2013 NEW YEAR JILLIAN MICHAELS FANS!

(1000 Posts)

New thread for the Julian Monkeys!!

Here's to a new year Shedded and Shredded, Ripped, with Killer Buns and Thighs, a 6 Pack, a Revolutionised Body and No More Trouble Zones grin

Any practitioners of Insanity, Turbofire and all other such insane DVDs come and join us too if you like smile

Jacksterbear Thu 09-May-13 19:00:07

Ahh, good old L2 shred: it is truly unpleasant isn't it!

Have now lent out Ripped, Shred and 6w6p - all my usual workouts, so being forced to try new stuff which is probably a good thing. Did the first workout in Turbojam today and it was very easy (fitness-wise I mean, although hard to follow all the moves!) but will give it the benefit of the doubt as it was mostly just learning the moves and may get more challenging in the later workouts. I do like the martial arts/dance mix.

Also my es&s has arrived and am dying to try it out!

Happypiglet Thu 09-May-13 20:17:38

L1 Shred again today ( plus four hours solid of house work!).... Getting easier. Starting to up the weights for some parts.
Done seven days now so building up to L2 ....which I remember hating... Gulp!

Ponks Thu 09-May-13 22:30:13

Hi All,
Since the weekend I've done Ripped L1 and Shred L2, then had a couple of days off, with lots of massaging of my legs and fingers crossed the knees are holding up so I'm looking forward to getting back into more regular workouts. Still need to get a foam roller though as recommended by physio.
Have been riding DH's horse last couple of days - she can be quite strong and pulls me forward so it has shown me how I need to improve my core strength - I can feel the need for lots of Jillian's plank exercises - the circuits in NMTZ are calling!

Happypiglet Fri 10-May-13 09:55:46

O...M...G... in a moment of madness I attempted L2 Shred this morning... I had forgotten that last circuit... all that arm strength work followed by Plank Jacks and then plank twists... ow..ow...ow
Sounds like the leg is holding up Ponks... I love NMTZ but its just that bit long for me... might try it again on a quieter day.
Jackster Bear- Have you done ES&S yet- do tell!

Jacksterbear Fri 10-May-13 10:28:20

Not yet happypiglet - hopefully tomorrow morning! Well done on getting through L2 shred; I totally agree re the shoulder agony! What weights are u using? I use 2kgs and that last circuit is really nasty with them.

Ponks glad the knees seem ok and enjoy NMTZ!

notnowbernard Fri 10-May-13 12:27:44

Hi all grin

Well, just had an utterly depressing shopping experience trying on dresses for holiday hmm

The view of my backside was terrible! And to think I was of the impression my butt was getting firmer! < deluded>
Thing is, I'm fitting size 10 dresses comfortably now so I know I've lost inches (was a 12 before Jillianing) but I just looked, well, saggy...

Do I need Buns and Thighs instead of Ripped next, dyou think?

<thinks of holiday in 2 weeks time>
<panics>

gingercat12 Fri 10-May-13 12:30:30

Sorry for disappearing for a few weeks. I blame life, the Game of Thrones books and Jillian for this. Thanks for keeping me on the staright and narrow. I always lurk even when I do not post.

On the 13th and last week of Body Revolution. OMG. It is getting easier, though. I noticed it on plank thrusts and how the various crab-exercises and plank moguls are the ones where I get a little breather. I am also much better at push-ups. I think she is doing her usual forcing you to do push-ups by stealth like threesteps mentioned in ES&S.

I do not think I lost much weight, but I definitely fit into smaller clothes. I had to splash out this week, as I am fed up re-hemming my trousers every week (they are far too big and fall down all the time). Sadly I am a size 13, so that is a bit of pickle. At least I could get nice new tops and dresses in size 12, which for me is tiny. DH looked at my slightly revealing dress and said "You could not have worn that last year!" I think it was meant to be a compliment.

What shall I do next? It would be great to keep up this fitness level, but I am not sure whether I can do it all the time.

HandMini Fri 10-May-13 15:34:55

Thank goodness I found you all! Have just done day 1 of Level 1 of Shred! Phew. Am three months post partum so feeling very untoned and wobbly. So, experts, help me out with 2 questions:

1. I just know I'm not going to be able to manage every day consecutively. Should I aim for every other day, or is it best just to stick at one level for a while until it feels easy....hmmm, may be waiting a long time....plan at the moment was to do Level 1 for the whole of May, which will hopefully be 10-15 sessions in total, then move to Level 2 in June.

2. I don't have weights so cheated did my first session without. Can you give me some ideas for household objects I can use instead....am totally broke so can't really shell out for proper ones.

