I F - 5:2 - 4:3 - Maintaining the healthy weight

(1000 Posts)
TalkinPeace2 Fri 01-Feb-13 16:59:38

This thread is for those who have been doing IF for quite a while and are now at or nearing their target healthy weight.

How do we experience fasts and balance a stable food intake while having little or no weight to lose?

How to we ensure that this WOE does keep us at the healthy weight long term rather than revert to yoyo games?

I have now been at the same weight for a month. I'm happy with that. I'm also still enjoying the 24 hour fasts because of the clear mindedness I get during them.

How about you?

GiraffesEatPineapples Fri 22-Feb-13 10:55:40

Thanks mocnk, I do agree with ask that you say, but the flip side is I am at the top end of overweight bmi, so actually I need to lose weight to be heathy, at a stone lost yesterday I was happy with the weight loss but if in reality its just water and more like 7lbs lost in 5 months, that's not so great!

GiraffesEatPineapples Fri 22-Feb-13 10:59:35

I will continue to fast in some form whatever I decide to do to shift weight, I suspect I need to eat healthily all week sigh!

Talkinpeace Fri 22-Feb-13 20:27:42

Did you miss me ?

Talkinpeace Fri 22-Feb-13 20:38:06

and yes, its me - I've got my real name back (thank you MNHQ)
but I'll still keep posting on the 5;2 forums so long as Phil is not too annoying !

Breadandwine Fri 22-Feb-13 21:03:46

Hey, Tip! Welcome back!

Justice prevails, eh?

Now then, what needs sorting out on here? grin

Nice to see you back on your thread!

Talkinpeace Fri 22-Feb-13 21:12:26

(((B&W))) Me 'n' MNHQ agreed on a way forward that benefits all of us ....

and more to the point having sat around by the fire eating for a week, I'm back to proper fasting next week :-0

Aftereightsarenolongermine Fri 22-Feb-13 21:48:00

Welcome back!

Talkinpeace Fri 22-Feb-13 21:53:44

grin
shall do my best to carry on being supportive.
Exile to other forums (fora ??) made me realise how good this one is
BUT finding some really good science geeks on here
www.52fastdiet.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=3efddf6f10dc3adba526d34f5deb049c
was useful

catsrus Fri 22-Feb-13 22:22:35

[bunting] [fireworks] welcome back TiP - I have to confess I'm very lazy about using other forum blush and always seem to default back here nothing to do with forgetting my other passwords

Talkinpeace Fri 22-Feb-13 22:28:54

blah !

part of the deal on getting this name back was me remembering the password after 2 years .... MN forgot that I'm an auditor : I'm used to remembering mindless patterns of numbers

the 5:2 forum is really good - for 5:2 : but because it does not trip up passing trade (as the AIBU etc threads here do) its a tad narrow - but I'll keep supporting it for the nerdy stuff.
The MSE one needs to keel over
I won't use FB as TiP does not have an FB account (actually that is an idea)
ebay is as ebay does
UKBF are too busy with RTI to worry about 5:2

virginposter Fri 22-Feb-13 23:29:27

Welcome back TiP it hasn't been the same without you smile

ThinkICan Sat 23-Feb-13 02:31:13

Our conscience-keeper is back! Let's hear it for Talkinpeace smile

Yay welcome back TiP! We missed you <<unmumsnetty but I don't care>>

Skinnyeye Sat 23-Feb-13 09:56:10

Welcome home TIP
WI yesterday and the scales are moving downwards again grin lost a pound. Nearing the end of week 5 of C25K and feeling pretty good. heading out for a cycle today have a lovely route planned and hopefully it will`stay dry. Enjoy your Saturday everyone

Laska42 Sat 23-Feb-13 10:57:10

YAY! TIP!! welcome back.grin. lets get out the non fast day wine (well maybe a bit later , ive just had me breakfast )wink .. I just popped in for a quick nose to see what everyone is up to having not posted yesterday .but have . lots to do today.. will be back tomorrow

GiraffesEatPineapples Sat 23-Feb-13 11:01:46

Hi tip welcome back! grin

GiraffesEatPineapples Sat 23-Feb-13 11:16:57

thanksbearthanks bearthanksbear thanksbearthanks bearthanksbear thanksbearthanks bearthanksbear bunting!

GreenEggsAndNichts Sat 23-Feb-13 15:58:54

Bunting. grin

I've had a busy week so I haven't been as prolific with my posts, but I'm very glad to see you back TIP.

FB is good for keeping up with friends back home, but the 5:2 group on FB is too unwieldy for me to keep up with. There also seems to be a few people there doing 5:2 their way and passing it off as gospel, whereas I think different things work for different people, once you're past the obvious "fast for 2 days" bit.

Anyway, back to shopping for bathrooms and kitchens. I'm keeping an eye on things here, though. I can't just drop my "starvation mode is a myth" comment on the 5:2 thread and not expect a response or two later. smile

Talkinpeace Sat 23-Feb-13 16:37:41

Interestingly with this cold weather I'm eating more - but agreed with DH that fasting and salads are easy for when it warms up - and my BMI is still well under 21 so I'm just being picky with myself :-)

might restart bodypump next half term - that on an empty stomach is a scorcher.

Bordercollielover Sat 23-Feb-13 21:29:38

Hi TiP. Lots of us get unbearably cold when fasting. I don't exercise, am in a wheelchair temporarily anyway, but I am wondering if you find exercise on a fast day to be effective for warming up?

Talkinpeace Sat 23-Feb-13 21:38:07

I'm not a good case on that as I have chronic Raynauds (or custard finger as my children so politely put it).
I am in the habit of ALWAYS wearing big shrug jumpers and cardigans around the house at the moment - especially round necked and with sleeves that cover my hands.
But yes, getting active gets everything woken up.

Being stuck in a chair is a pain (I grew up in a wheelchair household) but yes, anything to warm up the muscles should help

lots of upper body work (tin of beans in each hand, lots of reps of different arm movements)
lots of buttock and leg muscle clenches
lots of sitting up as straight as you can and
pranayama - yoga controlled breath work - surprisingly aerobic and warming
any pilates you can manage will help

my swimming is my best bit - despite the cold walk out to the pool edge!

Bordercollielover Sat 23-Feb-13 22:34:00

Thanks will give it a go. I would be very interested to know my core body temp by afternoon on a fast day as I always literally feel chilled to the marrow whatever I wear. I do 4:3 so will try doing some baked bean lifts on my fast days.

frenchfancy Sun 24-Feb-13 08:35:34

Welcome back tip. It wasn't the same without you.

I tried on all my new clothes last night and THEY FIT. One dress wasn't flattering but looks good on my BF and one other would look better if I lost a few more lbs (but thats ok I'll save it for the summer). The rest look fab. Thanks again betsy for the ebay idea.

BetsyVanBell Sun 24-Feb-13 16:49:15

FF Ace! Bought myself a couple of 'new' things on there too this week - satisfyingly tiny things... just need some milder expletive weather to wear them though. Brr.

Not seeing much Shred on here lately... what happened to evil Jillian? I'll be shredding in the morning... hope I'm not the only one getting my bikini-ready body?

Laska42 Sun 24-Feb-13 17:35:44

Hi Betsey Evil Jillian will be back tomorrow and NO EXCUSES.

. I have had an unexpected non fast day today as DH reminded me with poached egg and smoked salmon breakfast , big bunch of flowers and promise of yummy lunch out (and it was) that it was 20 years ago today that we actually met! . (at our Uni interview day ..I'm so impressed as I didn't know what date that was !) .

So its back in the saddle for me tomorrow and Evil Jillian also ..

This thread is not accepting new messages.