JILLIAN MICHAELS (Shred/Ripped and all the rest) Part 3: Bringing our A-game [cheesy smile]

(1000 Posts)

Here is a new thread for Jillian Michael devotees!

Whatever JM DVD you are doing, come and check in here...
Any Insanity and Turbofire lurkers, come and join too!

Hello to all from the old thread and big welcome to anyone new, come and join us smile

MightTinge Fri 30-Nov-12 09:07:07

Can I ask how many days did people spend on L1 Shred before they went to L2? Im 5 days in on L1, I intended to do 10 but Im bored. Tempted to do L2 already...

xelliex Fri 30-Nov-12 11:19:37

Checking in, have done level 2 ripped, and level 3 of shred. Had forgot how torturous jumping lunges are! I must do more this weekend.

MightTinge I did level1 for 7 or 8 days and then started 'practicing' level 2 after I'd finished level 1. I think I did do the 10 days but was really bored by the end.

CHST Fri 30-Nov-12 17:42:07

did shed and shred level 2 today...got through the first three circuits thinking hmm not so bad and then 2 more circuits. Forgot there were 5 circuits and she saves the worst till last. circuit 4 is challenging and hate the jumping lunges in circuit 5. To give myself credit, I did follow B and add weight the whole way through which doesn't make it easier. Note to self next time...level 2 really messes up your hair!

notyummy Fri 30-Nov-12 21:17:48

Hi all. I hate jumping lunges too! I am sure by the time I am able to do any JM again they will utterly kill me! Did an illicit 3 mile (slow) run today as well as millions of repetitions of the exercises physio has given me- kind of Pilates things. Bizarre thing is that I have lost nearly 5 lbs in the last 3 weeks since I had to drastically reduce my exercise, with no alteration in diet. Muscle wasting? Or what? Tis a mystery.

MissTFied Fri 30-Nov-12 21:37:27

Hello everyone. I've been lurking for a while and reading all of your inspirational posts.
I'm so glad I started using Jillian's DVDs. The difference in my body shape is quite amazing, after only almost 2 months of daily exercise. I like to prod myself to feel the never before felt muscles coming through!
So far I have completed 30DS, and I'm currently doing alternate weeks of BFBM and NMTZ. As I have the box set, I will next do 6W6P, which sounds like a challenge.
Not sure what to go for after that though. Am I right in thinking each DVD is no easier/harder than another? Is it just a case of each one challenges you in the beginning and then your body gets used to it?
I can get a bit obsessional about things and don't want to overdo Jillian and get bored of her! Will this happen?!!

CHST Sat 01-Dec-12 18:57:46

notyummy how bizarre. Could be muscle loss, who knows?

Welcome MissTFied you can never get bored of Jillian IMO. I have done a lot of workouts and always come back to her after I've finished. I think you're right in that the DVDs are about on an even plain in terms of difficulty.

I did BFBM the first time for a long while. I did the whole thing and forgot what a bitch circuit 6 was. I used to HATE standing mountain climbers but after insanity have grown very used to them. I now HATE scissor hops...hate them! I felt like I had had a really good workout today though which makes up for the fact I had my first of what I can assume many mince pies today

xelliex Sat 01-Dec-12 21:51:16

notyummy that is strange, they say it's hard for women to put muscle on so you wouldn't think it would go that quickly either.

MissTfied the Jillian dvds are the only ones I've ever been able to do. When I've tried other ones in the past I've either not been able to figure them out - I'm totally uncoordinated - or they seemed too easy. I think I am a bit obsessed now! I've just gone and ordered 6w6p and bfbm - not sure what I was thinking there as I find her cardio the hardest part of her dvds. Oh well, the dangers of online shopping....

MissTFied Sat 01-Dec-12 22:17:20

Good to hear you are not bored of Jillian's DVDs, and by the sound of things, I am pleased I started with Jillian and not with any of the others as I may not have got this far. She certainly keeps me motivated! I can't understand how she cannot not work (?) for anyone!

