PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

Until You're Mine by Samantha Hayes - Apply for free copy

(28 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 20-Jun-13 10:46:57

If you're a fan of psychological thrillers then you'll be interested to hear about this week's book giveaway. Until You're Mine is described by Psychologies magazine as ''or any fans of Gone Girl, this startling novel (acquired by the publisher of Before I Go To Sleep) is a must read... a tense and thrilling story not to be missed'. If you fancy a gripping read, apply for one of 50 free copies and come back to review or discuss the book here.

releasethehounds Mon 16-Sep-13 12:52:46

Coming in really late on this thread as I've only just found it! GreenShadow -in answer to your question, when MN has sent out previous copies of books there has also been a reminder sent out in due course to review it. I have been waiting for a reminder for this book and have not received one, and life being what it is, it slipped my mind. I have always reviewed previous reads.

For what it's worth I really enjoyed this book and it kept me gripped throughout. I guessed towards the end that there would be a twist, but this didn't spoil my enjoyment of it, and it was very cleverly done. Not a book to read whilst you're pregnant but that's all out of the way for me! I would definitely recommend this easy read but I'll wait until my DDs are a bit older before I pass it on as parts are a little harrowing.

GreenShadow Mon 09-Sep-13 18:20:22

Rather sad that 50 copies of the book were sent out totally free of charge to MNers, yet only 15 or so people have reviewed it as asked. Is this the normal sort of level of response?

Finally got round to reading this. It was really gripping and I didn't guess the twist which was refreshing as I usually do.

I felt the home life of the police officers was wrapped up too quickly, it felt rushed to fit in with the rest of the story and was an anti climax. But that's nit picking.

Clawdy Tue 16-Jul-13 21:40:46

This was a compulsive read,and I have to say I did not get the final twist,which was intriguing! I was unsure about the Zoe/Cecy situation,it seemed an unlikely scenario, but the rest of the story line had me gripped. Felt so sorry for the two little twins,though...sad

funmummy48 Mon 15-Jul-13 21:53:53

Have just finished reading this and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not usually into mystery/crime books but found this a really gripping read. All sorts of thoughts were racing through my head as to who the guilty party could be but when the culprit was revealed, I felt the need to re-read a couple of chapters just to see how my perception of them changed. I don't want to say too much on here as it would spoil the book for those that haven't read it yet but I thought it was well written and compelling!
Thanks for the free copy. I'm off to get myself another Samantha Hayes book now.

GreenShadow Mon 15-Jul-13 12:24:38

Just finished my copy and have mixed feelings about it.

I liked the story which succeeded in keeping the tension going to the end. The characters were reasonably plausible and you could sympathise with all of them as they told their story.

What I personally didn't like however, was the writing style. It grated on numerous occasions - if I notice the writing rather than just absorbing the story, I feel something isn't right.

Would I read more of Samantha Hayes books? Yes, I probably would, but I don't think I'd actively seek them out.

missmarplestmarymead Mon 15-Jul-13 08:38:44

I enjoyed this book, although I didn't really like the way the relationship was portrayed between the two police officers and found it quite hard to suspend my belief enough to accept the link between one of them and another character. (Don't want to say too much in case someone has yet to finish reading.)

hermancakedestroyer Thu 11-Jul-13 21:36:37

This really was a page-turner. I was gripped from the beginning and this really isn't usually my type of book! It was well written - you felt as if you were there living the story with the characters and the amazing twist at the end was totally unexpected!
Brilliant read and I look forward to reading more of Samantha Hayes' work smile

relaxedgirl Wed 10-Jul-13 22:11:14

Loved this book. Really gripped me. It would be a great holiday read. I loved the twist and hadn't guessed it. I did find that the two parts of it didn't gel together much - i.e. the story about police home life and that of the killer.Loved the last line- that will stick with me for a while. Thanks for the free book.

Read the first quarter of this in bed this morning... will be going to bed early tonight to keep reading! Great book so far, has me hooked from the beginning (am only a tiny bit pregnant so hopefully it won't give me nightmares!)

thriftychic Wed 10-Jul-13 20:22:04

fantastic ! loved this book , drew me in right away and kept me gripped . was really surprised by the twist . havent read gone girl so couldnt compare it to that but have read 2 other sam hayes books and liked this one the most . thanks for the free copy smile

lainiekazan Wed 10-Jul-13 11:27:06

Thanks for the book. Read it in two days.

Very good psychological thriller; I guessed the twist, but that didn't detract from the drama.

A good beach read.

creambun Tue 09-Jul-13 11:18:22

I loved this book and couldn't put it down! I've read Before I Go To Sleep and it reminded me of that - all very unsettling and you feel like you might sort of have an idea what's going on but you can never quite work it out! I loved all the plot twists and it's good to have a book which keeps you guessing right up until the end. I will certainly recommend to others. Thank you for sending me a copy. I'm going to have a look at some of the author's other books too.

SunshinePanda Sat 06-Jul-13 13:59:21

Once I started reading, I couldn't stop! For me, this book was a real page turner, with brilliant twists and turns. Certainly made me think of Gone Girl but it was different. Now I keep thinking about it. Maybe not the best book to read if you are pregnant! Will definitely recommend it to others and can't wait to read another book by this author. Would love to know what the rest of you think to the twists but don't want to give any spoilers away yet.

mindingalongtime Thu 04-Jul-13 16:07:38

Happy to send mine on to anyone who wants it, brilliant book!

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 04-Jul-13 10:51:39

Just went to pick up a mystery parcel from the delivery office that arrived last week and it is this book! Really pleased, and very surprised, as I didn't get an email from MNHQ!

relaxedgirl Wed 03-Jul-13 12:49:56

Got my copy at the weekend and will start it in the next few days once I am finished my current book. Thank you

missmarplestmarymead Wed 03-Jul-13 00:03:02

My copy has arrived. Thank you. Really looking forward to joining in the discussion.

SunshinePanda Tue 02-Jul-13 20:36:30

My copy has arrived. Just need to finish my current book first. Looking forward to reading it - thanks.

NoWomanNoCry Tue 02-Jul-13 09:48:14

Thank you for the copy. I read this book very quickly and it was amazing. Full of twists and a real page turner.
Can't stop thinking about it still now.

Received the book today! Thank you!

Starting it later.

mindingalongtime Sun 30-Jun-13 16:41:20

My copy arrived yesterday, I have just finished it, it was brilliant, I read it all in one go today on a lounger in the sun.

It was gripping, fast moving and with a twist that I didn't suspect at all.I think it was well written and can't wait to read more of Samantha's work.

Thank you for the free copy!

Clawdy Sat 29-Jun-13 15:11:28

Mine arrived today,thank you. Looks really intriguing.

funmummy48 Fri 28-Jun-13 18:47:23

My copy arrived today too. Can't wait to dive in and get started! Many thanks.

GreenShadow Fri 28-Jun-13 13:31:10

Thank you - my copy has just arrived. Will start it once I have finished my current book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now