Stop Bingeing and Start Eating Healthily Thread

(1000 Posts)
SnowyWellies Thu 24-Jan-13 06:21:40

Would anyone like to join me? I am a yo yo dieter, a failed WW (could not bear the small portions) failed SW (went wild on Free foods) and I eat too much of the wrong sorts of food. I binge then starve and I want to get out of that cycle. I also enjoy my evening 3 glass of wine a little too much! I feel bloated, pasty, tired and I hate how I look in the mirror. I am about to hit 40, and I refuse to spend any more time hating myself. I want to deal with my psychological food issues, and I want to finally be the woman I am meant to be.

I am 5 ft 2 and weigh 11 stone 3.

My aim- to increase fruit and veg. To cut out wheat as I bloat very badly on wheat. To take as much care over my own diet as I do over the diets of my children and my husband. To not treat my body like a rubbish bin.

As of this morning. I am tired. My skin is pale and blotchy. I am very bloated in the stomach. I am aiming to lose 24 pounds, but want to do it properly and without feeling deprived. I want to make this process luxurious, with a focus on gorgeous healthy food.

Today's plan:

Breakfast - fruit and natural yoghurt with a drizzle of honey.

Lunch - home made carrot and coriander soup.

Dinner - fresh veg risotto.

I need ideas for delicious alcohol-free drinks. Currently I love a splash of grapefruit juice and soda water.

Anyone want to join me? The focus is on good food, and to deal with the psychological issues around bingeing and self hatred. I am not a psychologist, just someone who needs- and can offer support!

Weigh in days will be Mondays and Thursdays.

Stillstarving Sat 20-Apr-13 11:27:48

Well dinner was had and drink was taken last night. It was lovely, had a fish starter and main and no dessert and about a bottle of wine... Could have been worse! Trying to avoid the munchies today is a little trickier. Homemade soup for lunch will be a good start.
Hazel I weigh constantly. I agree it isn't a good habit because I get very downhearted. Exercise will be our friend. I can't and won't go on holiday with this poor body looking like this. I'm considering the shred. Does anyone else fancy it?

Emilythornesbff Sat 20-Apr-13 11:42:00

A bit scared of super level exercise. I reckon it makes the bicycles beckon. Raging, packet ripping style grin

Emilythornesbff Sat 20-Apr-13 11:44:50

Biccies.

Bicycles?? Now that IS a binge.

Stillstarving Sat 20-Apr-13 22:35:18

Yes emily step away from the bicycles grin

Utter disaster today. The buttered digestives even made a reappearance. No good, can't do a diet with a hangover, even a little one. It's the tiredness really. Have to start again tomorrow. Blasted weekends!

Emilythornesbff Sun 21-Apr-13 01:24:59

grin

stillstarving how about starting tomorrow with a high protein breakfast and avoiding sugar to reduce your cravings.
Lots of water - talking to myself now too, sobad at water, it's ridiculous.
Good luck. You can do it.

SlimFitWellies Sun 21-Apr-13 08:11:43

Morning all. Stillstarving I am also starting again today, so let's do it together. smile I ate like a maniac at the bbq, and DH decided he preferred to drive so I drank alot too. Calorie free drinks for me today. Plus a veg day. DH gets stomach troubles if he eats alot of meat, so at his request today for dinner we are having lots of raw veg and homemade hummus.

I need to up my water intake too. i rely a bit much on diet soft drinks on my no-alcohol days.

twinklestar2 Sun 21-Apr-13 10:03:59

Hazel I'm feeling the same about the hot weather. Want to be able to wear clothes comfortably.

Emilythornesbff Sun 21-Apr-13 10:42:26

It's a lovely day.
Let's resolve not tonvereat.

BambieO Sun 21-Apr-13 11:58:30

Deal, no overeating here smile

Stillstarving Mon 22-Apr-13 10:43:02

Yesterday was better but not brilliant. I was definitely bingey in the evening - 3 Galaxy cake bars anyone?? I've got to crack the weekends or I'll make no progress. Back on it today.

Hazelbrowneyes Mon 22-Apr-13 11:34:58

How was everyone's weekend?

1lb loss last week. Boo. However, not a surprise given the fact I had a huge lunch, followed by Chinese for dinner on Saturday and a lot of wine Friday and Saturday. At least it was a loss and not again.

