so I like to wear foundation, but then if I reapply the sunscreen I need to to reapply makeup and its a real pain.

What's the best insect repellant and bite cream for babies and toddlers?

PrimalChic Sun 21-Apr-13 15:16:19

Sun creams - Green People sun creams are great. Not greasy, feels like a moisturiser an rubs in v well at high factors. They smell lovely and I've heard they're good for the most sensitive skins.

Scalp burning - I always burn on my parting so I keep moving it when in the sun. The side, the centre, then the other side, then scrape it all back when I go in the water.

Can you put cream on babies of any age? My DS is 4 months.

serendipity1980 Sun 21-Apr-13 16:39:06

What is the best sun protection for adults - factor 50 because I'm very pale and sensitive? What is the easiest and best sun protection for children? Also is there a good subtle self tan that blends in easily? Thanks!

Leafmould Mon 22-Apr-13 00:04:28

The eczema nurse recommended sun sense toddler milk or sun lotion. It's an Australian formulation for sensitive skin. I found it fine on my kids who reacted really badly to Nivea sun cream.

What about dark skinned people?

What factor is appropriate for dark skinned children, is is just factor 50 or is it less to allow vitamin d absorption?

Now that the temperature has improved and the heating is off, I am off chips..... Looking for lunchtime options which you can get which are as cheap as chip though, is hard. Chips is 80p. Anybody got any filling and healthy lunches for 80p?

Also who is going to answer these questions and when? Is this a q&a or a chat?

GiraffesAndButterflies Mon 22-Apr-13 08:02:53

Every sun cream I've tried gives me spots on my face and back, do you have one that won't?

tilder Mon 22-Apr-13 08:17:43

Where do I get sunglasses to fit my 6 year old? The 'one size fit all' kids ones are too small and I don't know where I go for slightly bigger ones. Need to have uv protection but be cheap as kids glasses get lost, broken, stepped on etc.

suprisepitstop Mon 22-Apr-13 09:42:00

When you buy sunscreen, living in Britain means you dont often finish the bottles, and you put them away for the next year. I have heard that the efficacy of sunscreen decreases over time. What is your recommendation for the optimal time to keep sunscreen and other sun products?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 22-Apr-13 09:45:53

Everyone asking about non-greasy, easy to apply suncream - have you tried Sudocrem sun protections mousse ?

It's in the baby section rather than with the suncream (why is that?!) but is great. Easy to apply, non greasy, has an expiry date on the bottom of the can and without lots of the not so nice ingredients that many other products contain.

My question: I heard somewhere that boosting your system with B vitamins before holidaying can work as a natural insect repellant? DS1 (7) and I are prone to bites, especially mosquito, and we always react badly. Can you tell me more about how to protect ourselves and if there's any truth about the b vitamins what do we need to take, when and what dosage?

Blatherskite Mon 22-Apr-13 09:59:45

After a very long winter of being inside jeans, trousers and leggings, my legs are so white they're almost blue! I've epilated them and they're looking smoother but the skin is still mottled and pale. What's the best way of making them look good enough to get out?

Is fake tan my only option?

specialsubject Mon 22-Apr-13 10:20:50

there are chemicals in everything. The people who won't use sunscreen because of 'chemicals' need to learn some science.

suncream does need to go on before leaving the hotel room, and at intervals in the day.

babies under six months should be kept in the shade at all times and wear light clothing and a hat. Active children wear that light clothing, rash vests and suncream on exposed skin.

the sun isn't dangerous.

no cream affects stretch marks.

this is a very scary thread. Good luck, Mr Boots.

thebestpossibletaste Mon 22-Apr-13 12:02:36

What is the best sun cream for children with very sensitive skin? Can you explain to me how sun screen works and whether the chemicals used can cause problems?

Also I think it would be handy if more sun cream companies brought out small bottles of sun cream as these are handy for children to carry in their school bags.

I'm looking for a good self-tan cream or fake tan that is instant but maybe washes off. The problem with all the self tans is they always seem to be streaky and they smell horrible, yet I can't afford (and don't have the time) to go to a beauty salon for a spray tan. I only want something to give my legs a hint of colour so I don't look pasty white when I go without tights.

Tapvick Mon 22-Apr-13 12:09:37

Are there any waterproof sun creams that do not stain my clothes and towels??
Any recommendations for non drowsy travel sickness tablets for my little ones ( 4 and 6)

EmberRainbow Mon 22-Apr-13 14:00:36

Hi, this has been mentioned already but as a very pale, freckly redhead who always wears trousers my legs are a pasty/mottled blue shade and i am scared to use fake tan myself.
Which self tanning moisturiser products will give my skin a hint of a natural none orange colour so i can be more confident to get my legs out into some real sun?
Thanks

ThePskettiIncident Mon 22-Apr-13 14:46:18

I have acute psoriasis. I really need sunshine to help my skin, but how much is too much? And what should I do about sunscreen, which aggravates my skin and blocks out the vitamin D I need?

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 22-Apr-13 15:35:31

leafmould - some of the Qs posted here will be answered by the experts on the Boots Feel Good Forum radio show, which will be on air on Sunday night - 7-8pm on Real and 8-9pm on Smooth Radio. If you miss it, you'll be able to listen again on Mumsnet afterwards so keep an eye out for that. Also, the experts will be answering some Qs that they don't have time to answer on the show on this thread - these will be posted early next week.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Mon 22-Apr-13 16:38:00

does taking vitamin B1 keep away mozzies? and what can I use on the brown sun damage spots to fade them. (years of poor suncare until we knew what it actually did)

80QuidYoniJob Mon 22-Apr-13 18:12:30

My second baby is due in July, is it okay to put suncream on a new born? Obviously I won't be out in the sun with him a lot but I do want to be outside some of the time!

Niknakpaddywhack Mon 22-Apr-13 18:14:07

KelleStar for anything that chafes I've used Lanacaine Anti-chafe gel and found it to be great.

My question is about ingrowing hairs blush ever since I tried epilating my legs last spring I have had terrible spots on my lower legs and am too embarassed to show them at all sad. I would love to be able to wear skirts, shorts or even cut-off trousers again. I've tried Tend Skin and sudocrem and now I'm trying a moisturiser with added fake tan to try to disguise them. Any advice please?

poorbuthappy Mon 22-Apr-13 18:19:47

I know its been asked up there...

But really, what is the difference between cheap and expensive sun creams?

nenevomito Mon 22-Apr-13 18:59:13

I will get my body ready for summer by swapping my thick waterproof coat for my thin waterproof coat. I will then stick my body in it.

Meglet Mon 22-Apr-13 20:06:55

Another one who wants to know about ingrowing hairs. I exfoliate my legs every day of my life but still the buggers grow in and in and in then I have to squeeze them out. Every moisturiser bar Bio Oil (expensive, so I can only buy it a few times a year) gives me spots on my legs.

Do the fancy anti-ingrowing hair oils work? If so how?

Shaving isn't an option as the hair is too thick and dark but as it stands I wear trouser all year round as my legs are dotted with scars. The only thing that helps is sunbathing and we don't get enough of that these days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now