All new Not Quite NT thread - 2013 for weightloss and answers

(49 Posts)
madwomanintheattic Wed 02-Jan-13 05:45:38

Weigh in tomorrow chez mad.

<peers round for not quite NT-ers>

madwomanintheattic Fri 11-Jan-13 00:15:11

Aw moose. sad are you sure it's not just a fatty tumour? (Can't remember what they are called) brown dog has one sort of under one armpit (you know what I mean) and it's also pretty big... But supposedly harmless... Fingers crossed for the vets. Our last dog (a kleine munsterlander) had a tumour in her intestines and it was really very awful for everyone, including her. Keep soothing x

Lol at chip shop - I read it first as 'gluten free' chip shop. I'm like 'wow, there's clever!' blush

Dd2 had a choking episode at school at lunch. The TA had to do the Heimlich manoeuvre and it was a bit of a side show by all accounts, so dd2 was teary all afternoon. I left work early to make sure she was ok once she got home. Poor wee mouse. Her teacher called me to get some background info (and obv tell me what happened) but it's all on her file. And they aren't going to give her closer support when she's so variable. She did admit that it was a bit of a salient reminder for all of them that she is more vulnerable than they generally assume, though, so I think that's a good thing... I mean, in the UK I made sure that everyone who supervised was trained in dealing with choking incidents, and it was written into her statement, but there isn't that capacity here... (Well, there is, but only for the most complex kids, and she's so generally capable that she tends not to fit the framework for extra support in those terms....)

Ah. I'm very tired. I'm going to have a wee sit down and a cup of tea (and the very last slice of Christmas cake). And then it's done. I've got to go grocery shopping later, so there will be fruit and veg ahoy. With a side of protein.

moosemama Fri 11-Jan-13 16:35:11

No, it's defninitely not a lipoma. She's a lumpy dog in general, always has been. She has atopic dermatitis and malassezia pachydermitis, which is a greasy fungal skin problem with paws, ears and skin folds. She also gets lipomas, cysts and odd warty things, but this is clearly a proper tumour, with a really strong blood supply. sad

I LOVE Musterlanders. There were two attending the canine studies course I did when we first moved to Lancashire - gorgeous dogs.

My boxer x gsd had fibrosarcoma of the hock. Vets misdiagnosed and screwed up the biopsy during the foot and mouth crisis. They said it was low grade and harmless, I disagreed and argued, they refused to agree it needed 5cm clean margins when it was removed. It came back within 8 months, as I predicted, because cutting a fibrosarcoma actually encourages it to grow. The first time it was removed was the week I found out I was expecting ds1, it grew back big enough to be visible to the eye when I was 8 months pregnant but had grown big enough to rupture by the week after he was born and he died when ds was 10 days old. They took him in for xrays to assess metastasis prior to leg amputation and found every single organ was riddled, so we had to make the decision that they shouldn't wake him from the anaesthetic. sad

Re chip shop. It was actually a gf chip shop until a few months ago. It was family run and they had a coeliac family member, so kept a fryer completely separate and had gf batter - twas great. Unfortunately they sold it on and now it's only gf on a Wednesday night when they change the oil.

Oh my goodness! Just read down your post. Poor dd2, I hope she's ok - and you for that matter. As you said, hopefully it will at least serve as a reminder that they need to be taking her needs more seriously. I'm surprised they aren't going to supervise meals more closely - surely it's a safe-guarding issue?

I've had another ridiculously hectic, odd day. Been worried about ds1 for a while now. He usually doesn't sleep well, takes hours to to get to sleep, then sleeps lightly for a few hours and is up at the crack of dawn disturbing the whole house. Since Christmas he's been really exhausted and lethargic and we've been putting it down to stress. Then last week he started to literally fall asleep as his head hit the pillow and sleep really deeply. Usually if I go in their room at night he will ping awake, but I have been able to go in, put washing away, tuck him in etc and not even a stir. He's also been unable to get up in the morning, even ds2 has been getting up before him. He looks ghostly with big black puffy rings under his eyes. Seems to have been getting worse by the day, but no other symptoms - except a he's told me a few times over the past couple of days that the world seemed to suddenly slip sideways, as if the ground suddenly tipped up and he seems to be having episodes of completely missing parts of conversations.

