Myfitnesspal.com support thread 6!!!

(714 Posts)

A thread for all those wanting support and advice for using mfp website and app. Welcome to everyone new and those of us that have been around a while hmm

BumBiscuits Sun 17-Feb-13 02:06:57

4 weeks in....9 lbs off, whoop, whoop!

Lissyfrog Sun 17-Feb-13 07:27:50

Well done BUM x that's brill x so chuffed for u x keep it up x

WiseKneeHair Sun 17-Feb-13 08:24:59

Great lose Bum well done.
I've exercised hard the last few days, it really is addictive! Feeling it today though, so may take it a bit easier today. Think we are going to try and drag the DC outside for a walk today, you'll probably hear the moaning from where you all are. Wish us luck. grin

fiftyodd Sun 17-Feb-13 09:45:35

Hello all - I've just added some more of you on MFP, where I'm busybusybee.

Could I ask a very cheeky question? From looking at some of the food diaries on MFP, some people seem to eat hardly any veg or salad (but stay under the calorie goal by exercising a lot).

If you fall into this category, is that really how you're eating, or do you not just bother adding veggies because they're so low in calories?

Eating like this and exercising will mean losing weight, but it wouldn't be great for optimum health and I guess risks putting it back on after the weight loss period is over.

WiseKneeHair Sun 17-Feb-13 10:45:04

Hi fifty I'll send you a friend request in MFP.
Interesting question, I have seen lots of different ways of doing it on MFP. I feel similarly to you, that you need to eat healthily as well as low calorie and I try and incorporate that into my food diary. With the not so odd treat.
However, others seem to being well without the five a day and I guess people do what works for them. That's what I love about MFP, the diversity of diaries and how different people's eating habits can be, yet still be eating similar calories.

fiftyodd Sun 17-Feb-13 12:27:53

I've accepted your friend request wisekneehair. I have more than the odd treat, including probably too much wine - but I do attempt to eat a lot of vegetables, salad and fruit, which I actually enjoy.

I wouldn't be able to lose weight otherwise, because I'm small (5ft 3ins) and don't need/want to lose a lot, plus, as my name implies, aged over 50 and boy, does the metabolism slow down! I thought the 40s were hard enough, this is much more difficult especially because I'm sitting down all day in work and then spend too much time on MN instead of the gym.

Dizzydora71 Sun 17-Feb-13 16:53:03

Hello everyone and all the newbies. I've lost 3lbs this week so in total I've lost 1 stone 5.5 pounds in 6 weeks.still feeling very motivated and not finding it a struggle. Feel free to add me on Mfp same username as here.

Well done Bumbiscuits!

I don't eat my 5 a day every day but usually have at least 3 most days fiftyodd, I was surprised by how little fruit and veg some people eat but it is expensive and I genuinely think a lot of people can't afford it. Since I have been maintaining I have increased the number of treats and know I don't eat enough fruit and veg but some days I really don't fancy fruit and depending on what we have for dinner I'd have a few there. I make sure my children eat plenty but not so good myself. I log all that I eat low calorie or not but can't speak for anyone else smile

DoubleMum Sun 17-Feb-13 21:38:37

Well done Bum!
I log everything, ad nauseam. I apologise if it makes boring reading, but I feel that way I'm not cheating IYSWIM. Cos obviously I know I would only be cheating myself but believe me it has happened before.

WiseKneeHair Sun 17-Feb-13 21:58:17

Well done Dizzy, that's a very impressive loss.
fifty 5'3" isn't small, it's about right as I am 5'2.5" but I know what you mean. Weight shows up a lot more than it would a taller person.
Had a good weekend, lots of exercise, so onwards and downwards.

WiseKneeHair Sun 17-Feb-13 21:59:46

Haven't said, but I log absolutely everything, even my daily multivitamin. Although, I admit, it is sometimes tempting to omit things.

jchocchip Mon 18-Feb-13 09:24:22

I sometimes miss things but not intentionally! Yesterday it was about 6 grapes my daughter gave me in the car and I forgot. Eat more veg when I am cooking and less when it is ds's turn as he thinks cooking is putting a pizza in the oven...

FeijoaVodkaAndCheezels Mon 18-Feb-13 18:17:39

Thank you for the welcome and the lovely new mfp arse kicking friends. grin

I have climbed back on the wagon and now that last of the ice cream has been 'disposed of' I will behave and kick the last 5 and a half kg into touch.

Makingmama Mon 18-Feb-13 19:17:20

Hello can I join please smile really want to lose at least 1 stone and tone up...especially flabby tummy! Going to get back onto MFP tomorrow with start weight in the morning. Also really going to try hard to work out 5 x a wk...just need to work it into busy schedule - that's the hard part! What calorie allowances are you all on and losing well with? Thinking start at 1200 for quick weight loss.

Hi everyone, can I join please? I was on MFP last year, stopped doing it, and forgot my log in details! New name is the same as on here, would really appreciate anyone adding me, it's a bit lonely on there at the minute!

