Stop Bingeing and Start Eating Healthily Thread

(1000 Posts)
SnowyWellies Thu 24-Jan-13 06:21:40

Would anyone like to join me? I am a yo yo dieter, a failed WW (could not bear the small portions) failed SW (went wild on Free foods) and I eat too much of the wrong sorts of food. I binge then starve and I want to get out of that cycle. I also enjoy my evening 3 glass of wine a little too much! I feel bloated, pasty, tired and I hate how I look in the mirror. I am about to hit 40, and I refuse to spend any more time hating myself. I want to deal with my psychological food issues, and I want to finally be the woman I am meant to be.

I am 5 ft 2 and weigh 11 stone 3.

My aim- to increase fruit and veg. To cut out wheat as I bloat very badly on wheat. To take as much care over my own diet as I do over the diets of my children and my husband. To not treat my body like a rubbish bin.

As of this morning. I am tired. My skin is pale and blotchy. I am very bloated in the stomach. I am aiming to lose 24 pounds, but want to do it properly and without feeling deprived. I want to make this process luxurious, with a focus on gorgeous healthy food.

Today's plan:

Breakfast - fruit and natural yoghurt with a drizzle of honey.

Lunch - home made carrot and coriander soup.

Dinner - fresh veg risotto.

I need ideas for delicious alcohol-free drinks. Currently I love a splash of grapefruit juice and soda water.

Anyone want to join me? The focus is on good food, and to deal with the psychological issues around bingeing and self hatred. I am not a psychologist, just someone who needs- and can offer support!

Weigh in days will be Mondays and Thursdays.

Emilythornesbff Tue 14-May-13 08:06:54

Up since 6:30 and with a wash on I'm sitting down to a skinny mocha while ds has his breakfast. Mmm.. What to eat? Must chose wisely.

Hazelbrowneyes Tue 14-May-13 08:40:25

Morning all,

Thanks Em I’m feeling loads better today. Hope you enjoy your NFD today.

Yesterday I had the planned curry (with chips) for dinner. It wasn’t a huge portion and I’d drank loads of water so I was feeling a lot better. Had 2 cups of tea, water & sparkling water as fluids yesterday. No snacks at all. Or alcohol. Woo.Hoo.

Jumped on the scales this morning (yes, the obsession is back) and 9st 1lbs. I’ve been here before and pretty much jumped straight back to 9st 4lbs so I’m not too excited but the numbers ARE going down.

I’m super motivated because it looks like we might have a holiday next month. Eep! Bikini doesn’t fit!! Neither do most of my summer clothes actually. Could be as close as 3 weeks until holiday. HELP. If I can get to 8st 10lbs in that time I’ll be happy but I’ve been trying to do that for a year without success. I saw photos of myself on holiday last year and they made me cry, I refuse to let that be the case this year.

I think I’m going to have to cut out carbs in the evenings, really concentrate on calorie counting and really up the exercise. I know I won’t be able to tone up too much in 3 weeks but anything is better than nothing.

Today:
B – croissant (not yet consumed, might not bother). It was going to be boiled egg but the egg disintegrated when it came out of the pan.
L – 2 pitta pockets with egg, tomato, cucumber and extra-light mayo. I’ll eat these over the course of the day to stop me snacking, hence thinking I might go without the croissant, save the calories.
D – Your guess is as good as mine! I don’t think DH got anything out of the freezer this morning so it’s likely to be breaded fish with veg. Dullity Dull.
S – No snacks. Max of 3 cups of tea, lots of water.
E – If I still feel this motivated when I get home, I might actually exercise for the first time since January!

Hope Tuesday is kind to you all xx

Emilythornesbff Tue 14-May-13 09:02:34

Hi hazel we have similar situations (although I'm still at 9st 4 sad )
Holiday next month.
I am determined to keep going and not be derailed by not reaching my perfect tatget. So even if I don't get to 9 st (still too big but alistic in the time frame) I have to stick to this WOE because 9st 2 is better than 9 st 6 IYSWIM).
Just had porridge with banana and cinnamon.
No idea about lunch.
Ds will have fish fingers for tea blush and I might have soup.

Hazelbrowneyes Tue 14-May-13 09:11:01

I would kill for a fish finger sandwich right now.

Where are you going on holiday? Holidays are such a great source of motivation aren't they?! Unfortunately I've only been at goal weight for one holiday sad so I've spent the others feeling very self-conscious in my bikini. Actually, I might invest in a tankini as I think the issue is definitely my self-esteem and lack of confidence more than anything else.

Don't do sad face at 9st 4! You've done SO well in such a short space of time. I'm so glad your WOE is working for you, I wish I could get it to work for me. Still, one step at a time. I've cut out sugar in tea which I never thought I'd do! grin

Bakingnovice Tue 14-May-13 09:21:24

Wow you lot are doing so well!

