PLEASE NOTE: All Mumsnetters and Mumsnet Bloggers are welcome to post in this Talk topic but this isn't the place for promoting blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. If you do that here, we may well delete your posts. If you'd like to join the Mumsnet Bloggers Network please do apply: we'd love to look at your blog!

Someone called my blog boring!

(91 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Thu 29-Nov-12 22:52:25

He said that I had some quite good things to say, but it was a dull read. that maybe I should add some video or photos or decent links to make it more interesting, less boring and keep people returning.

I know it is, and have not posted much last couple of weeks as I think I am too boring, so this just makes me feel even more sad and crap at it!

WithTheDude Fri 30-Nov-12 15:59:42

Well said. <claps>

MmeLindor Fri 30-Nov-12 17:10:18

I missed all the fun.

It is something that we have discussed on MN often - the statement, 'all blogs are shit'.

Would you say, 'all films are shit', or 'all music is shit'?

There are good blogs and bad blogs. Blogs, like ThatDudeSanta's blog that I read for light relief and a laugh, blogs like Dilly's that I read cause she is funny and crafty, blogs like Pavlov's that I read because it is beautifully written. Some blogs I don't read very often, like MmeGuillotine's - not because I don't like it, but she blogs about a topic that simply doesn't interest me, no matter how well researched and written the post is.

If you like them, read them.

If you don't like the, don't read them.

But don't go and tell the blogger that they are shit. Why would anyone feel the need to do that? Does it make you feel better about your miserable little life to put someone else down?

(these comments are not directed at anyone in particular, but to those who make the sweeping statements about blogs)

MmeGuillotine Fri 30-Nov-12 17:47:42

YOU CALLED MY BLOG BORING. THAT'S IT, I'M GOING TO DELETE IT!

Seriously though, there's bazillions of different types of blogs out there. It's amazing to me that anyone still thinks that they are all peddling the same thing but there does seem to be this misconception that all blogs are basically of the day to day confessional sort and based around the minutiae of domestic life, whereas I think that comparatively few actually are.

Personally, I read very few blogs (Mme L will be relieved to hear that I've never read hers either - I'm sure it's excellent though!) and what I DO read tends to change all the time depending on what I'm currently into so maybe I'll go through a phase of reading house decor blogs or another time, I'll enjoy loads of city daily photo ones and at another I'll be all about the book review ones. That doesn't mean though that anything I choose not to read is rubbish, just that it's not to my taste. smile

MmeLindor Fri 30-Nov-12 18:55:05

oh, GOD. I am going to get hate mail from historical buffs who blame me for the end of MmeGuillotine.

I bet they all know historical and non-discoverable ways to murder me in my sleep.

<googles arsenic antidote>

MmeGuillotine Fri 30-Nov-12 20:19:07

Oh I dunno, I can think of at least one history blogger who'd be DELIGHTED to see me off the scene. ;)

If there's one thing we history types can be relied upon for, it's to think up delightfully inventive murder methods.

TeeHollyandTeeIvy Fri 30-Nov-12 20:27:30

Arsenic is too mundane for that lot, MmeL.

grin

MmeGuillotine Fri 30-Nov-12 20:34:09

True, I'm really into Cantharidin at the moment as my preferred means of disposal. ;)

exoticfruits Fri 30-Nov-12 22:03:33

I have taken the time to read a few-at random -and I haven't found anything to take my interest.

DillyTante Fri 30-Nov-12 22:22:32

Hmm interesting thread. To those people who are dismissing blogs. Why on earth do you think anyone is interested in what you have to say on Mumsnet, a social media platform.

The bizarre thing is that all those mumsnetters who dismiss blogs don't seem to get that blogosphere is pretty much like mumsnet and all threads on here. People talking about parenting, food, craft, politics, beauty, chatting. Hmmm those topics sound familiar.

I mean, I can understand people who never use the Internet saying that sort of thing, but you're on Mumsnet fgs, the home of trivial vs serious, parents and 'what's for dinner?' 'what shall I wear?' threads.

MmeGuillotine Fri 30-Nov-12 22:31:04

I love you, Dilly. smile

PavlovtheCat Fri 30-Nov-12 22:37:26

I am not going to post too much as I am otherwise engaged. But. dilly has said what I was thinking but not sure how to vocalise. Blogging is a social medium, like MN just a bit more able to express an entire view, thought, idea, theme, I don't know how to say it better.

exotic it's ok that you have found nothing interesting. But, did you post on those blogs to tell them it was boring? Would you tell them?

I think, I am upset because there was a random bloke from a random place telling me he thought my blog was boring, and how to improve, with no real input. I am ok with real critique, because it helps me learn, but, to be told it's boring with no real reason why, it's a bit soul destroying.

I say that, in actual fact, I have pondered this for most of the day while doing other boring shit, and, I really like what I do. So, I guess that is important. I have had a lot of visitors and not a huge proportion stay to follow, but actually there are enough following to make me feel it is worth carrying on.

I am learning more from blogging, and from reading blogs than I have for a while. It is preferable to me than reading a book, as I fall asleep after the first page of a book.