Lissyfrog Tue 19-Feb-13 07:21:36

Hi girls x
I've added breakout x welcome x
Makingmama is yr name the same as on here as I couldn't find u x add me x lissyfrog x
I to r on 1200 cals per day and found the 1st week hard as I couldn't do any exercise as recovering from an op x so found it hard not bein able to even earn an extra 100 cals if I need it x In to the swing of it now but it helps to b able to do a bit of walking now apart from the exercise its scrapping the blinking boardom x
Had a really bad mood day yesterday as it was weigh in and had only lost a pound in two weeks !!!! Not a happy bunny but all the girls were they to support me x I did go out for a nice long walk with my DS and his 2 friends and the dog although he wasn't likin mums extra miles. We walked to Mc D's where they all had food and I had a coffee !!! So chuffed with myself coz considering my mood could of ate 20 meals 20 shakes plus the kids !!!!! smile x
Did u all know that on the back of the paper they put on the tray is everything they do with the cals x it really opened my eyes x what I normally have for lunch in there is more than my whole days cal allowance x Big Mac meal and shake is nearly 1500 cals sad I would have that plus breakfast and t !!!!!

That's another great thing about mfp, you can look up fast food before you go into the Restuarant smile. I usually have a happy meal at McDonalds now but would have always had a large meal before.

Pinkglow Tue 19-Feb-13 12:05:26

Hi Ive added a few of the newbies - Im seapaper on MFP if anyone needs to add me.

I eat loads of veg mainly because Im trying to be healthy rather than skinny if that makes sense. Plus we only eat meat about three times a week, then fish two times so I have to come up with veggie dishes. The only thing I suffer with is Iron intake. I used to be very anemic anyway so I try to have green veg most days but I still take a iron suppliment.

WiseKneeHair Tue 19-Feb-13 13:02:41

Welcome everyone. I've added you BreakOut, but couldn't find MakingMama.
Well done on resisting McDs Lissy, you should feel very proud of yourself.
I have a calorie allowance of about 1330 ( it keeps going down as I lose weight!) as I couldn't cope with 1200. In fact, having read about the eat more to lose weight threads on MFP, I am thinking of upping my calories. I'm going to wait until my losses slow down though as I'm happy with how it's going at the moment.

Thanks for the adds! Makes it a lot more fun when others are following too. My cals are currently 1200 sad, but I'm actually considering following 5:2 diet alongside it, eating slightly more on the other days- maybe 1500?

I struggle with getting my 5 a day in, as I don't like fruit. I'm trying to make more homemade soups, things like that, to get a few more in. I find I get very bored with meat and 2 veg type of meals, so trying to have a few more in soups, omelettes, etc.

fiftyodd Tue 19-Feb-13 18:23:33

I've just sent a few more requests via my busybusybee name on MFP.

Scales showed me as 1lb heavier this morning hmm but AF today.

I am determined to stick with trying to lose at least 5lb, but may go back on phase 1 of the Harcombe diet next week which is hardcore, but works well for me. I can only stick it for 5 days though.

gobbymare Wed 20-Feb-13 16:11:58

Ugh lost the thred for a few days, glad i found you all.

Welcome newbies, i`ve added a few of you ladies i`m saucysezie on MFP.

I`m on my phone so can`t go back but will catch up later, just want to say thanx for the support ladies and well done on the losses, as we continue to choose out hard!

OneTwoOrThree Wed 20-Feb-13 20:33:01

Wow, thread 6!

I've been away for a while (not enough time to mn these days!), but have been sticking to the diet. I'm about 11lbs away from goal, and the weight loss has slowed dramatically - just 0.5lb in the last 2 weeks.

To be honest I'm not to sure if it's just a plateau and the weight loss will return to it's previous rate, or if this is a more permanent slow down.

A few things have changed.....

Firstly, I've cut down on breastfeeds to one or two a day, so have stopped giving myself the extra 200 calories (I'm a bit worried my milk has dried up, but that's a whole other thread!)

I also got a fitbit a few weeks ago, and have upped my daily step count as a result. I'm earning 200-300 exercise calories most days (ie replacing the ones I got for breastfeeding) and am trying to use no more than 200 a day.

I'm going to start running again - did 6km at the weekend, any my legs are killing me (still!). I should know better than to start with a 6km run, when I haven't seen my trainers for months, but it felt good at the time.

I'll catch up on the thread later tonight....

PS - any newbies feel free to add me on MFP (same name as here)

jchocchip Thu 21-Feb-13 07:48:12

Hi 12or3

BumBiscuits Thu 21-Feb-13 09:16:48

karaoke I follow the 5:2, on week 3/done 6 fasts. I was on 1200 a day too. The problem with such a low amount is that you have no room for the odd blowout.

I've had years of doing really well on a diet for 2 or 3 weeks, losing say 6lbs then putting it all back on over the space of one day and becoming disheartened.

I'm on week 3 of 5:2. My calories over the week still work out at approx 1200 per day if averaged out. I've had a deficit of over 4000 each week. I think you need a deficit of 3500 to lose a pound.

I've lost 9lbs. Weighing in tomorrow or Sunday (away Saturday).

I'm 51tolose on MFP if you want to have a squizz at my diary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now