I'm ashamed. I did so well all day despite having a raging headache all day. At 7pm I fell into a veggie curry with naan and scoffed a homemade rock bun for afters! Carb overload. It was a really stressful day although that's no excuse. The minute I ate my headache just disappeared and I had a lovely evening. I feel so bad for caving but it's TOM soon and I'm angsty as we are about to offer on a new house. Also my exercising at the weekend has left me super stiff.

Goals for today: shred and lots of water. And only good good!

Last week of being super strict and back to 5:2 next week.

Hazelbrowneyes Tue 14-May-13 09:25:41

Baking did you read my weekend diary?! wink We all have days where we slip, it's natural and if your headache disappeared after having dinner then you obviously needed to eat.

You've got a lot going on so if 5:2 takes a back seat this week then it has to. I've heard about the shred...is it as hard as it sounds?!

I think you're doing pretty well personally smile

Bakingnovice Tue 14-May-13 09:33:09

Aw hazel thank you! I'm low carbing at the mo. cut out wheat sugar caffeine. It's a killer. Back to 5:2 next week as I did it last year and its good. I love shred but to be honest I never lose weight using it. I tend to tone up and it lifts my mood. It's hard but by day 3 the aches disappear.

Sometimes dieting is such an emotionally exhaustive thing to do! I'm just glad I had a blip on Monday. I've got tillsaturday to reverse the damage. Thanks for your encouragement!

Emilythornesbff Tue 14-May-13 10:49:04

It's only a blip bakingnovice don't beat yourself up.

Hazel, we're going to Turkey. You?
I really miss the days of being super slim. But I resolve to enjoy my holiday (after recovering from the journey with two dcs under 3!) it's crazy to think I can't have a nice tme just because I'm not the perfect weight
smile
I don't think shred is for me.walking into town with pram today but if possible I might get a swim in. Exercise is really tricky to fit in ATM.
Onwards and downwards fellow volutionaries.

Emilythornesbff Tue 14-May-13 10:50:05

Poo. Raining. Not out for a walk then. Hardly fair on babythorne.

Hazelbrowneyes Tue 14-May-13 11:20:30

We can't do a whole week due to work commitments so 5 days somewhere...I think we'll probably do Spain or Portugal as it's a short flight and the weather should be pretty good. Just need to get DH to confirm what dates he can do. I'm really fancying Italy though so I might spend my lunch hour having a nosey at what deals are about grin

I'm sure you'll have a fab holiday smile

Have purchased some fruit for this afternoon. Really weird, this time last week I was at the van buying chocolate and crisps, today I didn't even look, just went straight for fruit. New mindset? Hopefully.

The rain is ruining everything. I'd thought about going for a run but I cannot bring myself to enjoy running in the rain! I may use a Davina DVD instead tonight.

iheartshoes Tue 14-May-13 11:53:09

Morning girls sounds like everyone is doing pretty well, hazel and emily of your holiday. Holidays are the best motivation. Not been very good past few days I'm ashamed to admit but trying to be more controlled today. Not going to weigh again until friday as i think my poor loss last week got me denotivated. Had a croissant and skinny cap for breakfast about 1030 not too hungry now so might try and skip lunch. Fish and salad for tea, water and coffee for drinks and poss a diet coke and some crudités later. This weather is so flipping depressing.

iheartshoes Tue 14-May-13 11:53:28

Meant to say an jealous of your holidays !!

Bakingnovice Tue 14-May-13 12:31:09

Emily we went to turkey in feb and going again in oct. really lived it. You lucky girl.

Emilythornesbff Tue 14-May-13 16:03:32

Well done on your fruit buying hazel. Any of those destinations would be great I reckon. Never been to Italy or Portugal.

iheart it's astounding how strongly weight loss / lack of loss affects motivation levels isn't it?

Yes baking (always feel hungry when I type your name) it's lovely. Bit worried it might be too hot for the gooseberries but lots of sunscreen and shade should see us all right.

Hazelbrowneyes Wed 15-May-13 08:36:12

iheart your planned menu yesterday sounded v. healthy! I agree though, this weather is so depressing. I just want sausage and mash!

I appear to have booked a holiday. I don’t know whether I should weep with relief that I am finally getting a break from work or weep over the fact I’ve got 3 weeks to lose a stone (in an ideal world).

H.E.L.P.

Weighed myself again this morning – still 9st 1lbs so perhaps not a fluke yesterday. At the very least I’d like to drop to 8st 10lbs. 5lbs in 3 weeks is doable, right?

