30 day challenge-anyone in?

(128 Posts)
awaywego1 Tue 13-Nov-12 12:46:38

So it's a month now until all my Christmassy stuff starts properly. My work night out is on the 14th. I've been fannying about and not doing anything about this extra weight for the last year and I need to make a start now. I don't have loads to lose-I'm 5.2 and 9.8 but I'm feeling really wobbly and sluggish and all my clothes are too tight. So I'm going to:
1) be healthy eating-under maintenance cals-lots of fruit and veg, more protein and less snarky rubbish.
2) no drinking in the week-recently I've been drinking nightly 1-2glasses of wine and this is no good for mind or body.
3) Some hand weights, sit ups, a walk or the shred daily-this may be tricky as I do have health problems but I will try my best.
Anyone in with their own pre Christmas challenge? smile

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Thu 15-Nov-12 16:09:45

Jes "Chicken with olives and tomatoes and cous cous." That sounds gorgeous. Apparently that diet coke chicken is really low fat as well, it's lovely, have you tried that? Really simple too.

Having food now (egg mayo salad again) and have spent the afternoon making cupcakes (luckily I hate cake so no temptation!)

Jahan Thu 15-Nov-12 16:13:38

Good day yesterday for me too.
Todays plan
fruit n fiber, banana
Broccoli and stilton soup, cheese and tomato sandwich
2 oatcakes with peanut butter, grapes
Chicken pie thanks to dh smile

Jes33 that recipe sounds really nice. Let us know if its and worth sharing smile
Schro glad you're feeling better. That bug sounds awful
Everyone seems to be doing well!

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Thu 15-Nov-12 17:02:00

Jahan Thanks, I think everyone has had it now though.

I would kill for some actual cheese. envy If I done that though, I'd never be able to stop.

Agree as well about Jes's recipe, it sounds lovely.

awaywego1 Thu 15-Nov-12 21:46:25

Sounds like everyone is doing well! All good for me during the day but then went out for an unplanned meal for DPs mums b'day-which equalled high calorie food and lots of wine, hey ho, ill try and have a relatively good few days to make up for it.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Thu 15-Nov-12 22:19:23

Can always start again tomorrow. smile If you have already been limiting calories I am sure with just than one meal over, you will be fine. smile

I'm off to the cinema tonight, have to make sure I am not tempted by nachos or a hotdog!

So far today I have had an egg and extra light mayo salad with a pack of WW 55calorie crackers and a laughing cow triangle and broccoli cauliflower and cheese sauce. I doubt I will be able to keep it up when I get to the cinema! sad

awaywego1 Fri 16-Nov-12 11:32:50

Schro-How did the cinema go? Yes am trying to be healthy today despite being a bit a lot hungover. So far i've had 2 weetabix with skimmed milk and lots of coffee, lunch will be a poached egg on 1 wholemeal toast and for tea a jacket with tuna, am meeting a friend later for a drink so there may be a G&T but am going to keep it minimal.
Hope everyone is having a good friday?

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Fri 16-Nov-12 13:02:18

Cinema went great! All I had there was a can of sugar free relentless! grin Chuffed with myself. smile

Did you have a good night last night? (not food wise wink)

That sounds a good menu for today. smile Eggs are great for staving off hunger and are full of protein. G+T is fine I believe, think they are pretty much calorie free?

Haven't eaten yet but am going to have WW crackers and WW tuna I think. smile

awaywego1 Fri 16-Nov-12 13:28:11

Excellent choice making at the cinema-impressed with the willpower grin
Yes i had a good night thanks-and think DPs mum did too which is great.
I'm a bit weird about crackers, which is a shame because they always sound so delicious, maybe i need to give some a go again.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Fri 16-Nov-12 13:35:26

Tbh, the line and prices in the cinema certainly helped my decision. grin It was packed!

Glad you had a good night and so did DP's Mum. Don't worry about it anyway, it was only one night. smile

The WW crackers are very thin and they are wheat and rye. They don't really taste the same as the normal kind of buttery crackers. smile Poundland are selling loads of different types and the WW pitta breads. (Not following WW btw, there's no way I could eat 29 points a day but some of their foods are really good). hmm

Jahan Fri 16-Nov-12 14:00:06

Glad both of you had a good night. I think one meal off a diet per week is allowed and doesn't usually harm weight loss.

I agree that cinema prices are terrible. It definitely puts me off buying anything. Im usually happy with a cappuccino!

