JILLIAN MICHAELS (Shred/Ripped and all the rest) Part 3: Bringing our A-game [cheesy smile]

(1000 Posts)

Here is a new thread for Jillian Michael devotees!

Whatever JM DVD you are doing, come and check in here...
Any Insanity and Turbofire lurkers, come and join too!

Hello to all from the old thread and big welcome to anyone new, come and join us smile

MissTFied Fri 18-Jan-13 19:54:52

Hi all,

Fading - welcome back! I also feel compelled to finish a DVD course once I have started. I feel terribly guilty that I only did 1 day of S&S, but I know I will return to it, whether I want or not. I usually end up loving whatever DVD I'm doing by the end. I worry that if I stop doing these DVDS my fitness levels will really decrease and all my hard work will be in vain, so I haven't stopped since October and have prob become slightly obsessive with them. I look at it as a good vice to have!
You used 2.3 kg weights previously? Wow!

Threesteps - my channelling worked! Pleased to hear you are ok. I would be feeling v guilty if you made yourself worse. Phew!

CHST - thanks for answering my Beachbody queries. I looked into Chalene, and what interests me about this workout is that by upping the weights your muscles carry on burning the fat long after your workout has finished. Is that right? Apparently this does not happen for as long a period of time after a cardio workout, which is why I'm getting into NMTZ more than BFBM. DP has dusted off his weights he found in the garage for me.

PeggyO - I felt overall worked out after 6W6P. I didn't expect a 6 pack, because I have a layer of fat over my muscles which I haven't shifted yet. I'm sure there is a 6 pack waiting to burst through though! After my lovely lean arms, a washboard stomach is my next thing to tick off the list!

Happy weekend and working out to y'all!

Rollergirl1 Fri 18-Jan-13 20:00:43

Hey there everyone. How is everyone coping with the snow?

Threesteps: Good that your back is better and also your dog!

MissT: I really liked Level 3 of RI30 and did it for quite a while before moving on to Level 4 just cos I enjoyed most of the moves. I would say it was my probably my favourite. Lots of balancing required if I remember rightly? Although don't like shouty Julian in any of this DVD.

I read all of your posts and hear you talk about going for a run and then doing a DVD. Or doing two Julian's back to back and I think i'm slightly in awe of you all. Where do you all find the motivation? I think I could probably do it but I just can't be bothered, i'm too lazy.

I've done a mixture of NMTZ and BFBM every day this week so far. I really like both of them. Julian isn't as shouty and evangelical in these as she is in RI30. You all mention liking that muscle buzz, I really like that too. But Peggy, I'm the same in terms of not feeling it after in my abs. Although I definitely feel "the burn" when i'm actually doing the exercises (and this is just NMTZ i'm talking here, not 6W6P), i never feel the ache after like I do in my arms and my legs. I have always wondered if I am not doing it right either. Maybe we just have killer abs waiting to happen?! In NMTZ I really like the swarm or the swerve (am rubbish with the names) move, the one where you lie on your back with your legs up and lift off the floor and sweep round and grab the inside of your ankle. Every time I do those I can really feel it in the obliques and always expect it to hurt afterwards but it doesn't.

Anyway, I've written an essay!

I just have one more question to ask, I've been toying with buying Insanity. Given that I only really have 40 mins to spare each day, is it achievable?

CHST Fri 18-Jan-13 20:03:47

threesteps yay for a good workout! That is good to hear!!! In one of her cardios, it is one minute cardio bursts followed by one minute strength to bring heart rate down so sort of similar, yes.

peggy (and for everyone else) I found this on youtube...not sure how long it will remain there
It is a new 20 minute insanity workout that doesn't come with the original Insanity. It is basically a one off workout for when you only have 20 mins...it has a lot of the insanity moves so maybe you could have a go at this to get a taster? Like I said sometimes these get removed. I haven't got this dvd or tried it out yet but might sub it next week when I have a cardio day

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fcaEOUXQ4U

MissTFied Fri 18-Jan-13 21:54:54

Hi Rollergirl,

I don't mind shouty Julian in RI30 - I find her amusing! It's all tongue-in-cheek. I think she annoys DP more than me. When he's in the room he'll pick up on her sayings.

