Boots Feel Good Forum: skin and ageing – listen to the podcast and tell us what you think - voucher to be won

(155 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 17-Mar-13 21:38:15

We hope lots of you have been tuning in to the Boots Feel Good Forum on Real Radio & Smooth Radio.

The latest show is about looking after your skin and how to feel good at any age, featuring skin expert Dr Nick Lowe MD and Psychologist Emma Kenny - see what Qs MNers have been asking the experts on the thread below.

Please listen to the show and tell us what you think on this thread. What advice interested you most? Are you going to try doing anything differently as a result? Everyone who posts a comment will be entered into a prize draw to win a £50 Boots voucher.

Coming up on the next show top to toe beauty, looking at haircare and skin conditions amongst other things. Post your question for the experts here. You can listen to the best bits of all the shows via our pop-out player here and you can also find more info here.

Thanks
MNHQ

Please note that your comments may be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname wont appear.

The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents

Roseformeplease Mon 18-Mar-13 17:44:32

In my mid 40s my skin is changing, and not in a good way. My dry skin (eczema) seems to be drier with some stubborn dry and flaky patches near the hairline and one cheek. However, my chin seems to have the odd spot - one there in a different place all the time.

I use Eucerin for the dry skin, have just ordered (on advice from mumsnet) and started using La Roche Posay on the worst bits. But each bit of my face seems to need something different. Do I use different creams on different bits, one cream with another on top or just weep!

cherrylolly Mon 18-Mar-13 18:23:31

I'm 42 and over the last couple of years my skin tone has become quite red, is there anything I can use to lessen this?

ChipTheFish Mon 18-Mar-13 18:24:07

I'm 23, but look older. I think this is down to my skin being quite dull. What should I use to make it brighter?

Also, I have visible open pores on my forehead and nose, is there away to close these to make my skin tone more even?

Natara Mon 18-Mar-13 18:24:21

I'm always hearing about wonder foods that have anti-ageing properties. Think spirulina, silica etc... Are there really any wonder foods for our skin, besides the obvious one of eating well and drinking lots of water??

kayleigh39 Mon 18-Mar-13 19:48:18

I'm 25 and have never using anti-ageing creams, I have lost almost 6 stone and my face is looking drawn and tired. What could I use to make it look and feel better? Thanks

bustybetty Mon 18-Mar-13 19:49:33

whats the best tip for stopping bright lipstick going into the fine lines of your lips?

StillStuck Mon 18-Mar-13 20:01:14

my skin is showing signs of sun damage due to a youth spent doing water sports and skiing, I used sun cream but I guess especially being in the water I wasn't always adequately protected. whats the best thing for me to do to look after my skin now and minimise the damage developing?

gazzalw Mon 18-Mar-13 20:16:23

Right I am a guy about to hit the big 50 - I am slim and reasonably fit but I do smoke (10 a day) and drink. What should I be doing/taking to help me actively and healthily embrace my next fifty years?

Oddsod Mon 18-Mar-13 20:20:52

Hi I have developed age spots or hyperpigmentation following two pregnancies. I also have developed puffy eyelids and suddenly feel very old and tired looking. I have tried remedies for both of these issues but not seen any improvement. What should I be doing to change things? Thanks

I'm a 30 (and a bit) year old recent ex smoker with an outside job how can i avoid looking like an old handbag in years to come, In particular my hands, sunscreen might help my face but it just gets washed off my hands.

BusyLittleSpider Mon 18-Mar-13 20:44:05

My fun filled twenties have left me with dreadful skin in my thirties, I have massive bags under my eyes that never go even after a good nights sleep and my complexion is dull and sallow. So, my question is, can I do anything to improve this? I already use the best moisturiser I can afford, try (but don't always suceed) to drink plenty of water and eat a balanced diet. Is there anything else I can do?

Tortington Mon 18-Mar-13 20:57:46

why oh why does my moisuriser ball up and flake off?

ataraxia Mon 18-Mar-13 22:12:31

What can I do about worry lines?

happymuddyboys Mon 18-Mar-13 22:15:01

Is Botox rat poison?

