30 day challenge-anyone in?

(128 Posts)
awaywego1 Tue 13-Nov-12 12:46:38

So it's a month now until all my Christmassy stuff starts properly. My work night out is on the 14th. I've been fannying about and not doing anything about this extra weight for the last year and I need to make a start now. I don't have loads to lose-I'm 5.2 and 9.8 but I'm feeling really wobbly and sluggish and all my clothes are too tight. So I'm going to:
1) be healthy eating-under maintenance cals-lots of fruit and veg, more protein and less snarky rubbish.
2) no drinking in the week-recently I've been drinking nightly 1-2glasses of wine and this is no good for mind or body.
3) Some hand weights, sit ups, a walk or the shred daily-this may be tricky as I do have health problems but I will try my best.
Anyone in with their own pre Christmas challenge? smile

awaywego1 Mon 26-Nov-12 16:21:53

Oh dear..I have just eaten 4 jammie dodgers and a crunchie...may have nosedived off he wagon! sad

ankh Mon 26-Nov-12 11:38:48

@McNally: I started last week on Mon so I'm not sure about impressive, read that much of that is lost water when you stop eating carbs. can't feel any difference with clothes, just I'm in a better mood and higher energy, which is good in itself.

anyone else scared of all these xmas parties coming up?

Jes33 Mon 26-Nov-12 11:31:10

Hello glad you are all doing so well and had good weekends.

I had a bit of a fall off the wagon - not too bad but a few stodgy dinners and biscuits and very little walking.

Back on a mission today though! Is freezing cold up here but have a big dog walk and about to walk to the shops.

Heres to a successful week!

McNally Mon 26-Nov-12 11:25:23

Good to hear how well everyone is doing. I had a last minute trip to the ILs (i.e. the land of no internet) over the last week. It has been quite hard to stick to the healthy eating as had limited control over meals and they are very hospitable. Too scared to weigh myself now sad.

Away congrats on maintaining the weight loss despite being ill. Hope you are doing better. Have got MFP but come unstuck when eating anything where the calorie count isn't obvious. How do you deal with that?

Ankh 1kg is very impressive!

Schro loving the healthy eating in pregnancy plan. Wish I'd done that (felt guilty that I didn't) when I was pregnant. Would probably make things easier now! Still think you need some treats to get you through though! Many congrats by the way, glad you've come round to it after the shock!

ankh Mon 26-Nov-12 10:27:54

hi everyone, and welcome to the new joiners! never too late to start.

my weekend was so and so, managed to stay off carbs for most of it but cheated on Sat night - red wine and cookies. luckily I found the strength to stop after a couple of them. lost only about 1kg or so (out of 3kgs I want to lose) but I have a feeling that's not completely lost as my weight was up and down for the past week or so..

next weigh in on Friday. first xmas party next week on the 5th! thank God my dress is forgiving smile

awaywego1 Sun 25-Nov-12 09:06:06

I don't know rock I'm normally dreadful but feeling a bit more motivated at the moment, logging everything on mfp but being much less strict at the weekend is helping.,.as well as factoring in some chocolate everyday!

Rockchick1984 Sun 25-Nov-12 00:17:44

Well done away - I'm doing terribly badly!! Managing to increase my water intake most days, but seem to only be able to diet for one day at a time, then end up blowing it the next day. How do you motivate yourself to stick to it?

awaywego1 Sat 24-Nov-12 22:03:07

Hey everyone-how's everyone doing on this horrible rainy and windy night?
Have had a generally good week, kept to my allocated 1200 cals most days and my drinking is much reduced so am fairly happy with that although I'd like to have eaten less sugary snacks.
Still not done any bloody exercise and its not seeming likely at the moment, although finally have a long awaited neurology appointment on Monday so maybe he will come up with some answers not holding my breath tho sad
Next weeks plan is to carry on with the calorie counting, cut down on the sugary snacks and try and drink some more water.

awaywego1 Thu 22-Nov-12 21:16:59

Hope we're all doing ok today. I've managed to stick to my 1200 cals but had a glass of wine on a week night which is bad but won't be drinking on Saturday so figure that's not too bad.

awaywego1 Thu 22-Nov-12 10:23:52

Hey rock welcome aboard-I'm a coffee drinker too-ad need to drink more water-I bought some sugar free apple cordial which has been helping. Good luck with reducing those snacks-it's hard-allow yourself some low cal treats instead and get some lovely berries in.