You asked about motivation. Because I can see the results, this spurs me on. So if I have the time, I'll try to squeeze in another DVD. I'm also inclined to do 2 DVDs in order to feel the buzz. I guess the fitter you become, the harder you have to push yourself to achieve this. Also, I have quite an addictive nature!

And I find reading others' posts on here and posting myself helps a lot. I like to know what you all enjoy/dislike about the workouts and how hard you are all working. As Julian says about Basheera 'YOU'RE INSPiRATIONAL!'

Rollergirl1 Fri 18-Jan-13 22:20:22

Okay, talking about Julian's catchphrases, this has been bugging me. I realise that she's american etc, but does she say:

"Don't phone it in"? I'm pretty sure that's what she says but just wanted to check.

The other (trivial) things i didn't like about RI30 was how she kept saying things like "oh you're so pretty".

MissTFied Fri 18-Jan-13 22:24:24

CHST - just watched that Insanity video. Ooh err! Pretty intense. I thought initially, ok, not too bad, here comes some stretching too, and you get a water break! Then things really stepped up a gear. Poor Martin at the back. I like it that they have him stopping and starting. The girl is rather hardcore. I will attempt it! Thanks.

MissTFied Fri 18-Jan-13 22:28:10

Hi, yes she does say that Rollergirl! It's beyond annoying for me, so I turn it into one of her quirks! I mean, who goes around saying such things!

Rollergirl1 Fri 18-Jan-13 22:30:31

I watched the insanity video too and it scared the fuck hell out of me! I don't think my fitness is quite at that level yet grin

CHST Sat 19-Jan-13 09:44:45

the insanity workouts are 40ish mins in the first month which consist of 10 mins ish warm up of 3 times of 5 or 6 moves, 5 min stretch and then into 2 circuits done three times through each. You get a rest after each round. For the second month add another circuit 3 times through taking you up to 60 mins. The reason why there is barely any break in that 20 min workout is obviously to keep it on a par with the intensity of the insanity workouts so you feel the same as you would after the regular insanity I guess but when you are short on time. I will try it next week and let you all know how it compares with the regular insanity

PeggyO Sat 19-Jan-13 12:07:19

Good morning everyone!

I was meant to be going out with my running buddy this morning, but snow / ice put paid to that! I feel completely wiped out today after a frantic and draining week, so I think I will take my rest day today rather than tomorrow and hibernate indoors with blankets, hot water bottles and lots of tea...

MissTFied, sometimes I like to kid myself that I already have abs of steel in there somewhere, and that's why I don't really feel it...sadly, the mirror proves otherwise. I have definitely gained a little ab definition over the past few months, though. It's a start!

Rollergirl, I agree with MissTFied that as you get fitter it will feel natural to push yourself further with double DVDs etc. I was never much of an exerciser until about 18 months ago. The first time I went for a run I could barely do a minute at a time, and the first time I shredded (with bean tins not proper weights!) I struggled to get upstairs afterwards as I was shaking so much! Another thing that helps with my motivation is to plan out my workouts in advance and write myself a timetable - having something to tick off really makes sure I get on and do it. (That may just be the list obsessive in me, though!)

CHST, thanks for the link - I am terrified and tempted all at the same time. I might give it a go tomorrow if it's still to icy to run... (although given the state poor Martin was in by the end, I suspect I will be coughing up a lung or something.) Did you follow the diet plan with Insanity? The idea of having to eat loads of meat / protein shakes is something that puts me off a bit.

MissTFied Sat 19-Jan-13 12:19:47

Good afternoon all!

Well I never! I have just done L3 RI30...followed by that 20 min Insanity wordkout! Woohoo! Although I am slightly shaking as I type, I feel great for having done it. I admit there were times when I had to rest, but only for a couple of beats, and obviously for those power jumps where Shaun's buddies are unable to do it all too. I did enjoy the water breaks and stretches!

I also liked the countdown time on the bottom of the screen. Will definitely do it again. Off to shower away the sweat now.

I see why it's called Insanity!

PeggyO Sat 19-Jan-13 12:34:46

Waaargh, MissTFied, that is amazing! RI30 followed by Insanity - surely you deserve some kind of 'Jillian's star of the day' award. I am even more determined to do it tomorrow now!

