Happy New Year! Happy New Paul McKenna Thread Number 11. Healthy Weight Loss Without Restricting Your Enjoyment Of Food! Come Join The Paulettes For Support And Chat.

(980 Posts)
GoodKingWenSOLOslas Tue 01-Jan-13 03:58:46

Welcome to thread 11 of the Paul McKenna's I Can Make You Thin weight loss system.

The Golden Rules that will aid you on your journey with our like minded support system are:

1. Eat what you WANT
2. Eat when you are HUNGRY
3. Eat CONSCIOUSLY
4. STOP eating when you are satisfied and full

This weight loss system is about re-educating your body; learning to listen to it and in doing so losing weight and inches. After all, eating a meal is not a competition.
Many people have issues around food. Many of us have been brought up by the 'clear your plate' parents of yesteryear which leave us feeling guilty if we leave even the smallest morsel of food, but we are working through this guilt or any other hang up we might have, and we are learning to leave a bit on the plate; return to it another time if we really want to or even feed it to the dog or the bin!
So!! forget diets; they may work for a while, but they aren't permanent solutions. This is a new way of living for your brand new life!!

The Paul McKenna system really works and is easy to maintain.

I've C&P'd our previous threads links as they are helpful.

Here are the book choices on AMAZON which is all you need to get started! they aren't compulsory, but they do help! it's something to refer to and listening to the cd's can really focus you.

This is the tapping technique EXPLAINED - this can be useful to combat cravings.

You don't have to buy the book and CD, but we have found that they do help and somehow they keep you on track, so it would probably be a good investment and will cost you far less than a couple of trips to WW or SW meetings, so do consider having them in your life.

Please feel free to join us, whether it's 10lbs or 10 stones you want to lose.
We are friendly, supportive and successful, but we're not hungry OH NO we're not!!! so come on in and start living your new life today and make 2013 your year to drop a dress size or several.

Vampygirl Sun 03-Feb-13 23:00:28

Hi everyone
So I've been Pauling for 5 days, god sounds like some kind of confession! I no mr mc wouldn't approve but I weighed myself today and found myself a few pounds lighter.
Have tried this a few times, got the book a while ago, lost it, got it again, did it a few times, it works. For some reason I always lose about half a stone, feel great, people say ooh your looking thinner, get all smug and eat, a lot. Last week I thought I can either get fatter or do this. Think it's working, tried to eat half a bannoffe pie to, to check it was working of course, but that devil man mind bender has smooth talked me into only wanting a few mouthfuls.
Forgot to say I have done the gastric band thingy this time, tbh I think the golden rules is what works, the hypno band is kinda like someone shouting 'your full your full stop eating' at you. Just makes it easier to recognise the signals but you still gotta follow all the rules of ICMYT. My actual weigh in day is Tuesday so I will keep everyone updated, hope I can get my head round doing it for more than a few weeks this time

Dottiespots Sun 03-Feb-13 23:53:44

Hi Vampy.....Yep.....it does definately work. But you have to keep at it, every day I find. Eating mindfully, carefully, chewing and being in the moment. Husband took me out for Cantonese tonight to our favourite place and we ordered less than normal .....quarter duck and pancakes, fried noodles, chicken in blackbean sauce and veg....we share the food and I always stop when Ive eaten what I fancy but tonight I had even less. I think its the idea that you can actually eat whatever you want with no thought of "tonight Ill eat as much as i can for tomorrow i diet" mentality. But one of the ladies on here "pp" has reached her target weight and says it now just comes to her naturally.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 05-Feb-13 20:40:53

Hello all! How's tricks?

Hi vampy, how are you getting on a week in?

Anyone else watching Supersize vs Superskinny? I was just thinking the supersize girly really needs the Pauling approach - she talked about using food as a comfort and they showed her shovelling in apple pie and ice cream in front of the tv without paying any attention to it sad

Erebus Wed 06-Feb-13 21:42:17

God, it's so easy to suddenly think, as you finish some food- 'Hang on, I don't think I savoured any of that! I put it in, chewed it up a bit and swallowed it!' shock

Still working on that- and, leaving a bit on the plate. This is harder if one controls ones portions in the first place- less to leave!

