Myfitnesspal.com support thread 6!!!

(714 Posts)

A thread for all those wanting support and advice for using mfp website and app. Welcome to everyone new and those of us that have been around a while hmm

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Sun 05-May-13 16:37:55

Indeed but even at 20 stone I think MFP/your HRM has gone a bit nuts! It does sometimes though, I think. You said you applied common sense though and good for you!

jchocchip Sun 05-May-13 17:10:43

calorie calculator My hrm is not that far out compared to this calculator and is consistent. For instance it always registers a lot less when I run the parkrun near my Mums house. The difference being my usual parkrun is three laps with a steep hill... But weight is the major factor in calories burnt. smile

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Sun 05-May-13 17:36:19

Yep, weight is. Which is why it really sucks to be trying to lose 1/2 a stone to fit my clothes! I'd not seen that calculator before - thank you!

Three laps with a steep hill sounds brutal. We have two laps with a big hill in ours and that's bad enough. DH did 3 flat laps at Dulwich this weekend and hated it far more than he did the 2 hilly laps. I think the lack of variation really messed with him.

I'm hoping to try one again next weekend - I got a stress fracture in my foot skiing and the medics said I can start running this week. If I don't race and gently plod round it should be fine.

I burned 370 for my parkrun Saturday and I weight 9st 8. Was burning loads more for my c25k run/walks because I was about 14st when I started it. I was disappointed with my reduction in calorie burn for same amount of effort as I lost weight wink

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Sun 05-May-13 20:43:21

You're my goal weight, cinnamongreyhound - I have 9lbs to go and it's so hard and slow. I hope it goes before summer - I'm working so hard.

Movingforward123 Sun 05-May-13 21:29:07

Ok so negatives are I've eaten badly all weekend!

Positives are today I bought a ab circle pro mini second hand grin I've wanted one for ages and tues I am seeing a personal trainer for a one off session to give me a exercise plan I can do that won't hurt my ankle! And talk about nutrition. grin so planning to give things a good go from Tuesday!

The food thing is defiantly a problem for me!

WiseKneeHair Tue 07-May-13 17:03:18

I did a 8.5k circuit yesterday that had hills in it! I don't like hills and am so glad the Parkrun I did was pretty flat.
Um, not sure what an AB circle pro mini is moving, but great! grin I've heard it said that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise, so we have to persevere with the food side, unfortunately. Not had a great day sitting in Costa as DS3 had his first session a school and I was nervous! Will get back on track tomorrow. Think I was also a bit complacent as I lost 1.8lbs this week grin
Going to try a short run tonight, although my knee is a bit sore, so I don't want to aggravate it.
I have a similar goal weight too cinnamon and hotel, although I am thinking of moving it down about half a stone. We'll see, I'm still 13lbs away, so don't have to make any definite decisions yet. I want to look at body fat as well. I'm down to 27.5 and want to get it at least below 25.

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Tue 07-May-13 17:25:21

Good for you doing those hills! I hate them too - I find running up them repeating "this is good for my bum, this is good for my bum" helps grin

I did want to get below 9 1/2 stone a few years ago and dipped below it but it's not sustainable for me. At 9 stone 8 I'm an 8/10 and strong/toned. I'm not going to be a skinny girl so I go for being strong!

I've entered a half marathon for July this week, which I think will give me a goal of staying healthy/fit for that, though I will undo all the good work I do of running 13.1 miles in the pub afterwards - and I'll enjoy it!

Grrr wrote a post and its gone!! Well done on hills wisekneehair and fab incentive entering a half marathon HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform.

riverboat Thu 09-May-13 09:17:39

Hi all, I've just started using MFP to try to help myself understand why I've been gaining weight recently, and its been a real wake up call! I want to lose a few kg, stop overeating on 'extras' and keep myself motivated to do regular exercise.

I'm riverboat83 there if anyone wants to add me.

Dingle Thu 09-May-13 12:00:36

I have been logging a mug of tea with a dash of skimmed milk...is it really 30 calories????? LOL I have had red tea with no milk this morning.

The entry I use is 20 calories for tea but I really don't have much milk in mine, guess the only way to be sure is if you measure how much milk you add.

