PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: Invisible Girl by Kate Maryon

(64 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 16-May-13 12:59:22

Apply for one of 50 advance copies of Invisible Girl by Kate Maryon, due out in the shops on 6th June.

Invisible Girl tells the story of twelve year old Gabriella, who somehow slips through the cracks when she's caught between arguing parents and moving house. The city streets are no place for young girls but they're all she's got. For fans of Cathy Cassidy and Jacqueline Wilson, a stunning new novel from the author of SHINE, GLITTER, SEA OF STARS and A MILLION ANGELS.

Kate Maryon was inspired to write Invisible Girl after reading an article about children running away from home in the UK by Andy McCullough, who works for children's charity Railway Children. As part of the campaign with Mumsnet, Railway Children and Aviva are working with Kate Maryon to raise awareness of this issue and have secured 50 advance copies of the book to giveaway to Mumsnetters. Apply for one of 50 free advance copies of Invisible Girl, and PLEASE post your feedback on this thread. For every post on the thread Aviva will donate £2 to Railway Children. You are allowed to post up to three messages. Thanks

lottietiger Wed 12-Jun-13 18:55:34

I read this out loud to my son yesterday, its a tough subject but easy to read and therefore makes the subject matter or running away much easier to discuss. You really feel for Gabriella and what she goes through with her parents & subsequently living on the streets, all the while hoping for a happy ending. Although the book states for age 9+ i feel that it also has its place read to younger children. A thoroughly good read.. ps.. agree with others about the cover

Dianec67 Tue 25-Jun-13 09:15:06

Thank you for my copy of the book. I read it with my 11 year old son who enjoyed it. I thought as it was about a girl he might not relate to it but it gave us a opportunity to talk about the subject of children running away. My son has ADHD and diabetes so struggles with emotions sometimes and feeling 'different' . The emotions of feeling different from her peers came across well in Gabriella's story.It is a good way to start a discussion about factors that can lead to teens or pre-teens struggling to cope with issues in their lives. Recommended.

LaraMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 08-Jul-13 15:57:01

Kate Maryon has just completed a national tour to launch her book, Invisible Girl, where she visited schools and libraries, appearing at 33 events over 22 days. She has asked us to share the following with you.

Kate Maryon:

Hi Everyone,

My tour has gone brilliantly and I've had fantastic feedback from kids, teachers and librarians.

After each talk I'm left feeling so touched and moved by what the children share. In the space of an hour many of them reveal so much of their own sadness and frustration - telling me their own runaway tales - of which there are many! The teachers are mostly shocked - some following up with classroom talks around the difficult circumstances these children are living.

In one prep school in York a child disclosed to me that he frequently considers running away as an option because he is regularly beaten by his father for not being as bright as his sisters. I flagged this up to the school and they instantly put their child protection procedures into operation. So hopefully something will be done to protect him. In another school a 10 year old boy said that he ran away when he was 8 for an entire week and no one bothered to look for him - the teachers were astonished. Many of them are concerned that they never hear this kind of thing in class.

Many children feel that running away might be exciting and freeing. Once I've shared the dangers and pointed them toward safer options they all seem to get that it's not a sensible thing to do - which is a great thing.

I hope they take my talk into their lives with better knowledge of how to resource themselves and change the cycle of familial sadness/neglect/conflict.

ninaprettyballerina Fri 26-Jul-13 13:43:44

Whilst my children are too young to read or discuss the book (2&4) I found the book interesting, thought provoking and easy to read, and I see it as a very good discussion point for youngsters. Perhaps it leans slightly towards girls especially focussing on the closeness of G and G.
I'm pleased its been so well received as part of your tour and obviously touched children already

xxxlivelifexxx Sat 03-Aug-13 09:27:06

Thank you so much for my copy of this book.
I read this myself, fantastic read,easy to read, gripping, heart, eye opening,couldn't put down once started.
I know this was aimed at 9+ but I enjoyed this myself, shocking to think children go through what this girl goes through. In parts I wanted to just wrap her up and keep her safe. A real eye opener. I am saving this for my Daughter for when she is older, and I will definitely buy more of Kates books xx

DD1 (11) read the book alone, she said she didn't really think about people running away and being homeless before as its not something that has really come up in her life. She said she enjoyed the book and that it made her think more about issues outside our little village.

MaryBS Fri 09-Aug-13 12:21:49

I was really pleased to be given the opportunity that this book offered to raise running away with my daughter who is 13. The book itself, although I felt it raised the issue very well, seemed to sugar coat what might actually happen, and I felt that was a little worrying.

I think as a spring board for discussion the book serves a wonderful purpose. Dd was so horrified by the circumstances surrounding Gabriella going missing that we she couldn't read any more. It has allowed us to discuss things though and I think it's left her knowing that she can and must always find a trusted adult to talk to.

She also wants to help the children that are on the streets irl. I've suggested she researches what charity she'd like to help and do some fund raising and see if she can help raise awareness.

At nine I feel she's a bit young to help hands on iyswim?

I found this an interesting read but felt the author was holding back somewhat, there seemed to be so much more that could have been applied to Gabriella's story but I agree it would make a good basis for discussion.

It is a shame that the cover was not more appealable to both genders but I assumed it was a nod to the numerous mentions of Gabriella's doodles.

Dd is only 5 but I plan to hold onto it until the topic becomes relevant to us.

Thank you for the opportunity to read the book.

lottietiger Fri 09-Aug-13 22:48:54

We enjoyed this at home so I have now passed it on to my ten year old niece to read. Hopefully she will enjoy it to and and at least put the idea in her head that running awAy isn't as glamourous as it sometimes seems

popsocks Sat 10-Aug-13 07:24:00

My dd, 11, read this and found it hard to believe the attitude of her parents. It has lead to lots of discussion and we have also passed the book on to her school. I also think the book cover is decieving.

lolapops1 Sun 11-Aug-13 15:31:45

Wonderfully written story,very informative and moving. Think it's a must for all school libraries.
The cover does limit the reader though.

starlight36 Wed 14-Aug-13 14:13:47

A very clever book dealing with an important topic in an age-appropriate way. I read the book and was willing for a happy ending for Gabriella.

I applied for a copy to pass onto a friend's daughter (aged 11). Like other posters she was affected by both the selfishness of the parents and the scariness of living on the streets.

I've read the book and my 11 year old son has now finished it too. I thought it was well written in an easy enough way for children 10+ to understand.

It brought up some interesting discussions with my son. He said he has never thought about running away and couldn't see why anyone would before he read it. Now he knows why it could possibly happen but he found it hard to believe that she would have just gone off with a whole bunch of other runaways as he doesn't see how that could really happen. That they just "find" you.

Thank you for the book, I've now passed it to my sister and niece to read. It's a great way to bring up this topic that many people wouldn't really think about otherwise smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now