Boots Feel Good Forum: skin and ageing – listen to the podcast and tell us what you think - voucher to be won

(155 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 17-Mar-13 21:38:15

We hope lots of you have been tuning in to the Boots Feel Good Forum on Real Radio & Smooth Radio.

The latest show is about looking after your skin and how to feel good at any age, featuring skin expert Dr Nick Lowe MD and Psychologist Emma Kenny - see what Qs MNers have been asking the experts on the thread below.

Please listen to the show and tell us what you think on this thread. What advice interested you most? Are you going to try doing anything differently as a result? Everyone who posts a comment will be entered into a prize draw to win a £50 Boots voucher.

Coming up on the next show top to toe beauty, looking at haircare and skin conditions amongst other things. Post your question for the experts here. You can listen to the best bits of all the shows via our pop-out player here and you can also find more info here.

Thanks
MNHQ

Please note that your comments may be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname wont appear.

The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents

Tee2072 Tue 02-Apr-13 14:27:22

OtherHelen is there anyway to get a transcript of the actual broadcast? I rarely have 19 minutes all in a row to listen to anything!

Just wondering if my question was answered...

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 02-Apr-13 11:43:35

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread - I'm pleased to announce that the winner of the prize draw is...

harryhausen - congratualtions - a £50 Boots voucher is yours! I'll PM you to get your details.

MERLYPUSS Sat 30-Mar-13 10:49:24

Is there any kind of facil wash/scrub that would not leave my (normally ok) cheeks feeling stripped?

DrNickLoweMD Thu 28-Mar-13 15:59:42

Haberdashery

I'm 44 and beginning to look a bit wrinkly, but I also have very oily skin. Can you recommend something that will help fight the wrinkles but not give me spots? Every cream I have tried that is specifically for aging skin ends up making me look like a teenager (and not in a good way, just spots for days). Sometimes even things that are aimed at oilier skin are a bit too moisturising for me.

Some of the lighter-texture day creams, such as the Dr Nick Lowe Supercharged SPF 15 day cream, may be very satisfactory for your skin protection.

The most important thing also is to choose cleansers very carefully: if you have oily skin then you should use something like that Dr Nick Lowe oil reducing cleanser on a cotton ball and for the rest of the face the hydrating foaming cleanser.

During the winter months, your cleansers and face cream may need to be more moisturising, for example the Secret is Out Cream cleanser.

If you continue to get acne spots, then you should consult a dermatologist for treatment. In the meantime, the Dr Nick Lowe spot gel anti-blemish range can be very helpful - apply two to three times a day to new spots to stop them developing. An oil control day cream can also help to reduce skin oil and blemishes.

DrNickLoweMD Thu 28-Mar-13 15:58:11

JS06

I'd like some super-boost advice for when I go out and stand on the edge of a rugby pitch for 90 minutes in this British wintery weather supporting my son. I know that my regular products probably don't give enough protection for my dry, fair, softly lining round the eyes a bit skin. I still want to use full make up but please advise on the underneath stuff so that I can emerge as untargeted by the elements as possible.

In the winter months there is little sunburn, but there are UVA rays that can damage your skin and you will get considerable drying from the cold winter weather. Then when you go into hot, dry rooms, this will dry out your skin even more.

What you need to do is to use a daily moisturising SPF 15 UVA cream. For example, Dr Nick Lowe's Secret is Out SPF 15 UVA day cream has been shown to be highly moisturising and contain important anti-ageing ingredients. Apply this after cleansing, and then allow it to dry for two minutes and then reapply your make-up.

Don't forget to take a protective lip balm when you're standing outdoors, to stop your lips drying out and to protect the sensitive skin of the lips from sun damage. If it is a sunny day, then you should also be using (even in winter sun) protective sunglasses.

DrNickLoweMD Thu 28-Mar-13 15:56:16

Fast

I have oily skin but spend a lot of time outdoors. I know I need a sun-cream but even the ones designed for facial use seem to be too heavy and claggy, can you recommend anything please?

Also, I have a couple of sun-spots on the top of each cheek. Is there anything that can lighten their appearance or is the damage permanent?

Thanks.

There are facial creams that you can find formulated for your skin, for example Dr Nick Lowe's Supercharged SPF 15 day cream, which will not be heavy and will be easy for you to use. In addition, tailor your skin cleansing routine to reduce the oily areas of your face, for example the Dr Nick Lowe oil reducing sebum control cleanser or purifying foaming cleanser. These can be alternated with a moisturising product.

Your sunspots may be completely benign sunspots, but some brown spots can be precancerous or cancerous. See a consultant dermatologist for an accurate diagnosis and they will then be able to make the correct treatment recommendation.

There are many different ways of treating benign sunspots, but only after they have been diagnosed as benign. Some of those include lightening day creams, sun protection day creams, as well as prescription lightening creams.

