New Year Low Carb Bootcamp - The Final Weigh-In!

(980 Posts)
BIWI Mon 18-Mar-13 08:27:31

So here it is - come and weigh in for the last time and tell us how much you've lost in Bootcamp.

The Spreadsheet of Fabulousness is here

marybeard and sybil, i'm with you on 5:2 - i can see how well it works for other people but it is not for me. i have to hide the threads on here, because i see people talking about how clear-headed they feel on fast days and that feeling is like a drug to me

BIWI Thu 11-Apr-13 13:49:22

I tried it, briefly, but it's not for me either. I have never suffered from an eating disorder, but I have had years of (usually failed) calorie counting. And it took me straight back to those years of obsessive weighing and counting, and constantly thinking about food and how hungry I was.

Now, when I'm properly back on the LCHF wagon I often skip breakfast, not eating until lunchtime. It's no hardship as I'm usually not hungry in the morning.

I have also been training successfully in this fasted state - either doing an hour at the gym with my trainer or doing a 20+ minute run (up to 28 minutes now).

So yes, if you're not hungry it's quite alright to miss a meal, but you need to be prepared for if/when you get hungry between meals, and to not allow the lack of planned meal drive you into the biscuit tin!

NigellasGuest Thu 11-Apr-13 13:50:25

Thanks for the big stick waving, BIWI.
I did really well yesterday as well, but then gave in to the fact that the DCs were making a great big fuck-off chocolate cake IN FRONT OF ME - so how could I resist sampling the icing, which then led to the slippery slope......
no one's fault but my own of course.
<hangs head in shame>

BIWI Thu 11-Apr-13 14:51:54

grin

Oh dear. <tries to sound sympathetic>

sybilfaulty Thu 11-Apr-13 14:56:48

Thanks everyone. After my BAB I did time house jobs then went for a swim. 1.5 miles. Hurray. Knackered and Hungary afterwards so had ham with Gorgonzola. Now drinking water with kids.

sybilfaulty Thu 11-Apr-13 14:57:36

Hm. Hungry not Hungary. Damned phone.

Feels suitably kicked grin Thank you BIWI you talk sense.

I am taking myself in hand.

I had a total mad crack late last night and had a golden syrup sarnie, but was actually really pleased taht it was much knaffer than I remember. I have been on and off near dreaming of those since 8th Feb when I started on this road, and this is the first one. And actually I don't think I will be feeling the need again. So that is a kind of result.
I do actually find that sometimes it works out better for me to eat the shite I crave and realise it is shite, as then I start the next day going "pah, don't want that, where are my eggs??" and feel much less stressed and deprived.

Lovely lunch today of pan fried sardines (the fresh ones, got them reduced to 10p each!) with stirfried cabbage, courgette and broccoli in garlic and chilli with a squeeze of lemon juice.

Tonight, home made curry. I am making chicken tikka, tis marinading now and smells v nice. Then I shall blast it under the grill. And then a cauliflower and green pepper curry on the side. All new recipes so We Shall See!

Willie is right. When you are struggling with wanting all the cakey shite, you really need fabulously tempting meals to look forward too.

Curry does it for me, I love spice! And as a plus, greek yog is the perfect follow up to cool the palate. Chocolate cake would actually be wrong anyway!

HeirToTheIronThrone Thu 11-Apr-13 15:45:08

5:2 was no good at all for me - it only served to really encourage my binge eating on the non-fast days, which as you can imagine did not really do much to help! I can't really BAB in the week as I have breakfast at work, but do try at the weekend. But always always have lunch, even if it's just snacky things!

BerylStreep Thu 11-Apr-13 17:49:40

Hello all, I'm not sure how I have managed it, but I have put a kilo back on. It was my birthday on Tues, and I had 2 glasses of wine. Other than that I have been truly saintly. It doesn't really seem fair, having the double whammy of another year wiser and another kilo heavier.

Anyhow, off to find something to do with an aubergine.

BerylStreep Thu 11-Apr-13 17:51:27

I forgot to say, I bought some of the Lidl yoghurt - 2 tubs of it. My DH had the same idea the same day. So we have 3kg yoghurt lurking in the fridge!

beryl drink water like it is going out of fashion and stick with it - it'll be gone in next to no time.