I have mentioned it to school a few times and his LSA has said he's been exhausted and struggling there as well, but she kept playing it down. Then this morning he simply couldn't walk to school. He insisted on going, but clearly wasn't up to it. We got outside and he said his lunchbox was too heavy to carry. I was limping slowly and he said he couldn't walk that fast. I said I wanted him to stay home, he tried to have a meltdown, but didn't have the energy. Managed to get to school (had to take ds2 anyway) and he really looked like he was going to collapse any second - still arguing all the while that he wanted to go.

I had to go to assembly this morning, as ds2 is star of the week, so I suggested he come to assembly with me and see how he went - no dice. So I took him to the office to ask to see his old teacher from last year and see if she could make him see sense. Got in there to find his LSA signing in. She agreed he looked awful, but again said "oh, it's just the start of term" etc. She did suggest he went home, again no dice. So I suggested to her that he come to assembly with me and between us he agreed.

He only lasted until ds2 had his certificate (about ten minutes in) and he clearly couldn't hold himself up in the chair, constantly yawning and positively transparent in the face. So at the first hymn, I tried to take him out - another attempted meltdown, but I managed to bundle him into the hallway. Lots of tears, but I pulled rank and he went to fetch his stuff. Got home and called the GP, who happened to have a cancellation in an hour's time. Took him in, GP took one look at him, listened to what's been going on and sent us straight to the hospital for bloods. He said he's not sure, it could be stress, but he wants to eliminate physical causes before making that call.

Ds broke down as soon as we left the GP's room because he didn't want the bloods done and he really hates the emla cream (sensory). He wailed and sobbed and carried on - no talking to him.

Then the chemist screwed up and lost his emla prescription, so he was left ranting away in the car with dd and grandma for almost an hour, while I stood up on my bad foot waiting for them to sort it out. angry Mum was grey by the time I finally came out - poor woman.

Raced home, threw some lunch down dd and raced her to nursery with seconds to spare. Then went home, stuck on the emla and went to the hospital, where first of all they kept us waiting for an hour - so the emla had worn off and then they informed me their new policy is not to do kids and they would try once then, if it didn't work, we'd have to go to the city paeds dept an hour away for a paed phlebotomist. hmm Fortunately he gave blood generously and was surprised at how little it hurt.

Took him to the local garden centre cafe for a milkshake on the way home for being brave and he fell in love with a teddy, which Mum promptly bought for him and he is now curled up on the sofa cuddling it, along with his rather manky, one-eared, precious 'Bunny'.

What a day! Another day with no time to eat. Managed to grab a banana on the way to the hospital in lieu of breakfast and lunch and grabbed some maltloaf somewhere along the way. Now have 1,000 calories left for tea!

madwomanintheattic Sat 12-Jan-13 02:10:41

Poor ds1, that sounds like a nightmare. Hopefully it's something reasonably simple - he isn't anaemic, is he? Definitely a good call to get the bloods done. Will you get the results on Monday?

I am loving gf chip shop!

Poor wee doggle. What a week you're having. <sigh> Will be thinking of you tomorrow for the vet appt x

moosemama Sat 12-Jan-13 11:19:20

angry Dh didn't book the bloody appointment and now they can't fit her in. angry She seems bright enough in herself today fortunately and has happily scoffed lots of treats.

I don't think ds can be anaemic unless he's not absorbing properly, as he has a really good quality multivit every day and a spatone sachet every other day.

Doc said 2-3 working days for the results, so to try Tuesday afternoon, but might be Wednesday.

We've put off dd's birthday day out today to give him chance to rest up for another day. Fortunately we hadn't told her which day we were going.

He's still really pale and tired, but was definitely better after an afternoon of being spoiled and looked after by both mum and grandma. My gut feeling is that it is stress, especially as he seems better the longer he's away from school.