Yummy roast chicken for dinner yesterday. Back on the wagon today.

I didn't calorie count over the weekend (too bloody scared!)

So, today

B - boiled egg, 1 slice toast, sparkling water
L - thai style mugshot
D - spag bol - either a tiny amount of spaghetti or I'll have the bolognese with salad.
S - I have no snacks with me but I'm miserable today so I know I'll go out to the lunch van. I need to avoid crisps and chocolate and stick with fruit. I realllllly fancy a chicken and sweetcorn wrap though. I could have that instead of the mugshot I guess.
Drinks - 2 cups of tea, water.

I'm going to attempt exercise tonight. Gulp!

Let's make this a good week for weight loss!

Emilythornesbff Mon 22-Apr-13 13:36:04

Hi hazel. It's probably too late but you should swap your mugshot for the wrap. If you enjoy your food you're less likely to compensate by bingeing.
Although I enjoyed myub lunch yesterday and still ate too much ice cream in the evening. sad so it's not foolproof grin
I used my pm trick (apart from the Haagen Dazs incident) with my weekend food: eat slowly, leave some on the plate etc. and it made me feel better anyway.

Toast and marmite for bf today.
2 cream crackers for lunch (just too busy for anything else.
Oh, and I've ordered mugshots in my grocery shopping which arrives tomorrow. Very excited!
Dinner? No idea.
Keep up the good work. I'm off to the gym <smug emoticon>

Hazelbrowneyes Mon 22-Apr-13 14:49:48

Much too late Em grin

As it happens, the van didn't have any wraps and I didn't fancy a roll. I had thai-style mugshot instead and I'm glad I did. SO yummy. Higher in cals than the chinese-style but really, really nice. I've just wolfed down some fruit. Feeling good actually!

I've stopped eating until my plate is clear too. Instead I'm listening to my body and when I'm no longer hungry, I stop eating. Of course, last night I wasn't hungry when I reached for the hobnobs but I'd ran out of wine and needed comforting grin

Enjoy the gym!

SlimFitWellies Tue 23-Apr-13 08:27:10

Morning all. Aother day where i am trying to get back into the swing of things. [sigh]

berry smoothie
lentil soup
raw veg sticks and spicy guacamole

have good days everyone!

Hazelbrowneyes Tue 23-Apr-13 09:27:07

Morning all!

I’ve had a look on the 5:2 thread on here and there’s a link to a TDEE calculator TDEE
My TDEE is 1655. I want to lose 7lbs in 4 weeks. I need a defecit of 875 calories a day. shock That gives me 780 calories a day. Weep. 5460 calories a week. So if I do 2 fast days, I have 4460 calories for the rest of the week which is only 892 a day. I'm currently eating around 1350 cals a day.

How the chuffity-chuff can I do this then? Any ideas?

Anyway, I didn’t listen to my own advice and stepped on the scales again this morning…back up to my starting weight. So I’m not happy. That’ll teach me for having a lardy weekend!

Yesterdays food diary: was pretty much as planned actually.
B - boiled egg, 1 slice toast, sparkling water
L - thai style mugshot
D - spag bol – actually with fusilli grin
S – Fruit (melon, pineapple, grapes), 3 cups of tea, 2 lime and sodas, water. Oh and 2 crackers with cheese because I didn’t get home until 6.15 and had to rush straight back out to the doctors. I was STARVING and I needed food!

MFP puts yesterday at 1326.

Today –
B – boiled egg, 1 slice toast, sparkling water
L – pasta with leftover chicken
D – no idea yet. Something with chicken.
S – I have none with me so I’ll probably get some fruit again. I’ve already had 2 cups of tea so I’m going to try to just stick with water for the rest of the day. I do have a mugshot with me incase I work really late today, in which case I will class that as my dinner.

I’m slowly cutting sugar out of my tea – I’m down to ¼ of a teaspoon!

No alcohol this week. Alright, until Friday. I’m at a friends for dinner Friday night so I can’t be in control of what I eat either. I’d drive but it seems churlish to refuse their amazing selection of red wine wink

I do need to exercise. That absolutely has to be this weeks goal.

twinklestar2 Tue 23-Apr-13 09:30:54

Hey girls I've not been posting but I've been reading. I'm doing ok. Was 10st 11 this morn but official wi is on Friday. Keep going girls!

