PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

Apply for free copy: Angela Nicely by David Roberts

(16 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 25-Jul-13 15:37:32

Award winning author David Roberts introduces Angela Nicely who is making a leap out of the pages of Dirty Bertie to her own brand new series which is perfect for all children aged 6-8. Fans of Dirty Bertie will already have met Angela. Those who have yet to meet her will find that beneath her 'butter wouldn't melt' appearance there lies perfect mischief. Read an extract and apply for a free copy. Then come back and let us know what your dcs think.

lorka Thu 25-Jul-13 20:16:48

My daughter would love this. Dirty Bertie popular in our house already! smile

SisterMatic Fri 09-Aug-13 10:26:01

My copy arrived today thank you so much, it was a nice surprise!

AugustRose Fri 09-Aug-13 19:06:33

We got one too and didn't know, thank you.

cavylover Sat 10-Aug-13 15:16:39

"Angela Nicely" is a great laugh out loud book with different stories featuring Angela and a host of other characters very well written with excellent illustrations primarily for young girls aged around 6-8 with similarities to the "Naughtiest Girl" books by Enid Blyton. The characters have surnames too which suit their personalities - excellent reading!

ninaprettyballerina Sat 10-Aug-13 22:16:48

Got my copy too. Thanks so much!

sabretiggr Sat 10-Aug-13 22:38:28

thank you for my copy! Have started reading it with my sons. Despite the overly pink cover - they do love the dirty bertie books so were happy to give this a go. We love that there are 3 stories in the one book. We have read the first story together already. My boys are aged 7 and 9 and so would be able to read it alone - but it also made for a nice read together as a bedtime story. If the cover was a little less pink then there is no reason why the stories themselves wouldn't appeal to boys as my boys loved the story.

I too read it with my two sons who also really enjoyed it. The book made all three of us really laugh in places, and I think it has been well written. I also agree that if the cover wasn't so pink that there is no reason why it shouldn't make good reading for boys too. All in all, a lovely book! Thank you Mumsnet

aristocat Wed 14-Aug-13 15:14:31

Our copy arrived a few days ago and my DD has loved this book. In her words ..... it is interesting, funny and one to re-read.
Thank you so much smile

NoWomanNoCry Sat 17-Aug-13 21:49:09

Thank you for the copy. As my girls are just a bit younger than the intended age, I read the book to them myself. They really enjoyed the different stories and found them very funny. Overall a very good book!

lorka Sun 18-Aug-13 01:23:40

Thank you so much for our copy - it was a nice surprise. Finished reading this to my daughter (7yrs) tonight. She loved it and giggled a lot throughout. She liked the silly names and the illustrations. It certainly was a page turner and she is desperate to read another Angela Nicely book.
gringrin

buildingmycorestrength Wed 21-Aug-13 15:18:32

Thank you for the book! We really enjoyed this book. It reminded me of 'Horrid Henry' (which is a good thing). Not necessarily a book for girls, so I agree the cover is a bit too pink.

I was a little bit hmm that two of the stories were sort of about 'girl's themes' - Angela trying to be a model, and her mum wanting to go for a spa day because she's worried about getting fat. I suppose Horrid Henry has both these stories as well...it just seemed like maybe the author could be a little more gender-neutral in the choice of language on these stories, maybe make it a little more about health than weight, for instance. Maybe I'm being professionally offended but I think these are sensitive issues.

Overall, funny, and a likeably naughty protagonist. grin.

MunchkinMama Wed 28-Aug-13 00:03:33

Thanks for our copy, a total surprise! I've been reading it to my 3.5 year old (I know it's intended for older children) and she is riveted by Angela though I'm not sure she understands it all and certainly not the humour yet. I was looking for stories with female protagonists as it's something I missed as a child and my daughter loves older children and is very mature herself. This is great and funny too. I love Angela's innocence which has been captured well in the stories.

AugustRose Thu 29-Aug-13 17:32:20

Thank you for our copy, I read it with my 6 year old daughter. I was expecting a bit more mischief to be honest and I wasn't keen on the last story about going to the spa. DD didn't seem as engaged as she has been with other books (she loves Amelia Jane and Horrid Henry) but did say she enjoyed the stories, I am sure she will re-read them many times.

Thanks for our copy. I think it looks good. I just have to persuade my my 6 year old DS that we can try it as he is allergic to anything pink. It's a shame as I am always on the lookout for books with strong female main characters as I don't want either my son or daughter (3yo) thinking girls/women have to spend their lives as secondary characters. My son enjoys them just as much as those with strong male main characters when we find them as long as the book isn't aimed too obviously at girls. The Anna Hibiscus series by Atinuke are some of our favourite books, for example. I think I'll have to hide Angela Nicely inside another book so he doesn't see the cover.

bettybooboo1 Wed 04-Sep-13 08:13:13

My 6 year old daughter wanted to write her own review: "thank you for this book I liked the bit where Angela hoovered up the head teachers new hair style.The bit when Angela was a model dressed up as a mermaid and the girls and Tiffany were holding her and Tiffany had the tail in her face was funny. Miss bullock was being really greedy which was quite naughty of her."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now