There's been some playground stuff going on with truth or dare and nasty consequences that's really been upsetting him. The wider group have been using the game as a way to single out and embarrass the more vulnerable pupils without being accused of bullying. Which is interesting, because I was reading a book about bullying the other day that had a chart of the escalation of bullying, how it starts, builds up and gets more and more serious etc and he was us to the stage before hazing - which this sort of game fits the criteria for. I am going to print it out and give it to his teacher from last year, as she's the only one I can trust to take it seriously and actually do something about it.

He still won't tell his LSA or teacher though unfortunately. They keep telling him to tell an adult when he has a problem and have identified 4 possible members of staff - the only one of whom he trusts is the least available, being his teacher from last year. When I saw her yesterday she was insistent that

"There's nothing worrying you,^is there ds1^?. I spoke with him yesterday and he was fine, ^weren't you ds?^" hmm

So, yet again I had to explain that he isn't comfortable confiding in school and there is only one teacher he will speak to etc. Of course she wasn't having any of it.

I think he feels vulnerable and unprotected at school and spends the day worrying about what is going to happen next whilst simultaneously trying to hold himself together so that he doesn't do anything socially inappropriate to mark himself out as different even ore and/or get upset and cry or have a meltdown. It's no wonder he's exhausted. sad

madwomanintheattic Sun 13-Jan-13 05:13:10

Oh bless him. It does remind me of the whole GAPS diet thing, you know, and I think absorption can be affected by stress, too?

Poor doggle. Can you get her in on Monday? Was dh suitably chastened?

Ds1's ski instructor dislocated his shoulder 5 minutes into his ski lesson today... Fortunately someone on the same slope saw what happened and called ski patrol, so ds1 got to see the ski patrol in action and skied down with them with his instructor on a stretcher sledge... They found a replacement instructor, and the poor guy is going to be out for 3-4 weeks. Unfortunately this also means our first work-related injury for the not-for-profit, so I'm thanking my lucky stars that I signed up for the workers compensation insurance... Sheesh.

moosemama Sun 13-Jan-13 17:52:05

I think dh is in denial about the dog to be honest, he seriously did not like her when she was a pup (she was very naughty) but her endearing nature has grown on him over the years and he often refers to her as 'my dog' these days.

She was happily chasing a ball around the garden amidst all the ice this morning. First time she's perked up in days and she behaves like a lively puppy again. confused Dh has to call tomorrow to see if they can fit her in in the evening, as they are fully booked - again.

We've been out to the butterfly farm and lunch at a coeliac friendly restaurant as dd's birthday treat today. Ds1 wasn't well enough to do the steampunk/automata/kinetic art museum as well, so we've put in on the list to do at a future date.

Restaurant was fab, definitely one to add to the list for ds1. It's so hard to find places that even do gf bread for sandwiches, but this place has loads of gf options, including several desserts. He was delighted to have a toasted sandwich with salad and a side order of chips, followed by a fresh, warm, blueberry and coconut muffin. He can even go there for afternoon tea, complete with tiny sandwiches, cakes and gf scones and cream! shock Mind you, it wasn't cheap for 5 of us - but then it never is these days.

I gave myself the day off from my diet, given that I almost never go out to eat with the family and I didn't want to be a diet bore. Didn't eat masses, but not good choices. Mozzarella, tomato and pesto toasted ciabatta and salad (although it only had a tiny scrape of pesto) followed by chocolate and hazlenut torte. No tea tonight though and only plain porridge for breakfast.

Poor ski-instructor - but how exciting for your ds to see all the emergency rescue stuff in action.

madwomanintheattic Sun 13-Jan-13 22:45:22

grin yes - and the ski patrol dude told him he'd make a great ski patroller, so he was made up. grin

Glad doggle is feeling a little better, if only briefly... Fingers crossed fr tomorrow.

Lunch sounds great! We went out for brunch and I had some eggs Benedict thing, but t was twitchy, Si don't feel too bad.

Weighed in at 11. 7 1/4 (!)

So I have lost nearly 2 lbs... Not sure hw!!

moosemama Mon 14-Jan-13 12:50:26

There you are then, career path mapped!