Iggity Mon 18-Mar-13 23:31:12

Can a product actually change/improve the skin or does it just make it look a bit better temporarily?

EllenParsons Tue 19-Mar-13 00:49:39

I'm 26 and starting to get faint lines on the outside corners of my eyes and I am really scared of ending up with crows feet! What can I do or use to prevent this happening or at least delay it as long as possible?

stephgr Tue 19-Mar-13 01:36:47

can eating so-called "superfoods" really improve skin's appearance and if so which ones should we be eating most of?

utopian99 Tue 19-Mar-13 01:47:02

I'm 30 and have recently (3 months ago), given birth to our first child. While my overall figure is now more or less back to what it was, the skin over my stomach still needs to re-tighten somewhat. What's the strongest product you know to achieve this?

iwantavuvezela Tue 19-Mar-13 10:53:25

It worries me when I hear "fighting" the signs of ageing, as it makes it sound like its a battle i need to go into!
I would like to meet ageing in a more relaxed way, and would like to know if creams that are targeted as for ageing; or products in this range, really do work or that you would recommend.

hellsbells76 Tue 19-Mar-13 11:22:37

Of course they don't work. Ageing is a normal process and smearing overpriced gunk on your skin won't stop that. Of course, if people realised that then Boots wouldn't make any money out of flogging said overpriced gunk by exploiting women's insecurities would they? Jesus, this is a depressing thread.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 19-Mar-13 12:30:16

What hellsbells said. I always thought Mumsnet was populated by strong independent women capable of intelligent thought and not following the crowd.

This thread makes intensely depressing reading. Get a grip people!

hellsbells76 Tue 19-Mar-13 12:57:50

Bet we don't win the voucher or get quoted on the show though grin Look everyone, if you're really that bothered about lines, bung a bit of Anusol on them, it'll have the same short term 'lifting' effect as any of these hideously expensive creams. But maybe examine why you care so much? When did it become so abhorrent to let the years you've lived and loved and experienced show on your face? Twentysomethings on here worried about when they 'should' start using these creams, like there's a law or something. It makes me want to cry.

Haberdashery Tue 19-Mar-13 13:05:55

Does being intelligent and independent mean you automatically have no interest in how you look and cannot take an interest in beauty products? Ageing is indeed a normal process but some kinds of skin products can make you look better and feel better in your skin (I am talking physically although it's certain possible to feel an emotional boost too). I don't think a fiver spent on moisturiser now and again (my personal budget, YMMV) is exactly wanton extravagance for something that makes my skin feel softer and nicer and hopefully improves my appearance a little (because, regardless of my IQ or lack of it, I quite like looking nice). Wrinkles are inevitable but that doesn't mean I actively want them, regardless of how natural they are.

Furthermore people posting a question can win a £50 Boots voucher (which need not be spent on skincare) if you post a question. Do you think some people might quite like one of those and be prepared to ask a question (which takes very little time and no money) regardless of whether or not they know the answer already?

I don't, by the way, consider myself either insecure or deluded. However I would welcome fifty quid to spend on a treat for myself and quite like beauty products. They're fun.

I think anyone who thinks this thread is intensely depressing is probably taking it far too seriously.

Haberdashery Tue 19-Mar-13 13:06:46

I really ought to make use of preview. Sorry about slight incoherence.

hellsbells76 Tue 19-Mar-13 13:15:02

What's wrong with wrinkles though? Seriously? I just don't get the horror of them. I think they look a face look much more interesting, personally. And yes I do find it depressing that after all the advances we've made in women's rights, women are still wholesale buying into the myth that youth=beauty, and that 'beauty', however defined, even matters, and that even if it does, it can be obtained by spending money on gunk. Beauty products are 'fun'? Crikey. If I had to compile my top 100 list of 'fun things', I really don't think some slimy overpriced crap in a jar would be up there grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now