Couch to 5K - to infinity and beyond...

(1000 Posts)

A new thread for those of us who started in January 2012 and anyone starting now. Everyone welcome for support, encouragement and occasional arse kicking smile

Chopstheduck Sun 03-Feb-13 07:05:07

really hoping it doesn't snow again here, but very well done to those who made it out in it!

I went again yesterday. Did day one of week 5, and at the end I just didn't want to stop and carried on til the end of the podcast! 11 minutes, new personal best! grin

I need some sort of exercise today and I'm not even sore, but I think I should probably resist the urge to go running again. Probably going to do a 16k bike ride instead. I need to burn some calories - it's the superbowl tonight and I'm planning some game food!

turningitaround Sun 03-Feb-13 11:47:04

Hello. Can I come back? I started in January 2012 and had just about made it to 5K when I discovered I was pregnant with DC3 ... (I pretty much stopped running straightaway and slid of the thread)
Anyway, DS was born 7 weeks ago, my pelvic floor feels 'safeish' and I've just been out for Run 1, week 1. It was tough.
I'm going to read through the thread now in the hope that a few people with names I recognise are still going strong, as already desperately seeking some motivation to get me through the first month (again)

Hi turningitaround I remember you! And congratulations on your pregnancy and ds smile I am now running 10k at least once a week and loving it!

Ezzza Sun 03-Feb-13 13:02:38

gringrin Just Skyped with my mum (I'm in China at the moment) and told her about couch to 5k and sent her the link. She decided she wanted to do it, so after I guided her through the download and transfer to iPod process she's decided to do her first run this afternoon. So I guess that means I'll have to keep going with this then. Next run planned for tomorrow.

After my first run on Friday I was a bit worried that maybe I hadn't worked hard enough (despite having a face the colour of the race track I ran on and barely making it up the stairs in my building afterwards) because my legs didn't hurt at all yesterday. Today, however, the inside of my legs are absolutely killing me! So I guess I worked hard enough after all. Note to self: make sure to stretch inner thigh after next run.

Thanks to Chopstheduck for the online pedometer link. I think that'll be really useful for me in planning routes after I fly home at the end of the month. smile

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Sun 03-Feb-13 14:51:40

Hello Ezzza! I know what you mean, my face is still beetroot after running, or any other exercise for that matter. I'm just resigned to it now... why do inner thighs hurt after running? I expected the fronts or backs of my legs to hurt but was surprised by the pain in my inner thighs!

Must be great to have someone to run "with" (even if only by skype!) envy I have failed to persuade either DH or DD to come with me. DH is very supportive and encouraging, and helpful in persuading me out of the door when I don't want to go, or cooking supper to be ready after I've come back and showered, but won't actually come with me [sulk]

frenchfancy Sun 03-Feb-13 15:03:58

Ezzza it is often a day later that your muscles hurt, I learnt that from horse riding, just when you think you've got away with it your legs tell you otherwise. Good on your Mum!

pennygallops Sun 03-Feb-13 15:18:04

Hi guys - lots of running going on out there over the weekend. smile
I have name changed - was shithappensx1000, but that shit happened 18months ago and things are moving in the right direction (but that's all a different thread in a different section).
So now I am pennygallops!

This weekend, I have done my local parkrun, in 33mins - I was running with my DS, so a bit slower than my PB. Then today, I decided to run for an hour and ended up doing 10k!! That was my first 10k smile.

Chopstheduck Sun 03-Feb-13 15:44:24

Sarah, I actually prefer going by myself - get away from them all for a bit, peace, quiet and I can go at my own pace!

I don't ache very often but if I do it usually my hips and hamstrings.

Welcome to the 10k club pennygallops, feel great doesn't it!?! I love that I can now just run, would be good to have more time and in sure there is a limit but haven't foun mine yet. Most I've done is 8.5miles. Actually went out today and was disappointed to only have done 33 mins, 5.65Km.

pennygallops Sun 03-Feb-13 17:19:55

That's a great pace though cinnamon. And yes it does feel good to complete 10k. Like you I'd like to know my limit.

I like running by myself - no iPod - just my own thoughts! But I also like the social aspects of the parkrun and I am doing the running with DS just to spend time with him.

The only time I've ached is after running on the snow.

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Sun 03-Feb-13 18:08:31

Eek, I've just signed up for race for Life... what have I let myself in for? Has anyone ever done it?

I walked/ran with my mum about 10 years ago, took me 53 mins SarahWithAFringeOnTop. Was a lovely morning, very supportive and friendly. Did a warm up aerobics type session with local radio dj's and then started. If you want to get a good time I suggest getting at the front as it took us a good 5 mins to actually get over the start line even though it was timed from the official start.

