Is anyone else 'skinny fat?'

(36 Posts)
AnnaFurLact1c Thu 29-Nov-12 15:57:51

Do you know what I mean by this?

I'm 5 foot 4, maybe a touch under 9 stone and a size 8, more or less. So I'm slim and have a BMI of 21. So far, so good.

However, under my clothes it's a different story. I have a 'fat' tummy and am decidedly untoned. I just look a bit flabby.

How do I sort this out without losing more weight? Or is it something you just accept - I hardly expect to look like a model but would rather not have all this flab.

Heavy weights better than light weights for toning. And yes to Shred.

gracelesslady Fri 30-Nov-12 18:06:56

Does anyone else feel an exercise pact coming on???

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Fri 30-Nov-12 19:45:44

You need to do strength training to build muscle and tone. And none of that namby-pamby light-weights-low-reps nonsense they always tell women to do in gyms. Don't fear the weights - they will make you look toned, not buff

This is very true. I have swung a 20 kilo kettle bell, flipped a tractor tyre and dragged 30 kilo chains across a beach, still no danger of developing a noticeable muscle but my belly has shrunk.

Mu1berries Fri 30-Nov-12 20:00:57

ha ha!!! so true!

I remember in the officethe water cooler needed changing and all the men were hmming and hawing over it. I picked it up and changed it. Not so much as a "you're strong fair play" I just had a raised eyebrow I think.

Mu1berries Fri 30-Nov-12 20:03:10

jillian michaels yoga meltdown looks good. I don't have the dvd as it's not available in this region but i've done level one on youtube and it's tough. those isometric contractions are killers.

AnnaFurLact1c Sat 01-Dec-12 00:15:41

Interesting stuff. I'd be interested in a 'beginners exercise thread to build muscle ' or some other equally catchy title.

bluebird68 Sun 02-Dec-12 10:22:19

me too. I'm 5.2 and a BMI of 22 but i hate the way i look as i'm so flabby and its getting worse as i get older- and will continue that way unless i take action. I get so fed up with people saying 'you're so slim'.
Is anyone going to start a new thread for those who want to do some exercise to tone up?

AlwaysReadyForABlether Sun 02-Dec-12 10:27:29

Whilst I am considerably larger than the rest of you I would definitely recommend some kind of training involving weights and focussing on your core. A few years ago I was a Size 12 and doing a lot of training and my shape changed considerably - flatter stomach, definite curves at my waist. I have put on weight since then but my waist still has more definition than it did before. And although I am nearly back to my heaviest weight I am still two dress sizes smaller. Just need to get the weight off again!

Mu1berries Sun 02-Dec-12 10:37:46

ok enough talking as jillian michaels would say. going to do 6w6p now. not many weights there but it is a real cardio blast that focuses on the torso.

bluebird68 Sun 02-Dec-12 10:49:33

i'm going to start with this book i just got- no gym workout , you do the exercises 3 times a week and on the other days power walk . Its a good easy start and probably better for me than jumping in at the deep end. I already pretty much power walk so got that covered, instead i'll add the yogalates DVD i have and see what that's like. I turn 45 in 11 weeks so lets see if i can lose a couple of inches at least all over in that time.

I'm not sure about shred but maybe no more trouble zones once these exercises become too easy. what sort of exercises does she do in it - for anyone who has it? Does it use weights?

sassytheFIRST Sun 02-Dec-12 11:17:16

Haha. I'm fat skinny - BMI bang on 25, slim arms, legs, waist, belly etc and people mostly think I am slimmer than I am.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now