Sugar Addict Needs Help

(169 Posts)
TeaCupCrazy Mon 18-Mar-13 18:03:44

I am addicted to sugar...chocolate, biscuits, sweets anythings thats got sugar in it. I have always had a sweet tooth but since starting calorie counting i am seriously binging on the stuff. It got much worse when i quit smoking a month and half ago - i was substituting cigarettes with chocolate, cake etc but i managed to cut down again then bam!! i start a diet now and here i am stuffing my face with cake sad.

Any hints/tips on how to beat this would be much appreciated.

TeaCupCrazy Sat 23-Mar-13 21:02:31

EMUZ i really want fizzy water with lime now. Thats on my shopping list for tomorrow.

Bonners I hope its just a 24hr things and your ds is better soon. Well done for not turning to chocolate and biscuits though. Enjoy your steak pie and veg, sounds lovely - so do the muffins. And you needed them to keep your energy up today so don't worry about having lots of them. Have a good night.

Bonners Sun 24-Mar-13 17:23:55

d and v continues but no major lapse with sugar. Might get divorced though, I'm so crankyangry .

FrillyMilly Sun 24-Mar-13 21:11:10

Well I started the shred again. I went back to day one level one and I'm dying! I can't believe I managed 15 days of it. I won't be doing it tomorrow though as I go to netball.

Food wise I'm doing ok. Found alpro yoghurt which only has 2g of sugar compared to 6g in the natural yoghurt I usually get. I've made my lunch for tomorrow which consists of rocket, watercress, spinach, lettuce, 3 eggs, full fat mayo (when I use this a voice in my head screams NO!), spring onion and a little cheddar.

EMUZ Sun 24-Mar-13 22:12:23

Salad sounds good! I use total full fat Greek yoghurt

FrillyMilly Sun 24-Mar-13 22:24:56

I find Greek yoghurt too bitter. I use it in cooking though. I must admit I am quite shocked looking at sugar content of foods I has assumed where 'good'. When dieting in the past I used to have Special K or breakfast biscuits, fat free yoghurts or rice puddings, cereal bars, extra light mayo, those little probiotic drinks, fruit juices and smoothies and Tins of soup. Does everyone know these are all full or sugar? I feel a bit stupid that I'm only just really realising even though I've had half hearted attempts at low carbing.

TeaCupCrazy Sun 24-Mar-13 22:31:05

Bonners, hope your ds is better soon. I may heading for a divorce too, I am so snappy with Dh He just doesn't seem to understand how hard it is for me to give up sugar and to top it all he has 1 biscuit every day after tea. Only 1. And at the moment I am so jealous of his self control, its really winding me up envy.

Frilly, your lunch for tomorrow sounds great. I do like Alpro yoghurts actually, I never thought about checking the sugar content of them. I didn't manage shred today and i am kind of scared to start back up. Will start back at Level 1 tomorrow night.

I've done ok today. Been a bit hectic but i haven't given in to the cravings for sugar, even though i had to watch dc cover their pancakes with syrup this morning sad. I did have a pancake but they were made with only white flour (not great i know) and water and i had them with strawberries.

EMUZ Sun 24-Mar-13 22:34:27

I know, it is shocking
I found the total one bitter at first but now it tastes just creamy. Your taste buds will adapt, I spat out some chocolate the other week as it was too sweet shock

RawCoconutMacaroon Mon 25-Mar-13 07:41:21

Frillymilly, re sugar - it is shocking, but the demonisation of fat led to many "diet" and "healthy" processed food products having lots of sugar added to them... Pretty much any (processed) food with the words LOW FAT on the front will be high gi/sugar!
Typically people eating what they believe to be a healthy diet (because we are told to eat this way!), are eating extremely high carb, not great for our metabolism!

Bonners Mon 25-Mar-13 09:09:44

Oh dear. Gotta get back on the wagon...
After spending the day quite literally up to my elbows in shit I made the conscious choice last night that a kitkat was my due and again this morning after being up in the night with ds. Now I feel rubbish, heartburn, fuzzy head etc. and so angry at myself for giving inangry .
Feel stupid for being so selfpitying too. Come on Bon, get a grip!
Anyone else had blips with their sugar free quest and what did you do afterwards?