I am not going to let one comment in many many positives stop me from being me.

MmeLindor Fri 30-Nov-12 22:38:05

<joins in the Dilly love in>

PavlovtheCat Fri 30-Nov-12 22:39:30

>me too< grin she has a special place in my life though wink

MmeLindor Fri 30-Nov-12 22:42:50

Good for you, Pavlov.

You know what - I think that some so-called blog 'experts' have their own idea of what a blog should look like. It should have links, or videos, or photos, or two sidebars, or a blogroll, or none.

The great thing about blogging is that we get to decide how we want our blogs to look, and what we want to write about. There is not right and wrong, no 'best way' of blogging.

I like a picture on all my posts, Tee doesn't. It doesn't make my blog better or worse than Tee's blog, just different.

And anyone who gives unsolicited 'advice' on how to improve your blog by adding crap that you don't actually need, is best ignored.

DillyTante Fri 30-Nov-12 22:43:15

smile

Pavlov, if I learnt anything from my why do you blog enquiry it is that blogging is done more for the writer than the reader. As long as you are getting something from it that is all that matters.

katese11 Fri 30-Nov-12 22:57:18

Pavlov, I know people have asked you already but are you 100% sure it wasn't spam? I get a lot of comments along those lines (dissing me in a "constructive" way) but they get caught by the spam filter cause they have spammy-URLs in there somewhere. Not obvious at first!

And you aren't boring! People who say "Ooh, I hate bloggers" are boring cause they can't be arsed to say anything original!

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Sat 01-Dec-12 06:41:08

Pavlov I just saw what you said about followers. People may not be using the follow option on your blog but still reading it. I almost never follow blogs in that manner, but I add them to my RSS reader.

I think that's especially true of 'old school' blog readers like myself. The follow thing is relatively new and it never occurs to me to use it and I've been reading blogs for years.

exoticfruits Sat 01-Dec-12 07:41:36

It is very rare that anyone tells me that I am remotely interesting on MN - I get quite overcome when they do!
No of course I wouldn't tell a blogger they were boring- it would be most rude- I merely click off after about sentence 3.
I have one that I read where I get moved to comment - politely- but she is strictly controlling and only publishes me if I agree!

MmeLindor Sat 01-Dec-12 07:46:24

She only publishes if you agree? I hate that.

I used to moderate comments to weed out abusive ones, but learned recently that if you do this then you are in effect 'publishing' the comment and thus liable if the person has libeled someone.

I don't get many abusive comments, so decided to let all go on unmoderated.

I do moderate Jump! Mag comments, cause they are young girls and often include their full names or other identifying details.

DillyTante Sat 01-Dec-12 07:46:24

Well exotic you have already told us that most bloggers are boring so that isn't strictly true.

TheNebulousBoojum Sat 01-Dec-12 07:54:21

I only read blogs if they are on a subject that interests me. Including history. smile
But I agree with those that are saying that blogging is done to benefit the writer for the most part, and I'm a bit puzzled as to why you would blog if you are upset by criticism of the content. You are writing for an audience when you blog, and some of them may be judgemental.
Why wouldn't keeping a diary, a la Pepys fulfill the same function for you?
What is it about a blog that anyone can read, as opposed to writing down the details and your thoughts and ideas in a private book for yourself?
Blogs, like Christmas round Robin letters can be very tedious to a reader, which is why I'm selective.
The critic in the OP may have thought he was being helpful in suggesting ways that he would improve it with links and images, rather than being rude about the actual content.

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Sat 01-Dec-12 07:54:51

I have mine set up so first comment has to be approved. After that its automatic.

MmeLindor Sat 01-Dec-12 08:01:29

Pavlov's critic said her blog was a dull read, no it was also about the content.

And of course it hurts when someone says that.

I don't blog for me. I blog for my readers. I have lots to say and hope that some people will find it interesting. I spend quite some time researching what I am writing about, hence I post just a couple of times a week and not daily.

If you were to put a lot of effort into something and someone called it dull or boring, wouldn't you be upset by it?

At the same time, I do think that receiving critique is part of blogging. Tanya Byron said at the Blogfest, 'If you can't hack it, don't blog it', which I agree with.

Particularly those who write about their lives can find it difficult to accept critique because it feels very personal. I write more about politics so disagreement is less hurtful.

TheNebulousBoojum Sat 01-Dec-12 08:09:59

'If you were to put a lot of effort into something and someone called it dull or boring, wouldn't you be upset by it?'

I'm a teacher, it happens all the time and my response is always to say that I welcome suggestions for improvement and I mean it genuinely. So saying something is boring needs to be qualified It is boring because... and to improve it I need to.....
The children in school get this continuously, as do staff. Which is why the idea that constructive criticism is something nasty to be ignored is a difficult one for me to understand. If I felt like that, I wouldn't blog, I'd keep a diary as I said.

TheNebulousBoojum Sat 01-Dec-12 08:11:14

I'm not meaning to sound critical, I'm genuinely puzzled by the OP's response.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now