DrNickLoweMD Thu 28-Mar-13 15:53:23

MummyPig24

I'm 25, should I start using a face cream now? I use a light moisturiser but do I need something with an SPF and that will prevent wrinkles?

Yes, this is a great idea. Sun damage starts when you are young and shows up 10 to 15 years later, so start using a face cream such as an SPF 15 UVA moisturising cream. Apply this to your whole face after gently cleansing the skin and it will definitely help to reduce your skin ageing.

DrNickLoweMD Thu 28-Mar-13 15:50:03

zzzexhaustedzzz

I don't understand what 'serum' is supposed to do... The organics people in Boots told me it goes under moisturiser. Also where does 'cream' come in? Is that NOT moisturiser?
An increasingly creased 38 yr old

In general, serums are lighter, thinner preparations than creams and dry more quickly. Serums are great ways of rapidly delivering important ingredients to the skin, such as skin rejuvenators, lighteners and those that can tighten the skin.

The serum can be applied as the first layer to the skin, followed by a sunscreen containing day cream, followed by your cosmetic cream. If you are going out in the evening, then a serum can be applied before your evening cosmetic to smooth the skin before your make-up is applied.

DrNickLoweMD Thu 28-Mar-13 15:47:18

SunshinePanda

When using eye cream should I use anything else as well? I currently use all the protect and perfect intense range but am not sure whether to use serum under the eye cream and if I don't use the moisturiser on top of the eye cream I won't have any SPF. I don't want to overload the skin under my eyes but at the same time I want to do all I can to keep wrinkles and dark circles away! Advice needed please!!

Eyelid skin protection is vitally important because the skin around the eyes is already very thin, can be easily wrinkled and become puffy and discoloured.

Gently cleanse with a cream cleanser on a cotton ball, apply the appropriate eye serum, puffy eye gel or dark circle cream, let it dry and then apply a day protection SPF 15 UVA cream on top of that as a gentle layering.

At night use the specific eye cream (see my answer to Yjossarian's question) to target your eye problem.

DrNickLoweMD Thu 28-Mar-13 15:45:55

MakeTeaNotWar

My non-sleeping children have added a decade to my skin - dark circles and ashen. What can I do to perk up my complexion despite having no sleep?

Try to get some sleep, if possible get away from your children - at least temporarily! Or get some help and advice in getting them to sleep.

One approach is to try daily exercise - this can help to relax you, give you a break from the kids and stimulate your circulation, which can help to perk up your complexion. Daily protection creams with SPF 15 and UVA, moisturising, skin lightening creams and gentle facial scrubs once to twice a week can all help.

For dark circles, apply a dark circle cream and make sure you use sunglasses when in sunlight or when driving. Good luck with the non-sleeping children.

DrNickLoweMD Thu 28-Mar-13 15:44:28

ChipTheFish

I'm 23, but look older. I think this is down to my skin being quite dull. What should I use to make it brighter?

Also, I have visible open pores on my forehead and nose, is there away to close these to make my skin tone more even?

Your skin is probably dull because you have not been using daily sun protection and also because possibly your skin may be dry. Skin can also be dull in smokers.

My suggestion is that if you are smoking you stop, and if you're not a smoker, don't start. Apply a daily SPF 15 UVA protection after cream cleansing. You can use a nightly brightening cream and use a gentle scrub one to two days a week. Do not over-scrub as it can make the skin too dry.

Pores are necessary channels in your skin that naturally drain your oil glands (sebaceous glands). It is possible that large pores are related to acne and increased oiliness of the skin.

Non-prescription creams you should look for are those containing Salicylic Acid, Willow Bark or Niacinamide. These will help to reduce the pores and also the oiliness.

If your oiliness and pores are more severe, then more powerful prescription creams like Tretinoin or Isotretinoin cream or gel may be helpful. For these you can only get these from a consultant or dermatologist and only if you are suitable.

DrNickLoweMD Thu 28-Mar-13 15:42:48

Oddsod

Hi I have developed age spots or hyperpigmentation following two pregnancies. I also have developed puffy eyelids and suddenly feel very old and tired looking. I have tried remedies for both of these issues but not seen any improvement. What should I be doing to change things? Thanks

Age spots are actually not from age, they are from sun exposure. Pigmentation on your face from the pregnancies, which is known medically as melasma, is a result of hormones stimulating your pigment cells in your skin to respond more to UVA. Use a skin-brightening lightening cream, then put SPF15 UVA day protection cream on top after it has dried - you can layer these every effectively. Once those two are dry, you can use your make-up on top.

Reapply your lightening cream at night. This will gradually work, but do not expect an immediate effect - it will take several weeks or months of continued use to show benefits. Excellent light creams include Dr Nick Lowe Super Light Skin Tone Perfector and Boots No 7 Dark Spot Corrector.

