Myfitnesspal.com support thread 5

(990 Posts)

A shiny new thread for existing users of mfp and for anyone new who would like to join us for support, bottom kicking and general chatting smile

Old thread here

Lissyfrog Mon 04-Feb-13 08:03:24

Hi wise
She is 20 and a really good girl x when I think of what I put my mum through she's a saint compared to me at that age x so I can't grumble really x one of her friends lives with us (been here a year as fell out with her mum) so at least when they go out I know they have to come back together x normal less worry x just dredding going through it all again with my DS who is 8 x boys r not as sensible as girls that's a big defo x

Will need everyone's help next week as both girls r off on hol to sharm el sheikh for a week !!! More worry and temptation of the hob nobs !!!!!!

1st weigh in today after being back on mfp for a week and have to say I'm a bit scared sad

WiseKneeHair Mon 04-Feb-13 08:33:20

Lissy I saw your loss on MFP, no need to be scared. Well done.
We'll help you through your DDs holiday and keep you away from the hobnobs.

Lissyfrog Mon 04-Feb-13 09:02:12

Ok I did it x got on the scales x 2lb off smile x little gutted as thought it would b a bit more as its my 1st week back on mfp x but I'll keep on trucking x

DoubleMum Mon 04-Feb-13 10:17:49

Well done Dizzy, great loss.

mumtorobbie Mon 04-Feb-13 11:07:01

Been lurking for a while and need some MFP tips really.

I've been using it for a month, cutting down on wine, chocolate etc but the weight is just not shifting. I'll lose a few pounds and then it goes back on again. Need to lose about a stone really.

Do you think it could be my portion size when I have my evening meal? I tend to cook curries, chillies, spag bol etc but find it hard to calculate the calories due to making it from scratch.

It must be here where I'm tripping up.

Pinkglow Mon 04-Feb-13 11:28:12

mumtorobbie it was portion size that really got me when I started, I couldnt believe how much an actual portion is compared to what I was eating. Pasta it only 75g (I quite often up it to 100g though) a portion which used to seem sooooooooo tiny.

BumBiscuits Mon 04-Feb-13 11:34:53

mumtorobbie

It may be portion sizes.

What I do with chilli and curry and even soup is to enter the whole recipe into MFP then I ladle it out when I've finished cooking into a large bowl. I count how many ladles there is in total then make that the number of servings. So if I have a curry with my measured rice plus 2 ladles of curry, I'll have a good estimate of how many calories are included. Or I may find that I want to serve myself less (or more) depending on how many calories one ladle-full works out at.

If you have cauli-rice instead of normal rice with your chillies and curries you'll drop you calorie intake a fair bit.

mumtorobbie Mon 04-Feb-13 11:40:56

OOh, what's cauli-rice?

It must be the portion size because I've cut out so much rubbish like my nightly large glass of wine and countless biscuits during the day that I thought I'd see a much greater weight loss.

BumBiscuits Mon 04-Feb-13 11:54:00

Cauli rice is fake rice made from cauliflower that the low carbers love. You use the food processor or grate raw cauliflower. You put it in your place, I add some salt, then you cover it and micro for 3 mins (I think...not done if for ages). If you google there is a lot online about it.

I personally love it as a rice replacement and don't think it tastes too cauliflowery but others hate it. Worth a try to see which camp you are in!

I've seen recipes online for making pizza bases from cauliflower but I've never tried it.

Hi Essex. Welcome, I have added you. It has helped me having smaller targets to begin with.

Hi mumtorobbie. It's definitely been portion control for me, although last week I started the 2 day fast diet, as I like that you don't have to do loads of cutting stuff out. If you have PCOS, like me, or anything else that means you don't metabolise your food well, I read on the fast thread that 600 cals, rather than 500, is ok and is amazing what that extra 100 cals means you can have.

Lissy I second what Wise said. Give us a shout if you need us.

RGPargy Mon 04-Feb-13 13:24:31

Hi everyone! Feeling positive today and am back in the game. DP is working away til Wednesday so I can stay focused and not get sabotaged lol.