Todays plan
Fruit n fiber, banana, 1 slice toast
Tomato soup, slice bread, yoghurt, grapes
Meatloaf, asparagus, mash

Jahan Fri 16-Nov-12 14:02:52

Glad both of you had a good night. I think one meal off a diet per week is allowed and doesn't usually harm weight loss.

I agree that cinema prices are terrible. It definitely puts me off buying anything. Im usually happy with a cappuccino!

Todays plan

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Fri 16-Nov-12 14:03:05

Is meatloaf nice? I have never tried it.

YY to cinema prices, probably a good thing they are so high!

Jahan Fri 16-Nov-12 14:05:16

Todays plan

Jahan Fri 16-Nov-12 14:06:29

Oh dear. Not sure what happened there!

Jahan Fri 16-Nov-12 14:07:52

Its great. Shortcut for burgers

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/691652/cold-meatloaf-with-squashed-tomato-and-pepper-sals

Jahan Fri 16-Nov-12 14:08:57
McNally Fri 16-Nov-12 15:01:49

Can I join? Thought breastfeeding was going to help me lose weight but has so far had the opposite effect. Damn. I need to make a start at losing one and a half stone and thought that some public (sort of) accountability might help (actual real life accountability at WW or SM is a step too far!). I did level 1 of the Shred yesterday (ow!) so going to try and do that again tonight. Food is my downfall really so trying to cut back on snacking and drink more water.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Fri 16-Nov-12 15:07:07

Jahan Must try one of those recipes. Cold food is meant to be good for dieting, I have the Dukan diet book here and he explains that you burn more calories when you're food is cold as your body has to work to warm it up as it goes through your system or something. Apparently as well, sucking ice cubes burns calories for the same reasons so he suggests making fruit flavoured ice. Diet redbull ice cubes anyone? grin

McNally Hello. <waves> smile I have heard a lot of people say they retained more weight while BF. sad I didn't do it for long enough to notice to much of a difference.

Jahan Fri 16-Nov-12 16:01:16

I never knew that about cold food!

I love ice cream. Do you think the actual calorie count is less than stated after it goes through the body? [Hopeful]

We actually have the meatloaf hot and made with lean lamb mince. There's been a change of plan and we re having it with ratatouille instead.

Hi mcnally. Im bf too and I don't lose weight either. My sister lost tonnes. I feel very hard done by.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Fri 16-Nov-12 16:32:50

Basically, he put it as in the calorie count of the food isn't actually lower but you burn loads of calories trying to heat it up and digest it.

He also talked about "negative calorie foods" like lettuce and stuff (basically lots of veggies), where you appaprently burn more calories digesting it than are in the food it's self.

It's also suggested that your 8 glasses of water a day are kept very cold so this helps you burn more.

I'm going to buy some of that skinny moo ice cream today (like 100 calories a tub or something), would you like me to report back on how it is?

McNally Fri 16-Nov-12 17:08:22

Yes please report back on the ice cream Schro. Maybe it'll be like Haagen Dazs. Hmmm. Also going to try to find those WW crackers you mentioned.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Fri 16-Nov-12 21:30:07

Couldn't get the ice cream as ended up no where near a supermarket. sad

Jes33 Fri 16-Nov-12 21:51:50

Hello everyone and well done as it all seems to be coming along quite nicely! Ok day here too - did have an egg mayonnaise bagel at lunch which was lush! Chicken, olives and tomatoes tonight as dh was home late last night.

Very nice too and easy. Chicken breast cut into 3 pieces, olives, halved cherry tomatoes, garlic, 100ml veg stock made with half a cube, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper. All in oven for 30 mins. Oh almost forgot some rosemary too if you wish. I really messed up with the cous cous though so resorted to rice. Still lovely.

No exercise here today either my kids were off - in service day. Tomorrow.....

Anyone else sobbing their way through Children in Need.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Fri 16-Nov-12 22:46:50

Well done. smile I had a chicken royale and diet coke today in BK. blush

That recipe does sound nice!

Not watching Children in Need. We're watching "Wanted" hmm.

McNally Fri 16-Nov-12 23:54:15

Also sobbing my way through Children in Need. Going to have to stop watching!

Did the Shred again tonight and already having trouble getting off the sofa, so tomorrow is going to be painful! Had a low-calorie veg curry but ruined it with coke and kit kat.

Impressive cooking Jes. Especially for a Friday night!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now