Puffy eyes have several causes, including small fat pads under the eyes, fluid build-up and sun damage leading to weathered skin. The best remedies are to use a puffy eye gel, eg Dr Nick Lowe Puffy Eye Gel, and apply this twice a day. Remember to protect your eyes with sunglasses and use your day protective creams just up to your eyelids. You can put your puffy eye gel on, let it dry and follow it with your day protective cream.

At night, use an extra pillow to elevate your head and also use your puffy eye gel. Our puffy eye gel contains the active ingredient caffeine, which reduces the water content.

Another trick is to use cold cucumber slices out of your refrigerator and apply them to the eyelids for 10 minutes. As they dry slowly, they evaporate and reduce the puffiness of your eyes.

DrNickLoweMD Thu 28-Mar-13 15:41:12

ThisIsNotWhatIWasAfter

I'm a 30 (and a bit) year old recent ex smoker with an outside job how can i avoid looking like an old handbag in years to come, In particular my hands, sunscreen might help my face but it just gets washed off my hands.

Congratulations on stopping smoking. Daily SPF 15 UVA protection with moisturiser and night creams will improve your skin now that you have given up smoking.

As regards your hands, can you improve the protection you're using at work? Protect your hands with gloves whenever possible, and apply moisturising creams underneath your gloves. Reapply sun protection and hand cream (make sure this has added moisturiser) as often as possible. Keep it wherever you regularly wash your hands.

Another important note on hand protection is that whenever you're driving, your hands are exposed to UVA that coming through window glass and it ages the skin. Always put on SPF 15 UVA protecting hand cream when driving.

DrNickLoweMD Thu 28-Mar-13 15:40:03

Iggity

Can a product actually change/improve the skin or does it just make it look a bit better temporarily?

Some products (excluding cosmetics) can give long-term skin improvement, for example reduction in the appearance of fine lines, blotchy pigment and skin redness. They need to have scientifically tested ingredients to achieve these. Boots and Dr. Nick Lowe products have been formulated and tested to deliver these benefits.

Some products can also give temporary improvement. For example, moisturisers' humectants can actually improve skin quality and 'plump' up your skin, and skin-tightening ingredients such as peptides, particularly the hexapeptides, can give temporary tightening.

DrNickLoweMD Thu 28-Mar-13 15:38:16

maloofysmum

I've just turned 40 {yikes} and feel I should step up my skin care routine. I've never really worn make up so feel my skin is OK, but i really don't drink enough (water not wine) so find it quite dry. I don't have lots of spare cash to buy all the wonder creams and potions I see on Mumsnet and wondered what was the best product to buy to stop myself looking like a wrinkly dried out prune? Any and all helpful advice appreciated!
ta!

This question reveals one myth: that drinking water helps to moisturise skin. Drinking sufficient water to be healthy is clearly vital and you should drink at least two pints of fluids a day to maintain a healthy fluid balance. But what moisturises the skin is having a good skin barrier to prevent water loss, which then allows the skin to retain moisture, and using good moisturising skin products.

Many of Dr Nick Lowe products and Boots products have been tested to prove this. Ingredients to look for are humectants (which trap moisture in the skin) such as Glycerin, Hyaluronic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Stearate and Lecithin. All of these are sometimes combined with natural moisturising factors, which mimic the skin's own moisture 'factory'.

Don't forget that as well as your face, your arms, body and legs can all dry out severely, so use moisturising cream cleansers and lotion washes in these areas when they are dry.

DrNickLoweMD Thu 28-Mar-13 15:36:37

StillStuck

my skin is showing signs of sun damage due to a youth spent doing water sports and skiing, I used sun cream but I guess especially being in the water I wasn't always adequately protected. whats the best thing for me to do to look after my skin now and minimise the damage developing?

I see many patients in their early twenties in Southern California with sun damage and I am now seeing these in the UK due to holidays abroad and tanning salon sunbeds. Skin damage in childhood and teenage years shows up as sunspots and wrinkles anywhere from five to 15 years later.

It is never too late to repair this damage. A recent study we performed using a daily sun protection cream and our skin lightening cream showed significant improvement after 16 weeks, which almost equalled four intense pulsed light treatments.

The message is, whenever and whatever the other treatments you are using, use a regular day protection and appropriate night treatment cream.
Boots Number 7 and our Secret Is Out SPF15 Lifting Cream have excellent ingredients, for example matrikines, which are peptides that can rejuvenate the damaged skin collagen that occurs with sun damage.

DrNickLoweMD Thu 28-Mar-13 15:35:16

TravelinColour

I'm not bothered about looking old
I am bothered about looking cross.

