Happy New Year! Happy New Paul McKenna Thread Number 11. Healthy Weight Loss Without Restricting Your Enjoyment Of Food! Come Join The Paulettes For Support And Chat.

(980 Posts)
GoodKingWenSOLOslas Tue 01-Jan-13 03:58:46

Welcome to thread 11 of the Paul McKenna's I Can Make You Thin weight loss system.

The Golden Rules that will aid you on your journey with our like minded support system are:

1. Eat what you WANT
2. Eat when you are HUNGRY
3. Eat CONSCIOUSLY
4. STOP eating when you are satisfied and full

This weight loss system is about re-educating your body; learning to listen to it and in doing so losing weight and inches. After all, eating a meal is not a competition.
Many people have issues around food. Many of us have been brought up by the 'clear your plate' parents of yesteryear which leave us feeling guilty if we leave even the smallest morsel of food, but we are working through this guilt or any other hang up we might have, and we are learning to leave a bit on the plate; return to it another time if we really want to or even feed it to the dog or the bin!
So!! forget diets; they may work for a while, but they aren't permanent solutions. This is a new way of living for your brand new life!!

The Paul McKenna system really works and is easy to maintain.

I've C&P'd our previous threads links as they are helpful.

Here are the book choices on AMAZON which is all you need to get started! they aren't compulsory, but they do help! it's something to refer to and listening to the cd's can really focus you.

This is the tapping technique EXPLAINED - this can be useful to combat cravings.

You don't have to buy the book and CD, but we have found that they do help and somehow they keep you on track, so it would probably be a good investment and will cost you far less than a couple of trips to WW or SW meetings, so do consider having them in your life.

Please feel free to join us, whether it's 10lbs or 10 stones you want to lose.
We are friendly, supportive and successful, but we're not hungry OH NO we're not!!! so come on in and start living your new life today and make 2013 your year to drop a dress size or several.

ppeatfruit Mon 11-Feb-13 09:53:41

aws morning grin Everyone is different so A types like me are good with some carbs but wheat gives me constip. so I don't eat ANY of it (if I can help it grin)There is a book out called Wheat Belly by Wiliam Davis M.D. which is frightening about the effects of wheat on our health.
DH is really bad with it and becomes a nicer person when he doesn't eat it. hmm he is an O type and they SHOULD eat meat. A types are better with very little white meat and fish and plenty pf fruit and veg. Obviously it's more complex than that but I have no aches and pains when sticking to it so I love it grin.

Dottiespots Tue 12-Feb-13 00:00:38

Thanks pp. Ooooo I can do bold now, go me. he he. Yes Im readingWhy We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. Havnt read Wheat Belly yet. But I have understood for some time the impact wheat and modern convenience foods etc have on the western diet. It is believed to be responsible for the sharp rise in the last 30 years of many serious illnesses. I definately feel better when I dont eat wheat or grains. Just so much lighter in myself and my tummy feels "empty". Not in a hungry way but in a light comfortable quiet way. I will have days of course when I eat some wheat like when my husband takes me for Pizza or when we go to Waterstones and have coffee and cake etc. I actually was brought up without many carbs or starches so I think my body works better without them. Still PMing though, like you, just tailoring it around whats best for my body.

Dottiespots Tue 12-Feb-13 00:04:31

Vampygirl and Cupcake.....where are you and hows it going?

ppeatfruit Tue 12-Feb-13 09:34:04

That's great aws grin I find P.M. works well with eating like I do because IMO it's to do with HOW we eat rather than what we eat .

Although if you listen to the CDs P.M. does say that when we can eat anything at all we DO make healthy choices; the problem with that approach is that a lot of our modern 'foods' have so much sugar and salt in them (put there deliberately by the horsemeat type manufacturers) that we get used to them so we can't taste anything without a load of sugar and salt in it, and CRAVE them.

Dottiespots Tue 12-Feb-13 20:26:05

Yep pp...So many people eat ready meals and processed food nowdays and dont cook from scratch much anymore. I have always tried to cook from scratch every night as did my mother. To be honest my husband wouldnt eat ready meals anyway. I always have bowls of fruit, toms, peppers, loads of broc and salad leaves, carots, veg etc in the fridge. My freezer is full of frozen berries, meat, veg, ice and some cheeky pots of haagan daaz which Im fine with as I prefer my icecream as pure as poss. I have tried making it but Im not very good. O and I have huge pots of priobotic yogurt and lots of nuts and seeds. So.....although I dont eat loads what I do eat is good stuff (like you). I do think of food as pleasure as well as medicine. But am not adverse to chocolate and the occasional biscuite. ha ha.

chinhealer Tue 12-Feb-13 20:52:39

Hi awsangel,

Well that's a decent list of good carbs that you will be eating! I'm not worried for you now!