Anyone want to join me for a virgin Shread thread?

PeggyO Fri 10-May-13 17:18:13

Helloooo Jillian Monkeys! I have been completley AWOL from the thread due to an ongoing series of injuries, most recently tendonitis in my knee. Ponks I really sympathise and am so glad to hear your knee seems to be holding up! I have just bought this bad boy and have an intense love/hate relationship with it - it hurts so bad and yet feels so good all at the same time...

Welcome to all the new Shredders! H&Mini, I used tins of tomatoes for ages before I got proper weights, and I've heard other people use bottles of water. Bottles might work well for you as you could increase the amount of water as you get stronger?

gingercat I am so impressed that you are nearly finished with BR at last! If you need a bit of a break after such an intense programme, maybe go back to some of your other Jillian DVDs but use heavier weights than you were before? Or throw a tougher DVD into the mix once or twice a week (a Bob Harper one maybe)?

Jackster do it do it do it! ES&S feels very different to the other Jillians to me but I have a real soft spot for it, it's lots of fun!

Happypiglet well done on surviving Shred L2, it's a real toughie.

Hello and sorry to everyone I've missed out, you've been far too busy for me to catch up properly!

Blimey it's been lovely and busy on here <waves to everyone> - sorry not to namecheck all...

Do want to say hi and welcome to Handmini smile

Bottles of water, tins of beans, even bottles of gravel are all great for getting going. You'll probably find you do want to progress to weights at some point but you'll still be doing good things without them!

When I did Shred the first time, I did 10 days at each level, as do lots of people, so pretty much as you're planning to do. You don't have to do it every day, so if the weekend or similar gets in the way don't worry about it. JM herself recommends at least one day a week off to let the muscles rest and repair, so enjoy it!

I did nothing today and boy I needed the rest. I ended up doing a few miles on the bike, just chores and things, but the wind was in my face and I nearly stopped and walked. I realised how tired my muscles were... I was irrationally angry with the wind!!

So they are thanking me for the day off grin
Will hopefully do the double S&S tomorrow...
(p.s. Jackster the way PeggyO described S&S is spot on!!)

Have a great weekend all smile

Ponks Fri 10-May-13 22:36:35

Ah, it feels good to be back doing workouts. After starting up again I've have that good used feeling in my muscles if you know what I mean. Tonight I did S&S L1 and it cheered me up no end - I would have gone on to L2 but need to take it easy with the knees.

Woah Peggy that is a tough looking roller! grin It's so grim having injuries isn't it?

Handmini I used tins of beans for a while before I moved on to weights - they do fine. I tend to exercise 2 or 3 days for a time then rest for a day. Though on rest days I do other stuff eg walking or riding.

gingercat well done on toning up so much (and you too notnowbernard)! Do you find you get bored on Body Revolution? I am intrigued by it but I like to mix up the workouts a bit.

bernard - Killer is fab, I found it tough and I think it was L2 that killed my knees - but it is an ace workout and I really enjoyed it. But if you are comfortable in a size 10 now I don't really think you can be all that saggy!

piglet I really like L2 Shred so think I must be bit odd smile. The first time I did it I collapsed onto my stomach after the plank twists so now every time I finish and feel OK it seems like a triumph. What I do with NMTZ is do a few circuits rather than the whole thing as it is that bit longer. Doing that also helps me have more strength e.g. for the planks and other abs routines which helps me do them better.

notnowbernard Fri 10-May-13 22:47:08

Ponks - bless you, you are kind but I have some serious wobbly buttocks happening

I'm happy with my size and weight I just want to be FIRM

grin

Happypiglet Sat 11-May-13 12:52:10

I have decided that total firmness post 40 is the holy grail...
Despite being a size 8 I still have a woobly bottom... flobbly bum my kids call me..
And I find department store changing rooms the most unflattering places on earth- its the lighting mirror combo... I do know how you feel.
However last time I seriously used JM I did get dents in the side of my buttocks...I want them back!
Alone with DC this weekend so working out opps limited- will take today as rest and may get something in tomorrow when DH back...

Ponks Sat 11-May-13 14:44:53

Just wanted to post a quick Yay! - been shopping as have to get an outfit for a party and I really do have nothing to wear - well I tried on lots of things in a size 12!! - and it felt amazing. It would have been unthinkable just 4 months ago. I've been so blobby and unfit for the last couple of years that I had lost interest in what I wore and how I looked. And now - what great motivation to keep going and push on to the next level.
grin

gingercat12 Sat 11-May-13 15:25:11

PeggyO I was considering Bob. Just do not know whether to relax a little bit. Maybe I'll just go down to 5 times a week.

