At last - here it is! BIWI's 2 week Low Carb Bootcamp - starts tomorrow - sign in here

(1000 Posts)
BIWI Sun 15-Apr-12 22:36:38

Lots of you have said you want to do this - now it's time to put your money where your mouth is, so to speak.

Oh, alright, it's free. grin

The plan is that we have two very strict weeks of low carbing. Which is why, doh, it's called a bootcamp.

There are 'rules of engagement' for the fortnight - but they're different if you're carnivore or a vegetarian. I shall post the rules for us carnivores, and flipflopflap will post the rules for those of you that are vegetarians.

Sign in with your starting weight - in pounds, stones and pounds, kilos or - if you don't want to reveal your weight, with 100 as an index - and what you're wanting to achieve in the two weeks. I know that not everyone is doing this for the purpose of weight loss, so you don't have to do this if you don't want to - but tell us what you want this fortnight to help you achieve.

The Carnivore Rules

1.Eat three, proper meals a day.
You must eat breakfast. It doesn’t have to be a lot, but you must have something. For the rest of the day, if you’re eating enough food and you are in ketosis then you shouldn’t be hungry. But if you are hungry, eat something. (Hard boiled eggs make a great snack)

2.Avoid processed food
Focus on pure, natural protein as the basis for your meals – meat/fish/eggs. Things like sausages, ham, bacon, pre-prepared burgers etc should be avoided as much as possible. You can have them, but just not every day. Avoid foods marketed as low carb, e.g. Atkins Daybreak bars.

3.Eat lots of fat.
Eating fat helps you to burn fat. Honestly! Fry in butter, add butter to vegetables, eat salad with a home-made vinaigrette dressing (not made with balsamic vinegar though, as this is too sweet), add mayonnaise where you can (just check the carb count on your mayo first). Eat fattier cuts of meat – e.g. pork belly, roast chicken with the skin on and/or eat the fat off your lamb chops. Absolutely no low fat/light foods of any kind!

4.Make sure you are eating vegetables and salads with your food
This is where your carbs should come from, and this is non-negotiable. But choose only those vegetables that are on the allowed list. You don’t have to weigh/count carbs – this is one of the great joys of this WOE (way of eating), but if you’re new to low carbing it can be helpful to weigh your portions of veg in the early days, just so that you know how many carbs are in the sort of portions that you like to eat

*5.Be careful about dairy (apart from butter, which is unlimited). It can impede weight loss for some people. If you are still drinking tea/coffee with milk or cream, try to restrict yourself to max 2 cups per day. You may eat cheese, but don't overdo it. Full fat yoghurt is the best way to include dairy in your diet - but beware, it does contain carbs. Total Full Fat is the best.

6.You must drink a minimum of 2 litres of water per day.
The more weight you have to lose, the more water you should drink

7.No alcohol
If you really can't do this - at least try and restrict it to the weekend. Vodka with soda is the best thing to drink. Or Champagne, red wine or dry white wine.

8.No fruit
Really. Seriously. Honestly. None at all. Zilch. Nada.

9.No nuts/seeds
Whilst these are really good to snack on later - it can be too easy to start snacking on these - and before you know it, all your carbs have gone on nuts. Seriously - in bootcamp - don't do it to yourself.

10.No sugar or artificial sweeteners

PorkyandBess Wed 18-Apr-12 19:18:15

I have just eaten TWO pistachio nuts. Is that bad?

I have had a good day - scrambled eggs and then broccoli & cheese soup for lunch. Made by dh - it was gorgeous!

Having oven baked chicken & veg for dinner.

I went to the gym and worked very hard and felt surprisingly good.

BIWIWhoMustBeObeyed Wed 18-Apr-12 19:18:51

How much dairy have you been eating, moonmother? Could it be that?

Re the MiM - I have no idea! Why not give it a whirl? The sweetener would be artificial, so go easy on that, and also the cocoa if you use that as a flavouring.

KeepOrf - a weigh-in tomorrow might be good - but we'll have to start a separate thread for it as this one is rapidly running out of steam!

Shirl - GO TO THE GYM!

Tw1t - Instead of celeriac mash, why not try cauliflower?

Tonight's dinner is chicken breast, with some sliced red jalapenos and sundried tomatoes (in oil) with pancetta wrapped round the lot, with black pepper, oregano and drizzled with olive oil, then baked till the pancetta is crispy. Mash and salad to go with it - mashed swede for me instead of potato mash.

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 18-Apr-12 19:20:44

We weighing in tomorrow?

BIWIWhoMustBeObeyed Wed 18-Apr-12 19:22:32

Two pistachio nuts?! shock Off with your head!

..... I think in the grand scheme of things that's probably alright grin

BettyBathroom Wed 18-Apr-12 19:23:59

Felt a bit spaced out today & slightly dizzy - had a nap in the afternoon which just made me more groggy. sad

B Scrambled eggs with cumin, garlic & vinegar - v nice but needed some green veg
L Omelette with cheese & Green Beans - v dull
D Spinach & ricotta gnocchi with tomato sauce - just what I needed a hit of Italian food and it has sorted me right out....was hoping the kids would leave some behind but no luck, clean plates all around a definite hit!

moonmother Wed 18-Apr-12 19:24:04

Biwi not a great deal, a bit of milk in my tea ( can't drink it black), butter o veg, in cooking etc .

