Boots Feel Good Forum: body confidence – listen and tell us what you think – voucher to be won

(74 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 11-Mar-13 09:31:16

The Boots Feel Good Forum about body confidence is on air tonight (Sunday) - 7pm on Real Radio and 8pm on Smooth Radio.

Experts personal trainer Matt Roberts and Psychologist Dr Linda Papadopoulos will be answering MNers questions about diet, exercise and feeling body confident see what Qs MNers have posted below.

Please listen to the show and tell us what you think on this thread everyone who posts will be entered into a prize draw to win a £50 Boots voucher.

Thanks
MNHQ

Please note that if you post a comment on this thread, your comments may also be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname won't appear.

The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 21-Mar-13 17:18:22

Hi all - just to let you know that Matt Roberts and Nutritionist Vicky Pennington have answered some of your questions that they didn't have time to cover in the show on this thread - please do go over there and have a read!

i've had a time when there was a shortage on the meds i have to take and low behold boots had them all - i went to 3 local chemists and they hadn't been allowed to order for ages and i was told that i would have to go to boots as they had a stranglehold whereby they were supplied first.

bit of a fucker for an elderly person who lives in a village and has no boots within 10miles.

Jins Tue 19-Mar-13 15:44:39

theoriginalandbestrookie

Although I do agree with a lot of the comments about Boots and their advertising approach my objection to the company is predominantly financial

Once upon a time we had a lovely little independent pharmacy. I could nip in and buy a pack of antihistamines for 99p or a fluconazole tablet for £3.99. Boots bought them out. Look at some examples of Boots pricing. (I've used www.chemistdirect.co.uk as an example)

Canesten Oral Tablet £10.99
Boots Own £9.99
Generic - 59p

Benadryl 7 pack - £3.69
Boots own cetirizine - £2.99
Generic - 99p

Nurofen migraine 12 pack - £2.90
Boots own -£3.09!!!!!!!
Generic - 95p

If you're happy to pay over the odds for everything in the store then that's fine but I'm not. I resent Boots for what they've done locally and I'm not alone

And that's why I wouldn't wipe my arse on a Boots voucher smile

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 19-Mar-13 14:32:55

Thanks to everyone who posted here and to those who were callers on the show - if you missed it on Sunday, you can listen again to the best bits here.

NinaNannar - thanks for asking about make up - we're going to be covering that in a few weeks along with all things beauty-related.

The full schedule of what's coming up on the show can be found here

The winner of the prize draw for posting on this thread is...
whattodoo
Congratulations - you've won a £50 Boots voucher - I'll PM you to get your details

Oddsod Sat 16-Mar-13 10:42:34

Hi I find that at age 40 I'm suddenly more concerned with my appearance than at any other time of my life. I am constantly trying to keep greys and wrinkles user control as well as coming to terms with a childbirth ravaged body. This makes me feel ashamed for being so superficial, I've always been low maintenance. My bigger concern though is how all this will appear to my daughter. I want her to learn to feel comfortable in her skin and to feel confident in her natural beauty but how can I teach this when I'm always watching what I eat and buying new lotions and potions to magically transform the way I look?

NinaNannar Fri 15-Mar-13 17:23:19

you are ! ask away.

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 15-Mar-13 16:51:50

I'm really confused about the purpose of this thread now. I thought I was asking questions for Matt Roberts or Linda Papadopolous to answer with a chance of winning a Boots voucher.

Oh and anyone who doesn't want their Boots voucher if they win it - send it to me I'll happily take it. I promise to spend it on non beautifying items such as toothpaste, shampoo and vitamin tablets - wait could they be seen as trying to improve your body and therefore not acceptable? confused

NinaNannar Fri 15-Mar-13 14:35:42

Tbh you don't need Boots to exercise. #puzzled.

Where's the make up?

NinaNannar Fri 15-Mar-13 14:34:56

You don't need money to exercise. You need time. And childcare. And no don't tell us you can exercise with your kids. You can't.

yeah i'm guessing my advice on not reading magazines and ignoring marketing designed to make you feel shit will be winning no prizes either icbineg. somehow body confidence and commercial companies that sell cosmetics and diet pills don't mix.

ICBINEG Fri 15-Mar-13 12:58:52

hmm this is all very well and fluffy but I some how doubt that the best comment on this thread

Jins "I wouldn't wipe my arse on a Boots voucher" is going to make the cut.

Which is a shame because surely the best way to improve your body image is to disengage from the advertising perpetrated by companies like Boots which is specifically designed to undermine your body confidence in order to sell you things you don't need.