Dottiespots Thu 07-Feb-13 00:10:34

Hi Faith....not watching Supersize myself....cant stand watching them make the skinny one eat all the food the fat one normally eats. Seems so wrong.
Erebus....yep learning all the rules is a constant process isnt it. Ive just had two days of feeling like Im fat and what can i do about it and what diet shall i try . I have since talked myself back on track as I am making good progress with mindful eating PM and I know that my setback was obviously to do with how Im feeling emotionally at the moment .
Hows everyone else doing?

chinhealer Thu 07-Feb-13 00:48:04

Hi awsangel,
I'm so pleased you didn't succumb to the diabolical temptation to go on another diet!!! Remember that PM isn't just for the post-Christmas period... he's for life! Just be uncompromising when it comes to the Four Golden Rules. You will not deviate away from them. You have no choice BUT to follow them. And therein lies your liberation from the cycle of overeating and unnecessary eating and snacking and poor food choices!

Well done again for talking yourself out of dieting.

If you like, please have a look at my blog where I'm keeping an exhaustive record of my meals since starting PM's method:

cheeriofatty.wordpress.com/2013/02/07/eating-consciously-day-16-even-a-long-day-of-healing-cant-mess-me-up/

On Monday, my weightloss counsellor at the surgery was delighted with my progress. As was I. 7lbs lost in two weeks. Most of it visceral fat and with no loss of muscle. But I knew that there had been a big change already. And in the three weeks before I see her again, I've promised myself that I'll exercise as much as I'm able to in order to really turbocharge my fat-loss.

My good news has been such a huge motivator for me. I mean, I was motivated anyway with PM's Rules. But I am now motivated to exercise even more that I was doing before. And to see where I can tweak things even more in terms of my food intake.

I used to think that fat is a genetic issue and that I could never be lean, no matter how hard I try. In two weeks, I have barely tried at all and I'm already leaner than I have been in years! If I can do it, I know that most people can do it! And, trust me, I have not been depriving myself at all! In common with others on here, I have really, truly enjoyed every single mouthful of food.

I have a long way to go, but the ball has definitely started rolling and I'm gonna keep it rolling indefinitely!

Dottiespots Thu 07-Feb-13 01:15:43

Chinhealer.....I have been doing mindful eating for years but occasionally when I am not feeling good enough about myself I feel I should do better . I only really need to lose a stone to be the weight I want to be. I never really overeat anyway and didnt eat much over Christmas so Im not doing a post Christmas PM but thanks for the support. I have had a look at your site and it looks good so well done to you. I tend to keep a diary of what I eat and I generally dont eat all that much. What you eat looks very healthy but for me however the portions are way to much and I could never eat that much in one sitting. I have brought my two children up by eating mindfully ( I did this way of eating before Paul came on the scene) and they eat naturally like slim people and have no issues with food. My issues came from my Mother who did not allow me to eat food unless she put it in front of me and it was always low fat calorie controlled and low carb with no treats so I have spent years overcoming food issues (as have a lot of people). Keep up the good work as you seem to be doing really well.smile

chinhealer Thu 07-Feb-13 01:57:42

@awsangel - sorry if it felt like I was teaching a grandma to suck eggs! And it's wonderful that you have instilled healthy habits into your children too! Major, major kudos for that! It's so admirable that you have been eating mindfully for years. It took a slap around the head from PM for a thickie like me to wake up and do the same!

I'm sorry to hear about your Mother and food. It sounds like she genuinely thought she was doing you good. And it doesn't surprise me too much. We have been bombarded with low fat, low-cal (and, recently, low-carb), zero sugar, diet this and diet that messages from the media and, less forgivably, from doctors and health professionals for at least 30-odd years now. And look where it's got us collectively! But I hope you are able to enjoy what you eat without feeling guilty or neurotic about it.