Rockchick1984 Thu 22-Nov-12 00:06:22

Am I too late to join in??? Would desperately love to lose half a stone before Christmas, I've got 10lbs to get back to pre-baby weight - DS is 20 months so it's about time I dealt with it really grin

Congratulations on the weight loss so far everyone thanks I eat relatively healthily, but am a massive snack fan so need to try and stick to just eating at mealtimes and not sending DH to the spar for chocolate at 9pm every evening and I'm going to try and start drinking 2 litres of water every day as I pretty much survive on just coffee to drink at the moment!

awaywego1 Wed 21-Nov-12 20:54:24

Thanks schro-its been more of a coldly virusey thing than sickness, but yeah it's hard with work, they are aware of my health problems but I still need to be there as much as I can be without killing myself
Yes to healthy eating-but do make sure you eat enough, glad you are coming round a bit-try and focus on the nice bits like lovely cuddles and titchy clothes can you tell I'm broody! rather than the stressful practicalities for the time being.
Made a nice noodle soup for tea which is tasty and low in cals AND I've been sticking to not drinking in the week which is v. good.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Wed 21-Nov-12 19:15:58

Jes Still a bit in shock but have brought myself round to the idea. Didn't eat the minstrels last night but had them today, haven't had anything else yet but about to have sausage sandwiches. grin

Have been really interested in Pilates type classes, was it really good then?

Away Glad you have kept it off! I'm going to start eating healthy again tomorrow. I don't want to put too much weight on this time and it doesn't hurt to eat right. Obviously no tiny calorie count diets though!

You really need to be careful with work. sad Better to have to get a letter or explain what is wrong than do yourself damage? Or, I'm sure if you have actually thrown up you're not actually meant to go into work for 48 hours.

awaywego1 Wed 21-Nov-12 17:21:24

Sorry Jes-cross posted with you there-well done for going to your class-it's good you like it-that has to help!

awaywego1 Wed 21-Nov-12 17:20:25

Ooh just realised we have done a week! 23 days to go (although ideally it won't stop there!)

awaywego1 Wed 21-Nov-12 17:17:49

So despite having thought I'd had a bad week due to being ill I imputed everything into mfp today and I'm not doing too badly, on target cal wise. i also weighed in today and the 2 pounds i lost last week has stayed off so I am pleased with that. Am also remembering little tricks from calorie counting previously-like my favourite pud of fruit salad, fat free yogurt and a mini meringue and 10 cal jelly pots can you tell it's the sweet tooth that's the problem
Jahan-sounds like a perfect plan-it's breaking those little habits which needs to happen first, go easy tho so soon after birth-your body will still be recovering.

Woss- welcome aboard-I'm mainly a very prolific lurker too-stepping out of my comfort zone here wink

Schro-hope the shock is wearing off and you are having plenty of sweet treats to help you through it. I'm still feeling rough hut hopefully getting better but dragged myself in for half a day at work and managed ok. I'm on sickness monitoring already so I need to really try to be there more but it's hard going at the moment.

Jes33 Wed 21-Nov-12 17:14:14

Oh Schro - congratulations. Is it slowly sinking in? How you feeling now - hopefully still eating and minstrels too. Love em!

Still ticking along ok but not brilliantly and could def do better. Jahan , like you trying to et properly at the correct times and relatively healthily and not eating crap! Unlike you I'm 6 years post c-section so no excuse for me.

Been to my class today which is Pilates/tai chi. Though I would hate it but really like it.

Hello to everyone and welcome to anyone new!

wossgoinon Wed 21-Nov-12 15:59:03

Can I join please?

Occasional poster and full time lurker. I measured myself today and see that I have put on two inches around the middle.

I want to at least cut out the sweet crap and start eating healthily again, This weather just makes me want to eat cake and stay in bed. I need motivation

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Wed 21-Nov-12 13:25:53

I've heard the buggy jogging groups can be quite fun. grin

Jahan Wed 21-Nov-12 13:22:23

Well as indicitive of my lack of weight loss, I haven't really started much yet!
At this point, im just trying to break bad habits like evening snacking and grazing all day on quick fixes rather than having proper meals.
I intend to start properly next week after my 6 week check. I'll do proper calorie counting and lots of walking with the buggy.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Wed 21-Nov-12 11:50:11

5 weeks since your C-section! shock You're brave starting so early! grin

Thanks as well, I'm sure it will be lovely, I just can't see that right now. Just thinking of all the practicalities of it all...

Away Hope you're feeling better today as well. x

Jahan Wed 21-Nov-12 11:27:03

Schro congratulations! I know its abit of a shock for you but im sure you'll be fine. Small age gaps can be great as the kids will play together (eventually!) Im sure things will work out and it was just meant to be smile

Away hope you're feeling better.

I had to give Shred too. I started to get pains in my knees. Can I suggest Davina? Her dvds are really good. I prefer to do them now.

Well I've lost no weight so far sad
I think its because im not doing any exercise yet (5 weeks since c se ton) and am just parked up on the sofa feeding or comforting my dd. I think I also need to reduce carbs so will have a carb curfew at 4pm.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Wed 21-Nov-12 10:57:48

Hey, thanks. smile I am okay today, still shakey.

Would love to know all about trivial diet breaking scoffings! grin

McNally Tue 20-Nov-12 23:12:29

Oh Schro, hope you are doing ok. It is hard to get such a shock. I think that this evening's eating was very restrained. Let us know how you are doing tomorrow and I'll fill you in on trivial diet breaking scoffings.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Tue 20-Nov-12 22:36:22

I will. smile Thanks again.

Will be going to bed in 5 minutes so will definitely check in tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now