Boots Feel Good Forum: skin and ageing – listen to the podcast and tell us what you think - voucher to be won

(155 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 17-Mar-13 21:38:15

We hope lots of you have been tuning in to the Boots Feel Good Forum on Real Radio & Smooth Radio.

The latest show is about looking after your skin and how to feel good at any age, featuring skin expert Dr Nick Lowe MD and Psychologist Emma Kenny - see what Qs MNers have been asking the experts on the thread below.

Please listen to the show and tell us what you think on this thread. What advice interested you most? Are you going to try doing anything differently as a result? Everyone who posts a comment will be entered into a prize draw to win a £50 Boots voucher.

Coming up on the next show top to toe beauty, looking at haircare and skin conditions amongst other things. Post your question for the experts here. You can listen to the best bits of all the shows via our pop-out player here and you can also find more info here.

Thanks
MNHQ

Please note that your comments may be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname wont appear.

The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents

DrNickLoweMD Thu 28-Mar-13 15:58:11

JS06

I'd like some super-boost advice for when I go out and stand on the edge of a rugby pitch for 90 minutes in this British wintery weather supporting my son. I know that my regular products probably don't give enough protection for my dry, fair, softly lining round the eyes a bit skin. I still want to use full make up but please advise on the underneath stuff so that I can emerge as untargeted by the elements as possible.

In the winter months there is little sunburn, but there are UVA rays that can damage your skin and you will get considerable drying from the cold winter weather. Then when you go into hot, dry rooms, this will dry out your skin even more.

What you need to do is to use a daily moisturising SPF 15 UVA cream. For example, Dr Nick Lowe's Secret is Out SPF 15 UVA day cream has been shown to be highly moisturising and contain important anti-ageing ingredients. Apply this after cleansing, and then allow it to dry for two minutes and then reapply your make-up.

Don't forget to take a protective lip balm when you're standing outdoors, to stop your lips drying out and to protect the sensitive skin of the lips from sun damage. If it is a sunny day, then you should also be using (even in winter sun) protective sunglasses.

DrNickLoweMD Thu 28-Mar-13 15:59:42

Haberdashery

I'm 44 and beginning to look a bit wrinkly, but I also have very oily skin. Can you recommend something that will help fight the wrinkles but not give me spots? Every cream I have tried that is specifically for aging skin ends up making me look like a teenager (and not in a good way, just spots for days). Sometimes even things that are aimed at oilier skin are a bit too moisturising for me.

Some of the lighter-texture day creams, such as the Dr Nick Lowe Supercharged SPF 15 day cream, may be very satisfactory for your skin protection.

The most important thing also is to choose cleansers very carefully: if you have oily skin then you should use something like that Dr Nick Lowe oil reducing cleanser on a cotton ball and for the rest of the face the hydrating foaming cleanser.

During the winter months, your cleansers and face cream may need to be more moisturising, for example the Secret is Out Cream cleanser.

If you continue to get acne spots, then you should consult a dermatologist for treatment. In the meantime, the Dr Nick Lowe spot gel anti-blemish range can be very helpful - apply two to three times a day to new spots to stop them developing. An oil control day cream can also help to reduce skin oil and blemishes.

MERLYPUSS Sat 30-Mar-13 10:49:24

Is there any kind of facil wash/scrub that would not leave my (normally ok) cheeks feeling stripped?

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 02-Apr-13 11:43:35

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread - I'm pleased to announce that the winner of the prize draw is...

harryhausen - congratualtions - a £50 Boots voucher is yours! I'll PM you to get your details.

Tee2072 Tue 02-Apr-13 14:27:22

OtherHelen is there anyway to get a transcript of the actual broadcast? I rarely have 19 minutes all in a row to listen to anything!

Just wondering if my question was answered...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now