Considering your issues with your Mother, I think you've done brilliantly.

Heehee... in terms of my portion sizes... if you think that's a lot, you should see what I used to shift/shovel away! (Usually while watching TV!) Actually, my food photos tend to look bigger than the reality! But, sure, I take your point that portion size is an individual thing. But then, PM's method takes that into account. The amount that gets you to pleasingly satisfied or full will be different from what gets me to the same levels on the hunger scale.

I'm just so pleased that I am actually listening to my body and its signals and what they mean!

Thank you for your kind words about my blog. And thank you for your encouraging and constant presence on here! I think you are helping a lot of people. Especially those who are new to PM and his methods.

chinhealer Thu 07-Feb-13 01:58:39

Gotta sleep... g'night!

Dottiespots Thu 07-Feb-13 02:44:05

awww thanks Chin......... but I do think your blog is great for you to be aware of your eating habits and weight loss. Would love to know what sort of a Healer you are btw? and .....Night!!!

chinhealer Thu 07-Feb-13 08:55:36

@awsangel - I heal more than just chins ! It's energy healing. With a focus on teaching self-healing techniques like meditation, visualization, chi kung etc. In terms of what I heal, I used to work in a GPs' surgery for several years, so I've had a wide experience of dealing with all sorts of patients with all sorts of problems. The two 'biggies' were/are chronic pain and depression/stress/anxiety. Both respond very well, on the whole, to healing. But everything in between too!

Again, if you're interested, have a gander at my site:

www.innerlighthealing.co.uk/

ppeatfruit Fri 08-Feb-13 13:14:51

Hello everyone I'm back!! A big welcome to chinhealer and vampy also cupcake grin
It's lovely to have so many enthusiastic P.M.ers.

Hi solo you sound perky is the retraining fun?

aws IKWYM about those ridiculous diet T.V. programmes they hardly ever speak any sense.

Dottiespots Fri 08-Feb-13 19:43:32

Hi pp....did you have a nice time? What did you do, where did you go, who did you see????ha ha!!.

Solo Fri 08-Feb-13 21:27:39

Hi all! quick update.

Training not fun 'cept the fighting! wink as I hate classroom work ~ I'm not good at it! I'm a practical learner. Two weeks down, four to go! got exam next week and not confident.

Interness is crapola up there so unable to post during the week <MN withdrawal symptoms>

Not confident about my weekly weigh in tomorrow...

Catchya soon!

Dottiespots Sat 09-Feb-13 01:31:25

Hi Solo.....exams are horrible arnt they. You go to peices before you have even sat down to do it. Argggg!. Hope your weigh in goes ok but maybe just give yourself a break from worrying about it whilst your there. Im sure its hard to concentrate on food when your somewhere other than homeground.

chinhealer Sat 09-Feb-13 02:49:47

Hi ppeatfruit! Thanks for the warm welcome! I trust you're an old hand on here? And a long-time PM-er? Actually, even though it's only been three weeks since I started following his Four Golden Rules, it feels like my previous, appalling eating habits are a lifetime away! And I cannot imagine returning to them now! I'm enjoying my new eating habits immensely!

Over on a parallel thread, some of the people are struggling with the gastric band and the rules. One person seems to have had an awful reaction to fitting the gastric band that landed her in A&E! Of course, that could have been just coincidence. But I wondered if you or anyone else on here might have some constructive advice for some of those strugglers?

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/big_slim_whatever_weight_loss_club/1656704-I-had-my-hypno-gastric-band-fitted-by-Paul-McKenna-last-night?msgid=37145075#37145075

ppeatfruit Sat 09-Feb-13 09:24:05

Morning all! What type of fighting are you doing solo?