That's why I want to sort my forehead frown lines.

The sorts of forehead lines you have are caused by what I term hypermobile or overactive muscles of the forehead. Do not forget to use protective day creams and sunglasses, as squinting can increase your frown lines.

DrNickLoweMD Thu 28-Mar-13 15:31:54

Littlecherublegs

I often get confused by all the different products on the market - do I really need a toner, cleanser, moisturiser, exfolitator, scrub, sun screen, wrinkle / anti-ageing cream, serum, balm, gel, etc etc etc....???!!
Is there not an all-encompassing product that does everything?????!!

My bathroom cabinet and bedroom dressing table is full of lotions & potions - Im not even entirely sure what they are all for - any basic, simple explanations of which are the essentials and how/when to use them would be great! Thank you!! smile

The answer is you do not need all of these. You will actually confuse yourself as well as your skin by trying to use them all.

The best approach is to identify your skin type: is it dry, is it sensitive, ie does it react to previous skin products with itching and redness, which would be a sign that you have skin sensitivity, is it oily, is it a combination of all of the above ie combination normal to dry, combination oily to dry.

Do not forget parts of your face that may be dry, such as the cheeks, and the central area, which may be more oily. Speak to skincare advisors in larger Boots stores.

Once you have identified your skin type, choose a practical skin programme that you can sensibly and easily achieve. Use a maximum of two morning products layered one on the other and use one or two evening products. So, for example, if you have a tendency to redness use a redness-calming cream, let it dry and follow this with a SPF-15 UVA protecting day cream moisturiser.

If you have dark patches or dullness, apply a skin lightening cream, let it dry and follow this with your protecting day cream.

At night, use your redness calming cream or your lightening cream.

Remember you may need to change your products with the seasons - you may need more moisturising products in the winter, when central heating and cold weather dries your skin, and you may need to take fewer hot showers and baths.

You may need to less moisturiser in the summer. Speak to your Boots advisors if you are concerned.

DrNickLoweMD Thu 28-Mar-13 15:24:07

Yjossarian

I am 27 and have lines at the sides of my eyes when I smile...is there anything I can do to prevent this getting worse that doesn't involve not smiling any more? Because I couldn't do that! grin

The skin around the eyes is thin and so prone to wrinkling, discolouration, puffiness and eye bags. It is more susceptible to damage by sunlight because it is so thin, especially UVA rays, which penetrate the dermis. It is also damaged by smoking, which causes collagen and elastin breakdown.

Actions you can take to protect the eye area include:
~ Use ultraviolet protective glasses whenever possible outdoors or when driving. Please note these do not necessarily have to be dark glasses although obviously in intense sunlight it is more comfortable if they are dark.

~ Use an eye serum every morning or a puffy eye gel, depending on your skin problem. If you have dark circles use a dark circle cream. Let it dry and then apply a protective day cream with SPF-15 and UVA protection. You can apply this over the eye cream, but do not get it too near the eyes just up to the eyelids.

~ Use a product that can tighten and lighten the skin around the eyes - the ingredients to look for here are peptides, liquorice extracts, and also look at the packaging to see if there have been any scientific tests performed on the product.

~ Look at your eyes and decide what problem you have: if you have wrinkles, choose a wrinkle-reducing cream; if you have puffiness choose a puff-reducing gel or cream; if you have dark circles choose a dark circle cream or lightener.

~ Check that the skin products you choose have been tested to ensure they don't irritate the eyes, otherwise you will obviously not be able to tolerate them.

~ Other options include appropriate lasers and radiofrequency, if you have intense smile lines as you are getting older.

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 28-Mar-13 14:36:53

Thanks to everyone who posted a question about skin and ageing on this thread - skin expert Dr Nick Lowe MD has answered some of the questions he didn't have time to cover in the show - please do have a read of his answers below...

Rulesgirl Mon 25-Mar-13 02:15:20

a

I'm just about to each 45 and have always had great skin and i loom after it well but these days it feels quite dehydrated. I'm layering serum and cream mixed with facial oil but still feel tight. Any suggestions of what I can use?

Joanwilson Sun 24-Mar-13 14:33:08

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Snog Sat 23-Mar-13 12:02:32

How best to deal with those horrible (hormone-related??) chin spots?

MrsNRay Sat 23-Mar-13 01:25:32

What an amazing thread! I'm definitely on the look out for tips! My two main concerns are that I've heard that to have good skin, you need to both drink plenty of water and find a cream that suits your skin and use it daily. I always forget to drink enough water and have never got on with creams. Firstly, can you recommend a good cream for very dry skin? Secondly, how important is it to drink enough water? Can water be replaced with tea? Also, can you tell me how to stop my hands from getting dry and cracked? They are horrendous from washing them all the time because I want them clean to deal with my baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now