Emilythornesbff Tue 23-Apr-13 10:35:43

Hi twinkle well done.

hazel don't be down hearted. The trouble is, when we're denying ourselves nice food we'll always end up bingeing at some point. I thin I' doing great one minute, totally in control and loving how I can say no to a ice cream or cope with feeling a bit hungry then BAM! Half Aaron of cereal down my neck!
I truly be
I've that portion control is the key.

My mugshots have arrived so I'll be giving one of those a go today I think. Not sure about 5:2 now (maybe because I'm ebf and sleep deprived) I wonder if, like going for a run, it leads to excessive intake either side of he fasting day. I also wonder if it's a more "male" way of losing weight. They seem so focused and less likely to eat out of boredom or stress etc. (massive generalisation, glad I'm not posting on aibu grin ).

Going to get out for a good walk in the sunshine today, do some yoga, up my water and avoid snacking.
Bf: oatie muesli, coffee
L: ooooh, maybe a peri peri mugshot and an apple.
D: Risotto (small portion)

Bugger! Just realised I forgot to order apples.

SlimFitWellies Tue 23-Apr-13 10:41:30

Morning. I am too scared to try 5:2 for exactly that reason, Em- I am worried I will massively binge on non-fasting days. But I know it really works for some.

Emilythornesbff Tue 23-Apr-13 10:51:39

Hi slimfit
I did wonder whether 6:1 might be fun grin

SlimFitWellies Tue 23-Apr-13 11:15:21

grin

I was briefly thinking of doing a pure liquid/soup day twice a week 'to give my system a rest', which i guess amounts to the same thing, but i have such disordered eating as it is, that if I just start to eat like a normal person that would be an improvement!!

Hazelbrowneyes Tue 23-Apr-13 11:23:08

Actually Em I've been wondering the same. DH doesn't seem to crave food like I do and he doesn't eat out of boredom or the need for comfort. Now if only he could apply those principles to his intake of alcohol wink

I think I need to change my mindset where food is concerned. I feel horrendously guilty if I eat something nice, then I eat more of it because I'm feeling guilty, then I think "meh" and eat more. GAH.

I hope you like the mugshots! I haven't tried the peri peri ones.

Today I'm on my feet for most of the day so if I still have some energy tonight I might go for a run, if I can get over the embarrassment - I'm an awful runner blush

Good luck today everyone!

Stillstarving Wed 24-Apr-13 08:20:01

Haven't been here for a day or two - really struggled to get back on it after the weekend but have realised PMT was part of the problem. I need to watch for that in future because I really was eating rubbish, too much of it and stuff I didn't even want. Definitely bingey rather than hungry. I tried 5:2 at the beginning of the year and it definitely linked in with my wonky attitudes to food. In some ways it was a huge freedom not thinking about food on the fast days - made me realise how much I do judge everything I eat - but on non- fast days I completely overate. I'm convinced I need to sort out using food as something other than just food before I do anything like that. Regular meals is the way for me I think and trying to work through why I want to go off the rails and sabotage myself. I do know it usually has precious little to do with hunger and if its not hunger food won't fix it. It's tricky.
Anyway meals planned, calories counted. Onwards and downwards.

SlimFitWellies Wed 24-Apr-13 09:21:05

Morning all. I am struggling too, Still. Today is a veg and no-alcohol day (but will have 2 in a row as i have drinks on friday).

b- just had a big bowl of lentil soup as I was starving!
l- falafel wrap with lots of veg
d- to be determined.

I am not weighing myself until May 1. I just hate to look....

Emilythornesbff Wed 24-Apr-13 16:32:31

Hey fellow revolutinaroes.

hazel the mugshot was tasty. Probably good for work i thought.
Not a particularly healthy day. I am hungry and very tired. But no bingeing.
Need a fasting day i think but i a worried about being able to manage if i get really hungry. Having to make food for others makes it more difficult i think.
Hey ho
Onwards and downwards.

SlimFitWellies Wed 24-Apr-13 18:18:59

Stuck to my plan today. Dinner was avocado, grated carrot, sliced cucumber, chopped mint and coriander wrapped up in lettuce leaves. It was delicious!

Have had a day of it though and am wishing I could have a glass of wine rather than the peppermint tea which awaits!!!! Never mind. I just have to be strong. Onwards and downwards.

This thread is not accepting new messages.