I live half time in Fr. and half in between London and Devon aws so have been visiting DCs and helping organise GDs b\day party etc. No car so I find the weight dropping off when I'm not bothered shock.

chinhealer I spose sols and I are the ones who've been on P.M. the longest (forgive me if I'm wrong BBB or thedoc) it's 'cos it's for life IFYSWIM; easy to go on and off it without traumas. I'm not really interested in the virtual gastric band thing so can't help with that but one of the things that 'clicked' P.M. for me was chewing each mouthful properly between 15 or more times (depending on the food of course grin).

I do combine P.M. with a W.O. E. for health (my family history is not good) called The Blood Type which works well for me 'cos i've been on it for years before P.M.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sat 09-Feb-13 14:57:15

Hello everyone!

I'm not managing to post on here very often, sorry!

I am reading the Gastric Band book at the moment, and I've lost 5.5lbs in the last 9 days just from reading it. May not even bother doing the trance at this rate!!

ppeatfruit Sat 09-Feb-13 15:20:52

Ali!! How are you ? well done on the weight loss grin is it easier than ICMYT?

Dottiespots Sun 10-Feb-13 18:16:08

Hi All.....PP you have achieved your weight loss and have stayed there but what about all the other ladies who started at similar times to you. Im curious. How much have all you other ladies and gents lost since starting PM since you started on this thread?

Dottiespots Sun 10-Feb-13 18:56:28

I have decided that Im going to go back to my low carb PMing if that makes sense. I have been feeling way too bloated eating carbs again so need to cut them out. So I mainly dont eat bread,wheat,cereals,biscuits,etc and I cut out alot of sugar. I know pp does her Blood Diet and PMs with it so Im going to go back to this. Its mainly for health reasons as I do get IBS especially when stressed .So just thought I would update you all. I thought that maybe I should come off this thread but Im still eating to the four golden rules in every sense but removing the carbs. I also feel that I have a little insulin resistance and carbs dont help me. Having kept a food diary since mid December I average only 1500 cals per day doing the PM way but I still dont lose much weight. I dont binge or eat excessively and I dont gain weight but trying to lose the stone Ive been working on is just not happening so am changing the way I eat. smile

chinhealer Mon 11-Feb-13 02:15:03

@awsangel - when you say you're going to restrict your carbs, do you mean all carbs or mainly the grains and starchy carbs? I presume you will not restrict vegetables and fruits too much? Also, for how long?

Anyway, whatever you feel the need to do right now, I wish you all the best. And please don't leave the thread! It's thanks to you that I'm on here in the first place!

Dottiespots Mon 11-Feb-13 02:32:13

Hi Chin.....no not all carbs . Will eat brocolli,greens, asparagus, butternut squash, carots, leeks, toms, mushrooms, cauliflower, avocado, onions, rocket leaf, all salad leaves, lettace, olives,peppers, walnuts, pecans, fish tuna, chicken, beef, prawns, yoghurt, dark chocolate, eggs. Really healthy actually just cutting out the rubbish. Found myself eating a biscuit instead of making breakfast and although I wasnt eating alot had a good long think about what i was eating. My family always comments that I dont eat enough and compared to them I dont. So decided that I must be causing insulin surges which are causing me to not burn fat. I generally eat very healthy but got a bit lazy. And....thankyou for the compliment.
Had a look at your healing page. You seem to have done alot of good for people. Obviously you have a great gift that you share.

Dottiespots Mon 11-Feb-13 02:50:18

Chin....with regard to the other thread.....I find it a bit worrying that one lady had such a severe reaction. Coincidence maybe but the other lady also said that she felt ill when she was nearly full. Like you I would not want to have that feeling. Alot of the ladies on that thread are also doing other diets like Weight Watchers, Slimming World ect and are using the band as a back up which PM did not intend it to be. But hey....each to their own. I also would personally not want to install a gastric band real or hypnotic as to me your not relying on yourself your relying on an outside influence and if it wears off your left back to square one and just relying on the golden rules and your own observations of fullness. The band seems to be giving the other posters their feelings of fullness nor the rules if you see what I mean (IYSWIM).

Dottiespots Mon 11-Feb-13 02:51:53

"not" the rules.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now