No vet appointments today - Wednesday. sad

Added up yesterday's calories as best I could using mfp and it came in at approx 1900, so not totally binge-fest material, but still. blush

Right, weigh in:

Monday 7 January 2013 - 175lbs = 12st 7lbs
Monday 14 January 2013 - 171lb 2oz = 12st 3lbs 2oz

Not too bad considering yesterday's intake.

I have spent the whole morning baking for dd's 4th birthday tomorrow. Am doing a Hello Kitty face shaped cake, plus a big batch of cupcakes with swiss meringue frosting and moulded HK faces on. I've baked all the glutenised ones, and moulded the cupcake toppers, but now need to bake a batch of gf for ds1.

She wants in indoor picnic - again - and I have just realised we have zero picnicy-type food in, so will have to send dh to the supermarket tonight, which won't go down well, as he's really twitchy about money this month. hmm

Haven't wrapped her presents yet either. Eek!

MRI tomorrow afternoon - at school pick up time. hmm Dh has booked the afternoon off to pick dd up from nursery and get the birthday tea stuff ready and we're just doing grandparents and us, so in theory I shouldn't be running round like blue bummed fly, but somehow I still am. confused

TheLightPassenger Mon 14-Jan-13 18:26:37

oh lord sounds like a scary weekend all round,

madwoman, poor DD2, how frightening for her (and you).

moose - sorry your dog is poorly, best wishes for the appointment on Wednesday. Hope that DS's blood tests come back clear. I do wonder if the emla cream makes things worse as it prolongs the whole about to have a blood test scenario - mind you I am lucky that on the rare occasion DS has had bloods done I can take him to the paed phlebotomists, who are v v quick and good.

best wishes for the MRI tomorrow.

TheLightPassenger Mon 14-Jan-13 18:27:04

weigh in 12 stone 10 from 12 stone 12. going in the right direction SLOWLY!

madwomanintheattic Tue 15-Jan-13 02:14:11

It got worse, TLP. Dd2 had the mother of all meltdowns on Sunday night and was hysterical, begging not to have to go to school on Monday. <sigh>

Needless to say, she went, and was fine, but honestly, you would have thought we were trying to persuade her to have her legs cut off. <sigh>

All good tonight though. grin

Thinking of you for tomorrow, moose. Xxxxxxxx

TheLightPassenger Tue 15-Jan-13 17:48:38

poor DD tho, understandable she was shaken up and anxious.

hope you are OK moose x

moosemama Tue 15-Jan-13 18:55:46

Thanks for the well-wishes.

Blimey, what a day. Dd's birthday, out to lunch at her favourite cafe, then rushed her to nursery then off to the city hospital for my MRI, then back home for her party.

MRI dept kept me waiting for an hour after my appointment time. I was nervous, but not awfully, as I knew it was the open scanner. They finally took me in and told me it would be 10 minutes, then left me in a little cubicle next door to the scanner room. The lady in front had some sort of SNs and kept pressing the abort button, so they had to keep restarting her scan. Ended up sitting on my own in my little box for half an hour, listening to the scanner, with it bringing back all the stress of my last scan, which was horrible. By the time they took me in I was red in the face and really nervous.

The open scanner is definitely better than the tunnel, but still pretty claustrophobic, as you are still positioned with your nose almost touching the machine and you can't see out - whereas with the tunnel you have a periscope so you can see the scan operator.

At one point I thought I might have to stop the scan, because I was having such awful twitches and I felt like I was going to have a seizure, but thankfully it didn't happen.

Came out of there with a humdinging headache and lost vision in my right eye (always a sign of trouble) and had to race back across city traffic to get to dd's birthday tea.

Still, a couple of cocodamol later and I am fine, glad it's over and even more convinced I never want to have another mri in my life. grin

Dd has had a lovely day, she loved her Hello Kitty themed tea party/picnic and all her presents - not to mention being the centre of attention all day!

Madwoman - your poor dd. As TLP said, it's understandable that she would be anxious after what happened last week. Glad she was ok when she went in though.

TLP, well done on the weightloss. Perhaps this is going to be our lucky thread, weightloss wise.

moosemama Wed 16-Jan-13 16:20:55

Ds's blood results are back.

