Question Thread for New Year Bootcampers

(783 Posts)
BigStickBIWI Mon 07-Jan-13 16:14:54

As there are so many of us doing this, the chat thread is moving pretty quickly - and it means that lots of questions are being missed.

So here is a specific thread you to post any questions you might have about Bootcamp or low carbing.

Wheresmylifegone Sat 02-Feb-13 09:23:12

BIWI that video was brilliant!! I was completely hooked all the way through & am verging on the evangelical now. Thanks so much for posting the link - everyone on LCHF should watch it. thanks

BIWI Sat 02-Feb-13 09:26:38

It's great, isn't it? I can't remember who first posted it now, but I think it should be required watching for all Bootcampers!

Yama Sat 02-Feb-13 09:33:52

Dh is doing quite a lot of reading about fat and cholesterol (he's the sciencey one out of the pair of us). Anyway, studies have shown that high cholesterol in women at all ages reduces the risk of stokes, heart disease and many other diseases.

The only group with an increased risk with high cholesterol is men in their 40's. I'd imagine there are other factors involved.

Sorry, I'm not explaining it well as I'm using my memory of what dh tried to explain to me.

I feel I've been lied to all my life.

Oh, and here is an interesting titbit. The gall bladder needs fat to keep it functioning.

It's all about the rights fats of course.

Yama - the gall bladder thing I think is really important. Friends of mine lost lotsif weight relatively quickly on SW and had to have their gall bladder removed. The reason was because thy had not enough fat in their diet!

Yama Sat 02-Feb-13 09:40:54

Yes, I know loads of people who have their gall bladders removed or who suffer gall bladder type pain. All probably on low fat diets/ways of eating.

BIWI Sat 02-Feb-13 09:42:40

If your DH is sciencey, then he will probably really appreciate two books:

Gary Taubes "The Diet Delusion" (Called Good Calories, Bad Calories in the US)

and another book by two authors whose names escape me, called "The Art and Science of Low Carb Living" or something like that.

Yama Sat 02-Feb-13 10:45:29

Thanks BIWI, I'll steer him in that direction.

I must compile a list of all that he has read/studied.

BIWI Sat 02-Feb-13 13:17:50

Go and have a look at the spreadsheet - there's a tab there with lots of other resources that the fabulous Willie has collected for us all.

... Ahem... I have a little bit of information you may, ahem, find of use ...<sidles up to BIWI and any other LC fans in the vicinity>

Young and old veg: the young veg is just being dug now, so smaller swedes and celeriac, thinner and paler carrots.. These are young veg and have a lower carb count than the old, which is...

larger, fatter (in the case of carrots and parsnip), it is also a stronger colour... And it will contain a higher level of sugar so the carb count will be higher.

So on this WOE always go for the new season veg!

<Skuttles off into shadows under cover of various titbits of useless information gathered from a career spent checking interesting facts that are seldom of any use in RL>

Good info kitchenfairy, thanks

<respect>

BIWI Sat 02-Feb-13 20:25:42

Fabtastic! Thank you.

Tis my pleasure, think it makes sense but forgot to say the larger and fatter veg is the old stuff, bet avoided at this time of year as v sugary and carby.

nappyaddict Sun 03-Feb-13 23:08:29

That's interesting about the carrots. I like those little chantenay carrots. Would they be young veg?

captainmummy Mon 04-Feb-13 08:25:05

That's interesting Kitchenfairy - I assumed that the young ones would be sweeter, as the older ones less so. Only becasue the young ones taste sweeter,juicier, and tastier by far. The old ones always seem more starchy, which i suppose is a carb. Maybe the young ones are more full of water?

I also noticed that the turnips i've bought recently are not purple any more, they are green and white.

the thing you have to be careful about with carrots etc is that they are heavier by volume, so it's easier to consume 100g carrots than it is 100g lettuce. so you could easily eat quite a high number of carbs in a portion of carrots

i do eat them every now and then, but only a small amount and not very often

Fascinating thread. I have some questions if I may for the lovely BIWI or anyone else who can advise?

I don't need to lose any weight, am 9st 1 and 5ft8 or 9 or so, so BMI is about 19. But there is a strong history of type 2 diabetes in my family occurring in 40s for people who are slim and exercise - they are mightily pissed off at this! (GP reckons could be something autoimmune going on as we all have dicky thyroids as well). Given this, a lower carb style of eating reducing the body's insulin requirements and creating more stable blood sugars sounds like a good and healthy choice for me.

But... I want to go straight in at the maintenance stage as it were, no initial weight loss. Does this mean I do not need to go into the early intense ketosis stage, as I don't want to burn up my body fat?
Obv though I do want to fuel myself with the fat I eat, I presume if there aren't enough carbs for fueling the body knows to crack on and burn up the butter and cream instead?

What sort of level of carb intake might be sensible? I was thinking of pretty much eliminating bread, rice, pasta, spuds, and flour & sugar based things, but not worrying about the onions vs shallots, and not restricting things like carrots, beetroots, peas etc, and having occasional fruit (say an apple and a few blueberries a day, I don't eat much fruit anyway, I prefer veg).

And I would really need convincing that my porridge and cream is worth removing as I blardy love it! What do oats do to blood sugars?

Am also breastfeeding a toddler who still feeds a lot if that is relevant.

Thank you knowledgable ones!

BIWI Thu 07-Feb-13 20:43:32

If you haven't got fat to burn, your body will just burn the fat that you are eating. Not a problem!