Bonners Mon 25-Mar-13 09:11:08

ps. well done teacup for shredding! Jillian Michaels is brutal but awesome.

TeaCupCrazy Mon 25-Mar-13 09:36:11

Bonners you have done so well, Its just a small blip. Don't worry about it. Less than 2 weeks ago I was bingeing on chocolate when ds had chicken pox. Its just so easy to do it.

I have managed to stay away from chocolate, biscuits, cake etc but i have eaten more crisps than usual over the weekend. I think I may try and cut them out now. I just have to be careful because i know if I cut out too much too soon I will give in. But, I don't want to end up addicted to crisps.

Bonners Mon 25-Mar-13 10:25:41

Thanks teacup. I too could substitute crisps for sugar, mmmmm. Good plan to stagger the cutting out though.

FrillyMilly Mon 25-Mar-13 20:43:18

In too fussed about crisps. I've done ok today. Had ham and cheese omelette for breakfast, almonds for a snack, salad followed by alpro yoghurt with blueberries for lunch. Dinner was a beef baguette so not great but I was running late. Think I need to sort the slow cooker out.

FrillyMilly Mon 25-Mar-13 20:44:58

Teacup what about get in healthy bits you can pick at as substitute for the crisps? I'm a such s grazer so am trying to go for things like nuts or vegetable sticks instead. Not the same but it will have to do.

TeaCupCrazy Mon 25-Mar-13 21:57:53

Hi Frilly, I bought some olives and gherkins to snack on at the weekend so i have been snacking on them. The only problem is I've been eating them with bowls of crisps. I haven't checked the sugar count In them either - Im hoping not a lot. You can just never tell. I think I will check pistachios as i really like them , I bet they are really high in calories though.

I was ok today. I had porridge for breakfast (plain), mixed salad with spicy dressing, ham and philadelphia, then banana for lunch. Tonight i did have 3 slices of wholemeal toast though. I never eat bread at night. But then all i had was a veg omelette. Still not happy about the toast though! And i didn't manage shred sad. Does anyone exercise in the morning? Think i need to start as its getting too busy at nights.

ZolaBuddleia Tue 26-Mar-13 07:39:12

Morning all.
Feel I'm doing ok compared to how my diet was previously. Have only had 2 bits of chocolate, 2 diet cokes and dinner at the MIL's last night totted up a lemon meringue pie. So, not exactly cold turkey, but a huge improvement.

I'm afraid I'm not doing any exercise, must sort that out.

What sort of weight loss are you ladies looking for? I need to lose 5 stones, but I'm focussing for the moment on changing my palate so I eat less junk by default and then I can move on to looking at calories.

EMUZ Tue 26-Mar-13 08:53:55

I've lost 9kg so far but I would like to drop another 2-3 stone
Food went awry owing to my other thread... Didn't eat bad food just didn't really eat

Breakfast today - berries and ff yog
Protein shake after workout
Not sure about lunch yet
Tea - probably beef casserole with sweet potato mash and veg

Bonners Tue 26-Mar-13 09:05:03

Morning all,
Zola, I try to run and go the gym but only manage once a week. Trying to shift a stone of "baby weight" (read: "cake weight") but mostly my focus is to feel healthier and more energetic. I signed up for a 5k in July to get myself motivated but thus far it's just stressing me out .
I'm not doing well on keeping off sugar as the saga of the poorly child continues and I'm off work yet again. But I'm bound and determined to kick it so will be back at it tomorrow. I know that I need to be able to face the knocks that come up in life without turning to sweets but need a good 2 weeks to let it embed.
Teacup, your meals sound lovely. Don't beat yourself up about the bread. Celebrate the successes!

TeaCupCrazy Tue 26-Mar-13 11:27:22

Morning all,

Im looking to lose 1 - 2 stone and just generally feel healthier. I was feeling great when i was doing shred so i really need to get back into it.

Im struggling with this now though. I had 2 packets of maltesers last night. I just cant honestly see me giving up chocolate full time. I like it blush I just don't want to eat as much or binge on it anymore. But its like smoking - I had to give cigarettes up completely. Having one cigarette is not an option. Wow I am feeling sorry for myself here lol and all over some chocolate!