Hi, i just spoke with the team there, i have to say i am left feeling somewhat inspired so thank you very much, they had a lot of realy great advice, i was a little bit nervous as i am not normally the type to join on on such a large way but i am realy glad i did, i just wanted to say thank you xoxox They had lots of really helpful advice that can easily be put to use without joining a gym (sever lack of time prevents that in my case) however having a treadmill at home and not using it is insane so i have now commited myself to 30 minutes each evening once the kids are in bed (no excuses) i put this to the test last night about 7:30 and kept it to nice easy pace no sprinting x this morning i am feeling muscles move that i forgot i even had x did some squats this morning only took 10 minutes, all my time is given to everyone else work/kids/home Linda was correct it's okay for me to take those few minutes for myself the house won't fall down :-D

I will keep popping back onto the forum just to remind myself that it's okay to steal a little time in the day i already feel so much better for just starting which i don't think i would have without that phone call yesterday, Matt's "just do it and stop making excuses" approach was spot on! i only wish i had a Matt at home to remind me once or twice a week lol

All in all despite being nervous this has turned into a really positive experience for me (and just what i needed too)

NinaNannar Fri 15-Mar-13 06:33:42

BOOTS

Lets do a make up thing. Never mind blinking kids

Beaverfeaver Thu 14-Mar-13 23:55:16

When there's music playing - dance

When there's no music playing - turn it on and dance

smile

NinaNannar Thu 14-Mar-13 21:33:00

You can love your body.
How is your wardrobe ?

theoriginalandbestrookie Thu 14-Mar-13 20:57:30

Hi, I have a BMI of 25 but a really high body fat percentage of 36% even though I exercise regularily and have been seeing a personal trainer for specific routines . I'm 42, is there anything I can do to reduce body fat?

Oh and failing that is there anyway I could just learn to like my body. I'm 42 and really don't want to be worried about what I weigh for the rest of my life.

ClaraOswinOswald Thu 14-Mar-13 18:48:12

Just had a nice chat with Kate, Linda and Matt (first name terms- get me!). Will be tuning in on Sunday, sounds like a good show.
smile

NinaNannar Thu 14-Mar-13 15:10:33

and if anyone else "celebrate curves" i will shoot them

over a size 14 its just fat - stop kidding yourself

NinaNannar Thu 14-Mar-13 15:08:04

also disagree re scales. ( i dont read magazines so that it irrelevant)

weigh yourself once a week - have an upper limit ( mine is 10.7) whereby you think " hey porker - fewer pies"

head in the sand is a disaster

NinaNannar Thu 14-Mar-13 15:02:57

choccy i disagree - i am MUCH happier as a size 10 - 12 - I dont have to cover any fat bits, I canbear to be photographed.

LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE - not half a life.

NinaNannar Thu 14-Mar-13 15:02:13

its almost impossible to do this if you have small children - I could only control my weight then through eating less - I can only really exercise as much as I like once my oldest could be left in charge with the younger kids.

I now exercise 4 times a week - but the gym is a short walk away. I cant imagine if you live in a rural area apart from walking a dog and IME most dog walkers are pretty fat.

I would exhort ANYONE fat and unhappy to take the bull by the horns and think of reasons they CAN be the right weight for their height, not to make excuses.

I try to low carb all week and avoid booze.

weeekends are more free but even so I try to think of a main meal and a snack rahter than looking at making your meal the same size as your husbands grin. Booze is a killer. thats is masses of calories - if you want a " drink" to welcome the evening have a lo cal tonic with masses of lemon and a white spirit

choccyp1g Thu 14-Mar-13 11:57:18

My best tip is to get older; there comes a point when you realise that the way you look is completely irrelevant to your health and happiness.

oh i thought of another which helped me.

get someone who works in a magazine house to look at photos with you and show you - look this is where her nipple was, you can see this patch here has been airbrushed and this is where they've moved it to and this is the natural curve of her breast that they've had to shave off and resposition to here etc etc etc.

a boyfriend's brother did this for a living and he would talk me through images. never looked at them the same again as i can now 'see' what they've done.

i still hate my breasts but at least i compare them to normal women's breasts unfavourably rather than comparing them to made up images of breasts that bear no relation to reality.

StillStuck Wed 13-Mar-13 17:30:09

My body confidence tip: spend as little time as possible reading glossy magazines/ on the scales/ looking in the mirror!

It sounds trite but I really mean it. I don't have a perfect body at all, but I am too busy playing with my son/reading books/ meeting friends / working to care (most of the time...)

As a former anorexic I am frustrated by the myth that magazines cause this, as in my experience it was triggered by an enormous trauma that led to me feeling that my life was out of control, but, that said, I do think the airbrushed perfection they portray makes normal women feel rubbis h ab

flamingtoaster Wed 13-Mar-13 15:10:29

Don't fall into the trap of thinking the shape you think your body is is the reason for other problems in your life and you can't solve those problems until you have the perfect body image. Start tackling the other problems!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now