Yesterdays food:
B – None
L – 2 pitta pockets with egg, tomato, cucumber and extra-light mayo.
D – Breaded lemon sole with oven chips and peas – I wasn’t going to have the chips but my veg supplies are lacking a bit at the minute and we hadn’t booked the holiday by this point!!
S – Fruit. 2 cups of tea, water, sparkling water, 1 small glass of orange juice.
E – None, ended up being shattered and spent the whole night deciding where to go on holiday.

Today:
B – soft boiled egg, slice of best of both & small glass of orange juice
L – 2 pitta pockets with cheese, tomato, cucumber and extra-light mayo.
D – no idea. Cupboards bare, fridge bare. Forgot to get out chicken, tuna or prawns from freezer. Doh.
S – no snacks. 3 cups of tea max & water
E – Determined to exercise tonight. I think I might dust off a Davina DVD. I always used to enjoy those.

I’m considering ditching the carbs in the evening completely because last time I did this; I lost 7lbs in 4 weeks. I think if I manage to work exercise into that as well then 5lbs in 3 weeks is definitely doable.

Alcohol is definitely off the cards at the moment. We have a nice bottle of red that we’ll share over the weekend, but I’m planning on limiting myself to one night of drinking a week. I have no meals out planned over the next 3 weeks so that shouldn’t hamper my efforts either.

What else can I be doing, wise revolutionaries?

Emilythornesbff Wed 15-May-13 09:43:43

hazel that's great. Where are you off to?

I would say 5lb is doable but not guaranteed.
So remember that you are going for a holiday, not on a weighing competition.
Tips?:
avoid bread <don't shoot me, you know it makes sense> and other refined carbs
No snacking (talkinpeace is fanatical about that one)
Drink a large glass of water before every meal.
Eat slowly and enjoy your food
Stay off the wine defo. I've had to for ages as was pregnant and now ebf and it makes a huge difference not just to my calories but also my resolve.
If you exercise make it enjoyable so it relaxes you otherwise you will over eat.

Oh, and don't binge on hols or you'll be undoing all that good work.
Good luck.
Em

Hazelbrowneyes Wed 15-May-13 11:02:07

Thanks em. Off to Spain. We've been there before, loved it so it seemed daft not to. Plus we got a complete bargain grin

Thanks so much for the tips

avoid bread <don't shoot me, you know it makes sense> and other refined carbs I can do this <ignores the pittas for lunch and the slice of toast this morning> I'll swap my boiled egg for omelette or no breakfast. I'll say bye bye to the croissants too!
No snacking (talkinpeace is fanatical about that one) I'm doing ok at no snacking now, only causes me a problem if I'm with friends or family so I'll become a hermit for the next 3 weeks
Drink a large glass of water before every meal. Brilliant idea, will start that today
Eat slowly and enjoy your food I do this anyway, annoys everyone grin
Stay off the wine defo. I've had to for ages as was pregnant and now ebf and it makes a huge difference not just to my calories but also my resolve. I can easily do this during the week but the weekends are my downfall. We often meet up with friends and I usually drink a fair amount blush. I am not missing out on the delicious bottle of red though, but I'll probably only have a glass of it.
If you exercise make it enjoyable so it relaxes you otherwise you will over eat. good idea. I need to use the x-trainer that is currently serving as a clothes horse but I do find it a bit dull. Love Davina though. Oh and the dance games on the Xbox grin

Oh, and don't binge on hols or you'll be undoing all that good work. I do tend to binge on tapas and sangria, I have to admit! I do lots of walking though.

I can do this! Have just got some fruit so I can have that just before I go home and then get straight on with the exercise. I think I've just found my motivation!

iheartshoes Wed 15-May-13 11:25:43

Defo stay off the bread and wine if you can and heaps of water. You can do it !!
Menu today
Breakfast - coffee
Lunch - 3x ryvita with ham and cream cheese and cucumber
Dinner - we have nothing in apart from fish fingers and oven chips. Hmmmm. I have some home made soup in the freezer which I might have just so hard to have soup without a nice crusty roll and butter...
Snacks - there is a piece of carrot cake sitting in the cupboards looking at me....
Going to try and really up the water. Weighed myself this morning (I'm addicted...) but happy...another 1.5 lb down ...

Hazelbrowneyes Wed 15-May-13 11:44:12

iheart glad I'm not the only one addicted to the scales! Congrats on 1.5lb loss!

Your menu looks good, I'd have the fish fingers because they are so scrummy. Can you have the soup with ryvita instead? Or have the fish fingers and chips but not the carrot cake. smile

Stillstarving Wed 15-May-13 12:01:50

Hi everybody, haven't been on here for ages. Good to see you're all doing so well keeping at it! There are some really impressive losses!
I'm having a go at the Paul McKenna Gastric band. There's a lot in it about eating only when you're hungry, paying attention to what you are eating and stopping when you're full. Those are the habits I need to make since I'm trying to throw off the old bad habits. I've made good progress on eating 3 meals a day and I'm still working on exercise - making progress. I'm hoping the Paul McKenna thing might help me with cracking the eating I do that has nothing to do with hunger. That's my real problem and if I don't beat that I'm not going to make any real difference long-term. It all seems a bit mad but I have a friend it has really worked for so worth a try!
I love the sound of all the holidays!!