I know what you mean re shopping on t'internet. I keep finding myself on Amazon, obsessively reading and re-reading the reviews of Jillian's DVDs!

Although I have three more days left of NMTZ, I couldn't wait to try 6W6P, so did NMTZ this am, and 6W6P this pm and I'm now snuggled up in bed with my muscles pleasantly buzzing away! Think I'll do the same tomorrow as the DC are away at DGPs. I wasn't sure about 6W6P at first, it is very fast and I'm not the most coordinated of people, but it definitely grew on me and seemed over in no time, especially as I'm used to doing 40 mins a day at the moment.

I took photos at the start of each DVD, so I'm going to get DP to snap me in my bra and pants tomorrow!

themaltesecat Mon 03-Dec-12 03:23:13

MissTFied, ared you me? I really thought I was the only saddo who obsessively read her DVD reviews on AmaZon (and elsewhere). :D

Did KBandT last night after only doing Shred2, NMTZ and BFBM for the last week. Love that workout (Killer)! Love it that the last circuit is relatively easy, so you forget how horrific it is the next time. My favourite is BFBM though... great for working up a vicious sweat.

LesleyPumpshaft Mon 03-Dec-12 17:03:32

GeekLove, I just did 30 Day Shred and it's day one of my period, I felt like I was going to faint or puke. It's an intense workout, but it's not made me feel sick before.

Mind you, the period pains don't seem so bad now. smile

Afternoon all!

Another person on the injury bench here. Mid-workout the day before yesterday my muscle (or tendon) or whatever it is that goes from the side of knee down the calf pinged again. This keeps happening, on and off, and needs about 4 days rest to recover again....grrr!

So no exercise for me, but today I have done some stomach crunches, fire hydrants, press ups etc. to keep me on track. In no way makes up for a proper JM session but better than nothing...

Hope everyone is doing okay - are we all JM'ing more furiously than usual in the run-up to Christmas? (or maybe, like me, thinking god that sofa looks comfy and wow that chocolate tastes good grin)

CHST Tue 04-Dec-12 22:14:41

did bob harper pure burn super strength yesterday and my body was so achy today after an hour of push ups, plank exercises, rows, flys, presses, squats and lunges,
did killer buns level 2 today, anita all the way through and "double dog dared" myself to do the scissor lunges...they felt as wierd as the first time I did rockstars. AF is in town and I always find the workouts harder. The last two exercises of circuit 4 are tough and hate one legged burpees too...need something tomorrow that will give my thighs and sore arse a rest. Suggestions?
threesteps get better soon. I am eating a lot of chocs recently which is why I am whooping my own arse in the exercise stakes

MissTFied Tue 04-Dec-12 23:31:03

Hi all - JM saddo back! ;-)
KB&T sounds good. I want to feel the burn, but not in an hour long Bob Harper DVD (yet).
Getting used to 6W6P after only 3 days, but I like to stick it out.
I remember finding rockstars impossible when I first saw them, CHST, but they are no problem now. I love finding out what my body is capable of.
I am afraid that I will get struck down by this virus that is sweeping the family and will be unable to exercise!
Off to find more reviews to read...

MightTinge Wed 05-Dec-12 07:05:10

Morning all!

Happy camper here! In on day 8 now (went away for the weekend so missed those ones out. And the difference is becoming obvious now and Ive lost nearly 4lb which is great. Im determined to fix my stomach muscles so, so far I seem to be winning all round. All for just 20 minutes a day.

Two friends have hears me raving about about the shred so they are starting it now. Im so pleased to have to some friends to go through it with.

CHST, how about revisiting Turbofire? Charleyn is probably quite upset with me as I've not moved her off the shelf in quite some time grin

MissT I hope you don't succomb to the virus. It's hellish to be struck down when you get into the swing of things...

MightTinge that is great news!!!! You must be so pleased. It is amazing how much effect a 20 minute workout can have isn't it? Yep, give me 20 mins rather than hours of phoning it in at the gym any day!!