Thyroid normal, ESR normal - no sign of virus or infection.

Apparently his creatinine levels were off - not sure in which direction - but the GP didn't think it was anything to be concerned about. Just googled and creatinine is usually low in people with low muscle mass and given that ds has hypotonia, I'd say that probably explains it. It can be an indicator of kidney problems, but he has none of the symptoms (other than exhaustion), so that's reassuring. (Actually one of the more common symptoms in insomnia and he has the opposite of that at the moment.)

So, sounds like there's nothing physically wrong - as predicted. Which backs up our point about the stress he's under as a result of school not supporting him properly and because he's finding the playground/social stuff harder and harder.

Tried to get a follow up appointment for him and they had nothing until 28th January! FFS! angry So I now have to call every day at 8.00 am to try and get him into a cancellation slot.

I was going to book myself a double appointment to go over everything that I have going on, but not much point in trying if appointments are that scarce - especially when you factor in the added component of me needing someone to give me a lift there, so having to co-ordinate with either Mum or dh's diaries. hmm

madwomanintheattic Thu 17-Jan-13 14:35:14

I'd be going the other way and booking it so that it's in the calendar, however far away... Otherwise you just end up in limbo again...

Well done for getting through the MRI. smile

Dd2 is still kinda stressed. Up in the night last night, which is rare, tbh. And I've had a series of emails from school asking fairly interesting questions - apparently she has been talking about homeschooling. grin. And school are worried about whether they are supporting her adequately. Which is kinda nice, but I don't know what to say in response, really. I need to go in and chat again, but it's finding a time. I'm working Sunday, so need to take one day off next week, so will try and fit it in there...

Am knackered. But tomorrow is Friday.

moosemama Thu 17-Jan-13 19:26:15

Poor dd2. Sounds promising that the school are interested in supporting her better, but what a way to go about getting it!

Dh was late home, so ended up missing the vet appointment. I think he really is in denial and I might have to take it out of his hands, although the dog has actually been much brighter this week, so I'm not so desperately concerned for her immediate health as I was. To be honest, I don't think we'd put her through treatment anyway at her age, so as long as she's happy and comfortable, there's probably not much more they'll do. Still want to get her in asap and properly checked out though.

Had a meeting with the head of ASD inclusion today. I was really nervous, as we both know there is nothing more we can do to make the school properly support ds and it's clear that they are barefaced lying to her and the LEA about what is happening and even going as far as covering their backsides with dodgy paperwork. angry BUT it was actually a really good meeting. Turns out she wanted to broach us considering the independent school for ds and was really pleased that we'd already come to the same conclusion re mainstream. LEA officer told dh last week that this lady has the most influence on placement and it's pretty much what she says goes and she said out of all the schools she is aware of, she can really see ds at this particular school and is therefore very happy to support our application.

Also found out the EP has indeed been contacted by the Paed and asked to get involved in ds's case again for support with his school related anxiety and hopefully across transition. No-one had told us the paed had actually made the call as promised, but the EP had emailed the inclusion lady to ask for a meeting to discuss/plan his care.

So, we're basically in the situation of having to accep that the school is never going to support him properly. We could go to LEA to get them to force implementation, but realistically we know this will lead to Judicial Review, by which time he'll be well into transition. So failing that all we can do is haul him through the rest of this school year as best we can and try our best to make sure he is supported emotionally/anxiety wise, either via EP or some other form of psych intervention. Not ideal, but we are at a dead end and we need to focus on getting the next placement right to avoid the same crap happening all over again in a new school.

Diet wise - it's been a disaster this week, between dd's party food lying around calling to me and me being too busy to prepare meals for myself, I have skipped meals and eaten cake instead on far too many occasions. blush

I have a free day tomorrow! shock It's bound to be a school snow day now though - just to make sure I don't get a break. Started snowing at school pick up today and is predicted to continue through the weekend, with temperatures well into the minuses. Apparently we are to get about 20cm, which has the dcs ridiculously excited, although I suspect would seem like a light sprinkling to you! grin

madwomanintheattic Fri 18-Jan-13 00:29:12

grin
Well, as you know, we've had to do a fair amount of writing off of school years here and there, so I think I would be concentrating on the next placement... It sounds like a cop-out, but you have to pick your battles. If you think you can get a make-shift plan in place on the anxiety side that is manageable for ds, then at least you know it's less anxiety than would be caused for you both by continuing to fight/ flounder...