CHST Sat 19-Jan-13 12:49:30

I didnt follow a diet plan, no. I eat generally pretty healthy. HOWEVER, in the second month, I got particularly hungry and tired. I was toying with getting a protein shake, didn't and wished I had...I hear it gives you more energy to do the workout so if I ever go for a second round or decide to do asylum then I would definitely have a protein shake, particularly as I am not a big eater and find it hard to eat what I would be able to get out of a shake

MissT you is officially "Well 'Ard" !!! Blimey, well done you. PeggyO are you going to try the scary Insanity workout too?

CHST thanks for linking that. I'm treating it a bit like a hand grenade at the mo but am going to try and watch it tomorrow and will then decide whether I'm insane enough to have a go!

Great to hear from you Rollergirl smile A combo of NMTZ and BFBM sounds excellent, certainly covers all bases!
I feel like you, lacking the va va voom to do back-to-back sessions. Good thing about Shed and Shred though is she keeps saying she wants you to do both levels together, so it might just help me get there!

So I did L1 S&S today and really enjoyed it. I'm really going to try and psych myself up to doing both levels tomorrow (so 1 hour in total). If I manage, I will reward myself by watching CHST's link grin

Have a good evening everyone x

Rollergirl1 Sat 19-Jan-13 19:15:18

Ahh, you lot have convinced me! I'm going to attempt that insanity work-out on Monday. Perhaps even tomorrow (but probably not) wink.

With regards to double sessions and fitness. It's weird, for me I have pits and troughs. A couple of years ago I was running 10k twice a week and swimming a couple of times a week too. I definitely felt very fit but not particularly strong. I hate running in the dark and the cold and so switched to Julian DVD's. Now I feel like I have a different type of fitness. I feel much stronger within my core, which I really like, but feel like i've lost my stamina. I'm sure if i did Julian and ran at the same time that i would find my running massively enhanced. But I've got out of the habit of running now, at least until it gets a bit warmer.

Peggy: How far do you run generally when you also do a Julian session too?

MissTFied Sat 19-Jan-13 21:33:54

Evening all!

Please don't think I'm showing off! I just can't believe it myself that I am able to attempt these sorts of things, so I have to post it! Before last autumn, I did absolutely no exercise whatsoever. I finally understand why people exercise. It has also helped me mentally.

Rollergirl - I feel like I have more stamina after doing Julian, but have not really put it to the test, other than running after DS on his balance bike down a long path (which I know I wouldn't have been able to do a few months ago). I think I would like to test if I can run, Julian certainly makes me feel like anything is possible.

Threesteps - good for you for doing S&S today, and I hope you manage to do both levels tomorrow as you want to do. The Insanity workout is quite funny to watch. It's like someone is pressing fast forward! When I did it this morning, I heard DP say to DS 'hold on a minute, I've got to watch mummy, I might need to take her to the hospital!'. Quite, quite mad!

PeggyO and Rollergirl - I look forward to reading your posts after Insanity!

MissT, you silly daftie x You don't sound like you're showing off at all, you should be rightly very bloody proud of yourself smile

It's reading about what you and others are achieving that help me stay motivated so please keep it coming, and thank you!

Rollergirl, go you! Will you report back on it?

I watched the link shock Two thoughts: How does 20 mins seem to go so slowly? and Is it not rather scary that even the head guy flakes out at one point?!!

I will keep that on the back burner for the mo but am definitely planning a double bubble tomorrow of S&S...

Off to find ice cream now, sure I have some in the freezer, will probably eat it wearing gloves and a hat though!

fadingblonde Sun 20-Jan-13 09:55:25

Morning everyone, thanks for the supportive messages, it's weird but I find just reading this thread encourages me to keep going. I used to go to the gym - barely been this I discovered Jillian - and I had to really push myself just to go even once a week. It just felt like a drag.

Anyway yesterday morning I did shred L2, and on the evening five circuits of BFBM and three of NMTZ's. I might go back to 6w6p today although at the moment I find the second circuit of NMTZ's seems more effective (painful) at targeting my abs. That could just be me though, I find it a bit fast so I don't think I do the exercises with good form...

