love bombing... 15 minutes in and I give up

(38 Posts)
ILetHimKeep20Quid Sun 29-Sep-13 07:59:13

7 yr old ds.

I read the book on love bombing, right it would be really beneficial. Ear marked today to give it a go. He's got out of bed moaning, refused every suggestion and attached conditions to the rest. For example, I asked if he wanted to go out for breakfast. Only if I get him a toy when we're there.

He's glued to cartoon network and given free reign that'll be the same all day.

IsItMeOr Thu 03-Oct-13 22:36:59

Well done ILet, that sounds like really positive progress smile.

Parmarella Wed 02-Oct-13 08:22:24

I think quality one on one is imporant for boys, it should have a positive effect for both of you smile

ILetHimKeep20Quid Wed 02-Oct-13 07:51:04

Thanks for all the supportive advice.

Decided that a weekend or night just isn't going to be possible for some time so worked out little sessions. 30 minutes after his brother goes to bed, before his bed time are now known as Super Mummy Time. His name!

We've always used this time for bedtime stories etc but now it's super concentrated on him and what we also is his choice. Which is why I watched 20 minutes if minecraft videos explaining the different types of tnt available last night. The night before was in bed reading beanos! But it's just us, we're cuddled up, I'm swamping him with cuddles and kisses, tucking him I to bed and telling him I love him lots.

Fingers crossed!

IsItMeOr Sun 29-Sep-13 20:00:58

That's tough, ILet, and of course none of us approach Lovebombing in the first place if we aren't completely exhausted with trying everything else and the sheer battle that everyday life feels like.

Could DP take a couple of days off work so that you could focus on DS? I know leave will be precious, but sounds like this is desperate times.

ILetHimKeep20Quid Sun 29-Sep-13 19:33:50

Yeah I'm going to struggle to get complete one to one time with him.

IsItMeOr Sun 29-Sep-13 19:04:32

Well done ILet, that sounds much more positive.

It doesn't sound like you're ready to do the lovebombing just yet. You do need to plan it, and find a time when you can give the individual DC your undivided attention (it sounds like his brother has been there all along?).

Good luck getting to a happier footing. It can be tough, but so worth it.

ILetHimKeep20Quid Sun 29-Sep-13 13:04:34

Still no screens. He's done more craft and played with his brother. And been put playing lots. Dh finishing early so die home soon and were going to do something.

I think I put high expectations on myself as well.

claraschu Sun 29-Sep-13 13:02:37

Then maybe try giving yourself a timeout when he starts doing things to annoy you. Lavish attention on him in a very low key way (not buying things or doing special trips, which seem to make him demand more and more, but things like reading out loud, playing games, watching a favourite film together, cooking together, etc). I would eliminate sources of negotiation and argument, such as screens and junk food. I would keep talking to school about social problems, and try to help him as much as you can with his dyslexia, so he can gain confidence academically.

I am saying this is what I would do, but I know that all of these things can be difficult, and I would have numerous failures along the way. These are just the things which come into my head after reading your posts-

ILetHimKeep20Quid Sun 29-Sep-13 11:35:15

I think so.

claraschu Sun 29-Sep-13 11:27:25

That is lovely- he's being sweet now. Do you know what turned everything around? Was it you taking yourself off for a bit that made him disengage from the power struggle?

IsItMeOr Sun 29-Sep-13 11:06:43

Forgot to say. DS was pretty challenging for some chunks of the lovebombing weekend we did - eg didn't touch his dinner that he chose on the first night.

But I think this is part of the readjustment you need to happen in your relationship. And the important thing is that DS is getting the message that you love him, no matter what.

Have you tried just saying yes to him, unless it's an actual danger or you can't afford it? It's a huge challenge to start with, but that's the experience that you're trying to have together.

RippingYarns Sun 29-Sep-13 10:54:17

Then my advice is to stop threatening and just keep to the job in hand.

If you need him to stop playing xbox or whatever, because it's time for dinner, actually say 'in ten minutes we are having dinner. You will have to stop doing ... then' give him a clock/timer and let him know what ten minutes time looks like and again tell him this is when he has to stop.

If you then tell him x,y and z will happen, and it doesn't then he has no reason to believe you. If you up the severity of the threats, he could panic about what you really mean and that is where his shouting etc will come in

ILetHimKeep20Quid Sun 29-Sep-13 10:50:05

Like now he's tripping over himself to please me, doing craft a d now he's out to pick apples to make a crumble. This was the day I wanted, it's just his behaviour at the start of it has pissed me of so much.