Aubergine parmiagiana (sp?) Beryl is lovely. It's nicest if you are really stingy with the tomato sauce, ie. pretty much just paint the aubergine with it, rather than having an actual layer IYSWIM, otherwise it overwhelms the aubergine. Nicer to major on the fried aubergine and cheese flavours.

Great post BIWI!

I'm with black - for me the BAB is about less snacking - in particular that 6pm danger zone for me when I'm tempted to wolf the DCs leftovers. With the BAB I don't even think about snacking.

Spilt I had aubergine parmigiana last night! Love it!

Oh and great post Willie! I find it much easier to be virtuous if I am thoroughly looking forward to what I am going to be eating with hands-rubbing glee.

Ruprekt Thu 11-Apr-13 20:54:48

Had my BAB which kept me going til 3.30pm. Then I had salmon with ff mayo mashed up.

Just ate steak in creamy mushroom sauce with celeriac chips.

(And 4 pieces of dark choc) smilesmile

HeirToTheIronThrone Thu 11-Apr-13 22:47:07

I can report that the cauliflower pizza from those Guardian recipes was pretty good, I topped it with chorizo, mozarella and black olives and even DP quite liked it. So, success!

Am making the celeriac tartiflette tomorrow for my mum who is coming to stay. She is MEGA doubtful about LC - so, do I come clean re celeriac, and have a load of snarky comments about fads and my cholesterol levels if I eat that much cream, or keep quiet and see if she notices?...

Ruprekt Thu 11-Apr-13 22:48:09

Keep quiet like I should've done with my mum and LC!gringrin

my mum could cope with the idea of low carb, it's the high fat idea she would struggle with. she's a GP and v into wholegrains, but if she wants to lose weight (not that she would ever have much to lose, but post-christmas for example) she stops eating potatoes, pasta, rice and bread for a while. she also only has toast for breakfast once a week

but the idea of full fat yoghurt, mayonnaise, butter etc would have her shock

but i don't discuss my weight or diet with her because she's burnt her bridges there in the past <childish grudge>

Yama Fri 12-Apr-13 08:13:14

My parents believe in the lchf way of eating. They are convinced because my dh explained it to them and as he sciency and can do no wrong, they therefore believe him.

However, they are both retired and my Dad has a liking for crisps and cakes and he encourages my Mum to eat chocolate. They have though cut out potatoes and I think rice and pasta. My Dad will text (he does the cooking) and ask me how to make cauli rice for example.

I think if my Mum came to live with us, she could easily follow this woe.

BlackAffronted Fri 12-Apr-13 08:41:03

My friend who started LCing 2 weeks ago has lost 11lbs smile She is totally convinced now that this woe works. Its also great having a real-life buddy to do this with. Another bonus is, she is usually with us when we meet for breakfast/a coffee etc so I am not alone in ordering LC stuff. It is making life much easier.

Menu yetserday -

Greek yog, egg & ham

Oxtail stew

Chicken, salad & coleslaw.

3 green teas.

HeirToTheIronThrone Fri 12-Apr-13 08:59:16

So the consensus seems to be go for stealth celeriac smile I am very intrigued to see if she realises!

BIWI Fri 12-Apr-13 09:15:00

Heir - there are many ways to cook with celeriac. Sometimes you would hardly know it's not potato, such as in the tartiflette recipe, sometimes it's very obvious, e.g. when you mash it. It has its own taste and the texture (especially when mashed) is different.

But IMVHO, if you were to make something like the tartiflette, which I would guess most people haven't had before/don't make that often, then you're not making it an obvious potato substitute. Whereas if you were to serve celeriac mash when somebody would be expecting to have potato mash, then you will be drawing attention to it rather more.

BlackAffronted Fri 12-Apr-13 09:17:26

Forgot to add that the weight I gained during my carbiness has been lost plus a bonus pound. One more pound to make it 2 stone exactly!

BlackAffronted Fri 12-Apr-13 09:18:19

My fave dish using celeriac is making a fondant (not the cake type!!). Its delicious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now