Ponks I am not bored with Body Revolution at all. It is very varied. 12 different workouts and 3 cardio. I will definitely use it regularly, but only from workout 7 upwards. It is my top favourite dvd set at the minute.

Welcome Handmini! How can you even think about ecercise at 3 months post partum?! Superwoman!

Jacksterbear Sat 11-May-13 18:38:14

ponks and * gingercat*, well done on your clothes victories. You deserve to enjoy the new clothes and feel fab! smile

DD calling, will be back later to carry on post...

Evening peeps!

Ponks, yay! Go you! Inspiration like that gives you all the motivation you need to keep going smile

Notnowbernard changing rooms are a nightmare!! I never try things on in them. I buy, go home, try on and return

I bet you look great, but the lights, mirrors, stress of a shop changing room are always the pits. Look at the facts: you're a size 10!!!

If you are really despondent about your bum though, then Killer is the way forward! It will tone your bum, but it'sI also a fantastic overall workout too, so well worth getting.

Can I also propose extreme Shed & Shred. Definitely targets the bum and is such a fun workout. Probably lighter on cardio than some of her others, but it's now a firm favourite of mine...

After my day off yesterday, I did L1 S&S today. Was considering the double but just didn't have the extra oomph today to do it, maybe tomorrow. If not it will be something...

Everyone is doing great - when you're feeling down about bits and pieces, remember <channeling Jillian> just how hard you've worked smile

Happypiglet Sun 12-May-13 18:00:33

Hi all Managed to squeeze e a L2 Shred in today...slightly less stopping in the cardio but still soooo hard.
May have to get ES&S...altho CV is the area I really need to work on so maybe that would be a cop out!

HandMini Sun 12-May-13 21:26:47

Ginger - it's only because I know now that a bit of exercise lifts my mood way more than TV and chocolate!

I had a hilarious time doing Day 2 of Level 1 Shred in front of my baby (an admiring audience - she laughed and smiled and rolled around) and my toddler - who was bewildered, got down on the mat next to me for the abs session, then threw her apple at Jillian which meant the session had to be paused for two minutes for toddler time out and me wiping apple scum off the TV screen. Need to get them both to nap at the same time so I can Shred!

Jacksterbear Sun 12-May-13 21:27:51

Oops, got sidetracked last night and no chance to return to thread!

notnow and happyp, may I join you in the slim-but-a-bit-wobbly club?! grin

Did L1es&s for 1st time yest, enjoyed it, not too hard although was a bit confused in places, definitely harder to follow than any other JM DVD, but good fun.

happyp well done for the improvement with L2 shred; it's great to set yourself one small thing that you will do just a bit better every time you repeat a workout. smile

3steps, good as always to hear how you're getting on, and good pep talk!

X

Jacksterbear Sun 12-May-13 21:29:47

X-posted with you handmini, well done for sticking with it despite interruptions!

Happypiglet Sun 12-May-13 21:36:22

Jackster please do join the 'slim but wobbly' club....the more the merrier... As long as I look good dressed I feel that that is enough at 43.... Hubby likes the slightly firmer me tho!
Glad you enjoyed Es&S sounds fun.
Handmini my kids think my exercising is hillarious. Tonight all three of them tried L1 Shred...they now take me seriously tho...they were all out of puff and my eldest (9) is a soccer playing loon... Watching them try the strength moves was hysterical... Not good form!

HandMini Sun 12-May-13 22:41:28

Well, I just decided that if I was going to wait until they're napping / not here / being looked after by DP, I'd be waiting forever and the 30 day shred would take more like 30 weeks....so decided I'm just going to have to sweat it out in front of them.

Happypiglet Mon 13-May-13 09:42:59

I am lucky that mine are at school...but it all goes to pot in the hols!
L2 Shred again....I was determined not to stop in the cardio and managed that! But couldn't do all the strength moves...chair squats and lateral raises for a minute...agony!
Good luck to everyone today

Happypiglet those lateral v-raises are AWFUL!! Most of the time I have to drop my weights on the second time round as my arms just refuse to play!

I would definitely say E S&S is more toning than cardio, but you can up the cardio effort by adding the dreaded weights! I love the 2 moves (capoiera and jenga?) in the last circuit of L1 - in my head I'm a graceful but mean kung fu fighter grin

Had a fail yesterday. Got to the second last circuit of L2 and had a blood sugar drop, which I haven't had in ages. So had to stop which was annoying...

Not feeling 100% today really so may have a day off if I don't feel better later. Hopefully I'll feel okay as I need to take the day off yesterday and it's so much harder to get back into it with 2 days off in a row!

Hope everyone has a great day smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.