Yes, I fully concur about the need to rely on oneself. Which the rules have helped me to do. I never knew I had it in me to be so 'disciplined'. But, actually, that's the wrong word. Because I don't feel that it is taking any kind of willpower or discipline beyond following the rules. (Which is, really, easy as lemon-squeezy!) All I needed all these years was the right strategy to avoid overeating. Restricting food intake according to the dictates of diets or calorie allowances or food faddhishness was never going to work for me. But doing it in this completely natural, sensible and hugely enjoyable way IS working wonders!

Oh, and thank you so much for your kind words re. my website and healing work. Yes, with that, too, I try and teach people to heal themselves rather than simply depend on me or on anything external. (Although, of course, I never tell anyone to do anything that goes against their doctor's/consultant's advice. I really don't see what I do as an alternative. Much more as a complement. Or an option once medical science hits a brick wall! Although, ideally, I wish more people would seek out healing before they are desperate and looking for a last resort miracle cure!)

Dottiespots Tue 12-Feb-13 23:15:46

O I totally agree. Too many people feel that their health is nothing to do with them but to do with Doctors and Hospitals and Governments when really its everything to do with us. The choices we make, the foods we eat, the research we do when something ails us and what we use to cure ourselves. ie homeopathy, herbal, meditation, exercise, affirmations,cosmic ordering, food.

Dottiespots Tue 12-Feb-13 23:17:19

he he.....yes I know to some cosmic ordering seems off the wall but to me its all good.

ppeatfruit Wed 13-Feb-13 10:26:17

Blimey aws and chinhealer it's nice amazing to talk to people who actually feel like me!!! shock I remember going to the one decent doctor in our group practice many years ago and I mentioned that I eat for my health and she said "well you're one in 350.000 in our practice!!"

I've heard of planting by the moon but not of cosmic ordering for health aws tell me more I'm willing to learn!!

Dottiespots Wed 13-Feb-13 18:49:50

pp look up cosmic ordering on the internet. There are books on Amazon and even Noel Edmunds credits it with turning his life around. Its about asking and expecting the life you want and getting what you want (good things though) . You have to just put it out there if you want it. Too few people realise it or truly belive it. grin

Sorry to ask this in the middle of your cosmic conversation, but can I ask some advise?

Dress for mother of the bride...... I am a bit scared of the "style and beauty" threads,, so thought you might be able to help me out. I am about a size 20 now, I think. I am getting a dress made for me, so have a free reign on what design I like. I don't want to look as if I am wearing a tent!!
Thoughts so far:
Calf length
maybe a floaty type of "over" material with a lining
Maybe a crossover type effect at the top and going under my boobs. I like this one I like the cross over effect (although close up I think the stitching looks a mess on this one especially for that price!! ) I like the way the cross over goes into a button tie thing at the back. I would need a flat back to that I can wear a bra.
Oh and "cap" sleeves, but long enough to cover half way down the tops of my arms, floaty like.

If you think this sounds terrible I can take it from you lot, so that's fine. I was just scared of the people I imaging used the style threads - I imagine size 8, perfectly groomed people who dont understand that we are not all elegant and poised!

Any suggestions for hiding my large tum, but accentuating the bits that are better. I am better from the ribs up and the knees down!! Waist to knees is a bit of a disaster area!!

Oh and I am going to get a nice pair of shoes made to go with the dress, too. wink

Suggestions gratefully received. Dress maker has been met and she is lovely. I am going to get her to make me a few pairs of 3/4 length trousers and a dress that actually fits me so that I can see her work before she does the "big one!"

Many thanks, anyway.
I had lost another 1lb last week, so still heading in the right direction just It's getting incredibly hot here now, so I don't feel like eating so much, just drinking plenty, but then sometimes it is too hot to even go outside, so I am not so active as I should be.

Dottiespots Fri 15-Feb-13 01:34:40

Positive that looks lovely. Its like a tea dress. Dont know if I would have cap sleeves though. Maybe a three quarter length sleeve in see through material. More flattering than a cap. And then you wouldnt need a jacket.

Dottiespots Fri 15-Feb-13 01:44:17
Dottiespots Fri 15-Feb-13 01:46:03
Dottiespots Fri 15-Feb-13 01:50:05

and good structured shapewear to hold you in going right up to under the bust and down as far as you need depending on your thighs. .Showing off the smallest part of you which is just under the bust is a good idea and then the material can flow over the tum. If you have slim legs and are an "egg" shape then dont have the dress too long. Maybe just under the knee. And a nice pair of little heels, tan and a nice piece of jewellery hanging in the cleveage to show it off.

