Please post your Q about child health - how to give them a balanced diet, skin conditions, concentration levels - whatever it may be! More MNers needed to take part in the new Boots Feel Good Forum radio show - prize to be won!

(92 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Feb-13 11:27:05

Hello. We're very pleased to be announcing the Boots Feel Good Forum, which airs on Real and Smooth Radio on Sunday night (and will be available to listen to on MN afterwards). The show will be presented by Kate Thornton (mum to DS aged 4), and we hope will feature Mumsnetters live on air! You can find out more info about the show here.

What we'd really like you to do now is contribute to this week's show by posting questions, tips and comments here.

This week we're talking about how to make your family feel good with Supernanny Jo Frost and Dr Ellie Cannon, helping you deal with all the challenges that raising a child might involve. We will provide tips on improving children's concentration levels, help with skin conditions such as eczema and discuss how to deal with the common battlegrounds with younger ones, such as mealtimes, dressing and sleeping to create a harmonious family life.

We'd like MNers to:

~ Share your top tips on how you keep your kids happy and healthy, from healthy diets tips to getting them to behave at mealtime.
~ Post a question for the experts - is there anything you'd love to know about? Something Jo frost and Dr Ellie Cannon can help you with?

Special call for questions about diet, skin conditions or concentration levels in children - if you have a query, please post here.

But remember - even if you don't want to take part in the show, we'd like to hear your thoughts and top tips on making your family feel good on this thread. Everyone who posts a comment will be entered into a prize draw to win a £50 Boots voucher.

Please tune in to the show - it's on Real Radio from 7-8pm and Smooth Radio from 8-9pm every Sunday and will feature MNers on the airwaves, as well as great expert advice and a few good tunes! There'll be a live listen-along thread on Sunday night so please listen in and post to let us know what you think. The show will also be available to listen to on MN if you can't catch the live show.

Please note that if you post a comment on this thread, it may be read out on the show, or used in an article which MNHQ will write, along with your MN nickname. Your comments may also be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname won't appear.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents

JedwardScissorhands Sun 03-Mar-13 18:44:09

Eczema - we have aveeno on prescription, and i find it is much better than the very greasy emollients. I put some on to my 2 year old before a bath, which has really helped stop the skin from drying out.

xigris Sun 03-Mar-13 19:46:19

My DS1 is 6. He's clever, articulate, funny and kind BUT he does not listen!! I often have to repeat myself about 5 times before he'll do as I've asked and sometimes I end up yelling because time's of the essence, for example before the school run. I hate shouting at him but sometimes it's the only way to get through to him! I've tried reward charts with limited success. DS2 is now starting to pick up on this and had also developed 'selective hearing'. I know there's not a physical cause such as glue ear because believe me, both boys can hear the lid of the biscuit jar from the other end of the house!

Trinski Sun 03-Mar-13 22:26:05

my tip: before your baby is due, tell your friends that once it is here they are to invite themselves round and not wait for an invite. In those first few weeks I didn't feel in a fit state to invite anyone round but greatly appreciated the daily appearance of a friend with some food and a spare pair of arms. you can always tell them to go away again.

my questions:
is there any research into how increased screen time is affecting concentration, at various ages?
is there a recommended minimum age before children should be allowed on smartphones, laptops etc?
how can I encourage my child to make the effort to do more wholesome activities and not take the path of least resistance which is the computer?
how can i stop my child playing 18 games when all his friends do?

TallulahTwinkle Mon 04-Mar-13 07:41:09

Not read whole thread so apologies if already been asked.

My ds, 14, has turned vegetarian. He eats beans, lentils and cheese, not so keen on nuts and seeds.

Should I be giving him a supplement? Am concerned about the lack of protein and iron.

Thanks

MrsMarigold Mon 04-Mar-13 11:35:39

Please could we have some guidance on what constitutes a portion of vegetables for a toddler - I serve veggies at every meal (including lots of "hidden" veg) but never know if the hidden veg is actually enough to be counted.

mercibucket Mon 04-Mar-13 14:50:13

i've noticed a big difference in energy levels in my teen since using iron supplements - wish id started years earlier. so thats my top tip for lethargic teens. i use floradix but theres other brands out there

aristocat Mon 04-Mar-13 19:03:36

Any advice for my DSs molluscum contagiosum please?

They are like small white/creamy bumps on his arms, the GP told us it might take 2 yrs to go away. It has been 12 months and he still has them although they do not bother him at all.
He did suffer terribly with eczema when he was younger (almost 11yo now) is there a connection?

missorinoco Mon 04-Mar-13 21:25:58

I need tips on how to spend regular individual time with my children whilst they are small. They all have individual time at bedtime with stories, but my middle child mainly misses out. She is pre school, as is the youngest, and the only time alone is when he naps during the day. It feels like squeezed in make do time. The littlest is too young to be expected to do anything alone (that I allow him to do, he is just two).

I can factor in occasional special time with one parent, e.g. when the others are at parties, but that's about it. Am I being unrealistic here, or is there a better way to do it?

MissRee Wed 06-Mar-13 12:27:41

Do I recall you saying this would be available online to "Listen Again"? If so, where can we find it please?

CoffeeGoneColdAgain Wed 06-Mar-13 15:04:08

Wowsers, Just spoken to Kate Thornton, Jo frost and Dr Ellie Cannon! Fabulous, Thanks ever so for the advice. smile

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 07-Mar-13 10:48:56

MissRee - yes, if you can't catch the show on air on Sunday night then the podcast will be available to listen to from Monday onwards here

MissRee Thu 07-Mar-13 12:16:24

Excellent - thank you!

rockinhippy Fri 08-Mar-13 14:08:01

Why is there sugar-free, but no real "additive" free versions of children's medicines such as Calpol etc. even antibiotics.

This has proven to be a nightmare for us as we realised very early on, that my DDs "Eczema" & tummy trouble was an intolerance to chemical food additives - ie Azo Dye, Benzoate Preservatives & all artificial sweeteners, initially passed through BM.

She had suffered a few nasty illnesses in her time & now has a chronic pain condition to deal with, but up until more recently when we can give her adult drugs or at least doctor them - ei empty ant Bs out of the coloured capsules & mix with honey - there has been NOTHING we could safely give her

Why is this still an issue, when intolerance to these chemicals is not actually that uncommon ??

Thank You smile

DD2 is 3yo, she has severe eczema. We are currently on dermasilk clothing, thick ointments, dermol, high steriod ointments (week on, week off) and bactoban. She also has oral antibiotics when its very bad. She also has antihistamines.

She sees a dermatology nurse but her flair ups are constant. Shes had allergy testing but nothing came up. Her skins a mess, she struggles with sleep because of it and with her starting school next year we really need to get on top of it. Is there anything we can do to break the cycle?

ProphetOfDoom Sat 09-Mar-13 19:11:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 10-Mar-13 18:41:55

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread - please do tune in to the show tonight - on Real Radio (7-8pm) or Smooth Radio (8-9pm) - and post what you think on the listen along thread here

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 14-Mar-13 17:30:03

We're pleased to announce the winner of the prize draw for a £50 Boots voucher is JS06 - congratulations! I'll PM you to get your details

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now