PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway this week: Spider Sandwiches by Claire Freedman and Sue Hendra - CLOSED

(25 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 07-Nov-13 15:19:36

This collaboration between Alien's Loves Underpants author Claire Freedman and Barry the Fish creator Sue Hendra will delight and horrify in equal measures. This is the story about Max who has a rather strange appetite: Bug burgers with snail trail sauce and cockroach curry anyone? If your kids love all things disgusting, then apply for a free copy of Spider Sandwiches and don't forget to come back to this thread and let us know what they think.

cornflakegirl Fri 08-Nov-13 11:12:18

This looks great - I love the cover illustration!

mummyto2boys01 Thu 14-Nov-13 00:47:44

Have applied for a copy. This looks fantastic - I think the front cover will get my little boy interested right away, but I'm sure the story itself will engage him too. Would love to see how he reacts to it.

weemouse Thu 14-Nov-13 15:29:18

I may have applied past the ending hour! Hope not! The title alone is fantastically gruesome, just the kind of thing we like in our house!

Blatherskite Thu 14-Nov-13 18:39:34

I applied and then noticed that the closing time was 10am! Opps blush

I got an email saying I'd been lucky enough to receive a copy but haven't as yet, has anyone else?.

katb1973 Mon 02-Dec-13 22:23:28

Me too....just found the thread to see if anybody else had received there's.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 03-Dec-13 09:48:40

We've just been informed by Bloomsbury that the books were sent out yesterday - horrah. Don't forget to come back and let us know what your dcs think when you've had chance to read.

poppy990 Tue 03-Dec-13 21:49:59

We were lucky enough to win a copy - had already borrowed it from the library and it's just as great as Sue Hendra's other books

henryscatoscar Thu 05-Dec-13 10:09:55

Spider Sandwiches:-good quality book with great illustrations. Our son loves the aliens in underpants and barry the fish with fish fingers which are from the same people. A good bed time book smile

aftereight Thu 05-Dec-13 13:12:53

Just received the book, and have read it myself as I want to give it to my DS as a Christmas present.
The cover illustration is great, with a 3D sparkly web and colourful green monster.
Inside, the illustrations are fantastic, with all sorts of creepy crawlies and goo depicted in an engagingly colourful and appealing way. There is lots to talk about on each page.
The story itself is in rhyme, and tells the tale of a friendly monster who loves eating lots of yucky stuff. The sort of yucky stuff which I imagine will have my 5 yr old shrieking with laughter! I definitely envisage that this will be a keep-it-next-to-the-bed book, rather than it disappearing onto the bookshelf.
I actually prefer this to Aliens Love Underpants, by the same author.

cavylover Thu 05-Dec-13 17:35:08

Entertaining book about a cute green monster and what he likes to eat, each choice sounding more gruesome. Young children will love all the yucky meals the monster eats and the excellent colourful and funny illustrations that go with the story! Loved the bit at the end when the monster draws the line at "green sprout soup!"

UniS Fri 06-Dec-13 22:50:36

DS aged 7 read Spider Sandwiches first, then I did. I thought DS would find it a bit young, so I said up front that it wasn't a book for him, but for his 4 year old cousin. DS loved it and wants to keep it for himself....

Ds's first comment was , "is it for me, can I read it now".
DS liked the pictures and the gross food ideas, he thought it was a funny book. He didn't pick up on the other monsters eating "normal " food,he thought all monsters liked gross stuff. DS thought it was funny that Max hated sprouts as DS quite likes them. He's read it at least twice, the second time being his free choice in a spare moment before school.

I think this is a good looking book, I like the glittery embossing on the cover and the quality of the illustrations, particularly the bold use of black and colour. Its fun to read aloud with some quirky rhymes. DS mangles it when he reads it out as he reads the meaning rather than the words and doesn't "get " the rhythm of the poetry. I was surprised that DS liked it so much he wanted to keep it, but I think that is a pretty good recommendation from a 7 year old.

The book will eventually get passed on to the Cousin, if only because my SiL HATES sprouts, just like Max.

merliquin Sat 07-Dec-13 00:18:54

My son (4) loves this book - yesterday we read it twice in a row (an instant hit), today three times and tomorrow, I've been informed, it will be four times! My daughter (1.5) also enjoys the story and actually sits still and is interested all the way through - I think she enjoys her brother's reactions to Max's yucky favourite foods. She has also learnt to say 'burp' now - surely a bonus.

I'd recommend this book highly.

sealight123 Sun 08-Dec-13 17:18:28

My book arrived the other day and, I was going to save it for christmas, but my daughter caught me trying to smuggle it upstairs. I have had to read it to her 2 nights in a row and each night I have had to read it twice. She LOVES monsters and spiders and creepy crawlies. It is beautifully illustrated, very bold and my daughter adores the glittery cover too smile I am considering buying Aliens Love Underpants as i'm pretty positive my daughter will love that too! smile

ToysRLuv Sun 08-Dec-13 20:40:18

Have posted a review on the review page, but it is, indeed, a funny book. Suitably gross for a 4 year old boy.

cornflakegirl Mon 09-Dec-13 12:24:48

We liked this book, the illustrations are lovely and the rhyme scheme works well. DS (4) particularly liked the bit where the monster bashes a hole in his door running away from sprout soup.

Lovely book!!! got three boys so this was right up their street. Thank you!!!!. Would def recommend this book.

jestermarc Mon 09-Dec-13 14:21:26

Great book, funny and delightful. Illustrations that bring even the most unlikely things to life. Was lucky enough to win one of the copies and have squirrelled it away as an extra Christmas present for my DS.

janeyh31 Mon 09-Dec-13 21:24:57

Lovely book and will make a lovely Christmas present for my 4 year old daughter. The pictures are bright and colourful and the story is very entertaining she is going to love it. Thank you so much for our copy :0)

Yasmin1 Mon 16-Dec-13 17:24:08

Read this to my four year old daughter and she loved it! She found the story and illustration fascinating. Didn't quite understand why anyone would want to eat in her words "gusting things!" (disgusting). The drawings were great, there was a lot of details that keeps the young very intrigued and ask many questions. Great book! Thanks

safaristar Tue 17-Dec-13 17:19:32

Both my two year old girl and six year old boy enjoyed this book. The subject matter and illustrations of cockroach curries, and slug smoothies and the like really captured their imagination, and they accompanied the storytelling with many 'yucks' and 'disgusting' comments and funny faces pulled to show their horror! The illustrations are well done and help to bring the book to life, but I did find it quite hard to read out loud - the words didn't roll off the tongue and flow as well as they could have.

Firewall Sat 28-Dec-13 18:59:04

Lovely bright bold book. Lovely illustrations and nicely written but my 3yr old didn't like the subject matter with spiders etc but I'm sure that will change with age!

Catiinthehat Tue 07-Jan-14 19:43:44

We loved this book! Funny, vibrant and very uplifting! Fun book to read and share.

starlight36 Sat 08-Feb-14 12:54:28

We didn't get this in the giveaway but DD 3 chose this today from the library. She loves the gory descriptions of different foods and the colourful drawings. I'm not sure she gets the final joke yet but laughs at everything else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now