You do need, though, to switch your body from carb-burning to fat burning, so a week or so of strict Bootcamp won't hurt you.

Given the effect that carbs can have on your blood sugar, you're better off without them anyway!

Have you done any reading about low carbing? Given that you have a specific health concern, I really would recommend that you do. Try Gary Taubes, "The Diet Delusion" - it's a weighty tome, but really worth reading.

colette Thu 07-Feb-13 22:14:27

I have a new question - is there a maximum amount of cream I should be having ? I have only rediscovered cream and have had half a tub ( about 120ml) of double cream this evening alone . Cooked it with leeks and in coffee , wonderful but am craving more confused

thanks ( in expectation)

BIWI Thu 07-Feb-13 22:16:16

Atkins says no more than 2-3 tablespoons a day - although I don't know why he limits it!

I think the key is knowing whether or not you can tolerate dairy. See what happens. If you aren't losing any weight, cut it right down/out.

colette Thu 07-Feb-13 22:31:05

Thanks Biwi and that was a really prompt answer !

MrsHoolie Thu 07-Feb-13 23:45:26

I have a question...

If I make cream cheese pancakes,what can I have on them?I will miss the lemon &sugar and Nutella!

And I don't really like cream unless it's cooked in a sauce.

captainmummy Fri 08-Feb-13 09:05:17

MrsH - i often make the cream cheese pancakes, and use them more as savoury wraps. I fill them with ham/mushrooms/chciken or chopped brocolli, roll up and cover with cream. Bake topped with cheese. This is my usual vegetarian-day meal.

But no, Pancake day will not mean lemon-and-sugar! Or nutella! If you are maintaning I suppose you could roll up with a few berries, and top with whipped cream or FF yog?

BIWI Fri 08-Feb-13 09:07:38

Cream isn't compulsory!

KKKKaty Fri 08-Feb-13 11:41:11

Just read the Briffa book which was a complete eye-opener. I started low-carbing earlier this week but I have a question or two, if any of you knowledgeable types can help me?

Is it necessary to start with an Atkins-type VV low carb period? Briffa doesn't mention doing it. If I just stop eating all pasta, bread, cake biscuits, grains, rice etc etc and stick to the guidelines of allowable/non-allowable foods in the Briffa book then will I automatically start losing weight?

Briffa says to stick to the allowable foods 80% of the time. Does this mean that if I eat a couple of slices of pizza or a potato at the weekend I will be back to square one?

Lastly, if I have a couple of glasses of white wine in the evenings, having been really good and eaten no carbs at all all day, will I still lose weight, albeit a bit slower maybe?

Many thanks, oh wise ones.

hi kkkkaty

briffa's book is a really good place to start with low-carbing, as you say it gives a really good background and argument for this way of eating (WOE). however, quite a few of us have found that while his eating plan guidelines are great for long-term health and maintenance, unless you are strict with the frequency and portion control of things like nuts it's not necessarily so great for weight loss. for many of us, the level of carbs in his plan is just a bit too high to be in ketosis (which is what we are aiming for on bootcamp)

that may not be the case for you, however, and you may find that if you 'just stop eating all pasta, bread, cake biscuits, grains, rice etc etc and stick to the guidelines of allowable/non-allowable foods in the Briffa book' that you lose weight at a rate that is satisfactory for you, and in a way that is sustainable in the long term too

one of the reasons why bootcamp starts with a two-week strict period (similar to atkins first stage) is to switch your body to burning fat for fuel, getting you used to low-carb eating and breaking the cravings for sweet flavours and carbs. if you don't do this, you might find it harder to stick to your new way of eating in the short and longterm, as you may well still crave carbs through experiencing continued blood sugar level changes

when you are at maintenance, the idea is that you reintroduce carbs slowly until you reach a level of carb intake where you maintain weight (rather than losing or gaining). for everyone this is a different level, and will probably also vary in terms of what type of carbs (e.g. root vegetables such as potatoes might be better tolerated than grains such as wheat, or things like sugar). while you are trying to lose weight too, real life interferes, and you may choose to mindfully go off-plan for reasons of politeness or celebrations etc - on infrequent occasions.

however, i don't think any of us who have been following a low-carb way of eating for a while would advise going off-plan, at least during weight-loss period, to the extent of eating potato and/or pizza every weekend. if you did, you would risk the following:

- gaining several lb (probably of water weight, but possibly fat too) which you would then spend the next week losing, only to do the same thing the following weekend. this is quite an unforgiving way of eating in that respect

- knocking yourself out of ketosis, so you stop burning fat, and it can take several days to get back there

- creating blood sugar highs and crashes, which will in turn lead to...

- reigniting carb cravings which make it harder to stick to the WOE in the longterm

- eating things which, if you've read briffa, you'll know don't actually do you a whole lot of good health-wise

- feeling bloated, sluggish and uncomfortable, and possibly interfering with sleep and hormones

regarding alcohol/wine, my understanding is that although it doesn't necessarily knock you out of ketosis (depending on the carb content of whatever it is you're drinking), but the body will burn alcohol for fuel as a first choice, which means that you're not burning fat. on bootcamp, we stop alcohol for two weeks. after that, you can have some low-carb alcohol, but not too frequently. some do have a glass or so a night, but they tend to be those who are maintaining weight rather than trying to lose

i hope this helps, please do ask any other questions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now