Emilythornesbff Wed 15-May-13 12:35:23

Well done iheart

Hi stillstarving the PM thing makes sense. Good luck with that.

hazel Spain will be so fab. Am envy of anyone drinking. Enjoy your wine and sangria.

Hazelbrowneyes Wed 15-May-13 13:05:06

stillstarving It makes a lot of sense. Good luck.

I've had lunch, only had 3 out of the 4 halfs of pitta (you can't get much filling in them can you?!) and I'm stuffed. Uncomfortably so, actually.

Very tired today, going to drink lots of fluids in the hope it wakes me up a bit. I've figured out why I'm tired though...I dreamt last night that I ran Race for Life, so dreaming of exercise has knackered me out grin

Must motivate myself to actually exercise tonight, I'm sure I'd be less tired if I actually moved a bit more! Thinking of getting a pedometer as I'm sure that I walk a lot less than 10,000 steps a day. I definitely want to up the exercise, it's just so easy to sit all day at work (desk job), send staff to make me tea blush, then get home and collapse on the sofa. I reckon somedays I potentially do under 1000 steps blush

Oh, I've found some slimming world notes (given to me by a relative, I've never quite understood the red/green/syns) thing in a random drawer at home...I might have a read through them tonight.

Emilythornesbff Wed 15-May-13 21:45:20

Hmmmm
I was going to fast today...
But went out for lunch with an old friend to introduce her to new dd.
So today:
B. skinny moccaccino
L. Tuna melt panini, slice of cake and 3 mugs of tea blush
D. Lentil broth and an "options" hot chocolate.

Now I have to decide whether to fast tomorrow or Friday.
Might, might, might go to the gym tomoz of I can get up at 6 shock
What are the odds?

Bakingnovice Thu 16-May-13 08:51:13

Iheart - well done on the loss!

Hazel - if you cut carbs you will loose, and drink more water. But to be honest you've not much to lose and if you do cut back drastically you might find you gain quickly on holiday. Try up the exercise instead of dieting, that way you won't regain it all.

Stillstarving - would love to hear how you get on with the gastric band. Sounds good.

Emily - you seem to be doing so well. Did you get to the gym?

As for me, after Mondays mammoth fail I've been v good. But it's Thursday and I've still not lost a bean. It's TOM this weekend and I feel bloated but I hope I lose something! Oh and have done the shred again so am back on track with that so I suppose the week hasn't been a complete waste.

Hazelbrowneyes Thu 16-May-13 08:58:38

Good morning all!

How are we all getting on? Haven’t heard from some of you in a while. I miss my fellow revolutionaries!

Em, for lunch out, it doesn’t sound like you did too bad! No breakfast and a healthy dinner, I bet you consumed fewer calories than you’re imagining! Really want to know what cake it was though wink
Did you make the gym this morning?

Yesterday:

B – soft boiled egg, slice of best of both & small glass of orange juice
L – 2 pitta pockets with cheese, tomato, cucumber and extra-light mayo.
D – Seared salmon fillet with salad.
S – Fruit. 2 cups of tea. Water. Diet coke. Lime and soda.
E – Err. No. Well, I did some weights which is better than nothing I guess

So last night, we ended up going out for dinner as the only thing we could cook was chorizo pasta and I concluded that seared salmon fillet with salad would be healthier! The most amazing thing though…I usually down near on a bottle of prosecco when I’m there…well this time I stuck to soft drinks grin

Stepped on the scales this morning and 9st 2lbs. Damn. I’m thinking it’s a blip wink Must stop weighing myself everyday though, it’s not healthy!

I’m considering a mini-fast today but I find that when I start thinking about food, I end up feeling hungrier. Boo.

The plan though:

B – none. I have a croissant in my drawer if I want it but I don’t think I will.
L – mugshot. 271kcals. See above about the cupboards being bare!!
D – Tuna steak with chilli rice. I’ve convinced DH to do me cauliflower rice instead of normal rice. I’m intrigued as to what it’ll be like.
S – I will probably get some fruit for a mid afternoon pick me up. Had 1 cup of tea so far, will have 1 more max. I’m loving it without sugar, I have to say! Otherwise, water and maybe a glass of squash tonight.
E – the dreaded “E” Who knows? I’m not going to promise myself I will do some because that blatantly hasn’t worked in the past. I’ll see how I feel tonight.

I reckon I can probably come in around 600-650 cals today which would be good.

This thread is not accepting new messages.