I'm not eating anything that I wouldn't normally eat - just in different quantities.

BIWIWhoMustBeObeyed Wed 18-Apr-12 19:25:45

Why not list what you've had, to see if we can help? It sounds most odd.

Betty - how many carbs in that gnocchi?!

betty gnocchi is made with potato which you shouldnt really have in bootcamp. Just saying.

Will give the large MIM a try. I only have splenda (which I hate) but wanted to try some Stevia as it is natural... will only use a little bit of splenda and a little bit of cocoa.

NotMostPeople Wed 18-Apr-12 19:31:23

PostBb & Tea thank you for your fat explanations I get it now. It's just so counter intuitive, but I'm more than happy to carry on buttery scrambled eggs this lunchtime were yummy.

Chicken stir fry for supper was delish. I'm still much more hungry today, but have decided not to resist and just keep eating as the alternative is to head for carbs and I've got this far.

BettyBathroom Wed 18-Apr-12 19:38:14

Gnocchi doesn't have to have potato, it can be made of many different things, butternut squash, sweet potato, ricotta & spinach as I have made here! grin

It has only 6g of carbs if served as suggested with sage butter, but I made some tomato sauce because I was a bit worried they'd taste like guff and then I could quickly feed the kids pasta and make something for myself later - so I probably need to add a couple more grams for the sauce.

londonone Wed 18-Apr-12 19:40:17

Oooh Betty that sounds good. What is your gnocchi recipe?

TheShapeJaper Wed 18-Apr-12 19:52:05

Having a MiM then! I usually just add a tsp or so of cinnamon to mine. I'm being lazy and can't be arsed to cook anything so I'll have one of those with some cream cheese and ham or something. Had pretty much a whole roast chicken at lunchtime so, needless to say, I don't have much of an appetite but need to eat something.

BettyBathroom Wed 18-Apr-12 19:52:45

I meant sweet potato, butternut squash or ricotta & spinach gnocchi before I get told off for the sweet potato. wink

Will post the recipe later - it's just fab.

FauxFox Wed 18-Apr-12 19:57:15

I'd like that recipe too betty smile

Good day today though I have felt a bit odd on and off and headachy. Had a few of the kids bits of roasted courgette and a couple of slices of salami as a snack and have changed dinner to be flat mushrooms stuffed with leek and blue cheese with garlicky spinach and celariac chips as i'm all cold and a bit pathetic and didn't feel like salad!

DH has helpfully opened a delicious bottle of red wine but I shall resist. Have drunk at least a gallon of water today! Cheers!

MrsNouveauRichards Wed 18-Apr-12 20:06:32

Betty, that sounds like how I feel, really woozy and like I will fall over. Very strange. The gnocchi sounds yummy.

Are we weighing in tomorrow?

Going to have to get me some ground flaxseed (linseed did you say it is? It helps horses put weight on and gives them a super shiny coat grin )

well just trebled my MiM and didnt put any sugar/splenda in, its not my favourite thing, but would do as a quick breakfast slathered in phillie cheese.

sorry betty had assumed spud gnocchi. blush

would also like your recipe for non spud one too.

flipflopflap Wed 18-Apr-12 20:13:32

Ooh yes Betty, post the gnocchi recipe, it sounds delicious!

ShirtyKnot Wed 18-Apr-12 20:16:33

I'm just looking at linseed here and I'm all staggered and amazed at how good for you it is.Cor!

Which is best for baking?

MariaCallous Wed 18-Apr-12 20:22:14

Day 3 done. At home w the smalls today and thought I'd fall off the wagon but too scared of BIWI... Brekkie 2 boiled eggs mashed in a cup with butter, lunch salad w m&s piri piri chicken and a dollop of cheese and chive dip, had sausage snack and dinner was chicken w mushroom and courgette plus some lettuce w cheese and caeser dressing. Big walk with the double buggy. Can't keep count on water front. So thirsty though.

littlemagic Wed 18-Apr-12 20:25:29

If you have scrambled egg and bacon for bfast how many bacon do you have? No creme eggs today! (so proud of myself) today i ate b= bacon and scrambled egg. Was on the go at lunch so picked up two slice of roast beef from morrisons and a babybel cheese. D= steak,mushrooms, roasted Veg.

BIWIWhoMustBeObeyed Wed 18-Apr-12 20:27:58

grin

I'm so scary.

Acksherly - back in the day when I was a young research trainee, I discovered that a lot of the secretaries were frightened of me. I have no idea why. I'm generally pretty polite and quite shy. (OK, I'm not shy now, but I was very shy in those days).

TheShapeJaper Wed 18-Apr-12 20:43:53

Just written a shopping list for tomorrow - it consists soley of the ingredients from the recipe thread. Going to waitrose, might plant the list and see if someone starts a thread about it. Celeriac, double cream, blue cheese, etc etc. not a carb in sight grin

MNP Wed 18-Apr-12 20:44:33

D:roast belly pork with raw beansprouts with mayo.

3 ltrs drunk.

KeepOrfThemCarbs Wed 18-Apr-12 20:46:43

Apparently I am scary at work - someone told me. I was a mixture of horrified and deeply, deeply impressed. grin

BIWIWhoMustBeObeyed Wed 18-Apr-12 20:48:51

At least you're tall and have some physical presence!

This thread is not accepting new messages.