ZolaBuddleia Tue 26-Mar-13 11:48:19

Blimey, only 1 - 2 stone! Call yourself a sugar addict, you should be ashamed of yourself! Lightweight. (Literally grin)

TeaCupCrazy Tue 26-Mar-13 11:59:40

Zola grin it is nearer 2 stone, i like to throw the 1 in there to make myself feel better. I did lose 6lbs in 2 weeks at the start of March when i was calorie counting and doing the shred, but i was exercising everyday and eating 1200 calories (1400 as long as i exercised). I felt better at the time but then it all went wrong and now I've put the 6lb back on sad.

ZolaBuddleia Tue 26-Mar-13 12:09:34

That's alright then, you can still be my friend.

RawCoconutMacaroon Tue 26-Mar-13 12:23:38

Teacup, you don't need to give up chocolate - but eat better chocolate!

I've lost over 6 stones low carbing and I each chocolate every single day shock! I highly recommend Aldies 85% dark, 100g bar comes wrapped in 20g portions (perfect size, only 5.4g carb).

Honestly, even if you are not that keen on dark chocolate, you will soon get used to it and you'll find rubbishy (standard) chocolate sickly over sweet and unsatisfactory.

For the long term, you need to find things you really like eating (dark chocolate, olive, different seeds and nuts...), you need to find things that make you feel treated without the sugar, so you don't feel deprived!

Dark chocolate is my big one, and moderate amounts of double cream for coffee, been doing this for years now and it doesn't seem like a diet, its a WOE! smile.

ZolaBuddleia Tue 26-Mar-13 12:54:11

Holy Moses! 6 stones!!!

Raw, can you give us an idea of what you eat? Are you doing low GI, or just no carbs?

RawCoconutMacaroon Tue 26-Mar-13 14:16:02

Zola, I started doing low carb (Atkins) about 6 or 7 years ago (starting to lose count!), it evolved into low gi (ie was eating fewer carbs and those I did eat were lower gi, mostly). That worked well initially as far as weight loss is concerned, but I have to say it was when I took a more radical step (cutting out grains, ALL grains!) a couple of years ago that I felt huge health improvement as well.

My WOE would be described as paleo, ancestral or lchf (low carb, high fat), depending on which country you are in... The three are pretty much the same. Google the terms and you will find lots of free info - there are books of course but you don't need to buy any to get the info!

What do I eat? As much as possible, unprocessed stuff I cook myself (the slow cooker is your friend, because its fast and easy to prepare, then you just forget about it for the rest of the day!). Lots of non starchy veg, salad leaves, fish poultry and meat, some starchy veg, carrots, onion and sweet potato. Dark chocolate, double cream, butter, nuts and seeds in moderation, berry fruits in moderation and other fruits and natural dries fruits in smaller amounts. Lots of salt, pepper and herbs.

Breakfast - meat or fish and a handful of nuts or berries (meat often left over from evening meal) with coffee and cream. Sometimes as a treat, seed, nuts and coconut "Muesli", or frittata I've cooked ahead for the weekend.

Lunch - typically I have a bed of salad leaves, with a chicken breast fried in butter or coconut oil with herbs, or tuna or pork steak.

Dinner - lots of roasts and slow cooked things. Cheaper cuts of meat cooked slow is an economical way to eat a high protein/low carb diet, whole chicken roasted, baked fish. Lots of non starchy veg, salad leaves. Cauliflower instead of rice/potato.

Snacks, very dark chocolate, nuts, seeds, fruits, some honey... Not in huge quantities of course.

No grains(bread cake etc obviously) potato, pulses, milk...

Radical? Maybe not! These are the foods we evolved to eat, it's not a new idea iykwim!

The thing with cutting carbs is, if you don't cut them back far enough, you will feel hungry, because you haven't cut back enough to stabilise blood sugar... Unfortunately, everyone is different, can cope with different amounts before going off the rails- it might be 50g, 100g, 150g a day - for me its about 50-60g a day, when I weighed more, I had to cut back to about 20g a day (but my insulin response/ blood sugar level was heading towards diabetic at that time).

The downside of paleo- it's not cheap, and people think its weird but it works for weight loss and health.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now