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Sun 03-Feb-13 18:55:47

Thanks cinnamon, that's really encouraging. I'm not bothered about getting a good time, just getting to the end (and not letting anyone down). Eek, sponsors!
Think local radio is quite involved here too. At least on the radio they can't see what I look like grin

Ezzza Mon 04-Feb-13 04:16:07

Phew! Just back in from Week 1 run 2. (8 hour time difference, not a loony 4am runner) I did it! grin That one wasn’t quite so hard, but I wonder if that’s partly down to me making a point of just jogging during the running bits. I had a horrid cold at the weekend, which has mostly gone now but the cough remains (and probably will for weeks now, as usual angry) but I didn’t want to wuss out after getting my mum started on this too. I didn’t want to have a coughing fit half way round so took some paracetamol before going out and just jogged for the running bits, which seemed to work because the coughing didn’t start up again until I came back in.

EmmoEmmoAllTheGang Mon 04-Feb-13 05:32:31

So glad I found this thread smile Im on week four day two today! Wanted dh to do it too...but lost him at week one day two! :-/Ah well! Lol. Keep harping on at him to start again. Its a great feeling to be progressing along the weeks.

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Mon 04-Feb-13 07:21:23

Ezzza, I'm still jogging rather than flat out running! I don't think I could manage 30 minutes going any faster than a jog, I'd never keep it up.

Ezzza Mon 04-Feb-13 09:36:14

Oh crumbs! I've just realised: this thread is a running club isn't it? I've just gone and joined a running club haven't I? How did that happen? confused

SarahWithAFringOnTop, I don't think what I did on Friday can be called a flat out run either! More like a jog. But what I did today could charitably be described as a shuffle. I don't think it would have been difficult to overtake me at a brisk walk. It only even counts as running because there were times when both my feet were off the floor! blush Glad I got out there though. smile

Chopstheduck Mon 04-Feb-13 11:59:58

I'm back from week5 , day 2. Feeling very pleased with myself. Was the superbowl last night, so I only had 3 hours sleep, and rather too much alcohol! But I had to go fetch the car from the station (dh took it this morning, then I remembered I need it later - doh!) so I went.

I ran straight past the car, couldn't stop! Did mile and half in 15 minutes non stop. grin

SamuelWestsMistress Mon 04-Feb-13 16:56:46

You're all doing really bloody well! It's so exciting. It's hard to explain bit I guess all the right hormones and chemicals must be getting released when you're doing this!

I've just had w5d1 today and it was great. Plus I did an extra 2.5km on the way back to the car just to see what I could do!

I've ordered some more clothing this week as well. Really like the Under Armour stuff, so I've ordered some legging. Hopefully will be a bit warmer than the Adidas ones I have just now. Looking forward to running in the warmer weather though. It was snowing and windy today (50mph gusts!) which made the hills rather more hideous than usual!

What are everyone's aims once you've reached your goal distances. Will you go further or just stick to 5 or 10km?

GoingBackToSchool Mon 04-Feb-13 21:24:59

Hi everyone,
I feel a bit of a cheat posting here as I've not actually started running yet but I am really keen to get going. The issue is I have to trainers and I'm not sure where to get any/how much they would cost! Anyone got any suggestions? I'm so determined to start running but feel like if I don't start soon I never will! smile

Hi GoingBackToSchool! These were my first pair, these were my second pair but £47 when I bought them and these look pretty good for the money.

GoingBackToSchool Mon 04-Feb-13 21:56:51

Thanks! It just seems like there's so many to choose from!

battyfum Tue 05-Feb-13 02:20:34

Well I went out last night, and ended up going over on my ankle sad in quite a bit of pain (hence why awake at this time) so that is me not being able to run for a short while sad

Keep up the good work everyone, and good luck with week one Ezzza and GoingBack. Will be back to join you all again once my ankle is ok to run on.

Ezzza Tue 05-Feb-13 03:11:46

Ooh ouch! Sorry to hear about the ankle battyfum. sad

Chopstheduck Tue 05-Feb-13 07:10:22

oh no battyfum, hope your ankle is better soon.

My knee is still healing, plus my ankle on the other leg is hurting this morning, I will be limping up the school this morning! I'm sure it will be fine by tomorrow though.

I have no idea what my eventual target will be yet, SamuelWestsMistress. When I started I never really thought I'd get to 5k, now I'm tentatively wondering if I could work up to 10k, we shall see!

I have these trainers Adidas Kanadia they are trail running shoes, have really good grip in the mud (and snow!). I like running offroad and I can run through the mud while dh slides all over the place grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.