Cupcake1982 Fri 15-Feb-13 08:22:52

Hi pm ladies smile
I've been away and just got back so haven't really got going with pm but am ready to get started!
I've put on 4 lbs over the last week or so sad
Any advice welcome smile xx

ppeatfruit Fri 15-Feb-13 10:13:59

Good morning all grin Positive I LOVE that shorter Millie dress, that's a good plan to get yr dressmaker to make other stuff before the "biggie". Is your DD having bridesmaids? because I'm thinking about my DD's 9 bridesmaids (i don't want to look too different IYSWIM)

I actually bought a dress in Devon last week which is pretty, the 2 layers are lovely exactly the right colours, to match the jacket which may be necessary if the weather is a bit 'off' (esp. for you positive if you're used to tropical heat it'll feel like the middle of winter in London even in a warm summer grin) my dress is too big though, I could have it taken in if DD likes it, it cost £10 shock it's new but in the sale from a 2nd hand shop so you'll understand why I bought it!!

cupcake The 'chew each mouthful' rule for 15 to 20 times really helped it click for me. Also I like to take a snack pack (of chewy foods like walnuts and apple and figs etc.) and bottle of water with me whenever I go out. For when I'm really hungry.

aws I prefer the bust of positive's dress to the Boden's though they are pretty maybe not quite special enough for MOB's (i'm sure you won't be offended!!)

ppeatfruit Fri 15-Feb-13 10:16:57

I must tell you that DD2 is being bridesmaid this weekend to her friend who's a C list celebrity; the bride is in a white meringue and the required 8 bridesmaids are wearing black shock shock!!!

Hi just marking my place. Nothing much to tell. You have dropped off my 'threads I'm on' list so didn't want to lose you for good.

Been a bit busy and doing jury service for the last 2 weeks. Going to see the PIL tonight - we rent a house near them as they don't have the room and it is too far to go for less than 3 nights anyway.

Postive - that is a really lovely website you linked too and the dresses are gorgeous. I think you would look lovely in either of the dresses you link to. Cross over tops are very flattering. I would have to have longer sleeves probably mid upper arm and loose but I have unfortunately inherited bats wings so they need covering up. That's me though. I tend to find even women who are heavier than me have better arms so I am sure you do too! I hope your dressmaker does the business for you.

Thank you all so much for your input. Yes, I agree about the sleeves and the length. I will keep you posted on my quest. just a flying visit to MN tonight as i have tonnes of work todo, so must get to it, sorry!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 15-Feb-13 12:56:51

Cupcake - my advice is to re-read the book and follow the rules exactly. And don't beat yourself up, just start again smile

Without wanting to upset anyone, all this talk of blood groups, cutting carbs and so on does detract from the central principles of Pauling which are the 4 Golden Rules.

1. When you are hungry, eat.
2. Eat what you want, not what you think you should.
3. Eat consciously and enjoy every mouthful.
4. When you think you are full, stop eating.

The brilliant thing about I Can Make You Thin, is that unlike any other diet book, or way of eating it address the emotional reasons for eating and gives you tools to overcome them.
Part of that is not spending so much time thinking about food and worrying about what is good and bad, what you can and can't have.

I think once you've got the system cracked then it is fine to realise that certain things don't agree with you and eliminate them if you wish, but initially follow the Rules and do some of the exercises in the book and you will definitely get results.

I've lost about a stone and nearly 2 dress sizes following this method, and more importantly my relationship with food has been transformed. I no longer eat through guilt or boredom, although I haven't yet found a way to avoid the eating-too-much-when-tired thing! grin

I have to agree with Ali.

My concern is that all this talk of other diets might be putting people off joining the thread and giving Pauling a go. It shouldn't be more complicated than the 4 rules. Nobody has to cut out anything. If the doctor has advised you to cut out certain foods from your diet due to IBS or whatever then of course you should but it isn't necessary for Pauling or for weight loss.

I most especially agree with the eating when tired thing. That is a real bummer! grin

I just hope my MIL doesn't run us ragged next week and we can all have some down time to recharge the batteries.

ppeatfruit Fri 15-Feb-13 14:53:20

It is nice for people to know that you CAN lose the weight you want to even if you HAVE to cut out some foods for your health though grin.

BBB I remember we had a discussion about the addictiveness of shxx foods and decided that I lost the weight (and kept it off) by eating less calories (though not deliberately).

The tired thing is beyond anyone's control though and affects EVERY diet due to the hormone not being secreted that regulates your appestat when you're tired. Though of course once your stomach has shrunk it is much harder to overeat because it's so uncomfortable! .

I will also add that I've never overeaten in a compulsive way, I was always eating healthily; the weight sort of crept up on me over the years.

Have a lovely half term everyone! grin

Solo Fri 15-Feb-13 20:54:20

Just dropping by. Hope you are all well. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now