I'm starting to think of what dvd to get next. My thighs are my real problem area, since doing Jillian my stomach looks better than it probably ever has - and that's after having two dcs and rapidly approaching 40. My thighs don't seem to have improved at all sad I can feel the muscle there under the fat but I don't want to build it up and have my thighs look bigger.

PeggyO Sun 20-Jan-13 10:06:32

I did the Insanity workout! And I survived! I wasn't as fast as they were, and my power jumps definitely weren't as...powerful, but I didn't have to stop so I felt like I beat Martin wink It seemed to go really quickly, and I surprised myself by enjoying the burpee push up jacks. Will definitely do it again.

MissT, of course you're not showing off! We're all here to share our workouts and motivate each other. I probably wouldn't have crawled out of my cosy bed to do Insanity this morning if it wasn't for you inspiring me!

Rollergirl, I usually do 5k when I am going to double up with a DVD. I think it's normal to go through different phases with exercise - I was doing a lot more running in the lead up to the Great South Run last October, but I knew that over the winter I would struggle to get out in the cold and dark (definitely empathise with you there!) so have focused more on DVDs since then. I do think a combo of running and Julian is a really good mix from a strength /stamina point of view.

Good luck with your double S&S today threesteps - you can do it!

PeggyO Sun 20-Jan-13 10:11:53

fading, have you done Killer Buns and Thighs? I haven't got it myself but it's meant to be an excellent thigh workout. I have also (weirdly) found that 6W6P has been making my thighs ache afterwards, since it has so many lunges and squats in it.

fadingblonde Sun 20-Jan-13 11:47:33

Peggy0 I'm considering getting Killer next but I'm just a bit worried I'll end up building up the muscle and making them look bigger. I should probably try and lose a few pounds and see if they go from my legs. In the past when I've got my thighs to a size I can tolerate everyone says the rest of me looks too skinny! I'm hoping with all this Jillianing I might be able to avoid looking skinny fat...

CHST Sun 20-Jan-13 11:50:31

Killer buns and thighs is one of my favourites...I love it!!!
PeggyO well done on doing insanity! You sound like you tackled it right...definitely good to go at your own pace so as not to compromise form...you can get faster quicker.

Insanity is 6 days a week 40 mins first month, 60 mins second month so you can see why it is not for the faint hearted and why I had some days of nearly quitting. It takes huge commitment mentally also.

When we were at my In laws, I stumbled accross a new insanity informercial, not the original one and my 3 year old DS shouted "mummy, look you've found your exercise!" lol!!

Rest day for me today, yesterday I had cardio which I found pretty tough...felt it on my chest so I hope I'm not coming down with something again. Not so much that I was dying but felt it and then a stretch which is always lovely.

fading I say this a lot but I cannot reccomend Bob Harpers dvds enough...they are an hour long but they are a step up from Jillian and are an all over body exercise..I think somewhere earlier in this thread I reviewed briefly the ones I had and which areas they targeted.

CHST Sun 20-Jan-13 11:52:45

and another thing fading there is nowt wrong with big thighs..Natalie has some pretty big thighs and her body is just awesome.

themaltesecat Sun 20-Jan-13 11:56:54

Going to have to get a Bob Harper DVD, CHST- "step up from Jillian" sounds wonderful and horrific all in one. And I second the recommendation of Killer Buns and Thighs- that is SUCH a good workout! Love it! fadingblonde, obviously we all react differently, but Killer really did shed some of the fat from my thighs and didn't add bulk at all. Only- my knees look sort of knobbly now! Never satisfied, are we. wink

Good going on all those doing Insanity! That is an intense workout, but why oh why do they all sweat and gurn so much? If someone tells me it's hard, it feels harder. I think that's why I like the background bints in BFBM and NMTZ so much... they make it look effortless, and I sort of forget how much I'm suffering. grin

themaltesecat Sun 20-Jan-13 12:00:15

Btw does anyone here use myfitnesspal? I'm on there as SarahtheJillianfanatic, would be ace to see some fellow Jillian/Julianers (all my friends on there are Turbofire, sumba and running-mad, it seems smile).

This thread is not accepting new messages.