Well still no improvement on my tendon twang, so today I did:

- stomach crunches
- bicycle crunches
- arm lifts lying down with weights
- fire hydrants
- press ups
- camel pose thing from Killer Buns
- deadlifts with big butt squeeze (nearly put my lower back out!)

I'm missing the cardio aspect, but I'm hoping by the weekend I may be okay to start again.

Have a great day everyone smile

gingercat12 Wed 05-Dec-12 14:08:02

Oh, threesteps it must be awful. You are so active anyway.

CHST I have just done D10 L2 of KB, so L3 tomorrow. I was thinking about "double dog daring", but maybe the next time. The rest seemed so much easier than the first time. How could I never do dancing crabs before?!

MightTinge Wow! You must be pretty persuasive. Your friends probably can see the changes in you already.

xelliex Thu 06-Dec-12 19:44:48

Evening all, got my new Jillian dvds today smile I did NMTZ last night so I tried BFBM - also got 6W6P - and was surprised I was able to do it. I'm usually done in after 2 minutes of cardio in shred and ripped but it seemed a lot easier. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not....

Aspiemum2 Thu 06-Dec-12 21:54:44

Lucky thing! Mostly I find it fine but this body was not built for those bloody side plank things ... Ouch!

MissTFied Thu 06-Dec-12 22:08:45

I agree re those side plank things. My arm wobbles like mad, and my lower leg slides on the carpet. I WILL conquer them though!

Aspiemum2 Thu 06-Dec-12 22:13:00

Yay, I feel better now grin

MightTinge Fri 07-Dec-12 11:42:17

Can I ask does anyone struggle when they are on their period?

Today and yesterday Ive really struggled, not in my muscles but in my body as a whole. Ive been getting through the sessions nicely and getting better. Npw all of a sudden Im shaking, dizzy and generally feeling fatigued during it.

I thought perhaps I was coming down with something but nothing came and I feel fine. The only thing different is that Im on my period. Could that be to blame?

CHST Fri 07-Dec-12 11:51:39

might definitely. Usually the second day is worst for me. I had to rethink what I was doing and go for something gentle...I just wasn't feeling it. How are you today?
threesteps I haven't visited Chalene in a while actually. I might try something now and again. I don't think I'd do her workouts as a programme again...mainly because I lost most of the weight from there and I don't want to lose any mrore weight (or of my boobs)

Yesterday I did three mini Bob harper workouts. They are the short bonus workotus on the dvds. One of them was a piece of piss, one was moderate and the one from the IMO hardest dvd was pretty tough going for a 10 minute work out! Why I saved that for last I don't know but it would be a great option for a workout when you are short on time.

I did Body Revolution workout 10 today. LOVE IT. It has got to be my alltime favourite workout I think, especially as it is perfect for getting aggression out and I needed to get some aggression out today. However, I really did get into it, particularly the weighted back lunges into high front kick and think I have pulled something in my right arse cheek....

MightTinge Fri 07-Dec-12 12:02:25

Today is the second day, and I feel good. Just really struggled through the session. I think I'll do level 1 for the next two days and then go back up again. Id rather that, then stop altogether.

CHST, I know what you mean about the boobs. Mine are invisible small and I want to hang on to the little I have!

MightTinge I definitely struggle more when I'm on. I just don't have as much stamina, so you are not alone.

Another non JM day for me today, but did my sets of exercises that don't need my knees to work. It's strange doing them without a format of sorts to follow though...

I'm going to jump back in tomorrow with BFBM I've decided. I've not done it for ages and I think it's the JM least likely to aggravate my knee chord whatever it is. Provided my knee is up to it, I think it may be a bit of a shock to the system!

Hope everyone has a great weekend, keep warm smile

gingercat12 Sat 08-Dec-12 12:04:08

I can remember now how hard I found KB L3. After D2 I saw myself in the mirror and my bum is really nice, but everywhere else I am black and blue (thanks scorpions and bow-position). I also cannot lift my arms due to that boxing thing on the floor, my shoulders and back are dead. So anyway KB seems to be working.

Hope everyone is feeling a bit better and Christmassy.

This thread is not accepting new messages.