ILetHimKeep20Quid Sun 29-Sep-13 10:48:02

Sleep. Yeah I'd say so. He goes to bed around 7.30 but reads until about 8.30 then up between 7 and 8. Some nights it's a total carry on though a d he can come down 3 or 4 times.

We have charts the ot made us for morning an evening routines which help.

ILetHimKeep20Quid Sun 29-Sep-13 10:46:00

I say a lot but enforce very little. The ten minute warning isn't even timed and there's a lot of shouting ending in me turning it off, him going into meltdown, getting sent to his room and lots of tears.

Which is why I just want to eliminate the temptation of them all together.

Dh works weekends which are my toughest time.

Parmarella Sun 29-Sep-13 10:35:40

Two questions: does het get enough sleep?

Do you have a DP? I find having the back up of the other parent, same rules, helpful. It is harder shen he is abroad for work!

RippingYarns Sun 29-Sep-13 10:35:15

If you've given say, the ten minute warning to turn off the computer, do you give him consequences?

ILetHimKeep20Quid Sun 29-Sep-13 10:28:35

That's infuriating Savoy and we've never went down that route.

ILetHimKeep20Quid Sun 29-Sep-13 10:27:03

I need to do something.

I find him so infuriating. I just want to stop trying. He's always, always pushing for something else. Say if we're going somewhere he wants to take someone. If we agree to watch a film he wants something else on top of it, we go to a castle he's along all the way round for a toy from a shop. He gets 15 minutes on the computer he's pushing for 20. I never enter into negotiations with him but he doesn't stop trying.

I've came back down ans he's tidied up the living room and drawn me a picture. But he's asked 5 times for a shot on my iPad.

The tv has been off since. I first posted, but I'm that annoyed I don't really want to interact with him.

SavoyCabbage Sun 29-Sep-13 10:23:05

I'm a bit like that too Parm. We went to dinner at someone's house last night and the dad was asking all the kids what colour plate they wanted then they all started fighting because they were disappointed with what colour they got. Madness.

We have an hour tv at night as part of our bedtime routine. Then they know they are getting it.

Parmarella Sun 29-Sep-13 09:44:47

I am naturally laissez faire nd relaxed, but my children ( same SEN as you) crave structure, rules and clear boundaries.

Boring! But it works.

They are allowed 30 mins screen time in the morning and one hour in the aftenoon. I give " 5 minutes to end" warning.

When they complained that they had only had 5 minutes, not half an hour, I started using the egg timer. That felt fair to them. Still use it at times.

Bed time and bed time routine set in stone, pretty much, but always room for a chat and cuddle and a bit more of a cuddle and chat.

Also do thinks as unhurried as possible ( less stress) and with advance warning ( we are leaving in 10 minutes, please get your shoes on, etc).

I don't give them a lot of choice, or negotiations about stuff. I mostly tell them what we are going to do, eat, watch. I find telling, not asking to work well. If they have suggestions, I listen, I am not some sort of dictator, and I might say it is ok ( if it is ) or just" good idea but we are not doing that this time"

I am not saying my way is the only way, just that I figured out being a slightlymore firm parent than I would be naturally works for them.

They know where they stand and they like that.

We don't do endless negotiations, but if they are upset I will sit down and listen and say that I understand that they are upset, but that what they want just is not possible right now.

IsItMeOr Sun 29-Sep-13 09:42:15

Hi ILet, it sounds like you're not ready to do the Lovebombing today.

For those who say it's just half an hour, that's the maintenance. The first step is ideally a whole weekend, which you engage the child in planning. It's special time just with one child and one parent (so no friends).

It sounds like you might have skipped over the planning stage ILet?

I was terrified when I did the overnight away in a hotel with 3.5yo DS, but more desperate. It was really good for me to build my confidence that I could cope with DS.

I don't think dyslexia and dyspraxia would mean that lovebombing wouldn't work. It does sound like there's either something else going on, or you really, really need the lovebombing.

SavoyCabbage Sun 29-Sep-13 09:36:20

What would he want to do if you switched off the tv etc?

ILetHimKeep20Quid Sun 29-Sep-13 09:28:24

I've came back to bed for lie down. I can't cope with him and I don't want to spend my day negotiating with him or persuading him to do something

ILetHimKeep20Quid Sun 29-Sep-13 09:27:11

Latest negotiation is "we can go to the soft play as long as I can take Sam or Dylan or.... (anyone he can think of)"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now