Shred advice needed pls! My knees!

(8 Posts)
Episode Mon 01-Apr-13 18:42:40

The star jump info is interesting as they do feel very uncomfortable for me to do so I may exchange those for high knees or something of the sort! I'm glad I'm not the only person who has had issue with the shred and knees, at least I know I'm not doing the excersises all wrong which is what you would assume would cause injury!

Episode Mon 01-Apr-13 18:39:59

I used to be super fit and an athlete in my hay day! A section with my eldest and my late teens early twenties spent drinking and smoking has deteriorated any fitness I once had! I've always been heavy, 11 stone size 8-10 so I'm not really watching my weight per se but I need to drop a dress size or two ideally! My fitness has been coming back quite rapidly and it's so frustrating to do half baked excersises when I can deal with the pain of going full force and see the results so quickly! It's killing any motivation I have, I guess I'm an all or nothing sort of person, plus I have a holiday booked in a month sad

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Mon 01-Apr-13 00:18:35

I've also been speaking to a physio lately. I've been using a treadmill at home stupidly without guidance. I thought there was nothing to it but apparently running in the same position all the time damages your alignment. Also running when you're very overweight is very bad for your joints. It can put up to five times your own weight on your knees and ankles. I've now got joint problems and have to do exercises to sort my legs out. In the meantime I'm staying off the treadmill and going swimming instead so I'm not putting the pressure on my joints. I sympathise, I'm overweight and the running really seemed to burn the weight off. Since I haven't been doing it I've actually put a couple of pounds back on. Running is great exercise if you're fit enough in the first place!

Dragonwoman Sun 31-Mar-13 23:34:57

I got a knee problem doing the shred level 1 and I'm only 9 stone. Spoke to the physio at work and he told me some people are just not made to do star jumps.
Basically some people don't have enough sideways 'give' in their ankles to absorb the outwards leg movement as it lands. So the sideways force is transferred to the knee and causes problems. Can be a problem for people with sturdy ankles... He phrased it alot more technically than that, but I think that is the gist of it.

Episode Sun 31-Mar-13 23:27:33

Thanks for your responses! My quads and legs in general are really strong and I'm pretty sure the knee problem is a result of my weight! They feel better so I'm going to try going again with it and see how I do with the knee braces! Fingers crossed

Can you manage squats and lunges, avoid anything involving impact? I would think that strengthening quads and surrounding muscles would be best before you start running, but even squats and lunges may be best avoided while your knee is painful. Is there a private osteopath or physio clinic near you? They could best advise...

HungryClocksGoBackFourSeconds Thu 28-Mar-13 23:22:06

Could you try something a bit lower impact till your knee gets better? Yoga and walking?

I really wouldn't be doing anything that puts a lot of pressure on the knee until it's better (this includes running). Being thin is not worth having lifelong pain and walking difficulties!!! Take it easy until it gets better, and if it isn't getting better go to GP.

Episode Thu 28-Mar-13 16:13:42

Started the shred about month ago! Stayed on level 1 for 14 days and my knee started going towards the end. Stupidly ignored it and moved through to level 2! After day 2 of level 2 and a really tough gym class my knee completely went and I haven't touched it in about 7 days! I'm itching to get going as I was just at the point of seeing results and I did a water work out, my knee still hurt and I didn't feel all that challenged.

Problem is I'm a heavy girl. I'm 15.5 stone but I have huge muscle mass! I'm a 16 in clothes and 5'8". Are there any other people of similar weight that can give me some knee advice or anyone else?

I want to start the c25k and have just nought some knee braces! Do I shred the shred and do some low impact running or do I do nothing and get my knee back on track completely? I feel like my new found fitness is slipping away everyday...

Please give me your words of experience/wisdom!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now