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Fri 10-May-13 07:41:42

I only have one cup of tea a day when dieting to cut back on the calories from the milk. I could fuel myself entirely on it the rest of the time! Mint tea, green tea and herbal teas become your friend in this situation.

Ledkr Sat 11-May-13 07:23:53

Can I hop in? After two annoying years of trying everything possible to loss the two stone left from dc5 I have finally started to lose with MFP.
I'm on 1200 and find by avoiding eating many carbs I can eat well.
I do find it hard if I've not shopped or planned meals as those are the times you naturally reach for bread or pasta.
I'm getting used to it now though and just have lots of veg instead.
If I do have bread rice or pasta I have a tiny amount as its such a treat now.
Big cheat problem for me is when logging food I just guess at portions so I do need to get my arse into gear with that.
Hoping to start c25k this week and some shredding but I've got a medical prob which makes me knackered so it's very hard to get the motivation together to do it.
Feel glad something's working at last though.

Lissyfrog Sat 11-May-13 08:54:00

Hi guys
Haven't been on here for a while so just marking my place x any newbies feel free to add me same name as on here x I can't praise MFP Enough it's been a god send to me after bein on every flipping diet under the sun but the advice and support u all give each other is the main thing that keeps me going x and there's a long way to go on my fat arse x love MFP but love my new friends more x

VitoCorleone Tue 14-May-13 18:08:03

Hi all i was on MFP last year and added some of you. Lost 3 stone (21lb of it on MFP) but the weight is slowly creeping back onto my stomach so im back on MFP again and have started using DPs treadmill.

Tomorrow im starting the Insanity workout i must be fucking insane

If anyone wants to add me my username on there is RebeccaKayleigh

smile

amigababy Tue 14-May-13 18:51:07

Hi can I join in?
I've dabbled on MFP in years gone by but didn't stick to it. Now I've got a smartphone (late adopter)
I'm trying again, with 21 pounds to lose.

my username is the same as here if anyone wants to add me ( please do, it says I've got no friends!

VitoCorleone Tue 14-May-13 19:09:52

Ive sent you a friend request amigababy.

amigababy Tue 14-May-13 20:23:02

thank you.

Welcome to new ladies. It can be quite a quiet thread as mfp is quite social in itself! Feel free to add me, same name as here smile

Ledkr Tue 14-May-13 22:00:11

It's working well for me I avoid potatoes pasta and bread which seems to give me lots of extra calories for other stuff.
It's hard when I'm working though and dh cooks he's git the idea but no idea how to make it nice. Tonight I had fish and steamed butternut squash and roasted courgettes truly vile and tasteless bluergh.

Ledkr Tue 14-May-13 22:11:54

Can't seem to do the friend thing can anyone enlighten me?
I'm ledkrmumsnet of course

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Wed 15-May-13 07:20:27

Are you using the app ledkr ? Click the friends icon, then add friends at the bottom, then email, then write in the user names.

I've added the new people too.

Am a bit cross with it today though. I do a lot of spinning, and was playing around with other exercises and worked out that it thinks a spinning class (where I quite regularly push myself so hard I almost throw up/get a really tingly head) is the same as cycling at a moderate effort on an exercise bike. I think that's a bit wrong, but think it gets exercise calories all confused. Anyway, rant over.

Steamed butternut squash sounds like the work of the devil himself - did it taste like hot melon? I find it's better to roast it with chili flakes which balances out the sweetness. In fact I eat so much chili/spice when we're dieting as I try to substitute volume with flavour.

Healthy Recipes on BBC Good Food is a good place to start for inspiration. We like things like:

Chapati Wraps
Prawn Pilau
Couscous salad

And if I want comfort food

Soup with fish finger croutons

There's loads on the site and you can filter by calorie content/main ingredient/course etc. It helped me lose three stone a few years back.

Ledkr Wed 15-May-13 09:37:11

Well I've been trying to lose weight since baby was born and literally nothing has worked. Sw ww loads of exercise 5/2 diet. Suddenly I'm losing and it feels easy. I've started to realise I don't have to be constantly eating to be happy.
I went for pizza last Saturday and had two slices and loads of salad in the past I'd have scoffed a whole one blush

Ledkr Wed 15-May-13 09:39:11

Going to make that prawn pilau for dinner yum

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now