Sounds like a useful meeting anyway.

Ds failed to get himself to climbing tonight. <sigh> apparently the bus driver dropped him off at the old climbing gym, and he didn't know how to get to the new one from there, so he walked home. I'm kinda pleased that he made it home, but less pleased that he didn't remember where the new gym was, as he practically walked past it on the way. So now I have to go down there at pick up time and look like a loon, so that they know he is indeed coming next week. That's the first two he's missed, now.

Am eating pizza. Say no more.

moosemama Fri 18-Jan-13 09:53:11

I think you can be forgiven the pizza. What a week!

I so didn't want it to be Friday today, I'm sure it's supposed to be Saturday by now.

Ds1 and dd were daftly excited about the snow this morning, whilst ds2 was just disappointed it wasn't a snow day. hmm grin

I'm thinking they may close early though, as it's happened before, the snow has really speeded up since school run time and the wind is getting up now as well. We have amber alert for a 'blizzard' here today, which is hilarious compared to the weather conditions in other countries, but has caused mass panic buying leaving no milk or bread in the shops. There was literally a couple of cms on the way to school this morning, absolutely no need to panic buy food fgs. hmm

Our LEA has closed all the special schools and kept the mainstream ones open. I guess that's to let their own transport bods off the hook and possibly because the majority of children won't be local to the schools.

madwomanintheattic Fri 18-Jan-13 14:12:27

grin
Lol at the panic buying. They do know it melts, right? grin

I used to love snow days in the UK. grin. Enjoy it while it lasts!

moosemama Fri 18-Jan-13 14:34:52

Got an email from school saying we could collect from 1.15. Dd goes in at 12.15 and was desperate to attend.

Decided to go up there as usual and we were the only people there! Waited ten minutes with dd upset and insisting she didn't want to go home, then started to walk back and met two other mums and kids on the way. So, we all walked back together and peered through the door. Teacher came out and said no-one else had turned up and they hadn't seen me. We suggested we just leave them there for an hour and then collect early.

Went back at 1.30 to a scene of complete chaos. There was a massive queue to collect kids via the office - bearing in mind there are over 400 children at this school. Nursery said they'd keep dd while I waited for the boys to save her standing in the cold, so stood in the queue for 15 minutes only to be told once I got to the front, that Juniors had to be collected from their normal exit. Got round there to find several other 'Junior Parents' who'd had exactly the same thing happen to them. They could have put a sign up ffs! angry

As predicted ds1 is not happy, they were doing fun stuff as it is Friday afternoon anyway and half the class wasn't there, not to mention he obviously doesn't like the change in routine. So now I have them all home and ds1 and dd (who hardly slept last night and spent much of it in our bed) sniping at each other every two minutes. <sigh>

Snow is lovely though, up to about mid-shin depth now and still going strong. We even saw a snow-plough going up the main road. Ok, it's more snow than we're used to, but still not cause for panic or school closures, imho.

TheLightPassenger Fri 18-Jan-13 15:47:16

a busy week all round! glad that the secondary placement issue seems to be going v well indeed Moose. and positive really that the bloods threw up nothing, as there would be no reason dietwise etc for him to be low in iron etc.

hope that your DD2 feels a little less like homeschooling Madwoman, sounds like her and school are still somewhat shaken...

moosemama Fri 18-Jan-13 17:35:46

How are things with you TLP?

TheLightPassenger Fri 18-Jan-13 19:16:31

feeling tired fat and headachey. DS is a bit more anxious than usual about dark etc, job stuff is Meh, re possible redundancy (recent negative developments today).

moosemama Fri 18-Jan-13 20:52:36

Oh no, I was hoping things would have been resolved on the job front for you by now. sad

Seems a lot of our dcs are very anxious just at the moment. Sorry to hear your ds is struggling too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now