Another cauli-rice fan here. I grate mine by hand (takes a bit of time but I don't have a food processor) and then I store it in the freezer in 150-200g portion sizes til I'm ready to use them. I then fry them in a little butter and olive oil til it's all light golden brown and gorgeous! Very yummy!!

WiseKneeHair Mon 04-Feb-13 15:14:28

Welcome mumto I think portion sizes are the key. I have decreased mine by between a third and a half. Do you weigh everything? I mostly cook from scratch and add in every ingredient individually. If it is a recipe I do often, I'll put the ingredients into the recipe section and make a new recipe. I am a bit anal about measuring because I think it is really easy to think something is x grams, when it fact it is 3x grams and lots more calories than you expected.
I've not tried cauli-rice sounds disgusting but another alternative to rice is bulgar wheat. I think it's lovely and is a lot less calories than rice.

Definitely weigh things at least the first few times until you get an idea of how it looks and then you know you're not overestimating calories mumtorobbie. Weigh each ingredient and enter it into mfp recipes and divide by the number of your size portions then you only have to enter it once smile

mrsnec Mon 04-Feb-13 17:02:21

Hi All, marking my place again. Definately going to try cauli rice here. Very interested in what's been said about portion sizes. My loss has slowed down by loads. Am trying a few different things to figure out what's going on but if I don't lose this week I'm definately going to re-visit the portion size thing. I weigh cereal and spuds but always think I can do rice and pasta by eye. I often add double or more portions to be on the safe side which is where I ended up with a 900 cal spag bol for a cereal sized bowlful! This is why the recipe feature is so good. I only discovered it last week and I'll be using it a lot. I realise guessing isn't the answer you could just as easily be under than over.

WiseKneeHair Mon 04-Feb-13 21:55:05

Mrsnec I think pasta and rice are really hard to judge and I always measure but I've already said how anal I am

Lissyfrog Tue 05-Feb-13 15:43:59

Hi all
Just worked out my roast for tonight (on mfp) and it worked out to a lot more than I thought it was gonna b x still going to have it but try to b under by 100 cals for the next 4 days, as today has took me over by 350 ish x do u think that will b ok x

DoubleMum Tue 05-Feb-13 17:27:03

I expect that will be fine Lissy, well done on your loss!

twinkle183 Tue 05-Feb-13 17:57:27

Ello girls and guys!

I use to be on here all the time but uni has sort of taken over my life as I am in my final year!!! Am struggling to keep my weight off and was lucky enough to get to target just but its starting to creep back on so what to get fit - I am sick of looking at the scales and although I looked okay at my goal weight I wasn't happy with what I saw, so have decided that I want to be skinny fit rather than skinny fat!!!

So I am measuring instead... as I want the fat gone but the muscle to stay! I am going to eat my BMR and I have purchased the fancy set of scales that tells me water weight as well as fat and how many calories I should eat.... As long as I am below that I should be alright!!

My new res was to finish things that I started well I have already failed so am dusting myself off and restarting as I want to look super hot at graduation!

I have 2 ds and 1dd all under the age of 9 so I have the tummy to prove that I have children but want rid!! I know its a marathon and not a sprint so am doing Insanity which is a 63 day programme...

I could really use some motivation to get me started... so please peeps add me!!! My name is the same on here....

P.s sorry for the essay!!! blush

Lissyfrog Tue 05-Feb-13 20:55:31

Cheers double x

Twinkle I joined this thread last week and its the best kick up the bum I've had as everyone has added me and I'm sure they will all add u to x I've just sent u an invite x

twinkle183 Tue 05-Feb-13 20:58:06

Thanks for the add!!!! Looking forward the kick.... grin

essexmumma Tue 05-Feb-13 21:02:03

Hey Twinkle, I have just added you. I posted here last week and my motivation has been amazing since I got loads of people helping me. Good luck and welcome x

I'm eating too much junk, aaaargh!

jchocchip Wed 06-Feb-13 06:13:17

I know that feeling! Drove a long way at the weekend and ate too much! No internet either. Need to start logging again

jchocchip Wed 06-Feb-13 06:14:00

Going to give up chocolate for lent...

twinkle183 Wed 06-Feb-13 09:02:20

Ooo I think I may do that!!!!! No chocolate for lent awesome idea..... grinsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now